Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

lovely lighting, lovely digital camera, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't shot at 24 fps.

Also lovely cinematography, flat color work, and I’m gonna assume the sound is poo poo even though I didn’t listen to it.

Also :lol: at those punches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also lovely cinematography, flat color work, and I’m gonna assume the sound is poo poo even though I didn’t listen to it.

Oh yeah, probably the bare minimum of color correction too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
In an amusing coincidence, this just came up in my facebook feed:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's just kind of amateur overall. It's not necessarily that the framing is wrong because it violates x rule, it's just meaningless and incoherent. It doesn't speak or understand the language. It's arbitrary.

It's like when you see a house designed by the owner or the builder but not by an architect; it's a vague approximation of what a house should look like but there's no reason for a column to be there and the roof lines don't make sense. It was designed so the rooms could individually look like that with no consideration of the exterior or how they come together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

In an amusing coincidence, this just came up in my facebook feed:

I kinda love it?

"Say 'It's Mike!'"
"It's Mike."
"Say "It's Mike!"
"It's Mike. Okay? It's Mike."
"DON'T YOU loving RECOGNIZE ME, NICKY? SAY IT'S MIKE."
"It's Mike."

edit: They don't have one for John Cazale's character? That would rule.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ravenous is in my top ten.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Ooh! And they both land in a set of jaws (bear trap)

Awesome, I'll check it out. Would it go well with his other film Heroes Shed No Tears? That's another Woo flick I've been meaning to watch.

Don't know, that's one of the few I have yet to watch. It (Bullet in the Head) is sort of a prequel to A Better Tomorrow. Both essential movies, but not really necessary to watch in a specific order.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 24, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FancyMike posted:

Don't know, that's one of the few I have yet to watch. It is sort of a prequel to A Better Tomorrow. Both essential movies, but not really necessary to watch in a specific order.

I'm not sure how essential it is when John Woo hasn't even seen it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

FancyMike posted:

Don't know, that's one of the few I have yet to watch. It (Bullet in the Head) is sort of a prequel to A Better Tomorrow. Both essential movies, but not really necessary to watch in a specific order.

It was going to be a prequel to A Better Tomorrow, but Woo and Tsui Hark were no longer getting a long at that point in their film partnership, so Tsui Hark took control and made the real prequel, A Better Tomorrow III, while Woo went solo but kept the same idea of Hong Kongers going to Vietnam.

I like ABT3 slightly better, but it's curious to compare them as their both reactions to Tienanmen. Tsui was always the more political filmmaker of the two, so in his film his characters travel to Vietnam and end up being dragged by it's political landscape, while in Woo's films his heroes leave Hong Kong to Vietnam escape HK politics.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

It was going to be a prequel to A Better Tomorrow, but Woo and Tsui Hark were no longer getting a long at that point in their film partnership, so Tsui Hark took control and made the real prequel, A Better Tomorrow III, while Woo went solo but kept the same idea of Hong Kongers going to Vietnam.

I like ABT3 slightly better, but it's curious to compare them as their both reactions to Tienanmen. Tsui was always the more political filmmaker of the two, so in his film his characters travel to Vietnam and end up being dragged by it's political landscape, while in Woo's films his heroes leave Hong Kong to Vietnam escape HK politics.

I'd have to rewatch them both to say for sure which I like more, but I agree A Better Tomorrow 3 is really good, and it seems to be underrated. I can say that for as much as I love Simon Yam, especially in Bullet in the Head, I prefer what Anita Mui does with the similar part in Tsui's movie. Though, Woo got the better Tony Leung so it's hard to say which cast is better

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 25, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I watched a couple movies at the theater today and this dumb Honda commercial that played before one of them made me cry harder than anything I've seen in an actual movie in a long while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsM6XoqWRFs

It's so stupid and cheesy but just hits me hard for whatever reason

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Here's Larry Fishburne violently cranking his hog to a live sex show:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

:stonk:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since bad or mediocre cinematography is the topic of discussion right now, anyone know why The Gentlemen looks so much worse than Guy Ritchie's earliest films, despite a much higher budget? Was it a bad transition from shooting on film to shooting on digital leading to a "too clean" look, an inexperienced DP, or did Ritchie just get soft in his decade of making big budget Hollywood blockbusters instead of low budget, gritty britcrime dramas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1cTyEAi06Y

It's kinda funny when the in-universe youtube video supposedly shot by a bunch of amatuers looks better than the movie itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJfZQ-gFmk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

K. Waste posted:

The Matrix 4 is looking kind of weird.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The United States posted:

Since bad or mediocre cinematography is the topic of discussion right now, anyone know why The Gentlemen looks so much worse than Guy Ritchie's earliest films, despite a much higher budget? Was it a bad transition from shooting on film to shooting on digital leading to a "too clean" look, an inexperienced DP, or did Ritchie just get soft in his decade of making big budget Hollywood blockbusters instead of low budget, gritty britcrime dramas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1cTyEAi06Y

The problem is that Ritchie's low budget crime films were never actually that well shot to begin with, just like they were never actually that stylish. It's marginally above average, but the vast majority of his photography consists of two-shots of people talking. This is because, despite also having a reputation as an action director, the actual narratives of Ritchie's films are largely built around people talking, saying where they're gonna go, what they need to do, what might happen, who everyone is, how they got their nickname. Occasionally he'd throw in an insert, or a tracking shot, a nice low angle helps here and there, but almost always these are, again, to accentuate people talking.

You know how the reputation he got as a filmmaker was "style over substance"? Well, the video you posted tells you exactly why that's wrong: It's not "style" that defines Ritchie's process. (He's not Wong Kar-Wai, lol.) It's spontaneity. He doesn't do stories - he does "yarns." Any style is almost incidental to this process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0p6CtioZk

There's virtually no "style" in this scene, it's just Alan Ford explaining how to feed corpses to pigs efficiently. Notice how there's a slow, "ominous" zoom on Ford's character here - but ask yourself, "Who's perspective is this?" Vinny and Sol spend the entire scene just mugging like they're bewildered, but then there's virtually no attention paid to their actual emotions until the next scene when they're already in body bags about to get chopped up. loving Lincoln gets more actual investment in his performance, but it becomes peripheral, like everything else, to Ford's monologue. That's not "style," that's just fawning over an actor you like.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

T... thanks?

Alternatively, I can't believe I have to say this, but...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m trying to remember something, I’m pretty sure it was either in a movie or comic book. Someone gets shot in a way that seems fatal, the next scene is showing the bullet being manufactured, and a fly(?) gets stuck in a bullet, rendering it less functional, and that’s how they survive. Anyone remember this?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m trying to remember something, I’m pretty sure it was either in a movie or comic book. Someone gets shot in a way that seems fatal, the next scene is showing the bullet being manufactured, and a fly(?) gets stuck in a bullet, rendering it less functional, and that’s how they survive. Anyone remember this?

I’m curious too, I love occasional weirdass detours like that

Like the CEO’s tailor in Hudsucker Proxy deciding to use double stitching in his trousers, saving him from falling to his death

Or in the Usagi Yojimbo comic when he got his sword stolen and somebody asked why it was such a big deal and then they detoured with a long story about why swords are important to samurai.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Today people were cheering when Harvey Weinstein was found guilty.

Today there were also thousands of people in a basketball stadium cheering during a nearly four hour long televised memorial service for Kobe Bryant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Today people were cheering when Harvey Weinstein was found guilty.

Today there were also thousands of people in a basketball stadium cheering during a nearly four hour long televised memorial service for Kobe Bryant.

I'm not going to defend Kobe Bryant, but Harvey Weinstein is, at the very least, a much, much worse human being.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'm not going to defend Kobe Bryant, but Harvey Weinstein is, at the very least, a much, much worse human being.

Oh absolutely. If we're going that road it's not even a contest, but they're both rapists.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I couldn't think of anything else to watch so I've got Paranormal Activity on my second monitor, and while I guess most of it holds up in a "well, I know what's going to happen, so just get on with it" mode, holy gently caress is it effective when Katie says "I think we'll be okay now" in a clearly-possessed voice, and then grins.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I couldn't think of anything else to watch so I've got Paranormal Activity on my second monitor, and while I guess most of it holds up in a "well, I know what's going to happen, so just get on with it" mode, holy gently caress is it effective when Katie says "I think we'll be okay now" in a clearly-possessed voice, and then grins.

I'm assuming you had Box Office Mojo up on your first monitor to decide whether or not you were allowed to actually like the film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wasn’t the first PA movie made really cheap? I imagine the profit ratio was insane on that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Wasn’t the first PA movie made really cheap? I imagine the profit ratio was insane on that one.

15K budget, 200 million box office. Bonkers loving money. But I can't remember how Bibs empiric quality of movie formula accounts for production budget.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Off to a strong start!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Steve Yun posted:

Off to a strong start!

What is that, a title card for ants?!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MIDWORM MAR was one of my recent favorites.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mid:wom:ar

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Blade Runner 2049 still holds the title for most frustratingly small on-screen text.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Sounds like John Dies at the End. Haven't seen the movie but read the book.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Off to a strong start!

Prepare to be extremely underwhelmed.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Jesus Rolls supposed sucks out loud, which isn't surprising

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Prepare to be extremely underwhelmed.
Yeah, that dick was a B- at best.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Yeah, that dick was a B- at best.

Agree to disagree.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Good point keep talkin posted:

Sounds like John Dies at the End. Haven't seen the movie but read the book.

I think that’s it! I really enjoyed the time/narrative fuckery in that book, like how there’s another protagonist you find out about at the end who never gets mentioned because the monsters erase him from existence

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I'm assuming you had Box Office Mojo up on your first monitor to decide whether or not you were allowed to actually like the film.

As ruddiger pointed out, the movie made bonkers money, since it was made dirt cheap (two nobodies, one house, etc) and nobody expected it to blow up like it did.

And don't be gauche, seeing how well it did is second-monitor stuff, after the movie is over. :colbert:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bows1 posted:

Jesus Rolls supposed sucks out loud, which isn't surprising

Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene