Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Some things make the sub go nuts. I made mine do a barrel roll by placing and replacing duffle bags and my dude died lol. I'd try getting rid of the bed real quick and also checking the exterior for floaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think the game is also really bad about saving/loading with objects and collision detection. I've had success with the Cyclops and wall lockers and planters, plus fabricators. But my Prawn loses its poo poo when I save/load inside the walker and occasionally has huge clipping issues when trying to walk around in air (I'm looking at you, endgame-spoiling location.). I think the Cyclops is particularly vulnerable because it's so big, you're trying to go through some relatively confined spaces in it, and you sometimes get slammed around by things.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Salt Fish posted:

I think this is the main issue with the old story. You're not stranded at all. You're part of a well funded super-science business venture, you have 2-way rocket travel between the planet and station, constant radio contact with your sister, and they're shuttling you down any supplies you need in real time. The whole premise breaks down because they could just come and get you.

Yeah, I think (hope?) this is the answer too.

I haven't (and won't) played Below Zero because it's still unfinished, but I did read about the above and it honestly turned me right off.
What I liked about Subnautica was the feeling of being stranded and alone and having to make own way with no guidance save a breadcrumb plot. When I read about the above stuff I couldn't fathom why they would go in that direction.

Maybe someone who has actually played it can confirm: is the old story a case of you having an omnipresent 'quest giver' that actively interacts with you and tells you "Hey, we've detected some anomalous readings to the South at about 200 m, can you go check it out?" and who reacts with appropriate awe when you find the underwater alien spaceship or something? Because if it's like that I'm definitely happy they're reworking it.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 25, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
^^^
It was absolutely like that originally.

Turin Turambar posted:

Why would anyone care of who you are in a game like this. You are stranded on an alien planet, you will have zero chances of interacting with other human beings in the game!

That's the problem with below zero. You are constantly interacting with both Altec Corp and your sassy side-kick. Basically the difference between Super Metroid: Zero Mission and Fusion/Other M.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 25, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've yet to have any comical physics bugs, other than the water level being visible indoors alongside the occasional flying indoor fish. My cyclops is a bit of a FPS hog due to the five hundred lockers, but uh...

Salt Fish posted:

Do you have any duffle bags in your sub?

Should I be worried?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oh, I forgot about the indoor fish. My bases are constantly infested with harmless fish.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

^^^
It was absolutely like that originally.

That's the problem with below zero. You are constantly interacting with both Altec Corp and your sassy side-kick. Basically the difference between Super Metroid: Zero Mission and Fusion/Other M.

We already have a Subnautica game about being alone on this world, there is no reason to just copy paste that. I think the story was too short to really judge, but I found it refreshing that the developers were trying to do something different.

Overall I think it’s a shame that the main criticism against Below Zero is that the developers aren’t half-assing the game. They could have made Subnautica 2: Electric Boogaloo, but they are actually putting a lot of effort into making tons of new stuff, and a different kind of story.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Oasx posted:

We already have a Subnautica game about being alone on this world, there is no reason to just copy paste that. I think the story was too short to really judge, but I found it refreshing that the developers were trying to do something different.

Overall I think it’s a shame that the main criticism against Below Zero is that the developers aren’t half-assing the game. They could have made Subnautica 2: Electric Boogaloo, but they are actually putting a lot of effort into making tons of new stuff, and a different kind of story.

I don't really see criticism exactly. I think its more of an honest critique and I'm super into them redoing the story, and I'm also super into them making the tough choice to delay the game for the best quality outcome. It's good!

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's how it goes. drat all the 4channers and their ilk to hell. I've found 7? capsules in all my playthroughs, all but 2 consisting soley of actual poo poo or gasbags and crude messages.

I honestly didn't know the capsules would be shared with other players and thought it was simply a quaint step before leaving, so I just typed "gently caress" and took a screenshot of where I was standing along with one random item. Then when I learned how it works I felt bad. Not terribly so, but a little.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arcturas posted:

Oh, I forgot about the indoor fish. My bases are constantly infested with harmless fish.
Keep some spare live fish in lockers if you ever need to replenish after discovering a biter no-cliipped their way to an all you can eat buffet.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Oasx posted:

I agree. A lot of the criticism against BZ in general is just people upset that they aren’t getting a copy of the original Subnautica but with some new fish.

I’ve played through the story in its current form twice, and I don’t really see the problem. I hope the story rework isn’t about changing the basic premise, but I do hope they stop focusing so much on all the Precursor bullshit in the new version.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Oasx posted:

I don't mind something different if the thing that is different is actually an improvement.

But I already played heaps of games where you have a voice in your ear telling you where to go, what to do, and how to react to it, and I don't think that this works very well in what seems like an open-world exploration game where you're supposed to, well, explore, and discover cool things.
Unless that voice in the ear actually adds something to the experience and atmosphere rather than taking away from it, I'd honestly rather have Subnautica 2: Electric Boogaloo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm trying to imagine a game that did a sassy sidekick well.

Bioware Pre-Throne of Bhaal did alright in that regard. Although admittedly it was mostly your sidekicks sassing each other.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

WarpedNaba posted:

Bioware Pre-Throne of Bhaal did alright in that regard. Although admittedly it was mostly your sidekicks sassing each other.

Portal 2

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm fine with whatever they do unless its super bad and I won't know that until its near release. They should remove all vehicles but keep all the huge monsters. Stealth underwater gameplay.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

WarpedNaba posted:

Maybe you could stretch it to Portal, Portal 2 did it.

Darkest Dungeon with the Elder as a kind of sidekick?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I'm fine with whatever they do unless its super bad and I won't know that until its near release. They should remove all vehicles but keep all the huge monsters. Stealth underwater gameplay.

Subnautica, but with no vehicles except the Seaglide is something I’d (re)play in a heartbeat. :getin:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He was more of a mocking narator.

And PotatOS wasn''t able to do anything besides exposition. It was excellent exposition, but not exactly sidekicky.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

WarpedNaba posted:

He was more of a mocking narator.

And PotatOS wasn''t able to do anything besides exposition. It was excellent exposition, but not exactly sidekicky.

Yeah, if he was commenting on everything you did then I could see the problem. But he is only there when it involves the main story.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

I don't mind something different if the thing that is different is actually an improvement.

But I already played heaps of games where you have a voice in your ear telling you where to go, what to do, and how to react to it, and I don't think that this works very well in what seems like an open-world exploration game where you're supposed to, well, explore, and discover cool things.
Unless that voice in the ear actually adds something to the experience and atmosphere rather than taking away from it, I'd honestly rather have Subnautica 2: Electric Boogaloo.

:same:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oasx posted:

Yeah, if he was commenting on everything you did then I could see the problem. But he is only there when it involves the main story.

Well, he did.

Mostly he did a play-by-play on the horrible things done to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TWVGHtRWAY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

AI: The Somnium Files
Disco Elysium

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Majora's Mask

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I assume we're taking a really broad definition of "sassy".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serephina posted:

I was honestly surprised when I first saw my shadow in Subnautica, the player character had a huge cowlick of hair, which implied more distinct characterization than I had assumed. If your PC starts talking, you have to give them a name and personality - which is fine, Deus Ex et al does it well. But it's also unnecessary complications, the silent faceless protag is *fine*.

You can look at yourself using the camera drones, I think. Though I think it just weird you out to look at the player model in a game where there's no other remotely humanoid creatures visible and you only hear humans as recordings, so you don't have a frame of reference for what turns out to be a somewhat cartoony character model. There is some implicit characterisation of them, even in the way they move and animate in certain scenes, and you eventually find a PDA log written from what turns out to be the player's perspective iirc. (His job is basically a glorified janitor slash toaster repairman, and he's strongly implied to be basically an indentured servant)

WarpedNaba posted:

Twilight Princess's Midna at least seems to be popular, though that's more because the Link is almost a nonentity.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hwurmp posted:

AI: The Somnium Files
Disco Elysium

I can’t think of anyone in Disco Elysium I would call sassy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kim is lowkey sassy as hell

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Espirt de corp was constantly informing me of the sass coded looks and eyebrow movements Kim was sending my way.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, generally if the game has to tell you they're sassy, they aren't.

And that it's also poorly-written.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If an explicit narrator counts as a "side character" then it opens the gates to a few good ones.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Soul Reaver posted:

On the other hand it makes perfect sense to do that for Subnautica.
Subnautica: You're lost, you're alone, and you got some mysteries to solve in this crazy new world so you can get off of it.
Subnautica 2: Electric Boogaloo: You're back, so you're not lost (mostly,) you're not alone (kinda) but there's still a bunch of dang mysteries to solve.

It's a valid extension of the concept.

I'm in the camp that I'd rather games try something new and fail rather than simply remake themselves over and over again.
I don't think that the extended cast or conversations in Below Zero were a failure or detracted from my experience of exploring the aquatic world. Because not only did they bring in more of the human element (a thing you only got so much of in the first game) they also explore and expand on Alterra a bit more, in a way that you can't get from optional logs. I liked the one conversation where you can hear the gal and her manager talk on the other end of the line. It's silly but it's character.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I'm kind of hoping they expand the connection to the Natural Selection universe. Subnautica has you finding a cure for the Carar virus which is the origin of the Kharaa aliens in NS, so why is Alterra back on planet?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tetrabor posted:

I'm kind of hoping they expand the connection to the Natural Selection universe. Subnautica has you finding a cure for the Carar virus which is the origin of the Kharaa aliens in NS, so why is Alterra back on planet?

Maybe they want to Weyland-Yutani it up by sending an expedition to an untouched part of the planet to bring back a sample for their biological wafare division :tinfoil:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BattleMaster posted:

Maybe they want to Weyland-Yutani it up by sending an expedition to an untouched part of the planet to bring back a sample for their biological wafare division :tinfoil:

Alterra is absolutely the kind of corp to do that.

It's basically already the Deebs LP where they're in contact with an incompetent and underqualified customer service rep.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Alterra is absolutely the kind of corp to do that.

It's basically already the Deebs LP where they're in contact with an incompetent and underqualified customer service rep.

In the current version of the game assuming they haven't changed it with the recent update
It's probable they are doing exactly that, due to a sample of the alien plague that was "cured" last game being "lost" after being sent to the station.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, generally if the game has to tell you they're sassy, they aren't.

And that it's also poorly-written.

Nah Kim was someone who was written so that he had his poker face on point from the start, and only small almost unnoticeable tics showed how annoyed he actually was.

Considering how garbage AI pathing usually is, a standard sidekick is pretty rare in most games outside of a disembodied voice in your ear.

Im not ashamed to say that I bought this game purely because of the ancestor narration. That it is also incredibly fun was a nice bonus.

Comrade Koba posted:

Subnautica, but with no vehicles except the Seaglide is something I’d (re)play in a heartbeat. :getin:

Check out a Subnautica Speedrun some time. There is a glitch if you leave a flooded base with the seaglide the game adds your walking and swimming speed together and you are become underwater Sonic.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm okay with a side character, and perhaps even being an employee of a megacorp, if those things don't provide too much exposition.

There's a difference between "hey we're getting a weird signal originating from XYZ, go check it out" and having the player bee-line to that spot, and saying "hey we're getting a weird signal, can you figure it out" and having the player build the infrastructure (powered mini-bases with antennas) to triangulate its origin.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I want Subnautica: Abyss

You thought 1000 meters was really deep, that's cute. Time to go down 20,000 meters! :aaaaa:

No that would be too much fun let's make the Subnautica: arctic sea instead.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 27, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

DropsySufferer posted:

You thought 1000 meters was really deep, that's cute. Time to go down 20,000 meters!

The game starts with you dropping the rocket keys into the ocean. The only hint or direction is "go get em".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DropsySufferer posted:

You thought 1000 meters was really deep, that's cute. Time to go down 20,000 meters! :aaaaa:

No that would be too much fun let's make the Subnautica: arctic sea instead.

If you haven't played it yet you should be looking forward to it. The environments are sooooo sick. Even in early access the game is looking good and the biomes are way cooler than the original.