Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gently caress that might be the best truck yet

Edit- quoting for new page

KakerMix posted:

poo poo yeah we've got 5 (!) that are going to be here in a couple weeks. Rugger, Rasheen, Beat, Alto Works and Pajero Mini. Very good thing we've sold most of our inventory in the last few weeks as we needed the room!

Also, DOCK PICS

MAD DOGZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

24 volt? :confused:

I think that was common for a lot of diesel trucks to provide more power for cranking.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The 2 battery diesels I've seen run them in parallel, so 12 volts but double the amps.

But now that I think about it, I think I remember asking the same question on another Prado he imported. :downs:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

As someone who spent his whole life in the Northeast, I can't get over how...not rusty that is. Like, do vehicles even rust in Japan?

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that was common for a lot of diesel trucks to provide more power for cranking.

a lot of military vehicles, as well.
my iltis had a two battery 24v system and NATO style plugs.
it was a bit of a pain in the rear end, tbh

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

poo poo yeah we've got 5 (!) that are going to be here in a couple weeks. Rugger, Rasheen, Beat, Alto Works and Pajero Mini. Very good thing we've sold most of our inventory in the last few weeks as we needed the room!

Jealous of your room...I am overloaded but hopefully stuff starts moving soon...sold one Skyline recently dailying the auto GTS right now, Celsior and Acty are on eBay. Need it to stop raining for more than 24 hours to detail the Hi Ace camper. Trying to decide what to do with the Lite Ace 4WD van (sell as is or fix the paint/decals?) and I have this insanely low mile Skyline GTS-4 with some rare options but it needs a paint job or sell as is?

My Pajero mini not in this batch, but 4 on one BOL will save me $50 each from Hoegh past the first one.

The 70 looks killer my man.

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 25, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

STR posted:

The 2 battery diesels I've seen run them in parallel, so 12 volts but double the amps.

But now that I think about it, I think I remember asking the same question on another Prado he imported. :downs:

You can see they are connected in series unless one battery is built as a mirror of the other, and 6 ports for 6 cells = 12V each.

No expense spared, only the highest voltages!

beep-beep car is go posted:

As someone who spent his whole life in the Northeast, I can't get over how...not rusty that is. Like, do vehicles even rust in Japan?

Most cars are treated well, especially people that live in the city, because it is expensive to own, operate, and store a car. So, it's a status symbol and shows you have money and you keep that up with regular detailing. Most people can live without a car easily, with the exception of people way out in the sticks. So there isn't a huge population of people that get cars because they need to and don't care for them or can barely afford any maintenance. Except in the boonies, most cars are parked in a carport at the least and most likely in an underground garage. Oh and it doesn't snow in a lot of places so no salt.

Japan has strict inspections which might get rusty cars off the road some plus survivorship bias, no one bothers trying to import the rust bucket justys that probably exist somewhere.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 25, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Once you get out into the more rural areas it is fairly common to see cars just sitting and rusting away

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

After reading back my post I realized I qualified non rural a bunch of times. :shobon: My city's sister city is in tochigi, and quite rural. Plenty of kids with beaters around there. There were even abandoned rust heaps of cars in the woods, mossed over.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

STR posted:

It is a bit confusing because 70 Series encompasses the tapered hood 'true' 70s like this convertible with the front fenders and the early Prados, they themselves being a 70. Real 70s like this soft top will always be 24 volt electrical with two batteries running in series, where as a Prado from the same year will be a 12 volt system with two batteries running in parallel. If Prado, 12v. If normal 70, 24v.

taqueso posted:

Most cars are treated well, especially people that live in the city, because it is expensive to own, operate, and store a car. So, it's a status symbol and shows you have money and you keep that up with regular detailing. Most people can live without a car easily, with the exception of people way out in the sticks. So there isn't a huge population of people that get cars because they need to and don't care for them or can barely afford any maintenance. Except in the boonies, most cars are parked in a carport at the least and most likely in an underground garage. Oh and it doesn't snow in a lot of places so no salt.

Japan has strict inspections which might get rusty cars off the road some plus survivorship bias, no one bothers trying to import the rust bucket justys that probably exist somewhere.

Oh it's extremely easy to import cold rusty garbage from Japan like it would be to bring down a car from the northern states, it's just everdave and I pick and choose so naturally only the coolest and cleanest poo poo gets shown like you suggest. A ton of lovely rear end importers all across the USA will import anything and sell it off to some kid who then finds out he has the rustiest Beat ever. This soft top 70 though was bought off a dealer lot and had spent it's whole life in Kyushu, which makes sense because why would someone buy a convertible to drive around the snow?

BlackMK4 posted:

Once you get out into the more rural areas it is fairly common to see cars just sitting and rusting away

Yeeeep just hop on Instagram and see all the cool (but sad) rusting heaps deep in rural Japan.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't remember if I posted this on SA before, but

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

BlackMK4 posted:

The final stage of a kei van's life cycle is "turned into a rusting shed somewhere in the countryside".

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The final stage of a kei van's life cycle is "turned into a rusting shed somewhere in the countryside".

Say what now? This baby is on the boat tomorrow...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

everdave posted:

Say what now? This baby is on the boat tomorrow...

Aw yeah that’s that street poo poo yo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
God damnit i want one of those snapon screwdriver key things, either that or a dumbass royal crown blank. but nobody seems to sell them

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

beep beep

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Dunno how this hasn't been posted in here yet: https://jalopnik.com/inside-japans-biggest-used-car-auction-1841653551

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

drat I wonder if this will get a bunch of people into the game and raise prices somewhat.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Prices are already up. And will keep going up. This article won’t affect things in a noticeable way. I recognized a few cars from last week ha.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Holy poo poo that towbar on that soft top 70 is janky as gently caress! That just goes to 4 captive bolts in the rear crossmember, it doesnt actually transfer load into the chassis rails at all!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ferremit posted:

Holy poo poo that towbar on that soft top 70 is janky as gently caress! That just goes to 4 captive bolts in the rear crossmember, it doesnt actually transfer load into the chassis rails at all!

I imagine it's just for a bike rack or something, no way you could put an actual load on that without it snapping off.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Believe it or not with all the mad tyte JDM cars I have, today was my first real trip of any distance in one. I have been daily driving one on and off for the past year but now I am full time RHD as I sold my '18 Hyundai to Carvana, not sure if I mentioned that here but I did in the chat thread.

Anyways I took one of my Skylines, just a stock 94 GTS on about a 250 mile round tripper today...and it was fantastic. Plenty of speed, drove great, was comfortable (dare say maybe even more comfy than my '18 Hyundai seats, but these are deep buckets). Heat kept me warm on a cold day, and it kept up with traffic without a problem. I packed my jack and an assortment of tools just because this is AI and to be safe but man, you can definitely daily and live with a good RHD JDM car in the USA without any real downsides. If I find my forever keeper or at least long term I would probably install a head unit with car play (mainly for big screen GPS) and a backup camera but that is about all that I miss.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Is top speed really only 110mph?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Considering the highways are posted at 80 kph much of the time...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
it is until you cut a single wire, gtrs also had a 180kph cluster

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Believe it or not with all the mad tyte JDM cars I have, today was my first real trip of any distance in one. I have been daily driving one on and off for the past year but now I am full time RHD as I sold my '18 Hyundai to Carvana, not sure if I mentioned that here but I did in the chat thread.

Anyways I took one of my Skylines, just a stock 94 GTS on about a 250 mile round tripper today...and it was fantastic. Plenty of speed, drove great, was comfortable (dare say maybe even more comfy than my '18 Hyundai seats, but these are deep buckets). Heat kept me warm on a cold day, and it kept up with traffic without a problem. I packed my jack and an assortment of tools just because this is AI and to be safe but man, you can definitely daily and live with a good RHD JDM car in the USA without any real downsides. If I find my forever keeper or at least long term I would probably install a head unit with car play (mainly for big screen GPS) and a backup camera but that is about all that I miss.

We just spent 6 hours today in our white Land Cruiser, driving up north to Port New Richey, about an hour and a half away, to check out a potential USDM buy, that killer looking blue Geo Tracker. No rust, interior in good shape, decals good, said the seller. Get there and it has a ding on the rear left that was rusting, lots of cigarette burns in the driver's seat crotch area, decals are cracked (as you can see in the pictures) as well as the top that wasn't fit too well, allowing water into the interior. The rear on the top is difficult to snap into the rear door when closed so most people don't even bother, these guys though rigged up some sort of bungee cord situation in order to pull the rear of the top over the back door. Downside is the metal of the cord had been beating a specific spot on the paint chipping away and also rusting. :negative: Goddamn I am so spoiled buying cars half the world away in Japan vs. dealing with your typical person here in the USA.

Since that was a bust so we ended up hitting some thrift stores and getting stuck in traffic because Tampa.
70 series Land Cruisers are so goddamned good at just being a car. A bit over 16 MPG in mostly city driving with the occasional highway jaunt and even then, you can do 75 mph in this thing without issue. Sure the acceleration can be a bit slow but so what, it's a smooth heavy beast that just cruises, even on leaf springs. And that's to say nothing of actually using them for their intended purpose, bombing around road-less. I like Prados better just because they are a bit softer and more comfortable but goddamn, 70s are just the best. I find too that because the visibility is so good in these I don't miss a backup camera at all, though it should be mentioned that I've never had a car with a backup camera so haven't ever gotten used to using one.

Big Taint posted:

harperdc posted:

Considering the highways are posted at 80 kph much of the time...

BlackMK4 posted:

it is until you cut a single wire, gtrs also had a 180kph cluster

The Soarer had its speed chime come on at 110 kph.
DING ding
DING ding
DING ding

You drop the cluster from the top (because it's a digital projection onto the rear glass in the panel) and unscrew the grounding wire from the panel, this shuts the chime the hell up. It's a dedicated speaker deep in the bowels of the thing, do you know how fast you can get to 68 MPH here in the USA in a 7M-GTE Soarer? Too goddamned fast.
Is there a fuel cut or something at that speed? I have had the Soarer and MR2 just past 100 MPH, but not up to 110, so I wouldn't know. I know the AZ-1 (and maybe the Beat and Cappo too) have fuel cutoff at around 80 MPH.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I didn’t attempt 100+ but it can def do over 110 unless there is a fuel cutoff. Cruising right around 140/km/h (86 mph or so) was not breaking a sweat or pushing the car or revs at all, even going up the mountain. Japan has/had weird things where cars could t be advertised having over X HP and maybe the same is for the cluster. But unless like some American cars that have 115 speed limiters the car even this GTS could easily do 110+.

Backup camera is definitely something you get used to and more so for people like me with kids who are dropping off and picking up kids from school and practices where kids are running around everywhere.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

So weird to see cigarette advertising, and branded packs and HOLY poo poo $2.99 A PACK?! Pack of 20’s here is pushing NZ$30 or US$19.

Anyway the 180kmh speed limit is still a thing, agreed to by the automakers to avoid regulation, same as the now dropped 276hp limit. I drive a 2006 Nissan Fuga 450GT which is the JDM Infiniti M45 and it indeed hits a limiter at 180kmh while the Infiniti will do 240. Thankfully they dropped the 100kmh chimes back in the 80’s or early 90’s, although I’m pretty sure I can set single chime warning still if I dig through the Japanese menus.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
loling at someone who somehow just realised you can use a skyline to drive like a normal car, I mean what did you expect it to be like a kei car or something?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I did laugh a little at “kept up with traffic”, of course it did, its a regular car.

Forgot to add on the 180k limit - when the R35 GT-R first came out, JDM versions used the navigation to figure out when the car was on a Japanese race track, at which point it would ignore the limiter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

We just spent 6 hours today in our white Land Cruiser, driving up north to Port New Richey, about an hour and a half away, to check out a potential USDM buy, that killer looking blue Geo Tracker. No rust, interior in good shape, decals good, said the seller. Get there and it has a ding on the rear left that was rusting, lots of cigarette burns in the driver's seat crotch area, decals are cracked (as you can see in the pictures) as well as the top that wasn't fit too well, allowing water into the interior. The rear on the top is difficult to snap into the rear door when closed so most people don't even bother, these guys though rigged up some sort of bungee cord situation in order to pull the rear of the top over the back door. Downside is the metal of the cord had been beating a specific spot on the paint chipping away and also rusting. :negative: Goddamn I am so spoiled buying cars half the world away in Japan vs. dealing with your typical person here in the USA.

Ha, welcome to my world lately. That last IROC I went to look at was a turd and I'm beginning to think that if I want a nice IROC I'd have to spend a good bit more than I really wanted to just to have something that doesn't look and/or drive like poo poo.

So this weekend I'm going to look at a low mileage NB2 Miata in Spring Hill wish me luck :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Old guy came to look at my Acty in a MINT 5-speed tracker with like 30k miles on it, blue with white hard top. I asked if it was for sale or trade but he said no. Was going to send you the info Kaker but he was sure he did not want to let go of it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Old guy came to look at my Acty in a MINT 5-speed tracker with like 30k miles on it, blue with white hard top. I asked if it was for sale or trade but he said no. Was going to send you the info Kaker but he was sure he did not want to let go of it.

Appreciate it! Though we aren't looking for a Tracker it's just that one showed up that hit all the right buttons. If it was between a Jimny and a Tracker the Jimny will win eveytime.

People that love Trackers/Sidekicks REALLY love them and will keep them forever.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Appreciate it! Though we aren't looking for a Tracker it's just that one showed up that hit all the right buttons. If it was between a Jimny and a Tracker the Jimny will win eveytime.

People that love Trackers/Sidekicks REALLY love them and will keep them forever.

I would have probably traded him the Acty if he offered but he didn't and you could tell it was his baby. Cool thing, he has 11 THINK electric cars he won at some auction that are from the Netherlands or something. But I think he is too chubby for the Acty. I am 6'2" and fit fine but I am slim.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had a Sidekick for awhile and while it was fine in town it was a miserable driving experience on the interstate.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had a Sidekick for awhile and while it was fine in town it was a miserable driving experience on the interstate.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

everdave posted:

I would have probably traded him the Acty if he offered but he didn't and you could tell it was his baby. Cool thing, he has 11 THINK electric cars he won at some auction that are from the Netherlands or something. But I think he is too chubby for the Acty. I am 6'2" and fit fine but I am slim.

I'm 6'4 and pushing close to 300. It's tight, but I fit in my 91 acty just fine. The only thing I can't really do is roll down the driver side window with the door closed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah pretty much. I almost died in it driving through the middle of a NASCAR style pile up in Orlando on I4, drove through completely untouched like Cole Trickle parts flying around hitting the car and everything.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Beanzor posted:

I'm 6'4 and pushing close to 300. It's tight, but I fit in my 91 acty just fine. The only thing I can't really do is roll down the driver side window with the door closed.

I don't doubt you but this is an '84 a little tighter quarters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You thought maybe you’d seen it all? I’m just getting started. Just won this Hi Ace camper. Diesel 73k km. Taking things to the next level.

Only registered members can see post attachments!