Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

*walks through saloon doors with my hands on my hips*

There's a new Bob in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Did Motherless Brooklyn turn out as bad as it seemed to? I loved, loved, loved the book and author when I was in high school and I was so excited to see the movie, but the reviews weren't great and the closest theater was a couple hours away so I didn't see it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ariza posted:

Did Motherless Brooklyn turn out as bad as it seemed to? I loved, loved, loved the book and author when I was in high school and I was so excited to see the movie, but the reviews weren't great and the closest theater was a couple hours away so I didn't see it.

I liked it, but it changed a lot and that wasn't taken well by people who enjoyed the book.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Scorsese going to take over as Disney CEO

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Folks, he's running.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Folks, he's running.

America finally achieves its Disney Destiny

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think that’s it! I really enjoyed the time/narrative fuckery in that book, like how there’s another protagonist you find out about at the end who never gets mentioned because the monsters erase him from existence

It was my favorite book in high school. Probably read it half a dozen times but dunno how well it's aged.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Folks, he's running.

For what?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is he the guy who ran Disney parks like a cheapskate

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Watched Car Wash.

Yo, this poo poo is fire. You can see the clear influence on everyone from Spike Lee to frickin' Richard Linklater, but the main thing that stuck out to me was Antonio Fargas's character Lindy. It's shocking what a progressive depiction of not just a queer character this is, but a black trans woman (although given the time it was made, it's likely she's just meant to be a "cross-dresser"). And not just her representation as a character, but the way everyone else in the movie treats her. They use her pronouns, they crack wise with her just like everyone else, the only character who is bigoted towards her ends up being Abdullah, Bill Duke's character - and even there she gets the upper hand on him just using her wit, and the point is clearly supposed to be that this is part of his tragic arc as a young black man in the '70s going through heavy poo poo in his life, that it's not a function of how she expresses herself.

Need to see more of Michael Schultz's stuff. I've only seen Cooley High otherwise.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Good point keep talkin posted:

It was my favorite book in high school. Probably read it half a dozen times but dunno how well it's aged.

Definitely better than the movie, and I remember enjoying the sequel as well!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

K. Waste posted:

Watched Car Wash.

Yo, this poo poo is fire. You can see the clear influence on everyone from Spike Lee to frickin' Richard Linklater, but the main thing that stuck out to me was Antonio Fargas's character Lindy. It's shocking what a progressive depiction of not just a queer character this is, but a black trans woman (although given the time it was made, it's likely she's just meant to be a "cross-dresser"). And not just her representation as a character, but the way everyone else in the movie treats her. They use her pronouns, they crack wise with her just like everyone else, the only character who is bigoted towards her ends up being Abdullah, Bill Duke's character - and even there she gets the upper hand on him just using her wit, and the point is clearly supposed to be that this is part of his tragic arc as a young black man in the '70s going through heavy poo poo in his life, that it's not a function of how she expresses herself.

Need to see more of Michael Schultz's stuff. I've only seen Cooley High otherwise.

I've been meaning to give this one a rewatch for a while now, and this post just pushed me off the fence, so thanks!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Watched Car Wash.

Krush Groove is surprisingly deep and has a really great storyline considering it was made as a promotional vehicle for the Fat Boys. I’m surprised you haven’t seen the Last Dragon yet either. And not to take away anything from Michael Schultz, but the writer from Cooley High, Eric Monte, went on to write for the Jeffersons, Good Times, and What’s Happening!, which was a spiritual successor to Cooley High.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Good point keep talkin posted:

Sounds like John Dies at the End. Haven't seen the movie but read the book.

I haven't seen the movie because the book was so bad. I think I gave up after 5 pages, the writing was insufferable. But I do like the concept of a low rent The Matrix, so maybe the film version is worth checking out. Paul Giamatti is always fun

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Setting the Lost In Space remake show in the Prometheus universe is a goddamned masterstroke. Best thing on TV.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Setting the Lost In Space remake show in the Prometheus universe is a goddamned masterstroke. Best thing on TV.

Whoa hey what now

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ruddiger posted:

Whoa hey what now

Strictly on an aesthetic level, it's exactly Prometheus. It feels like the show raided Ridley Scott's garage. There are also thematic similarities but it's been a long-rear end time since I've watched it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Is this guy going to not be a dildo about people actually seeing Fox movies?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Look in your heart and know

All CEOs are dildoes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Look in your heart and know

All CEOs are dildoes.

I mean yeah, but sometimes they make decisions like that so people will give them more money.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CPL593H posted:

No, Chapek is the guy currently in charge of the parks, where his reign has essentially resulted in absurd corner-cutting to save costs at all... uh, costs. The Disneyworld ~*experience*~ has gotten way worse under his rule, the workers are treated and paid like dogshit and frequently live in their cars in the park's parking lots, and even the products they sell have become second-rate. The make-your-own-lightsabers in the big new Star Wars park are brittle pieces of crap and they're, like, a main thing there.

If his philosophy carries over to the film division, you can probably expect a lot more lesser-known actors, writers, directors, etc. they can get for megacheap and surviving on the sheer strength of the brands, or even "introducing" new stars they can wrangle the cheapest possible contracts out of. Iger has been talking about wanting to step down for a while now, the surprise here is that he did it a year earlier than he said he would. I don't think there's any big drama, he just wants to retire. (gently caress him anyways though)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think CPL was wondering about the fate of older movies in the Fox library getting repertory screenings at arthouse theaters, which the new Bob being a complete loving cheapskate might work to theaters advantage, since it's basically free money.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I think CPL was wondering about the fate of older movies in the Fox library getting repertory screenings at arthouse theaters, which the new Bob being a complete loving cheapskate might work to theaters advantage, since it's basically free money.

Yes it's this. And also the Freaked blu-ray.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

Whoa hey what now

LesterGroans posted:

Strictly on an aesthetic level, it's exactly Prometheus. It feels like the show raided Ridley Scott's garage. There are also thematic similarities but it's been a long-rear end time since I've watched it.

Beyond even the themes and aesthetics, the first season (at least) is a solid narrative bridge between Prometheus and Alien Covenant. I don’t believe anything even contradicts the plot of those films. It enhances them.

It literally is somebody using the Lost In Space license to do an epic Prometheus fan-film on a Netflix budget (God bless ‘em). It’s not “officially canon”, but the show maintains an atmosphere where a black goo could plausibly (and arguably does) overwhelm anyone at any moment. Still, it’s mostly about the kind of bullshit that the space colonists have to deal with then there aren’t any xenomorphs around. The protagonists are flying around in the Weyland-Yutani equivalent of a high-end RV.

As a result of the relative mundanity, there’s even a good amount of similarity to The Martian - though it’s thankfully not nearly as aggressively upbeat. The sometimes-standard wholesome character drama is constantly butting up against the crushing meaninglessness of the universe. It’s the real drama.

Besides the obvious Scott influence, the first season is basically an extremely loose, long-form remake of Planeta Bur. And, like Alien Covenant, there are numerous unexpected references to Spielberg’s The Lost World. So it’s the good poo poo. Five stars.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 26, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think Iger leaving will affect Disney's attitude towards repertory since they've always been tight-gripped on their films, but we'll see.

Though, the Comcast/Universal and AT&T/Warner buyouts seemed to be good for preservation and licensing. There's a lot of projects that were on hold for the longest time that only got approval after the buyouts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Iger wasn't even anything special. Buying poo poo isn't hard when you got loads of capital.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/DolphinGarage/status/1232335318923214849?s=20

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Maybe a Coronavirus quarantine will finally get me to watch The Irishman.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I sincerely hope James Marsden gets to chauffeur a CGI Ed, Edd and Eddy in like 10 years.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

This bit is funny when done right though, and imitation in art predates capitalism by a couple of millennia.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
CAR WASH is great, gently caress Pauline Kael.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is there some list of notable film critics that notes which directors they championed and/or denounced?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I don't think I've ever hated two human beings more than I hate the parents in The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez. Seriously, watch the show but be prepared for an absolute nuclear level of rage at two of the most awful humans of all time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I can't watch too many documentaries unless it's about silly poo poo like Darkon or Winnebago Man because I'm just pissed off about the world too much already.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I can't watch too many documentaries unless it's about silly poo poo like Darkon or Winnebago Man because I'm just pissed off about the world too much already.

Watch American Movie and have your faith restored in the beauty of creativity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CPL593H posted:

Watch High Score and Rockafire Explosion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I wanted to like the new Lost in Space series, but I just can't. There's the boy-and-his-dog aspect, and the family sitcom aspect, and the interesting stuff happens around the margins of that.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe a Coronavirus quarantine will finally get me to watch The Irishman.

Watch it you schlub

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Birds of Prey (and the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb), is pretty alright. Some of the action is pretty good, there's a handful of genuinely funny jokes, and it's not boring.

It's very try-hard, a bit too long, relies way too heavily on exposition via voice over, has no faith in its audience, and could've trimmed a few of the titular birds to give the others more room to breathe but it's by far the best of the recent DC films (that I've seen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Birds of Prey (and the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb),

I loled