Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Casually checking this was a pretty busy debate for this far in the primary. By this point it's usually two candidates, but 2004 it was 4, 2000 it was 3, and 1992 it was 6. Dunno about earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Speaking time breakdown which may also have effected Bernie's positive results:

Bernie: 15:03
Everyone Else Except Tom: 11:44 - 13:29
Tom Steyer: 7:00 (Steyer has spent the most time and money in South Carolina)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Amy and Pete will stick around until Bernie locks it up on the off chance they'll get enough delegates to be prize pigs in a contested convention.

I really think Warren's done after South Carolina if her good debate doesn't break through into a respectable showing.

I highly doubt she drops out prior to Super Tuesday unless she runs out of money first. She's already on the ballot and has poured time and resources into several of them, and sunk cost bias is a hell of a drug. If she fails to have any respectable showings on Super Tuesday though then yeah, I think she folds. I'd also like to think that Amy will fold as well once it becomes clear that somebody who she considers "qualified" in terms of experience is the front runner, and not an upstart line jumper like Pete. If Biden loses SC he has to drop out I think, otherwise he's going to stick around long term. We're stuck with Bloomberg until the convention no matter how pathetic his results end up being.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PotatoManJack posted:

ok but subtract the time buttigieg was squeaking over bernie and see how much time he actually got

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sydin posted:

I'd also like to think that Amy will fold as well once it becomes clear that somebody who she considers "qualified" in terms of experience is the front runner, and not an upstart line jumper like Pete.

if amy's sticking around purely to spite buttigieg then you know what, good on her

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sydin posted:

I highly doubt she drops out prior to Super Tuesday unless she runs out of money first. She's already on the ballot and has poured time and resources into several of them, and sunk cost bias is a hell of a drug. If she fails to have any respectable showings on Super Tuesday though then yeah, I think she folds. I'd also like to think that Amy will fold as well once it becomes clear that somebody who she considers "qualified" in terms of experience is the front runner, and not an upstart line jumper like Pete. If Biden loses SC he has to drop out I think, otherwise he's going to stick around long term. We're stuck with Bloomberg until the convention no matter how pathetic his results end up being.

I think Biden and everyone else is in through Super Tuesday regardless of their performance in SC. It's literally three days later. Dropping out the Sunday before Super Tuesday doesn't actually get you anything except less delegates than you would have gotten otherwise.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

This debate sucked poo poo, but Bernies still gonna win.

Give Bernie some money or your phone number, though. He's still gonna need some help.

Going to volunteer for Bernie tomorrow based on pure spite. Because gently caress all of those losers.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 26, 2020

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Rubio doing a great job of advertising a literal utopia for us here.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

droll posted:

I don't think you have been reading the past few months debate threads because Warren did spectacularly last debate and the thread agreed. Same with tonight.

Warren doesn't matter, though.

The only performances that are remotely meaningful (and that's a stretch given that debates don't matter much anyway) are Bernie's and Biden's, especially going into SC. Bloomberg would matter if he wasn't such a disaster. Everyone else is just a weird distraction at this point.

edit- This was the problem with people in this thread freaking out about Warren's debate performance before Nevada. It didn't matter at all, because she wasn't competitive in Nevada. She's not competitive in SC either, so her debate performance is a non-issue. You don't swing 12 points on a debate. You're lucky if a stellar debate performance gives you a 1-2% boost.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 26, 2020

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PotatoManJack posted:

The speaking time table needs an eighth row: crosstalk.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Brony Car posted:

Has this gotten shared yet? I'd like to know your thoughts on it as I remember some of you guys talking about how promising early voter turnout in some of the Super Tuesday states has been.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-voters.html

Fyi the author of this article is married to a Bain capital VP

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ice Phisherman posted:

Going to volunteer for Bernie tomorrow based on pure spite. Because gently caress all of those losers.

This is the attitude we need.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I put on an audio feed of MSNBC for my nightly walk and, y'all, James Carville is so loving dumb. Jesus Christ.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Brony Car posted:

Has this gotten shared yet? I'd like to know your thoughts on it as I remember some of you guys talking about how promising early voter turnout in some of the Super Tuesday states has been.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-voters.html

It’s mainly true but doesn’t mean Bernie can’t win, just that he’ll win along normal Dem lines with the normal dem coalition, and not at the head of a mass movement. Bear in mind we’ve had literally one normal loving election at this point too, so things could change.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cabbit posted:

I put on an audio feed of MSNBC for my nightly walk and, y'all, James Carville is so loving dumb. Jesus Christ.

Oh my lord, what's he saying now?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

rubin literally has no idea what life is like outside of DC

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Primary turnout and general election turnout aren't really related.

People have also said in this thread that turnout was low for 2016 and it was actually higher than 2012. If Bernie has the same turnout percentage but changes the demographics of that turnout it would be good.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Cabbit posted:

Where do you live that has local news like that, because I want to live there too.

Northampton, MA. Our crosswalks are pride flags.

Edit: Wait, when the gently caress did Chris Christie start not giving a gently caress and having actual good takes on things.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Every turnout estimate also has to deal with the fact that 2008 was a colossal spike in turnout, Obama and all, that’s unlikely to be replicated. Turnout during primaries could also mean a bunch of things, including a large chunk of voters that are basically fine with all or most of the candidates.

If turnout remains relatively low on Super Tuesday, then maybe start worrying about the general.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Paradoxish posted:

Never, ever trust people in these threads to accurately gauge how a debate is going. I've been reading stupid D&D live posting debate threads for like a decade and a half and people always assume their candidate did horrible and always think it's going to be the end of them.

Watching it go down in real time it seemed like that one bad answer and the shady audience triggered a wave of panic that all was lost and Bernie was hosed tonight. It took a while before the thread came back to its senses (and for some real OGs in the audience to pick up on what was happening and start screaming back.)

It makes sense, I was nervous too, but it was all 'fine', fine as it could be given the circumstances. My personal feeling is it's really not gonna matter, the weapons they're bringing out against Bernie are the things that would convince someone not to vote for him who was always going to vote Trump anyway.

It's just my feeling, and based on growing up in an always blue union family, but even my grandparents can pick up on the bullshit. Honestly the more obvious the bullshit is might be for the better, subtle ratfucking gets picked up by Twitter and the terminally online, but this stuff, the whole primary season not just the debate, gets picked up by everyone who's even half paying attention. And we see it, Bernie's winning.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BrainDance posted:

Watching it go down in real time it seemed like that one bad answer and the shady audience triggered a wave of panic that all was lost and Bernie was hosed tonight. It took a while before the thread came back to its senses (and for some real OGs in the audience to pick up on what was happening and start screaming back.)

It makes sense, I was nervous too, but it was all 'fine', fine as it could be given the circumstances. My personal feeling is it's really not gonna matter, the weapons they're bringing out against Bernie are the things that would convince someone not to vote for him who was always going to vote Trump anyway.

It's just my feeling, and based on growing up in an always blue union family, but even my grandparents can pick up on the bullshit. Honestly the more obvious the bullshit is might be for the better, subtle ratfucking gets picked up by Twitter and the terminally online, but this stuff, the whole primary season not just the debate, gets picked up by everyone who's even half paying attention. And we see it, Bernie's winning.

i mean the CBS group thought bernie was the best to go against trump and did the best in the debate. bernie sticks to his guns and says smart and right stuff.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Paradoxish posted:

Warren doesn't matter, though.

The only performances that are remotely meaningful (and that's a stretch given that debates don't matter much anyway) are Bernie's and Biden's, especially going into SC.

Everyone said Bernie did great last debate in the live thread.

Paradoxish posted:

Never, ever trust people in these threads to accurately gauge how a debate is going. I've been reading stupid D&D live posting debate threads for like a decade and a half and people always assume their candidate did horrible and always think it's going to be the end of them.

So this is nonsense, as it applies to the 2019/2020 debates. I mean, anyone following the primary threads knows that Warren for example received a significant bump in both donations and polling data after her good performance knifing Bloomberg. Bernie too. You're talking poo poo from 2015/2016 like it means something now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

droll posted:

Everyone said Bernie did great last debate in the live thread.

So this is nonsense, as it applies to the 2019/2020 debates.

People in the Nevada debate thread were convinced that Warren was going to surge and ruin Bernie’s lead in Nevada.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
1 or 2 people. Cool story. It's meaningless. The overwhelming majority said Bernie did great. You're gonna need to back up your claims with some data if you want to pursue this further.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paradoxish posted:

People in the Nevada debate thread were convinced that Warren was going to surge and ruin Bernie’s lead in Nevada.

yeah. i think warren is gonna stick around until after super tuesday than drop. Bernie did well for the most part tonight and won for it. biden did well enough tonight too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

droll posted:

I mean, anyone following the primary threads knows that Warren for example received a significant bump in both donations and polling data after her good performance knifing Bloomberg.

She got a bump in donations, her polling bump was minimal at best and has quickly faded and didn't help her at all in Nevada

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Look, I pendulum swing wildly and seemingly at random. I'm a total lightweight and I appreciate having this place as an outlet for my flailing, even if it isn't that healthy. :colbert:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Majorian posted:

Oh my lord, what's he saying now?

Some garbage about how actually every poll Bernie ever cited was useless and everyone knows it but his supporters are a cult, or something like that. I switched over to CNN in disgust because it was that bad and proceeded about the business of bleaching that memory.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

droll posted:

1 or 2 people. Cool story. It's meaningless. The overwhelming majority said Bernie did great. You're gonna need to back up your claims with some data if you want to pursue this further.

Please see volume 42 issue 7 of the Journal of Something Awful studies for a full breakdown of the data

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If tonight's debate did anything to nudge polls I'd be shocked. Particularly in SC where Bernie and Biden are considered the only candidates who could win it anyway.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think warren is gonna stick around until after super tuesday than drop. Bernie did well for the most part tonight and won for it. biden did well enough tonight too.

Yeah. I think the only way this debate could have mattered in even a marginal way is if someone really hurt Biden. Apparently Biden's obvious signs of dementia aren't enough to turn off voters, so it's probably all a wash.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mutata posted:

Look, I pendulum swing wildly and seemingly at random. I'm a total lightweight and I appreciate having this place as an outlet for my flailing, even if it isn't that healthy. :colbert:

Just keep the Mac-10 holstered, please :)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
No one's dropping out before super tuesday, that would make absolutely no sense. I imagine in their speeches after the counts two of Warren/Buttigeig/Klobuchar will drop will out if Sanders does well. Steyer will likely also drop out if super tuesday shows a clear leader. Bloomberg is a poo poo who will stay. Biden will likely stay. Whichever of Buttigeig/Warren/Klobuchar outperforms will stay.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/TurncoatD/status/1232537806964064257?s=19

it's time. Bernie knows the fix is in and he's gotta fight the DNC

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

BrainDance posted:

Please see volume 42 issue 7 of the Journal of Something Awful studies for a full breakdown of the data

Yes please, do not tarnish this thread’s stringent empirical standards.

Speaking of stats shitposting, this is a useful way to frame things to anyone you know who likes bernie but is worried about electability:

https://twitter.com/JakeMGrumbach/status/1231313734099857408

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 26, 2020

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
well, not getting those hours of my life back. let this be a lesson to me: choose video games. choose life

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why would anyone on the ballot for Super Tuesday drop out before then, it's upon us already? Even if you're sure you were dead and didn't have any money to spend? Unless you just don't want to endure some big humiliating losses to preserve a future political career? (Looking at you, Pete)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

well, not getting those hours of my life back. let this be a lesson to me: choose video games. choose life

Yah I watched 15 minutes then went to play board games and do not regret that decision. gently caress the dnc and these networks. Giving Bernie another $20.

big_brother
Sep 27, 2015

Just found out I got a AV, but I don't know from who and why. I suspect it was related to a Bernie-related-gifting-spree months ago, so I'm gonna make my first ever political donation to Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

https://twitter.com/TurncoatD/status/1232537806964064257?s=19

it's time. Bernie knows the fix is in and he's gotta fight the DNC

:hellyeah: Call them out on their bullshit.