Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PredictIt still has Trump at 59% to be re-elected :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josh Lyman posted:

With Bernie at the top of the ticket, this is the first time we're going to see an actual anti-Trump message. In 2016 it was just Hillary Clinton saying you were a good person if you voted for her and a bad person if you voted for Trump. Since then it's just been Congressional Democrats demanding the release of memos and the airing of testimony and other boring rear end procedural crap. But Bernie will make an actual moral argument against Trump while also presenting an alternative that positively benefits people's material lives.

I think it's going to be surprisingly effective.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Josh Lyman posted:

If the cspam Predictit thread is any indication, a large proportion of the Trump Yes bets are people trying to short sell before the election

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

With Bernie at the top of the ticket, this is the first time we're going to see an actual anti-Trump message. In 2016 it was just Hillary Clinton saying you were a good person if you voted for her and a bad person if you voted for Trump. Since then it's just been Congressional Democrats demanding the release of memos and the airing of testimony and other boring rear end procedural crap. But Bernie will make an actual moral argument against Trump while also presenting an alternative that positively benefits people's material lives.

I just finished watching the second season of Narcos: Mexico and it coldly reminded me what a joke most elections end up being.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well, Portrait of a Lady on Fire is another really strong entry into the Gay Island genre. Liked it more than The Lighthouse.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for spoiling Lighthouse for me (rips up ticket)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

Things are looking pretty good, but I've shed the audacity of hope. America loves rapists as much as it hates black people.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I just finished Honey Boy and really enjoyed it. Shia had a rough childhood. He also acts his rear end off in this and reminds me why I like him so much.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Spent the past 24 years thinking Renny Harlin directed Daylight.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Disposable Scud posted:

Spent the past 24 years thinking Renny Harlin directed Daylight.

Trying to envision a scenario where you would ever be corrected about this mistake and I just can't.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What are some good Youtube channels that analyze movies? Basically the type of discussion we have in CD. I've mostly enjoyed Renegade Cut in large part because he has a ton of uploads, but his critiques are from the perspective of philosophy and ethics which isn't the appropriate lens for every movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don’t even follow channels I just search for “(movie title) analysis” and there’s usually a dozen of them and at least half of them are decent

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Every Frame a Painting is probably my favorite ever channel for analysis but I don’t think he uploads anymore.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There's your first mistake.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

ChickenMedium posted:

Trying to envision a scenario where you would ever be corrected about this mistake and I just can't.

I saw an analysis video about it (what the gently caress?) on my youtube sidebar and saw "Directed by Rob Cohen". I thought Dragon/Jungle Book were the only films he made before F&F.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Disposable Scud posted:

I saw an analysis video about it (what the gently caress?) on my youtube sidebar and saw "Directed by Rob Cohen". I thought Dragon/Jungle Book were the only films he made before F&F.

Cohen didn't direct Jungle Book, or am I getting whooshed?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

What are some good Youtube channels that analyze movies? Basically the type of discussion we have in CD. I've mostly enjoyed Renegade Cut in large part because he has a ton of uploads, but his critiques are from the perspective of philosophy and ethics which isn't the appropriate lens for every movie.
I'm into Thomas Flight, Like Stories of Old, Storytellers, Now You See It, Rossatron, and Just Write. (your mileage may vary!)

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Timby posted:

Cohen didn't direct Jungle Book, or am I getting whooshed?

You are correct! It was Stephen Sommers. Cohen directed Dragonheart which came out the same year as Daylight.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Big Joel is probably the most CineD movie YouTuber

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I Before E posted:

Big Joel is probably the most CineD movie YouTuber

I would say Dom Griffin or, obviously, Kenneth Waste.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would say Dom Griffin or, obviously, Kenneth Waste.

Those seemed a bit too obvious but I definitely agree

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
It's getting there, but I'm excited to see how fully masks off 'n knives out the panicked punditry around Sanders' popularity is going to get

Also I'll throw on a K Waste video I've already watched several times just because they're genuinely just beautifully put together. I can't think of any other YouTube essayist I can say that about

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 24, 2020

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad he's back. He stopped updating back in October or so and I was worried he was done.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

I'm glad he's back. He stopped updating back in October or so and I was worried he was done.

yeah, he still put some stuff on letterboxd but mostly one sentence reviews if that

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Peccadillo posted:

It's getting there, but I'm excited to see how fully masks off 'n knives out the panicked punditry around Sanders' popularity is going to get

Given the MSNBC meltdown to his Nevada win it's hard to imagine how much worse it can get without them descending into full, syphilitic insanity. Ranting, raving mad. Foam at the mouth, spittle flying. Their coverage this weekend has been unhinged and knowing that it's somehow going to get worse is nuts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Given the MSNBC meltdown to his Nevada win it's hard to imagine how much worse it can get without them descending into full, syphilitic insanity. Ranting, raving mad. Foam at the mouth, spittle flying. Their coverage this weekend has been unhinged and knowing that it's somehow going to get worse is nuts.

Chris Matthews is gonna be the one to watch on Super Tuesday. He's melting down the hardest and it's very satisfying to watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/finmilligan/status/1231884750215929857?s=20

Stolen from TVIV because we get Fire Walk With Me and The Return is just an 18 hour long movie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

He pitched them a story so it was very much a Chris Rock idea. Mind you it's not like Rock's movie work is particularly stellar, either as an actor or a filmmaker (Though I like him in NURSE BETTY) so I wouldn't get too excited by it. However, a guy like that straying into horror, particularly if he can bring his gift for social commentary from his standup to a franchise like that, could be really interesting.

Well, it's also _Saw_, so even if the Patron Saint of Film Production got involved, it's pretty limited in how "good" it can be.

I came across this trailer a moment ago, just trying to see if some actress was still working in 2020, apparently she has some role in this movie I thought was going to be a comedy from the synopsis. To be specific, I was expecting a Pauly Shore comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2JPF4RtHoY

I just want to see someone who is more smartlier than me at movies to tell me exactly why this looks so horrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Khanstant posted:

Well, it's also _Saw_, so even if the Patron Saint of Film Production got involved, it's pretty limited in how "good" it can be.

I came across this trailer a moment ago, just trying to see if some actress was still working in 2020, apparently she has some role in this movie I thought was going to be a comedy from the synopsis. To be specific, I was expecting a Pauly Shore comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2JPF4RtHoY

I just want to see someone who is more smartlier than me at movies to tell me exactly why this looks so horrible.

lovely lighting, lovely digital camera, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't shot at 24 fps.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts on my double feature of The Deer Hunter & Ravenous from this weekend:

The slow slow pacing on The Deer Hunter makes Ravenous feel like a film made on a sugar rush. Not a bad thing, but such a strange context for watching both. That said!

-Both deal with PTSD from the horrors of war and narrowly avoiding death.

-Both explore brutish masculinity with homoeroticism. Both display homoerotic subtext with romance rather than sexual frustration.

-Both deal with the stark realization on the value of life once faced with death. Michael is no longer able to take the life of even a deer, Capt. Boyd can't even look at a steak.

-Both deal with person(s) returning to an isolated community changed from their experiences and no longer able to connect with their peers.

-Both films culminate in a suicide that can be considered self-sacrifice. (Nick seemingly takes his own life to finally end his cycle of facing death, but in many ways, it allows Michael to return to the town without being a burden. Capt. Boyd takes his own life to end the cycle of cannibalism that will be perpetuated with his survival.)

I know The Deer Hunter is pretty polarizing. Despite it's inaccuracies with the Vietnam war and the over-exaggeration of Russian Roulette, I thought it was an excellent portrayal of what war does to a person, and the guilt of betraying a friend. All the performances are amazing. And the cinematography was beautiful.

It was a fun, strange experience.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I mention this every time Ravenous comes up, but just a reminder that it ends with the main characters fighting with a giant knife and a giant fork.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

You should check out Bullet in the Head, it's John Woo doing The Deer Hunger but better. (even though it was not for me, I don't necessarily mean this as a knock on The Deer Hunter)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think I mention this every time Ravenous comes up, but just a reminder that it ends with the main characters fighting with a giant knife and a giant fork.

Ooh! And they both land in a set of jaws (bear trap)

FancyMike posted:

You should check out Bullet in the Head, it's John Woo doing The Deer Hunger but better. (even though it was not for me, I don't necessarily mean this as a knock on The Deer Hunter)

Awesome, I'll check it out. Would it go well with his other film Heroes Shed No Tears? That's another Woo flick I've been meaning to watch.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's rich with symbolism, and also licking me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every once in awhile I get extremely furious that there probably won't ever be a reissue of the Ravenous score due to various issues. :argh:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Every once in awhile I get extremely furious that there probably won't ever be a reissue of the Ravenous score due to various issues. :argh:

I wanted to ask you, since you have such an encyclopedic knowledge of music and it's one of your faves: what are some good albums/songs/soundtracks like Ravenous?

I'm also surprised it doesn't have even a limited release vinyl yet. Seems pretty obvious given the composers and the cult status of the flick.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's rich with symbolism, and also licking me.

This was a weird moment, because I thought it was pretty clearly Boyd licking him, and I was expecting a bit more of a pay-off for this rather than it being a hint of Boyd's being a wendigo/cannibal

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Franchescanado posted:

This was a weird moment, because I thought it was pretty clearly Boyd licking him, and I was expecting a bit more of a pay-off for this rather than it being a hint of Boyd's being a wendigo/cannibal

Unless I'm remembering wrong, there is blood on Ives'/Colqhoun's lips when they turn up the light in the tent. I never got the impression it was Boyd doing it. He was just freaked out more than the others because he knew what was up from a more intimate perspective.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Franchescanado posted:

I wanted to ask you, since you have such an encyclopedic knowledge of music and it's one of your faves: what are some good albums/songs/soundtracks like Ravenous?
Ravenous is legit in its own universe, which is why I cherish it so much.

Though only tangentially related because the Ravenous soundtrack utilized Foster's Social Orchestra which is made up of non-musicians, Monitor was a zine collective that expanded into a band which put out A single album that's a primitive, eerie electronically-driven album where they're clearly figuring out what they're doing as they go. In fact, it's the first recording The Meat Puppets appear on because the band wasn't good enough at playing their own instruments to record the song. Doesn't sound like the Ravenous score, but it's an album I always bring up 'cause I dig it.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm also surprised it doesn't have even a limited release vinyl yet. Seems pretty obvious given the composers and the cult status of the flick.
The only thing I've dug up on the subject (so who knows the validity of the claim) is that Fox forced Nyman and Albarn to suss out how they were going to be credited themselves which caused bad blood between the two, thus the chances of a reissue are pretty minimal. In fact the billing is switched when you compare the credits in the film and on the CD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

:siren:MONSTER! YOU CALLED A RECORD A "VINYL"!:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Unless I'm remembering wrong, there is blood on Ives'/Colqhoun's lips when they turn up the light in the tent. I never got the impression it was Boyd doing it. He was just freaked out more than the others because he knew what was up from a more intimate perspective.

I could be wrong, and it will take me a few minutes to get a screen grab for us to compare, but my thoughts as of now are

Toffler gets the stomach wound. Ives/Colqhoun, having been developing his wendigo hunger for at least a year (according to him) is able to contain his hunger, whereas Boyd cannot. In the night, Boyd can't handle it, and starts licking Toffler, since he's sleeping right next to him. Toffler wakes everyone up, and Boyd has his mouth/lower face obscured. Ives/Colqhoun realizes someone else must have the hunger and (rightly) assumes it's Boyd, based on the guilty looks. Ives/Colqhoun decides to cover for Boyd (or whoever), hedging his bets on sympathy for being a victim rather than a perpetrator of cannibalism. That's how he is able to confront Boyd about his hunger during the ambush. He may already have plans, at this point, for turning the fort into a haven for his cannibal system, which would give him an even bigger reason for keeping Boyd's secret for now.

edit: You are right, a little blood is on the corner of Colqhoun's lip

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 24, 2020