Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unfortunately there seems to be a pretty heavy correlation between a smut story site's quality and userbase size, and its willingness to accept awful pedophilic rape fantasy poo poo. You can certainly use them without interacting with any of that, just be super careful.

If your stories are even vaguely sci-fi/fantasy stuff, Questionable Questing will likely get you a pretty sizable following. Hentaifoundry is surprisingly decent. Archive of Your Own is good too but doesn't have much exposure for original (non-fanfic) content as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Thanks for your suggestions!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
On the other hand, Worth the Candle is on AO3 and it's not fanfic. Not sure how that worked out.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Cicero posted:

On the other hand, Worth the Candle is on AO3 and it's not fanfic. Not sure how that worked out.

Worth the Candle was made by someone who was a part of the 'rational fic' crowd as far as I can tell, which sprung out of the harry potter and the methods of rationality fanfic, and usually involves '''rational''' fanfic versions of existing stories, where they essentially metagame the mechanics of the world for a more optimal ending, so i wouldn't be surprised if he used a fanfic site just because he was making it for a community that mostly does fanfic.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MoL
The epilogue has a bunch of "- break -" lines. Usually the author uses those to indicate that someone is playing mind games. At first I thought that we were supposed to infer that not everything that is happening is real, but there's no "- break -" lines in Zorian's I win chapter, so now I'm just confused. What do you think the purpose of those "- break -" lines is?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Well, first things first - this thread doesn't really discuss serials or look at them in-depth. You're asking them a question they're fundamentally unable to answer beyond, like, 'I like the characters' or 'it's fun' - like, wow, no poo poo. But that won't tell you what actually hooks the average serial reader and makes a serial get big, which is the real question here. Luckily, I compiled a whole bunch of information on this very topic over on the decaying WebFictionGuide forums about a year ago and, despite big ripples going through the serial community, it still holds true enough.

It comes down to a number of factors. First, the big three:

1. Toybox worldbuilding - think Worm's systems of power classification. The worldbuilding must be definitively spelled out and it must be a simple matter for the average reader to tinker with it. That way, the reader can 'play with' a serial between updates. One could consider this how 'toyetic' or 'fanficable' a serial is.

2. Gradual progression - consider how, in Worm, Taylor is always pulling out new abilities out of her hat. Consider how LitRPGs make this explicit with experience and levels. It's the MMO loot cycle treadmill, not anything like the typical heroes' journey. The story should always feel like it is moving upwards and onwards.

3. Broken wish fulfillment - sort of two things simultaneously and, again, we'll look at Worm. Your protagonist should simultaneously be an underdog who everyone underestimates, but also be outrageously powerful whenever the situation requires it. Your protagonist isn't there to explore pathos or themes - those are for eight-grade book reports. Your protagonist is there to kick butt and take names and be cool - just like you would be, dear reader, if you were in the story.

Just about all of the big serials - Worm, PGTE, MoL, etc. - do this. LitRPGs/GameLit do this, too, and make it far more explicit.

Then there are certain other components:

1. Keep your writing as simple as possible - this comes from a number of different things, like, how that a lot of web serial readers aren't from English-speaking countries and come to them via unofficial translations. The web serial audience is also surprisingly young - younger than it was even a few years ago. Most serial readers are reading their serials on a morning commute or in class or at some kind of office job - they don't have the attention to spare for anything that requires them to pay close attention. The ideal authors to imitate are Meyer and Sanderson. If in doubt, tell don't show.

2. Consistency is key, but... - Set an update schedule and stick to it religiously. If you miss even one update after a year of never missing one, your readership numbers will crater.

3. ...update as much as physically possible - simply put, if you can update once a day, every day of the week, you're golden. This helps especially on RoyalRoad. While the conventional wisdom used to be 'have a schedule, stick to it' in the serial community, it's been turning towards '1000-2000 words a day, every weekday.'

4. Game the algorithms - RoyalRoad's trending system is absurdly easy to game and they seem to have no desire to patch it even though it seems most people know about it. If you're launching on RoyalRoad without knowing this, then you're fighting blind.

5. Write to a pre-existing community, or highjack one - self-explanatory aka 'know the audience.'

6. Luck/Context/Circumstance - obviously. Along these lines, the 'independent' web serial community is a lot less healthy than it was back when Worm started, which is what everyone thinks it still is. It was smaller, sure, but it was a lot more active. WFG is on its way out and, when it goes, TWF will go with it.

I have read the most web serials of anyone in this thread, and Not All Heroes peaked at #2 on TopWebFiction.

This all rings true to me. Thank you for the advice.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think they're just indicating pov / time changes?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's possible I've read too much Practical Guide, as I'm up to page 62 in Rage of Dragons, and all I can think is this Jabari guy is throwing death flags around like crazy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
On the off chance anyone was waiting until The Last Angel: Ascension finished before reading it, it's done. Final chapter & epilogue.

There are a few things going on I wasn't expecting: they're not covering it up and may be going for peace with their enemies? the naiads are getting really restless! the loving triquetran league what the gently caress?!

The sequel is going to be a glorious mess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The PracGuide chapter with the conversation between Catherine and White Knight was really interesting. I really like how both of them had some pretty good points, and I actually kinda sided with White Knight on the topic of that Stalwart Apostle girl. Catherine was making the argument "it would be a crime to advise people to pray in situations like that girl's," but no one was saying that. The topic at hand was that specific girl praying, and given who she was and the fact that she fit into that "groove" for a story, her actions were correct. Catherine is generally correct about Above not being any better than Below, though it's also hard to blame White Knight for coming to the conclusion that Below nearly always leads people to madness and ruin.

They have a neat dynamic because they're both biased in different ways. Catherine has a clear grudge against Above/heroes that is largely shaped by her personal experiences being on the receiving end of their worst aspects, but Hanno also obviously has some blinders on about the nature of Above. It was neat to see Hanno actually having a "revelation" of his own during the conversation about his own tendency to ease his mind by outsourcing responsibility for heavy decisions to others (in this case either Catherine or the choir of Judgement).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

did i miss a Katalepsis update or something? didn't see anything this past saturday

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

90s Cringe Rock posted:

On the off chance anyone was waiting until The Last Angel: Ascension finished before reading it, it's done. Final chapter & epilogue.

There are a few things going on I wasn't expecting: they're not covering it up and may be going for peace with their enemies? the naiads are getting really restless! the loving triquetran league what the gently caress?!

The sequel is going to be a glorious mess.

Since Proximal has repeatedly stated that the compact were very thorough in exterminating humanity I’m kinda thinking those aren’t humans contacting Lydia and Jackson... it could be that he’s just been bullshitting us. That some would’ve gotten away isn’t unthinkable.

Also the compact is being smart making peace with the principality. They pushed them so hard they sorta allied with the wound.

I’d also be very surprised and disappointed if Naiads were the threat. They’re a almost natural occurring disaster. And their migration is hundreds of years away. it has to be the skyscrapers or the swarm.

I wonder if this is part of Reds plan or which parts are part of the plan.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Prox is always bullshitting in one way or another. I'm sure the naiads aren't the big deal, but they'll definitely be a big deal, and there will be much shipping.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

did i miss a Katalepsis update or something? didn't see anything this past saturday

No, looks like a skip week. Last chapter's dated sunday before last, next chapter's dated this saturday.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

NinjaDebugger posted:

No, looks like a skip week. Last chapter's dated sunday before last, next chapter's dated this saturday.

This is correct, there was no chapter on the 15th of February. I left a note about the skipped week on the front page and via patreon before I did it, but I didn't realise that wouldn't be enough. My apologies for both the delayed chapter and any confusion!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hungry posted:

This is correct, there was no chapter on the 15th of February. I left a note about the skipped week on the front page and via patreon before I did it, but I didn't realise that wouldn't be enough. My apologies for both the delayed chapter and any confusion!

oh ok! I never check the front page of web serials, I just have 13 chrome tabs open on my phone and check them when I expect an update.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
rss, people.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Maintaining a web serial can be horrifyingly stressful and time-consuming, never apologize for taking time off! :) (It's honestly kinda nuts how easy burnout can be as a serial dude- having to deliver creativity on a schedule for months or years can be awful.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

for some reason, I thought some hosts didn't work with rss.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

and yeah you don't need to apologise for taking time off! I just expected to see it at the top of the comment section because that's where a couple other authors put it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I have the RSS, but it's easier to read on my phone from a browser. I just had to get my fix of ridiculous disaster lesbian witches in another way this weekend is all.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Omi no Kami posted:

Maintaining a web serial can be horrifyingly stressful and time-consuming, never apologize for taking time off! :) (It's honestly kinda nuts how easy burnout can be as a serial dude- having to deliver creativity on a schedule for months or years can be awful.)

I really needed to see this, thank you. I've been beating myself up a little for missing Mire updates when my tablet was lost/stolen by an airline while traveling. Your post has gently reminded me that it's okay to take breaks even in situations where your posting device hasn't been yoinked off a plane.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I really needed to see this, thank you. I've been beating myself up a little for missing Mire updates when my tablet was lost/stolen by an airline while traveling. Your post has gently reminded me that it's okay to take breaks even in situations where your posting device hasn't been yoinked off a plane.

You're totally welcome! First of all, screw that guy (maybe we got lucky and in his haste to escape the law he wandered into a hilariously deadly enchanted swamp), but yeah- serial schedules are brutal. Anything you do on the regular will wear you down from time to time, but I think serials kinda co-occupy this weird space with the manga industry where you're often put in the position of producing content on the regular, week-in and week-out, rain, shine, or zombie apocalypse. Add onto that the community management tasks, the fact that even the most well-intended fanbase can be needy or toxic, and the fact that maintaining the quality of a serial is hard, especially when it's a really tightly-plotted one, and you've got honestly a pretty brutal situation. I know planning out time off is tough when regularity of updates is one of the big things you want to hit to grow your readership, but speaking as one random jerk on the internet, I'd much rather have sporadic chapters posted by happy and healthy authors than a regular drip-feed of content and a zombified writer person who comes to dislike the whole gig.

TL;DR: take care of yourself, screw anyone who says otherwise, and thanks for being a rad creator person who wrote the cool thing! (You too, Hungry! ItM and Disaster Lesbians are basically the only two serials I tune in for now that MoL wrapped up, and it makes me sad when awesome writers burn out to please their fans. :) )

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Omi no Kami posted:

I think serials kinda co-occupy this weird space with the manga industry where you're often put in the position of producing content on the regular, week-in and week-out, rain, shine, or zombie apocalypse.

I work in the manga industry as my day job lmao :ohno:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I work in the manga industry as my day job lmao :ohno:

I'm so sorry. XP (Seriously- it's amazing that manga gets made at all, because holy poo poo what a brutal career. You know it's trouble when even the 1% of the 1% who actually make a consistent, decent living at it still turn into sleep-deprived zombies to get their weekly 24 pages of pirate hijinks out the door.)

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, after laboring to output those 24 pages of pirate-y goodness? Your title dropped one place in the weekly survey and now your editor is panicking and suggesting that someone replace the pirates with ducks or something. (This is an entirely different industry, but apparently at one point a pulpy DC imprint sold abnormally well, and the only thing the editors could think of is that it featured an ape on the cover. For like eight years after that, every single editorial meeting involving at least one editor suggesting they add more apes to the cover.)

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 21, 2020

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Lone Goat posted:

and yeah you don't need to apologise for taking time off! I just expected to see it at the top of the comment section because that's where a couple other authors put it.

Omi no Kami posted:

TL;DR: take care of yourself, screw anyone who says otherwise, and thanks for being a rad creator person who wrote the cool thing! (You too, Hungry! ItM and Disaster Lesbians are basically the only two serials I tune in for now that MoL wrapped up, and it makes me sad when awesome writers burn out to please their fans. :) )

Thank you very much for the kind words and understanding. Creativity on a schedule actually seems to work really well for me, I just wish other things didn't get in the way of said schedule. Skipping a chapter certainly wasn't planned in advance, more of a last resort style thing, which is why I feel pretty bad about doing it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Thank you very much for the kind words and understanding. Creativity on a schedule actually seems to work really well for me, I just wish other things didn't get in the way of said schedule. Skipping a chapter certainly wasn't planned in advance, more of a last resort style thing, which is why I feel pretty bad about doing it.

No problem- I'm glad it works, but I highly encourage embracing your inner lazy person and feeling awesome about taking breaks- so many serial authors seem to eventually burn out that my default advice is quickly becoming "Work less, party more, occasionally post a chapter of the fun thing and know that it makes people's day." :)

Edit: Whoo, thank you for a fun chapter Hungry! I hope you're doing awesome. :)

Katalepsis: cop friend is great, I like how even the buttoned-down professional detective lady is also a stoner and kind of a fuckup. For some reason I can't help but be really paranoid about Lozzie's welfare, though- she's such a ceaseless font of positivity that I can't help but worry that, like, her promise not to leave came with the added provision of 'Oh btw staying around is terrible for my health, but you obviously need me and we're too busy putting out metaphorical fires for me to find time to mention the problem'.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 22, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Omi no Kami posted:

Katalepsis: cop friend is great, I like how even the buttoned-down professional detective lady is also a stoner and kind of a fuckup. For some reason I can't help but be really paranoid about Lozzie's welfare, though- she's such a ceaseless font of positivity that I can't help but worry that, like, her promise not to leave came with the added provision of 'Oh btw staying around is terrible for my health, but you obviously need me and we're too busy putting out metaphorical fires for me to find time to mention the problem'.

Katalepsis: “They don’t work up here, they fall apart. Like a deep-sea fish brought up to the surface, they’ll just – ploop,” she made a popping noise with her mouth and spread her hand out. “Sort of like me, you know?”

Sounds like she's 100% totally fine to me!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, that's the line that really freaked me out. XP Man, what a neat story about terrible people. :)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm so sorry. XP (Seriously- it's amazing that manga gets made at all, because holy poo poo what a brutal career. You know it's trouble when even the 1% of the 1% who actually make a consistent, decent living at it still turn into sleep-deprived zombies to get their weekly 24 pages of pirate hijinks out the door.)

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, after laboring to output those 24 pages of pirate-y goodness? Your title dropped one place in the weekly survey and now your editor is panicking and suggesting that someone replace the pirates with ducks or something. (This is an entirely different industry, but apparently at one point a pulpy DC imprint sold abnormally well, and the only thing the editors could think of is that it featured an ape on the cover. For like eight years after that, every single editorial meeting involving at least one editor suggesting they add more apes to the cover.)

i always wondered where DC's improbable fascination with gorillas came from

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Jazerus posted:

i always wondered where DC's improbable fascination with gorillas came from

I can kinda see where they were coming from, this practically sells itself:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon 7.09 JESUS loving CHRIST

that city was goddamn horrifying.

the outworlders got I have no mouth and I must scream'd :stonk:

also the great old one totally isn't dead and lives on through the inhabitants

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 23, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI Patreon 7.09 JESUS loving CHRIST

that city was goddamn horrifying.

the outworlders got I have no mouth and I miss scream'd :stonk:

also the great old one totally isn't dead and lives on through the inhabitants

Came here to post this, holy poo poo, gently caress that whole place.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Thus far I have read/mostly caught up on Worm, Pact, Twig, Mother of Learning, Ward, Forge/Threads of Destiny, Practical Guide to Evil, Wandering Inn, Not All Heroes, Worth the Candle, Into the Mire, The Gods are Bastards, and Katalepsis. So a lot of the OP. Still going through that though. How's Ra? The stuff about the ending being changed struck me as odd. Also, anything popular ATM that's not in the OP?

Also, web serial tier list:
Top tier: Twig, PracGuide
High Tier: Wandering Inn, Into the Mire, Gods are Bastards, Katalepsis
Good: Ward, Worth the Candle
Okay: Worm, Pact, Mother of Learning, Forge/Threads, Not All Heroes

I think that's about how I feel about all of them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Myriad Truths posted:

Thus far I have read/mostly caught up on Worm, Pact, Twig, Mother of Learning, Ward, Forge/Threads of Destiny, Practical Guide to Evil, Wandering Inn, Not All Heroes, Worth the Candle, Into the Mire, The Gods are Bastards, and Katalepsis. So a lot of the OP. Still going through that though. How's Ra? The stuff about the ending being changed struck me as odd. Also, anything popular ATM that's not in the OP?

Also, web serial tier list:
Top tier: Twig, PracGuide
High Tier: Wandering Inn, Into the Mire, Gods are Bastards, Katalepsis
Good: Ward, Worth the Candle
Okay: Worm, Pact, Mother of Learning, Forge/Threads, Not All Heroes

I think that's about how I feel about all of them.

He Who Fights With Monsters https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
there's also Epilogue which was pretty okay, though its been finished for a while.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21374/epilogue

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I recently found a story that I quite like: To Play With Magic

Part of why I like it is because everyone seems to have their own deal going on and the main character basically is dealing with a tragedy in her past and growing somewhat as a person. Also lots of playing around with magic. It's one of those LitRPG deals, but the aim seems to be to try to subvert the system.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also i marathoned katalepsis this weekend and holy poo poo that story owns bones

i am fully in on team disaster lesbians!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So, just wondering, but why are 99% of these stories about real life leveling or superheroes?
You'd think a horror or mystery or SciFi or even just a different type of fantasy story would also work as a web serial.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think the real life leveling is an extension of the isekai trend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

So, just wondering, but why are 99% of these stories about real life leveling or superheroes?
You'd think a horror or mystery or SciFi or even just a different type of fantasy story would also work as a web serial.

Because it gets the nerdy people who read these things interested enough to try reading them and then effectively prompts people to keep up with a serial format through a sense of progression.

Milkfred E. Moore's post summed things up pretty well (even if I think that post did a poor job of hiding their strong dislike of the popular web serials).

I think that this sort of thing can be fun in theory, but in practice they're almost always poorly disguised power fantasies of some form. Forge of Destiny is the only strictly "gamified" web serial setting I'm aware of that managed to keep things "balanced."