Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I remember talking with a friend when it was announced that we were hoping they wouldn't have the seeds/planter stuff in the remake. Hopefully that Planter level helps mitigate that issue without introducing any new issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sayara
May 10, 2009

ASenileAnimal posted:

i hope they redo the magic attacks in the sd3 remake i remember it being kinda slow paced on the snes version and i dont have the patience to sit through long spell animations anymore. my goto crew was kevin/hawkeye/whoever can cast saber spells. that combo abolutely melted every boss.

There was also the thing that while magic stuff was slow with animations, the bosses would also counter that magic and t2-3 limit breaks with some strong spells, so easiest strat would be kevin/hawkeye/the buff amazon gal and using basic attacks and 1st limit break, so they wouldn't get countered and you could just breeze through everything.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm playing Trials with Rietz, Hawkeye and Angela. What should I be doing on the stat level up increases? I've tried to even everyone's stats out a bit but that feels like a dumb idea.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
For everyone not named Hawkeye, you can ignore agi.
The stat is broken and only slows trap wheels for anyone else.
You only need one character to pump luck (whoever you have open chests) because it's also broken.
Generally, you'll want to focus on vit and whatever their damage stat is, int for Angela, str for Riesz and Hawkeye.
Spi is still useful for magic defense and light spells, but its much less important as you don't have any healers in this party.
Don't worry too much about early stats, when you rank up it puts all your stats at the previous classes cap.
When you rank up you'll want to put a couple points into int and spi to unlock spells for Angela and Riesz and also agi for some of Hawkeye's classes.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 23, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You don't have to worry about it too much since the game will eventually force you to put stat points into other less good stats. But yeah, just focus on the dmg stats for the most part, and maybe look up stat requirements for spells, though it's usually Int or Spi.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Evening out stats is bad for sure. Angela especially you want to focus on Vitality even over Intelligence just because she's so goddamn frail. Only level up her Intelligence every time you get a new spirit to proc learning the associated elemental spell, otherwise Vitality when you can and Spirit when you can't. Riesz will be your tankiest character, but should focus on Strength, and then Vitality, with Intelligence if you can't do either. Hawkeye should do the same, but with Luck as the tertiary stat - his is already pretty high and you don't need it that much higher.

You don't need to worry about leveling Hawkeye's Agility until you class change once, then you'll need to raise it every now and again for new spell breakpoints. Riesz I THINK needs Spirit to learn her buffs or debuffs in her class changes, though I might be thinking of Duran. Angela only ever needs Intelligence, so her strategy never needs to change even when she classes up. It's a fairly decent party you've got here, you should be okay if you abuse Poto Oils once you get to the Black/Night Market in Beiser.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The one thing dampening my Trials hype right now is the lack of coop. That was kind of a big deal to the SD3 experience to me :smith:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bean posted:

I'm playing Trials with Rietz, Hawkeye and Angela. What should I be doing on the stat level up increases? I've tried to even everyone's stats out a bit but that feels like a dumb idea.

Just want to note that you've made it a bit harder on yourself by choosing the only party composition without a healer. There's a town called Byzel with a famous black market that sells advanced healing items (like poto oil) that you will likely need in the later stages of the game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BrokenLink posted:

For everyone not named Hawkeye, you can ignore agi.
The stat is broken and only slows trap wheels for anyone else.
You only need one character to pump luck (whoever you have open chests) because it's also broken.
Generally, you'll want to focus on vit and whatever their damage stat is, int for Angela, str for Riesz and Hawkeye.
Spi is still useful for magic defense and light spells, but its much less important as you don't have any healers in this party.
Don't worry too much about early stats, when you rank up it puts all your stats at the previous classes cap.
When you rank up you'll want to put a couple points into int and spi to unlock spells for Angela and Riesz and also agi for some of Hawkeye's classes.

spirit/piety influences the effectiveness of poto oils too, because you're really just casting heal light. every party needs heal light in some fashion, whether that's as a native spell or an item-assisted one. in this case, that basically means that lise/riesz should be the one throwing the poto oils.

Torrannor posted:

Just want to note that you've made it a bit harder on yourself by choosing the only party composition without a healer. There's a town called Byzel with a famous black market that sells advanced healing items (like poto oil) that you will likely need in the later stages of the game.

there are plenty of no-healer party compositions, this is just the only one where none of their classes can heal at all.

it's not a big deal, this is an easy game and the power you're getting from the buff-debuff-nuke trifecta means you need a lot less healing. definitely stock up on poto oils and the various claws at the black market though.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 23, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, relying on items that are only available from one shop in the entire world to substitute for what you're missing in your party comp isn't the most intuitive thing to grasp

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
The last time I played this game was in high school with the rom hack, and back then I went Rietz/Hawkeye/Carlie.

I'm SO GLAD I didn't pick Carlie this time because I don't need her uwuing through the game. Who in the world thought that translation was okay?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Bean posted:

Earlygame:

Level Strength, Stamina (or was it Constitution?), and Intelligence in that order. Those three stats determine physical damage, physical defence and HP, and magic attack AND magic defence for the usual magic. If you can't level either of those, increase Spirit (magic attack and magic defence against Spirit-based magic; this includes all your healing spells, your light-elemental spells, and summon spells; as well as items based on those spells).

After the first class change, you usually need to put points into Agility for Hawkeye in order to learn his spells (Agility also increases the damage for most of his spells, with the exception of certain ones) He has the highest Agility and Luck caps which help with dodging chest traps and getting good items so he will be the one you need to switch to when you open chests. His biggest problem thusly is that he wants to raise a lot of stats, but if you go with the Dark classes, you basically won't need to raise Spirit at the very least. Angela should shift towards Intelligence > Stamina > Spirit to increase her spell power (and Strength when you can't do either of them, Hawkeye covers Agility and Luck so there's no need to raise those once you've class changed). Riesz should shift to Strength > Stamina > Spirit until she learns her buffs/debuffs, then shift towards Strength > Stamina > Intelligence (and Spirit if you can't do either of those three) after class changing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Allarion posted:

To be fair, relying on items that are only available from one shop in the entire world to substitute for what you're missing in your party comp isn't the most intuitive thing to grasp

That market literally exists to keep the game from being unwinnable it feels like

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

New gameplay trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKoa_56t8HM

:eyepop:

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 5, 2020

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Can't wait to get my hands on this game. :eyepop:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The music :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm legitimately more excited for this than the FF7 remake.

mainly because i don't have a ps4

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I about jumped out of my seat in joy when the intro to High Tension Wire kicked in. I didn't think I could be any more hyped and then they went and did that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Holy crap they aren't just doing a neat little reskin but a full blown redesign of combat and how you get abilities. Nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Have we always known it was coming to Steam? I missed that and am now quite happy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, the only reason it wasn't announced with the initial trailer is it was part of Nintendo's E3 direct.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Have we always known it was coming to Steam? I missed that and am now quite happy.
They did on the day they announced it (but a bit after the Nintendo Direct), plus PS4. I was excited even though the Collection of Mana wasn't slated for anything but Switch which bummed me out a bit.
(But I just recently got a Switch and Collection of Mana was my first game :getin:)

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
I need this game to be good. I want more mana games

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

So awesome. SD3 had amazing music, and hearing them being faithful to it makes me really happy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Edit: ^^^^^^

Holy poo poo my excitement for this game has been renewed. This looks like it's going to be really fun to play in addition to the added benefit of the massive nostalgia wave I already knew we'd be getting.

There was so much cool stuff in that video, but I just have to say one thing I'm sad about it the lack of wolf transformation animation for Kevin. I know, removing it makes the combat much more seamless; you can tell that just from watching the video. But the old animation and sound effect always just got me so pumped to start roundhouse kicking rabites and I can't help but be a little disappointed there's no new and improved version in this game. Maybe if I'm lucky it'll be a toggle...

But yeah, the music, the voice acting, the art style, and the dedication to the source material—it all looks great. Love those upgraded class outfits.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Wow I was afraid they would just upgrade the graphics but the music and new gameplay elements look amazing! One of the big problems with the original is that some classes are just way better than others. Looks like they're fixing that!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is good. I love this. Even Carlie sounds less annoying.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m excited to finally make Duran a light class since shields will actually do something finally!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m excited to finally make Duran a light class since shields will actually do something finally!

Even though shields didn't do anything making him a Lord was good because you could get multi-target heal light and take someone else in place of Carlie.

This kind of crept up on me with big name games like Doom and RE3 Remake being released in the coming months. I've played through SD3 on the SNES probably about 50 times over the years and can't wait to go into this with my old Death Hand/Necromancer/Star Lancer murder squad. They can even make it so Energy Ball actually works this time.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Even though shields didn't do anything making him a Lord was good because you could get multi-target heal light and take someone else in place of Carlie.

This kind of crept up on me with big name games like Doom and RE3 Remake being released in the coming months. I've played through SD3 on the SNES probably about 50 times over the years and can't wait to go into this with my old Death Hand/Necromancer/Star Lancer murder squad. They can even make it so Energy Ball actually works this time.

Wasn't it the Lord class who also had the status immunity shield? Considering that part actually did work, it made it the best shield.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SD3 had a bunch of annoying glitches. Critical hits were non-existent, some stats did nothing, shields didn't work, sometimes you wouldn't get the proper ??? items when you planted them. Very excited to see this game in a new skin.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really need to replay the original before I get this one. I probably won't be able to go back to it afterward, you know?

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

seiferguy posted:

It's still sad how the later part of the game is clearly unfinished :smith:

Speaking of Secret of Mana: isn't there a spot in the game where you can get infinite orbs for a weapon?

So I think this might have gotten skipped with that awesome trailer, but you can find them all by farming enemies on the Mana Fortress. I don't recall what the drop rates are like, but at some point I was able to get them all.

The Werewolf lords drop the glove orbs, the tan devil heads drop the axe, the blue slimers drop the spear, the Terminators (gold knight looking dude) drops the whip, the blue crab drops the bow, and the flying golden eyeball enemies drop the javelin or boomerang.

I know there is one more, but it's not burned into my brain like all the rest.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
SoM doesnt feel super unfinished outside of dyluck. i assume a cut scene reveals he has a huge dong.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I streamed Secret of Mana co-op a few years back (which was a beautiful, hilarious trainwreck), and that game's second half is absolutely unfinished.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So close yet feels so far

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

We've got some samples of the Trials of Mana Remake OST and holy poo poo it slaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1AwfIztrU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Beefstew posted:

I streamed Secret of Mana co-op a few years back (which was a beautiful, hilarious trainwreck), and that game's second half is absolutely unfinished.

Did the remake fix any of this, or is it just a re-skin of the entire old game?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

No Wave posted:

SoM doesnt feel super unfinished outside of dyluck. i assume a cut scene reveals he has a huge dong.

The Republic of It’s Just A Single Castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Frankly SoM is about 2-3 steps away from being an unplayable mess, which makes sense given its troubled development. I don't think it's a very good game at all, but of course some will embrace its jank and idiosyncrasies more than others,