Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What are the general thoughts about OP 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why did Mayuri hate Urahara so much? The dude only broke him out of jail and gave him his drat job

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He hates being considered second fiddle

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parrotine posted:

Why did Mayuri hate Urahara so much? The dude only broke him out of jail and gave him his drat job

Possibly an inferiority complex? He bristles when Ichigo suggests that he's Urahara's disciple.

And possibly because of clashing personalities. Aizen, as he was being sealed out by Urahara, called him someone who just settled (for the current state of Soul Society with regards to the Soul King). Considering Mayuri's spiel to the Arrancar he fought about constantly striving for perfection, there's probably a big difference in ideals.

Also Mayuri was pretty okay with not being broken out of jail, so I doubt he really feels any gratitude towards Urahara in that regard.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mraagvpeine posted:

What are the general thoughts about OP 6?

It is good but not as good as OP 5

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I've been rereading random chapters on the SJ app and it's loving cursed how likeable the characters can be because now I'm like, I might as well read the whole thing. But drat, to relive that disappointment. D a m n

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Sydin posted:

It is good but not as good as OP 5

Anime ops were always hit or miss for me but Bleach hitting consecutive home runs with Rolling Star, Alones and After Dark was amazing.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Doc Fission posted:

I've been rereading random chapters on the SJ app and it's loving cursed how likeable the characters can be because now I'm like, I might as well read the whole thing. But drat, to relive that disappointment. D a m n

Yeah the immediate rapport Ichigo and Rukia have from the beginning is so good. They're such a strong duo and I hate knowing that everything just slumps.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Let us as one pour one out for Chad.

And Rukia.

And Ishida.

And Orihime's personality.

And ICHIGO'S personality.

And-

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ishida owns because when he first shows up everything about him screams edgelord brooding rival, but he's actually kind of a goof who likes to sew pretty clothes and dresses.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Monaghan posted:

Ishida owns because when he first shows up everything about him screams edgelord brooding rival, but he's actually kind of a goof who likes to sew pretty clothes and dresses.

You know, until all of that gets thrown out the window post SS and he just becomes an edgelord brooding rival. :sigh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Monaghan posted:

I love him dressing up to rescue Rukia and almost dying because of it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Sydin posted:

Hitsugaya's shikai was honestly cooler than his bankai. Weather control + an ice dragon that is dangerous to even block because of how quickly it can freeze you. Then his bankai was just... ice wings? And had a weird arbitrary timer no other bankai had? His fight with Harribell was so loving boring, they just splashed water at each other for 50 chapters until even Aizen couldn't deal with it any more and just killed his own mook to move things along.

They actually explained what the timer does in the manga toward the end... When the timer runs out he turns into an adult and powers up, its really dumb.

The entire end of the manga is ridiculous. Basically it turns into a oh not this guy can't be beaten by the group thats here, immediately followed by whoever just happens to be the perfect matchup for that opponent showing up... over and over and over again. At one point a bad guy is like, "no one can defeat me because I'm literally a god" and then another shinigami shows up and was like "good thing I have this sword that can only hurt gods, lol." They literally pull this basic thing like 10 times.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sydin posted:

You know, until all of that gets thrown out the window post SS and he just becomes an edgelord brooding rival. :sigh:

It does introduce his hot dad tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sydin posted:

An edgelord brooding rival who can't even pretend to have any relevance in a fight

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean Chad is even worse, he doesn't even get to win a real fight in Soul Society. He beats up a bunch of randos and then immediately gets taken out by kyoraku.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Is that one Privaron Espada who was transparently created for the sole purpose of losing to Chad literally the only named character he ever beats? Or does he get another after Deicide?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Is that one Privaron Espada who was transparently created for the sole purpose of losing to Chad literally the only named character he ever beats? Or does he get another after Deicide?

Didn't Chad train in a hyperbolic time chamber during the fullbring arc? IIRC that makes no proper fights even more lovely.

I'd love to see how the manga would have shaken out if Kubo wasn't rushed to poo poo out the last few chapters. It would have been loving dumb and insane but still, I'd pay to see it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Chad also beat an arrancar soon as they got into Hueco Mundo. I feel like that dude could’ve been Yammy and it would’ve only improved the scene. Yammy would’ve had a purpose and Chad would get a win with meaning.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Chad really peaked early by fighting a monster he couldn't see with a telephone pole he ripped out of the ground

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bleach itself peaked early.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rody One Half posted:

Chad really peaked early by fighting a monster he couldn't see with a telephone pole he ripped out of the ground

This is the single best fight in the series.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rody One Half posted:

gfdi

in recent years having been reading a lot of other mangas (and also age :sigh:) I kinda forgot why I liked Chad but whenever I rewatched the openings or started talking about Bleach I always thought "mmmmmm I KNOW I really liked this guy for a reason but I cannot remember why, he always lost fights..."

now that you have refreshed my memory all I can think is holy loving poo poo how they massacred my boy

e: and kubo then retroactively ruins that moment by revealing he was actually special all along instead of just a hecking strong regular dude that beat a chtulhu demon with the biggest stick he could find :argh:

so in the end the only 100% normal human in Ichigo's group was Orihime? and somehow she ended up with the most broken power in the story which amounted to nothing...man this series probably doesn't have reread/watch-ability value knowing what it all ends up amounting to :shrek:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if it was Kubo or the editors/readers who disliked Chad.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

chumbler posted:

I wonder if it was Kubo or the editors/readers who disliked Chad.

You know what, I'mma start pointing fingers and blame Kenpachi for overshadowing Chad. Both fill the strong brute quota in how they tackle problem solving, but one is a sadistic maniac while the other was quiet and emotional, and Kenpachi somehow clicked better with the audience and took off and Chad was left behind to rot

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

e: and kubo then retroactively ruins that moment by revealing he was actually special all along instead of just a hecking strong regular dude that beat a chtulhu demon with the biggest stick he could find :argh:

He wasn't special all along. It was the hogyoku in rukia that gave him spiritual powers dude just had supernatural strength.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Nah it was his mother being attacked by a hollow prenatal that lets him fullbring his skin.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Chad's Fullbring power quite literally comes from racial pride, which honestly could be kind of cool in a series that was it all interested in him being a character who did things.

lezard_valeth posted:

You know what, I'mma start pointing fingers and blame Kenpachi for overshadowing Chad. Both fill the strong brute quota in how they tackle problem solving, but one is a sadistic maniac while the other was quiet and emotional, and Kenpachi somehow clicked better with the audience and took off and Chad was left behind to rot

Kenpachi ultimately gets ruined too, just stacking more and more horseshit on him until it culminates with the NONSENSICAL reveal of Yachiru being his Zankpaktou spirit, even though we'd literally seen that she was an actual person in her own internal narration.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I searched that episode up to rewatch and it starts with this

HOW COULD THEY gently caress UP THIS CHARACTER???

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chad is so cool.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheHan posted:

Nah it was his mother being attacked by a hollow prenatal that lets him fullbring his skin.

I think he and orihime are mentioned as exceptions to that rule in can't fear your own world (which changes the rules again and says fullbringers have pieces of the soul king in them)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Man, early Bleach was sooo good and I'd rather we have gotten a lot more of that than more Soul Society. Hell, frigging HELL got relegated to a non canon movie and instead the last arc we dick around with more Soul Society stuff.

chumbler posted:

Chad is so cool.

I remember when Bleach ended people posted pictures of themselves cutting/burning their Bleach manga collection because their Rukichigo ship didn't sail.

Same feeling, but with what they did to Chad. Dude doesn't even show up and we are informed he ended up becoming a professional boxer :lol: That's some Game of Thrones level of character arc ending.

Stairmaster posted:

I think he and orihime are mentioned as exceptions to that rule in can't fear your own world (which changes the rules again and says fullbringers have pieces of the soul king in them)

Is it worth the read?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 23, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

I searched that episode up to rewatch and it starts with this

HOW COULD THEY gently caress UP THIS CHARACTER???

To be fair they gently caress up literally every early bleach character up to and including Ichigo himself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

Same feeling, but with what they did to Chad. Dude doesn't even show up and we are informed he ended up becoming a professional boxer :lol: That's some Game of Thrones level of character arc ending.

Like I said before, Chad actually ends up pretty good. Everyone else is living lame lives, while Chad goes on to become a rich world-renowned sports star.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Well

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xczgtw

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Chad's other early moment is him getting hit by a motorcycle, and carrying the cyclist to Isshin's clinic. Chad was such a kind, helpful boy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Please... stop doing this to my boy...

I would have really like Chad to have some kind of weird hollow powerup in Hueco Mundo that let him get back to Ichigo's level. I think a fight between him and Nnoitra could have been pretty cool.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Stairmaster posted:

God, I almost wish that 20th anniversary thing they hinted at would come along and just wipe away everything before it. Just a full story reset for Bleach. Maybe don’t even put anything back in its place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Is it worth the read?

Sort of. There's a lame chunk in the second novel about mayuri's zombie squad fighting with the surviving quincies & the hueco mundo gang but you also get hisagi content so its all balanced in the end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bleach/comments/9yvpl8/bleach_tybw_manga_sequel_novel_cant_fear_your_own/ the translations near the bottom.

There's also no ichigo and friends whatsoever and ice guy gets like zero screentime.