Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I played a pretty chill little free game called Burning Daylight, but it was tagged with Nudity and Sexual Content so now my feed is nothing but hentai games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You’re welcome

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I was told to post the game I just released on Steam here. So uh, here it is, it's a mecha twin-stick shooter.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, what's good in the ARPG genre today? Path of Exile, Titan Quest+Grim Dawn, Van Helsing Final Cut, Soldak's weirdo games, maybe Book of Demons, How to Survive 1+2, Torchlight (ehhh), and Victor Vran.

Maybe Diablo 3 but I can't justify buying it. Maybe the new 40k ARPG by the Helsing people. Apparently Wolcen sucks?

So while there are clearly better choices, there aren't enough of them to write off the early Sacreds forever. As far as I know it's a weird tiny genre.

Out of these, which ones are not so, how to say, endgame optimum based? Like I like clicking things and getting new skills and trying them out, not so much putting a million points into my two different skills to get ready for the end.

I think I already have Van Helsing Final Cut (free at some point? Never played), didn't like the feel of PoE, and liked Torchlight 1 but bounced off Torchlight 2. Titan Quest and Grim Dawn seem cheap ish, but not with all the expansions. And reading up on Wolcen it's always GOOD BUT CAVEATS

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
First time I took a side cave in Wolcen, which starts its own separate quest to finish it.
At the end of the cave i get into a large battle and i guess I killed the target creature as a UI window pops up and states "You have completed your quest, choose a reward" with a list of 4 rewards.
Problem was that all of the creatures that were not the objective were all still beating the gently caress out of me behind that big rear end reward choosing window.

That is Wolcen in a nutshell, ok game otherwise.
But am guessing the game is just filled with poo poo like that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Artelier posted:

Out of these, which ones are not so, how to say, endgame optimum based? Like I like clicking things and getting new skills and trying them out, not so much putting a million points into my two different skills to get ready for the end.

I think I already have Van Helsing Final Cut (free at some point? Never played), didn't like the feel of PoE, and liked Torchlight 1 but bounced off Torchlight 2. Titan Quest and Grim Dawn seem cheap ish, but not with all the expansions. And reading up on Wolcen it's always GOOD BUT CAVEATS

Diablo 3, there are no points in skills per se and you can respec at any time to try out new skills.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I seem to burn out of Grim Dawn by the time I hit the swamp in the Ashes expansion, but absolutely love it til then. Wolcen is definitely a wait-and-see if you’ve not already bought it. I’m going to uninstall it and wait a few months to see what happens.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Those drat swamps go on FOREVER

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I remember Nox as being a really fun game in that vein. I've bought it on GOG but not tried it again just yet.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

socialsecurity posted:

Diablo 3, there are no points in skills per se and you can respec at any time to try out new skills.

I looked this up and it is VERY THE EXPENSIVE* so if there's a next best it would be much appreciated! If not, it's okay, will wait for a sale or something.

Approximately 12 times the price of base Grim Dawn, for reference.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone tried The Suicide of Rachel Foster? Seems like one of those walky sim murder mystery games but it's the first time I've seen it come up in my recommended queue. It just came out a few days ago.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Artelier posted:

I looked this up and it is VERY THE EXPENSIVE* so if there's a next best it would be much appreciated! If not, it's okay, will wait for a sale or something.

Approximately 12 times the price of base Grim Dawn, for reference.

Yea so apparently the blizz store had a dozen different diablo bundles listed which makes this more confusing than it should be. But afaik, you only need the diablo battle chest which is d3 plus expansion for 30€, potentially the eternal collection which is that plus the necromancer class for 40€.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Interesting post by the Void Destroyer 2 guy about what he's doing next: New ship, priorities and plans.

quote:

Long term plans:

Now that release is 2 weeks behind us, my thoughts are cleared as far as my future projects.

I've basically come up with a list of what I don't want:

Don't want to spend 3+ years in between releases.
Don't want to do it all myself.
Don't want to do Early Access.

The above items are a pretty radical change to how I've been doing things.

Early Access turns off many players and is difficult for smaller indies like me in terms of marketing.

Spending 3+ years without launching a game means spending 3+ years of uncertainty of income and increasing your risk in case of a bad launch.

Being a team of 1 (with contract artists) just grinds you down and because I'm not great with the art aspect and the effect of that is that it limits the game's appeal.

--

So I've listed what I don't want - but what do I want?

I want to launch a game in about a year.

I want a new art style, a bit more appealing to a bigger audience - but still appropriate for an indie game. I want an artist as a part of the team rather than a contract artist.

I want to add a boat load of features and polish into Void Destroyer 2 - as it nearly becomes this new game. So while not having a Early Access for the new game - the new features will have a chance to be tested before the new game's release.

So it's almost as if I'm using Void Destroyer 2 as a sort of Early Access for it.

To me this is a win win - I get to polish Void Destroyer 2 - get features tested by you guys - and launch a new game quickly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I finally got around to playing Grim Dawn this week. I rolled a Necromancer and I can summon 8 skellytons and a plague monster, so I just stroll through areas and pick up the loot while my undead horde lays waste to all the monsters.

E: How does the D3 Necro compare? Can you also have a horde of pets? What I'd really like, if not focused on pets, is to play as a WoW Death Knight without having to play WoW.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 25, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Interesting post by the Void Destroyer 2 guy about what he's doing next: New ship, priorities and plans.

Sounds good and honest

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Darkrenown posted:

I finally got around to playing Grim Dawn this week. I rolled a Necromancer and I can summon 8 skellytons and a plague monster, so I just stroll through areas and pick up the loot while my undead horde lays waste to all the monsters.

E: How does the D3 Necro compare? Can you also have a horde of pets? What I'd really like, if not focused on pets, is to play as a WoW Death Knight without having to play WoW.

D3 Necro can be played very pet focused yeah. It's one of the best necromancers honestly, second only to Diablo 2s.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Witch doctor is also good for pet builds. I don’t have the necro pack but their top builds seem more about spamming corpse lances than skellies.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey gang, I absolutely love FrostPunk but I loving hate playing it. I'm not even that far into the game. What's really bothering me is that there seems to be a ridiculous amount of micromanagement for a game that doesn't have a UI built around that core idea. I'm only as far as there are people gathering in numbers who want to return to London, but it's already overwhelming. It's difficult, which I would be okay with, if it wasn't so frustratingly tedious as I'm also losing. Uh, I guess, my question is... is that everyone's experience with this game? Does it get better? Does it get less tedious? Is there a "hump" worth overcoming, some part that just needs to be endured so that the real game can start?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grim Dawn is clicking with me - just spent the last hour whacking things with my sword while listening to a podcast, which is exactly what I wanted when I opened up my ARPG folder. I'm going Soldier/Demolitionist, but with no overall plan. I take skills that look cool and if they work together great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

credburn posted:

Hey gang, I absolutely love FrostPunk but I loving hate playing it. I'm not even that far into the game. What's really bothering me is that there seems to be a ridiculous amount of micromanagement for a game that doesn't have a UI built around that core idea. I'm only as far as there are people gathering in numbers who want to return to London, but it's already overwhelming. It's difficult, which I would be okay with, if it wasn't so frustratingly tedious as I'm also losing. Uh, I guess, my question is... is that everyone's experience with this game? Does it get better? Does it get less tedious? Is there a "hump" worth overcoming, some part that just needs to be endured so that the real game can start?

Can't you just tell them that brexit means brexit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genesis Alpha One just released. It looks like it's first person FTL kinda?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grim Dawn is clicking with me - just spent the last hour whacking things with my sword while listening to a podcast, which is exactly what I wanted when I opened up my ARPG folder. I'm going Soldier/Demolitionist, but with no overall plan. I take skills that look cool and if they work together great.

You're doing it right. Worrying about exact breakpoints and build specific gear is not necessary, unless you're god knows how many hours in and start pushing mad levels in Crucible or Shattered Realms. A Commando is very flexible too, with some nice options.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like Grim Dawn but oh boy is that game painfully slow. You hit that "oh there are no new toys" point way before being done with the main campaign.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Artelier posted:

From my experience I would probably say Grim Dawn. Other than missing the new classes you can just get the base game and play through on normal difficulty. When you "win" at the end it unlocks the next difficulty level, and that is where the first expansion starts, so you can just buy the dlc at that point if it's something that looks good to you.

Definitely not as end game focused as PoE in my opinion, and I love PoE.

I just started the first expansion content so don't know enough to go get any input into whether the expansions are worth it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh good, the Grim Dawn expansions aren't on sale right now so it's good to hear I don't need them until I actually beat the game. Which may or may not happen, it depends on how many podcast episodes I have.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

credburn posted:

Frostpunk definitely does not require much micromanaging other than occasionally clicking certain buttons in certain buildings to get one of the two bars up. Once the game clicks with you, it becomes far too easy and unfortunately I just kinda stumbled onto a winning strategy from my first try.

Strategy spoiler:
Lots of hunters, one cookhouse, get a few coal pile makers around a pair of gathering huts. Don't bother with the farm building, the Hothouse. Avoid having to use the sawmill and get the Wall Drill as quickly as possible. Use as many scouts as possible and keep them out in the wild exploring as much as possible - only send them back when they find people.

Scenario spoiler:
You'll also find that each scenario, including the main one you're on, will always just have a few limp curveballs that can destroy you on your first run, but any future run, you just have to adjust accordingly and you'll be fine.

I will say that while I hated my time with the game, I was thoroughly captivated and played every scenario a couple times. I think I went into it just hoping it'd be something it wasn't.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grim Dawn: why the heck did the dialogue force me to tell a dying man that I'd already found his treasure, eesh. Let him rest in peace thinking he'd done me a good deed, instead of me being all "yeah your hiding skills suck"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

credburn posted:

I downloaded this again on Gamepass after trying it on Steam and refunding it a while ago and I feel very much the same way about it. I think the setting and concept of the game is great but even halfway through the first mission I find myself getting frustrated with it and closing the game in frustration. I know a lot of it is probably just me not fully understanding how to game the systems in my favor but every time I start a new game I fall behind and feel myself starting to backslide almost immediately.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grim Dawn: why the heck did the dialogue force me to tell a dying man that I'd already found his treasure, eesh. Let him rest in peace thinking he'd done me a good deed, instead of me being all "yeah your hiding skills suck"

I like that Grim Dawn lets you acknowledge that you've already done quest things by giving you special dialogue but yeah, there is no peace or goodness to be had in these ravaged lands.

Also for anyone else looking for ARPG alternatives there is Vikings - Wolves of Midgard for something less endgame-focused. It's not perfect but they do some neat stuff with the combat like giving you a dodge roll to emphasize avoiding damage rather than tanking through everything.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita
19. Rain World
20. 8BitBoy
21. Wings of Vi
22. MO:Astray
23. Total Party Kill
24. Dandara

25. Potata

Potata is one of those indie games that comes out of nowhere, with a boatload of pretty art and a whole mess of promise. Platformers are a tough market to stand out in, and bright, colorful art and cute characters are a good way to do it if you nail the visual quality. Potata certainly manages that, from its roly-poly characters to its lush pastoral backgrounds. Playing it is a bit of a different matter, and a powerful reminder of just how indie its origins are, warts and all. Ambitious in appearance and scope, you may find the moment-to-moment gameplay lacking, but the charm here goes a long way.

Our heroine is the petite Potata, an aspiring witch under the tutelage of her doting mother. A bit on the lazy, scatterbrained side, Potata needs help curing her fox familiar of a nasty malady that’s gripped him. Her mother gives her a list of ingredients to track down, and with that it’s off to the forest in search of the cure. There’s a whole lotta forest between her and the various leaves and fungi she needs, though, and it’s populated by all kinds of unfriendly flora and fauna. Fortunately there are plenty of gems and berries and magical bits to keep her going, and power the unusual mystical devices she finds along the way.

Before you go anywhere, you’ll start in Potata’s cozy family home, rendered in some incredibly warm and detailed artwork. This visual charm oozes from the entire game, characters and enemies and items and environments alike. It looks like what you’d imagine a licensed game based on an animated series or film would be, if those didn’t still tend towards cheap crap. That same charm doesn’t quite extend to the dialog, sadly, which is surprisingly wordy and awkwardly translated from some eastern European language. It’s still comprehensible but enough of a mess that it’ll take you right out of the game.

Luckily there’s not a lot to read once you get out of Potata’s remarkably sprawling village. Levels in this game are straightforward platforming challenges, leaping over gaps and brambles while hoovering up blue gems that serve as currency. These can be traded for items, used to activate checkpoints, or paid for clues to the puzzles in each level. You won’t find many conventional platform puzzles in Potata, because it seems that duty has been delegated to more traditional forms. You’ll find giant stone devices in the forest that challenge you to solve blackout or tetromino arrangements before you can progress, a rather jarring way to arrest your progress. They don’t tend to be very difficult, but that only makes it harder to justify their presence.

Beyond these oddly-placed puzzles, there’s not much of note about the levels themselves. You’ll run, jump, flip switches, ride platforms, and avoid big spiky balls. If anything, the spiky balls are shockingly omnipresent, forming more barriers and obstacles than normal pacing enemies and bottomless pits. Items like keys, berries, and tools abound, and can be used from your inventory like point-and-click adventure items. It’s a neat extra layer to the gameplay, but still not much of a distraction from the very standard platforming. There’s that certain lightness and lack of impact to everything that a lot of indie games have, not any kind of dealbreaker but another flaw beneath that thick layer of charm.

Potata is far from a bad game, and if you love the art I think that can carry you quite a ways through this one. The gameplay is unremarkable, and hampered by confusing writing at times, but there are far worse things than an unambitious platformer. You’ll get a fair bit of mileage out of this one, especially if you really scour the levels for their many secrets and side items. Really I just keep coming back to the graphics, which are some of the best I’ve seen from the very indie sides of the genre. I’d love for the gameplay to be punched up with a little more variety and heft, but that’s not where the magic of Potata lies and if you’re okay with that, it’ll be a lovely little ride.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

credburn posted:

The Londoner event is the peak difficulty in the regular campaign and the game will get better afterwards while remaining tense all the way through with still some options to gently caress up.
Its worth getting over.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

explosivo posted:

I downloaded this again on Gamepass after trying it on Steam and refunding it a while ago and I feel very much the same way about it. I think the setting and concept of the game is great but even halfway through the first mission I find myself getting frustrated with it and closing the game in frustration. I know a lot of it is probably just me not fully understanding how to game the systems in my favor but every time I start a new game I fall behind and feel myself starting to backslide almost immediately.

I assume that stuff is intentional, it's trying to frustrate you into going full nazi so it can then pull it's gotcha on you.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
iirc, Frostpunk is billed as a "misery simulator", right? Isn't intentionally frustrating the player sort of the thing the devs were going for?

(haven't played it myself but I have it wishlisted and am curious about the general consensus)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

iirc, Frostpunk is billed as a "misery simulator", right? Isn't intentionally frustrating the player sort of the thing the devs were going for?

(haven't played it myself but I have it wishlisted and am curious about the general consensus)

A bit. It's their second game after This War of Mine, which absolutely is a misery simulator but is also a work of art that everyone should play and then wiki the siege of Sarajevo.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

drat horror queefs posted:

Frostpunk is mostly a puzzle game with a bleak tone that makes it appear deeper than it is. It's not a grand-scale city builder like Simcity or Cities:Skylines, nor is it an individual characters-scale colony builder like Rimworld or Dwarf fortress, it's more of a "find the correct sequence of moves to win this largely nonrandomized scenario" sort of game. There's little freedom in where you can build all the important buildings, the goal is to figure out how to optimize your build order to end up in a winnable state by the end.

The game will periodically ask you to choose between a few different stat bonuses, usually with some real sad sack flavor text wrapped around it, but since there's no actual characters in the game and your citizens are just a population number with an aggregate happiness meter, it's hard for me to connect.

The graphics are evocative and they certainly spent a lot of effort into making the place look really drat cold, with the way the wind and snow effects suppress the feeble furnace glows, but the game is not randomized enough to surprise you, nor is it systems-driven or freeform enough to allow any creativity, so once you've enjoyed the graphics it's hard to justify more than one playthrough.

I wouldn't call it a "misery simulator" since there's so little simulation. It might be miserable, but there's no connection with your populace outside of the research flavor text that is the same every time. Sometimes you can win while still choosing options that have less sad flavor text, but that's mostly just because you picked an easier difficulty or else memorized the optimal sequence of moves. Maybe get it on sale if you're interested, but I wouldn't expect too much. It's a pretty shallow snowdrift.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If you want to play something that evokes the feeling of being really drat cold, with some tough moral choices, with absolutely baller gameplay and random elements so new playthroughs are a treat - Frost is your jam.

It's a single player card game about surviving a trek through a frozen wasteland, surviving, eating, and getting as many people through as possible. Your leader characters will change up gameplay a lot, and I just... I fell in love with this game and got all the achievements and it was a real treat. Highly recommended.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm assembling my new PC hopefully this weekend. I like FPS games for the shooty parts and the power fantasy; but I am also very bad at aiming. How much will I like DOOM if I do want a decent-ish non-pushover experience but no like actual skill needed :v: ?

Last singleplayer shooter I completed was Binary Domain if we don't count FPS-RPG's.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My favorite game about being cold and taking shelter by a lonely source of warmth is cryostasis, which evokes its themes in a novel way by leaving all your CPU cores cold except for one

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zedd posted:

I'm assembling my new PC hopefully this weekend. I like FPS games for the shooty parts and the power fantasy; but I am also very bad at aiming. How much will I like DOOM if I do want a decent-ish non-pushover experience but no like actual skill needed :v: ?

You don’t have to be precise in doom 2016, just to keep moving, and there’s an easy difficulty if you want it so I’d say it’s a good pick

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There are 2 speeds in Doom: Rip and Tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

My fave cold bits in games are in the original Crysis, where your billion-dollar super suit, which can turn invisible, give you super strength and generally make you equal or better than the entire NK army, does not seem to have any insulating properties at all, forcing you to sit near fires to warm up, like some sort of special forces hobo. Or Dead Space 3, which did the exact same thing, but also managed to have a save point in the snow where three snownomorphs rose up out of the ice approx 0.3 seconds after your save loaded.

Thanks, EA.