Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
... Is he fart-propelling through space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, that's just using his blasters. Superman is the one who farts, that little girl told everyone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alaois posted:

what's up with the late 90s and writers deciding to have Emma Frost go around telling other X-Men that actually, their powers are world-destroyingly powerful and they're just too stupid or lazy to use them right
Scott Lobdell most likely discovered Shonen like DBZ where that poo poo is a common plot device

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, nah, that ship done sailed. All anyone remembers is her shooting sparks on the Animated Series and that's all anyone will expect her to be able to do.

Jubilee becoming a vampire was probably the best thing that happened to her for a very long time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
op jubilee works for me

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Infinitum posted:

"Skin listen to me. You have so much loving skin. Jesus christ that's a lot of skin. loving hell why is your mutant power just 'extra skin'. That's such a useless loving power, but if you used it correctly you could be an Omega level mutant and cover people with your skin. Christ it just loving creeps me out thinking about it. Urgh... 'skin'"

I always love the mutants that just had loving useless powers.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 23, 2020

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He's theoretically like a thermodynamic version of Magneto but that only gets explored rarely. Has he had any good what-ifs where they just go nuts with his powers?

This is from pages ago, but there was a what if that went a little OP with iceman's powers. Gavok can probably correct me on stuff I'm getting wrong.

IIRC it was a story where Juggernaut has killed everyone in the Marvel universe but for some reason he hasn't been able to take his revenge against Charles. After a lot of stomping around the countryside, he finds a giant wall of ice in a cave or something similar. After a short while, the ice wall tells him to gently caress off, because it's actually Iceman, making himself into a giant block of ice, big enough to seal off the mouth of a cave and also be several feet thick.

Juggernaut, being a supreme dick, smashes through Bobby, killing him, naturally. Of course Charles is there along with maybe a few dozen people who were hiding out, not from Juggernaut, but some airborne super virus that was actually what killed everyone, not Juggsy. So now in the twist to the morality play that is the What If, Juggernaut has to forever walk the earth, completely alone.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mind the walrus posted:

Scott Lobdell most likely discovered Shonen like DBZ where that poo poo is a common plot device

Not to defend Scott Lobdell, but he was writing Generation X. A book about the latest class of Mutant children, growing up.

Traditionally one of the biggest parts of X-books have been about characters learning how to control their powers, which is going to naturally lead to one or two cases of "don't you see. You are more powerful than you think you are!"

The Jubilee part that I think everyone is talking about comes from the four part X-Men/Uncanny X-Men crossover that was setting up Generation X called the Phalanx Covenant. (While the X-Men have been kidnapped by the Phalanx; Banshee, Emma Frost and Sabertooth go to rescue a group of new mutants. Blink dies at the end.)

During the story the big bad is defeated when Synch copies Jubilee's powers and blows it up.
Jubilee is all "did I do that?"
Synch is "no I did that with your powers."
Jubilee gors :even better."

So different person telling a character they can do more with their powers than they think, but it is coming from a mutant who can copy a nearby mutants powers and maybe use them at higher levels? Can't fully remember what Synch's full deal was.

As for what Jubilee's powers are, while the cartoon displayed them as fireworks, it was just how a teenage Valley girl manifested the ability to make molecules explode.
Her powers really would be hilariously lethal if she used them like that.
Larry Hamma wrote a Wolverine story about her and Logan hunting down two criminals who killed Jubilee's parents and she is imagining how she is going to kill them with her powers.
All the while Wolverine is trying to stop her from becoming a victim of violence and vengeance.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean,theres alot of powers where if the person had even a cursory knowledge of physics/chemistry, they could do so much with it.

Like, It's Hal with a ring that can create whatever he imagines. So, he makes a giant fist to punch with.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean,theres alot of powers where if the person had even a cursory knowledge of physics/chemistry, they could do so much with it.

Like, It's Hal with a ring that can create whatever he imagines. So, he makes a giant fist to punch with.
And knowing Hal he's so dim he probably has to carry around an index card with pictures of a boxing glove, a shield, and a tennis racquet for when he's stuck and can't figure out what to make next.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There was also a relatively early Jubilee bit in the Acts of Vengeance issues for Uncanny X-Men, where she thinks Wolverine's died and lets rip with an explosion that tears the guts out of most of the building she's in.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

John Dyne posted:

"Cipher, you must listen to me. You are not using your full potential, and without it, all of mutantkind will be lost. Let me delve into your mind and remove the psionic blocks placed upon you by Xavier so you may unleash the TRUE power of linguistics upon the only Ultra Omega mutant on the planet and your only rival... Beak."

You joke, but isn't this the kind of logic that led to Cipher becoming a master of martial arts because "something something body language"?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Maduo posted:

You joke, but isn't this the kind of logic that led to Cipher becoming a master of martial arts because "something something body language"?

Like Magneto being a master of attraction

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Like Magneto being a master of attraction

A... wooden... gun...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Question IRL posted:

Larry Hamma wrote a Wolverine story about her and Logan hunting down two criminals who killed Jubilee's parents and she is imagining how she is going to kill them with her powers.
All the while Wolverine is trying to stop her from becoming a victim of violence and vengeance.

That was a really great little arc, I remember it involved them going back to the abandoned Outback HQ, which had probably only been abandoned for about three years in terms of publication dates, but which felt incredibly ancient and haunted to me as a little kid with practically no memory of that era.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maduo posted:

But also the logic that turned him into a strung out internet junkie.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cooked Auto posted:

Jubilee becoming a vampire was probably the best thing that happened to her for a very long time.

It's a shame they cured her, she was a cool supporting member in Hellcat's series, especially when she turned into a cloud of mist with shades.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I unironically think Single Mom Vampire Jubilee was the best use of the character since Claremont-era.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Elfface posted:

It's a shame they cured her, she was a cool supporting member in Hellcat's series, especially when she turned into a cloud of mist with shades.

How dare you mention this and not link a picture

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

How dare you mention this and not link a picture

-snip to later page-

(from Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat! #12)

bonus panel: Patsy has a magic flu later in the series that warps reality

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 25, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:bisonyes:

Rockabilly Vampire Jubilee rules.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm very much okay with this. :3:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Leth's Hellcat was so cute. I know it had its detractors on here when it was current and I had a hard time digesting more than 2-3 issues at a time but I think there was absolutely a space for that kind of low-key twee escapades type of book.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah I don't know, her track record up to that point was, I believe, leading a team featuring the likes of the mighty Beef and then getting all of them killed. I liked her development throughout Gen X for what it was but I feel like any precedent of her being a pedagogical whiz or especially good mutant talent scout was just wishful thinking.

Well, to be fair, at that point she was pretty much the only character who'd actually made an effort to run a mutant school as an actual school, rather than just throwing teenagers into the murder room every other day and saying it was 'training'.

I mean, she wasn't great at it, but at least she was pretending to be an actual teacher.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Prior to Gen X, in New Mutants she was running a rival school for young mutants. They were basically the mutant equivalent of the Cobra Kai, but it was an actual school.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

Prior to Gen X, in New Mutants she was running a rival school for young mutants. They were basically the mutant equivalent of the Cobra Kai, but it was an actual school.
Yeah. Despite all her villainous characteristics, she's always been passionate about teaching and caring about her students. It's usually what writers point to in order to justify her making a face turn.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 26, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Yes, this is what we were talking about, unless against all odds Beef was on two teams.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

And look how that ended. Her team gets wiped out by mutant hunting killbots.
Put down those text books and get back to the paramilitary training nerds.

Man, I'm shitposting and realize that's exactly what Cable did to the New Mutants when he showed up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

Yeah. Despite all her villainous characteristics, she's always been passionate about teaching and caring about her students. It's usually what writers point to in order to justify her making a face turn.

except that one time she blew up Firestar's horse but y'know it comes in fits and spurts

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alaois posted:

except that one time she blew up Firestar's horse but y'know it comes in fits and spurts

Butter Rum had it coming.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
was he a scab

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A few questions.

1) Why did Emma blow up Firestar's horse?
2) How did Emma blow up Firestar's horse, she's a world class psychic, but not an explosives expert.
3) Why did Firestar even have a horse, she can fly while covered in flames, I feel like that cuts down on the desire to ride another animal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
She looked at the horse sadly and said, "Don't you see, the explosion was inside you all along" and boom

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Skwirl posted:

A few questions.

2) How did Emma blow up Firestar's horse, she's a world class psychic, but not an explosives expert.
3) Why did Firestar even have a horse, she can fly while covered in flames, I feel like that cuts down on the desire to ride another animal.

I believe #1 was to show her that her old life was finished?

and #3 was because she was a teenage girl and liked horses.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

A few questions.

1.) to gaslight her into joining the Massachusetts School by convincing her that because she got horny for Cannonball she lost control of her powers
2.) she didn't actually blow up a horse, she set the stable on fire and the horse died but the way its depicted sequentially

3.) being an upper middle class girl in New England is pretty sick

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ahh, Fwoosh, Krackle, Whinney, the first draft of the rice crispies elves.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Skwirl posted:

Ahh, Fwoosh, Krackle, Whinney, the first draft of the rice crispies elves.

Sadly, the focus groups did not care for the Butter Rum flavor.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Who hasn't gotten so horny for Sam they set a building on fire?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Initially I read Horse as House in that conversion and got really confused for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alaois posted:

1.) to gaslight her into joining the Massachusetts School by convincing her that because she got horny for Cannonball she lost control of her powers
2.) she didn't actually blow up a horse, she set the stable on fire and the horse died but the way its depicted sequentially

3.) being an upper middle class girl in New England is pretty sick

On the upside, hot buttered rum is legit pretty good on a cold winters evening.