Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Xenocides posted:

I like the Picard show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you idiot. you dolt. you utter moron

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mango sentinel posted:

No, she said the stress and lack of sleep caused by the shooting schedule and prosthetics made her kidneys bleed. She is now into crystals, meditation, and naturopathy.

wow, her kidneys really must have bled if she's into that stuff now, golly :classiclol:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

1x21 - Arsenal of Freedom
  • I do love the obvious sets in these early episodes. Its definitely one of the better ones so far, and to be fair there probably aren't many nearby rainforests to go location shooting.
  • This is one of those neat concepts that can actually carry an entire episode. A civilisation that became so good at building automated weapons that said weapons eventually destroyed them, leaving behind only their automated POS system.
  • While I get that customers understandably would want a demonstration, it seems unwise to demonstrate their systems on the customer. We've all encountered pushy salesmen at one point in our lives, but those salesmen don't usually try and kill you if you don't opt to make a purchase.
  • The scene with Riker and the fake Captain Rice is fun.
  • I like in this story how most of the main cast gets a lot to do; Riker, Data and Yar are frantically evading newer and better drones while trying to rescue Dr Crusher and Picard. The latter two learn more about what happened on this planet while awaiting rescue, and meanwhile Geordi commands the ship and fends off an even bigger version of the same weapon system, while asserting himself against the latest chief engineer.
  • Yeah more of this please.

1x22 - Symbiosis
  • HEY KIDS, TAKING DRUGS ISN'T COOL. REMEMBER - IF YOU WANT TO BE COOL, SAY NO TO DRUGS.
  • Oh hey its David and Joachim from The Wrath of Khan.
  • I love how after getting into a full on brawl shooting electricity out of their hands both parties get taken to quarters instead of you know, the brig.
  • "Drugs make you feel good." Thanks for that Tasha.
  • NO CHILDREN, DRUGS ARE BAD. YOU DON'T NEED DRUGS TO FEEL GOOD, YOU NEED TO STAY IN SCHOOL YA'LL.
  • You know the Brekkans are probably one of thost heinous and downright reprehensible people to appear on the show so far. They decieved and turned an entire civilisation into junkies so they could profit from it. Its depressing because you just know there are plenty of people in real life who would do exactly that if they could.
  • I'm fortunate that I've never had to interact with an addict suffering from withdrawal symptoms, but if there is anyone here who has I'd appreciate their opinion on how realistic the behaviour in this story is.
  • There is a good story here that is dragged down by really hamfisted and so very 80's warnings about drug use. It feels like they are a hair's breadth away from having Geordi launch into a cringeworthy 80s rap about how bad drugs are.

1x23 - Skin of Evil
  • I appreciate the mechanics of getting Armus to work probably necessitated a set rather than finding a quarry or something, but its really unconvincing.
  • Wow Yar just gets blown away like something out of Game of Thrones. No going out in a blaze of glory or a heroic sacrifice, she just gets swatted away by Armus and thats that. A meaningless death that serves to underline just how dangerous space exploration can be, and it must have been quite the shock for first time viewers back when it aired.
  • Can't say I blame Denise Crosby for wanting out at this point, she had no idea how good the show would later become. Her character hasn't really done anything over most of this season, and it really sucks her most memorable episode outside of this one is probably, and unfortunately, Code of Honor.
  • As with a lot of these stories I really like the concept - in this case of an alien race that physically manifest and discard all their negative emotions that eventually congealed into a sentient being. Its the execution that stumbles.
  • Armus is really, really hammy. Its a shame because I think there was great potential here to make a quite a scary villain. Had the mannerisms and performance been something along the lines of Sutekh the Destroyer from the classic Doctor Who story The Pyramids of Mars, I think it would've done a lot for the overall tone and atmosphere of the show.
  • Luckily despite being killed early in the story, we get some closure because Yar suspected something like this would happen and recorded a farewell for her friends and comrades.
  • Unfortunately because Yar has been such a non-entity for a fair chunk of Season 1 it does undermine the impact of this scene. Ironically had Yar had a much greater presence the actress wouldn't have left so the scene would never have taken place.
  • Its not a terrible episode, but there are things that could've been done better.

1x24 - We'll Always Have Paris
  • I actually completely forgot this episode existed - this doesn't bode well.
  • Still reeling from the loss of Lt Yar the crew....ahaha don't be silly, she never comes up again until Yesterday's Enterprise.
  • I'm actually struggling to write anything about this episode. Temporal shenanigans should be fun, but the whole thing is just...so forgettable.
  • Sure we get some insights into Picard's past, but we don't go into huge detail and it's never brought up again as far as I'm aware.
  • You could excise this episode from history and it wouldn't make any difference to the show whatsoever.

Honestly its strange, I can waffle on about just about every other episode I watched if I wanted to, but I'm encountering a complete block with that last one. Maybe its just not for me.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
You missed Tasha waving in the background of Symbiosis, as it was shot after Skin

ps
I always pause at this moment when rewatching

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lord Ludikrous posted:

1x24 - We'll Always Have Paris
  • I actually completely forgot this episode existed - this doesn't bode well.
  • Still reeling from the loss of Lt Yar the crew....ahaha don't be silly, she never comes up again until Yesterday's Enterprise.
  • I'm actually struggling to write anything about this episode. Temporal shenanigans should be fun, but the whole thing is just...so forgettable.
  • Sure we get some insights into Picard's past, but we don't go into huge detail and it's never brought up again as far as I'm aware.
  • You could excise this episode from history and it wouldn't make any difference to the show whatsoever.

Honestly its strange, I can waffle on about just about every other episode I watched if I wanted to, but I'm encountering a complete block with that last one. Maybe its just not for me.

The real meat of the story is Picard running into his long-lost love, which if I remember right was really contentious at the time.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only thing that sticks out for me in that episode is that all the holograms speak with stereotypical French accents while Picard and the ex don't. So it makes you think that the holodeck was programmed that way.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I watched Profit and Loss the other day and the standout moment for me is when Garak just vaporizes a dude.

Not just shoots, not just murders, vaporizes leaving no evidence. Something about there being no body left behind makes it so much creepier to me.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, little bit of pain never hurt anybody. If you know what I mean. Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, gently caress-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. poo poo 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

I watched Profit and Loss the other day and the standout moment for me is when Garak just vaporizes a dude.

Not just shoots, not just murders, vaporizes leaving no evidence. Something about there being no body left behind makes it so much creepier to me.

He's tidy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's also Prophet and Loss where Quark harasses the wormhole aliens for ruining Grand Nagus Zek and Profit and Lace where he gets a sex change to close a deal for a cola brand.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
deep space 9!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

infernal machines posted:

Wait, which awful racial stereotype were they meant to be?

We know what they ended up looking like a caricature of but what did Roddenberry want them to be?

quote:

One influence on the Ferengi was what Herb Wright described as Gene Roddenberry's "sex fetish." In early first season discussions between them about developing the Ferengi, Roddenberry let Wright know it was his intention to make the species well-endowed. "He wanted to put a gigantic codpiece on the Ferengi," Wright stated. "He spent 25 minutes explaining to me all the sexual positions the Ferengi could go through. I finally said, 'Gene, this is a family show, on at 7:00 on Saturdays. He finally said, 'Okay, you're right.'"

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

piratepilates posted:

The Northridge earthquake hit during the filming of this episode forcing Armin Shimmerman to return home in full Quark make up. He said he got some interesting looks from other drivers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I'm fortunate that I've never had to interact with an addict suffering from withdrawal symptoms, but if there is anyone here who has I'd appreciate their opinion on how realistic the behaviour in this story is.

I know a Trek fan who's a self-described recovering alcoholic, and she said she figured out what was really going on the instant those two characters started jonesing for their "medicine". So at the very least, it was recognizable addict behavior.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fabulousity posted:

The Northridge earthquake hit during the filming of this episode forcing Armin Shimmerman to return home in full Quark make up. He said he got some interesting looks from other drivers.

Yes! This is the event that caused the Nana Visitor thing I mentioned, I think, where her doctor freaked because he'd thought her nose (actually her ridge makeup) had been squashed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pick posted:

Oh my god it's not loving affirmative action, Ferengi are canonically math geniuses.

It's nepotism. Nog's teacher's husband is the chief of engineering and his best friend's dad is commander of the station and a rising star in Starfleet.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

how did i wuss out with only 12 episodes and... wait, 3 TV movies left?! jesus. who is doing the spinoff show? not it! b05s05e11

❣️ i ran out of emojis it is almost kinda a red vorlon if u squint
❣️ IN SPACE bester is briefing the space fash
❣️ it is all going to kick off with byron's group
❣️ BLOODHOUND UNITS are pursuing the rogues
❣️ the core is mother
❣️ new ivanova and bester talk realpolitik. one of his dudes got got
❣️ HOLE IN YOUR MIND ENCOUNTER SUITED rear end GIANTS IN THE PLAYGROUND
❣️ goatee sheridan and delenn chat with byron and leeta.. they both want the killing to stop
❣️ bester fucks up the negotiations. he and byron have a secret past
❣️ garibaldi holds bester at gunpoint and demands he confess how he hosed him over. bester calls his bluff and demands he shoot him
❣️ bester has psychically programmed garibaldi to be unable to kill him using asimov's 3 laws of robotics, which are referenced by name
❣️ neat
❣️ also horrible. you bad, bester. more like the worster
❣️ oh yeah, bester has that janked up hand
❣️ garibaldi is displeased by this turn of events
❣️ byron is being all emo. he divulges his terrible secret
❣️ he was bester's space fash protege. bester forced him to do a war crime so lovely he had to peace out and swear off all violence
❣️ space pews pews. dissapointed this isn't more MIND WAR
❣️ garibaldi goes to see the doc. they are almost immediately taken hostage by the rebels
❣️ byron is against it and not great at acting. he plans to sneak into med lab
❣️ zack is at large doing god knows what. he and his men are assailed by telekinetic projectiles
❣️ telekinetic lad is not doing so hot
❣️ bester acts like a prick, big shock
❣️ lot of camera moves in this, surprised frakes did not direct
❣️ leeta and byron sneak into med lab
❣️ garibaldi's pleas for peace. sheridan refuses to negotiate
❣️ byron saves garibaldi's rear end... with deadly force
❣️ :siren:SINCLAIR:siren: namedrop
❣️ byron sues for peace. psycore are totally going to gently caress this all up
❣️ bester acts like a prick, slight return
❣️ sinclair outplays bester
❣️ byron has a jesus moment
❣️ bester sends byron a psychic communique. he tries to tempt him into turning himself over to psycore
❣️

quote:

psycore are totally going to gently caress this all up
❣️ psycore totally gently caress this all up. a space bloodbath ensues
❣️ byron prepares to space suicide.
❣️ his dying speech is laaaaaaaaaame. his romance with leeta is laaaaaaaaame
❣️ oh it is a mass suicide jfc
❣️ bester gets whimsically space racist
❣️ dr. steve is after garibaldi. sherry has not seen him
❣️ leeta addresses the surviving refugees. she urges them to remember byron
❣️ i rather would not
❣️ garibaldi watches cnn. he is back on the sauce

:rip: in piss byron your entire arc was absolute dogshit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

how long did that take to write

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

mediaphage posted:

how long did that take to write

however long the episode was + correcting two typos

edit; also i had to find of picture of bester as i cannot "prntscrn" on account of my keyboard being broken

Trying fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 26, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Admiral Nakamura the only non evil or compromised Admiral in Starfleet?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There was that one admiral in that episode with the crazy inquisitor lady trying to arrest the half romulan guy, he had no lines but he had the best look of disgust I've ever seen

E: Seriously look at this guy, I WISH I could convey that much disgust with just an expression

Danaru fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 26, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Measure of a Man might have some wonky court procedure (that can be handwaved by future courts) but it is a drat good character piece that would never be made in the era of Nu-Trek.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Go through the list, I’m too tired

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Starfleet_flag_officers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The academy admiral who tried to expel Wesley and Tom Paris Nick Locarno was probably not evil.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess it depends on if stealing an entire starship from Spacedock and then blowing it up (but all for a good cause, with the needs of the one outweighing the needs of the many and all that) makes an Admiral evil/compromised in your book.

(Serious answer, Admiral Ross seemed pretty cool.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Powered Descent posted:

I know a Trek fan who's a self-described recovering alcoholic, and she said she figured out what was really going on the instant those two characters started jonesing for their "medicine". So at the very least, it was recognizable addict behavior.

The episode is more eerily reminiscent of the modern opioid epidemic if anything, given it apparently started out as medical treatment but then became far too profitable to stop. As always, the real villain is capitalism.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just an FYI, the moment the Telepaths burn themselves is the EXACT moment Season 5 kicks into high gear and gets loving amazing again.

Also you're behind on the B5 movies; Thirdspace is set somewhere around mid-S4. It's also the only B5 movie that's half-decent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nothing wrong with skipping the movies entirely. they aren't good.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

deep space 9!

:hmmyes:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The only Babylon 5 movie I felt better for having watched than not was the one with Londo telling some kids about the Earth Minbari War.

Which I'm pretty sure they've already watched, so.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also you're behind on the B5 movies; Thirdspace is set somewhere around mid-S4. It's also the only B5 movie that's half-decent.

For a person who only remembers B5 on tv as a kid and never watched it (thou I do remember minbari and weird head/hairpieces, also a minbari woman becoming a human?!?!?!wtf) seriously - is it worth it now?
On scale of threshold - BoBW - ds9 - godlike where is B5?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I’m only on episode 10 of B5 but so far it’s like someone reached into an alternate universe and brought back their version of DS9. Its good and it’s one million percent more Trek than every Trek thing post-ds9. Unfortunately everyone I know avoided watching it at the time because of, yeah, the dumb headpieces

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

AntherUslessPoster posted:

For a person who only remembers B5 on tv as a kid and never watched it (thou I do remember minbari and weird head/hairpieces, also a minbari woman becoming a human?!?!?!wtf) seriously - is it worth it now?
Aside from the stupid telepath arch in season 5 I'd say B5 is better than DS9. Not like by miles, but yeah better.

Like a lot of scifi shows the first season is kind of rough though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Parts Kit posted:

Aside from the stupid telepath arch in season 5 I'd say B5 is better than DS9. Not like by miles, but yeah better.

Like a lot of scifi shows the first season is kind of rough though.

Season 1 is very much Star Trek Lite in places, especially the clearly episode-of-the-week stories, but it's still critical to watch because B5 does not let plot threads go to waste and it lays down a lot of them throughout the first season.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 26, 2020

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yeah definitely don't skip season 1, just be aware it's not as awesome as the rest.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Paramount ripped off B5 big time with DS9.

JMS went shopping around with his bible to get someone to bankroll B5. Paramount was interested, but suddenly dropped with no explanation. And then:

JMS posted:

We almost didn't get there because after we shot the pilot, I got a call from Walter Koenig—who played Chekov on Star Trek [and who would later play Bester on Babylon 5]—who was having lunch with a guy at Paramount. He said, "I wanted you to know they're doing a show based on a space station [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine], a diplomatic outpost, jumpgate [wormhole, in Trek lingo] nearby, commander with a sort of a mystical history and destiny [Benjamin Sisko], female second in command [Kira Nerys] and a changeling [Odo], which you have in your movie. They're trying to subvert what you're doing and co-opt it."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's a shame the execution with Byron was so poor, because I like the idea. A desperate underclass rallying under the banner of a charismatic cult leader who shifts their movement to be about himself could have been a decent story.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AntherUslessPoster posted:

threshold - BoBW - ds9 - godlike - B5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mossyfisk posted:

It's a shame the execution with Byron was so poor, because I like the idea. A desperate underclass rallying under the banner of a charismatic cult leader who shifts their movement to be about himself could have been a decent story.

That sounds kinda like Cult Leader Dukat, though that episode is even more of a farce in retrospect.