Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Daikloktos posted:

It's a mark of how great this show is that I love it so much despite the action choreography being weak and the characterization not quite maintaining consistency. But comparing it to The Venture Brothers, that took some time to find its footing and Harley's already off to a stronger start than its first season.

I could totally hear the Monarch and Henchmen 21 going
"I want them to piss myself at the mention of my name, I want a taste of that!"
"You want to taste piss?"

Its amazingly leftist too. I really love this version of Ivy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xander77 posted:

It has a different "root for these terrible people" vibe than the other two.

But they aren't terrible people. They're the bad guys, but they're okay people.

Well, Dr. Psycho is a bad person, but he seems to be working on it.

Daikloktos posted:

and the characterization not quite maintaining consistency

That's not inconsistency as characters, it's growth.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm only in this thread due to Renegade Cut's video. Is it okay if I watch that video first and then watch the show or are the spoilers too big?

I would say the spoilers were too big; almost right from the start he drops a major spoiler from the season finale. But if you're considering watching it, note that the first ep... is not very good. Which I think the showrunners themselves are aware of, as they said they did it that way just to firmly establish that kids shouldn't be watching the show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Argue posted:

I would say the spoilers were too big; almost right from the start he drops a major spoiler from the season finale. But if you're considering watching it, note that the first ep... is not very good. Which I think the showrunners themselves are aware of, as they said they did it that way just to firmly establish that kids shouldn't be watching the show.

It wasn't as bad as people think, it that's my hot take anyway.

loving THE POOR was a pretty good punchline tbh, especially coming from a disguised Joker since he wasn't being disapproving

E: also I love how the show makes it clear Harley is playing up her accent specifically for Joker since the only time she drops back into it is while talking to her mom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Venture Bros comparisons are more in tone and style than quality and characterisation, though there's definitely some similarities there too.

I think it still makes a lot of sense to consider the show is taken place from Harley's point of view of Gotham, and she's got a weird one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Its amazingly leftist too. I really love this version of Ivy as well.

I love their versions of Ivy, Bane and Jim Gordon. Honorable mentions to Clayface and Dr Psycho too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Having just read Curse of the White Knight #7 a few hours ago, I *REALLY* hope it gets animated someday. It'd be amazing. Hamill playing the Joker *and* Jack Napier, Conroy as Batman... :swoon:

We'd even have two Harleys.

Speaking of which, Joker has a new squeeze: https://screenrant.com/joker-punchline-new-girlfriend-sold-out/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mllaneza posted:

Having a weird fetish doesn't make him a bad person.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I love their versions of Ivy, Bane and Jim Gordon. Honorable mentions to Clayface and Dr Psycho too.

I really love in the second Episode Harley points out that Joker is just a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone and he doesn't even have powers. Bane being upset he lost at bar trivia was great.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Venture Bros comparisons are more in tone and style than quality and characterisation, though there's definitely some similarities there too.

I think it still makes a lot of sense to consider the show is taken place from Harley's point of view of Gotham, and she's got a weird one.

Yea, and the stuff about Villains and heroes being organized is also straight out of Venture bros, which is funny because that its the old school Superfriends thing.

Something else i like is that they don't ignore the rest of the DC universe exists. I kind of hope if they have like the Flash or Supergirl or whomever is on the CW they get the actors in to do the voices. They did use the Flash Star Labs logo Oh man, I'm imagining the Legends showing up in this as a legit episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Argue posted:

note that the first ep... is not very good.
Incorrect.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Argue posted:

Let me guess. They have excessive swearing and pointless sex and hookup scenes?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What the gently caress is excessive swearing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They say gently caress way too many times. Like a 13 year old kid trying to be edgy levels of gently caress.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Open Source Idiom posted:

More than 8 fucks per episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was no nudity. There's a few shots that its clearly meant to suggest that something is sheer or such.

and of course Maxi Zues dick, Censored sadly

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjKHPv7b3fQ

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mllaneza posted:

But they aren't terrible people. They're the bad guys, but they're okay people.

I get that the central conceit of the show involves ignoring all the comedic murdering they do, but... yeah, I can't.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Even he shows signs of improvement over the course of the season. He talks back to Harley and Ivy still but it's lost the mean streak. He's gone from insulting them to just disagreeing with their current ideas (for mostly valid reasons.)

He's still an abrasive little bugger but he's getting better without even realizing it. Having two female friends who have earned his respect (and treat him nice when he's not being an rear end in a top hat) has been very good for Dr. Psycho.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I get that the central conceit of the show involves ignoring all the comedic murdering they do, but... yeah, I can't.

King Shark ate a man's head and everyone was basically fine with it. They're bad people.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think Clayface's hands are clean.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Well, unbloodied, at least. He doesn't really do 'clean'.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The first episode is actually funny and very good.

Hypocrisy posted:

This version of Ivy seems to only kill in self defense too.

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, unbloodied, at least. He doesn't really do 'clean'.

:golfclap:

itry fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 27, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

itry posted:

Yeah, I really like that she's not the Ivy that goes around manipulating everyone with her pheromones - and with this version, they seem to be lethal, so that's a good thing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

itry posted:

She melted the head of an ACE Chemicals executive in a tub of his own herbicide ("best Earth Day ever, holla").

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like the self awareness that wanting to protect the enviroment is still considered "evil".

And comedic deaths and killing is also very Venture Bros.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Chokes McGee posted:

loving THE POOR was a pretty good punchline tbh, especially coming from a disguised Joker since he wasn't being disapproving

In the comic miniseries that followed a fraudulent banker's attempt to use the insanity clause to bypass the legal system, and getting sent to Arkham for his troubles, had it that even Joker hated the guy. "Sure, I kill people, but even I don't steal their pensions while I'm at it" Or something along those lines.

I think they screwed with the Head of Arkham's character later, turning him into a super-villain, but there's a funny bit where he suspects things are just too quiet.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LashLightning posted:

In the comic miniseries that followed a fraudulent banker's attempt to use the insanity clause to bypass the legal system, and getting sent to Arkham for his troubles, had it that even Joker hated the guy. "Sure, I kill people, but even I don't steal their pensions while I'm at it" Or something along those lines.

I think they screwed with the Head of Arkham's character later, turning him into a super-villain, but there's a funny bit where he suspects things are just too quiet.

Arkham: Living Hell

It's pretty good.

(said banker ends up being called something Shark, funnily enough, iirc)

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 28, 2020

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

LashLightning posted:

Woody Guthrie sung a song about Pretty Boy Floyd that summed this up:

"Yes, as through this world I've wandered
I've seen lots of funny men;
Some will rob you with a six-gun,
And some with a fountain pen.

And as through your life you travel,
Yes, as through your life you roam,
You won't never see an outlaw
Drive a family from their home."

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Still self-defense :colbert:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, I think she considers her eco-terrorist work to be self-defense.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only two issues I have with it is the long rear end DC log at the start and there doesn't seem to be anything non hetronomative about it.

Though I figure season 2 will make things hella gay.

Btw giving Damien a proper 12 year old boy voice was perfect.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

The only two issues I have with it is the long rear end DC log at the start and there doesn't seem to be anything non hetronomative about it.

The only unfortunate thing is that they got a relatively A-list child actor so his availability and cost might be more limiting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Tremblay

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twistedmentat posted:

ya that ruled, damian's episode was great. Probably best of the season

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xelkelvos posted:

The only unfortunate thing is that they got a relatively A-list child actor so his availability and cost might be more limiting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Tremblay

They save money by having Alan Tudyk play half the cast.

Watching Harley Quinn was a bit of a trip for me since I'm a fan of Star vs. the Forces of Evil and so I keep hearing King River as Clayface and Ludo as the Joker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They save money by having Alan Tudyk play half the cast.

Watching Harley Quinn was a bit of a trip for me since I'm a fan of Star vs. the Forces of Evil and so I keep hearing King River as Clayface and Ludo as the Joker.

Holy poo poo I didn't realise but you're right.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

twistedmentat posted:

They do play up the Batman x Joker stuff a little more, in how obsessed with each other they are.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm just agog at Deidrich Bader becoming such a good voice talent out of nowhere. I still remember him from the Drew Carey Show. He did a great job with Lex Luthor in Red Son.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If you haven't watched Brave and the Bold, you really really should.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Agreed, Brave and the Bold is just dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The Brave and the Bold episode that opens on them watching a stage-show musical of Adam West style Batman is amazing.