Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Personally I find that a head-tracker and a big 4k screen gets me about 80% of the immersion of VR with quadruple the resolution and none of the control problems. I would rather play a flight sim with a gamepad and a head-tracker than the fanciest hardware and a fixed view, but the stereoscopic effect of VR really doesn't blow my mind and the resolution is just abysmal. In 4k on a 50" screen I can read every gauge at a glance without having to zoom in and lose my view of the outside and a head-tracker is quite natural once you get the hang of it.

call me back when there's a VR headset that hits 4k per eye at a non-nauseating framerate and we'll talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

VR is for babies. This is the only acceptable sim setup:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Chad Jihad posted:

Hey I am trying to remember a flight sim, I think it was from the same era as European Air War or maybe earlier, and I honestly never played it but I would always see it in the game store and the boxart captured my imagination, it had like weird pusher planes and zepplins all over but I don't think it was actually a WW1 sim it seemed like alt history. It wasn't Crimson Skies though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

I know VR is cool, but I wish more simmers would admit that it's a poor solution for process-based civilian simming.

Pointing a webcam at a notepad so you can see your own handwriting? Guys just take the loving goggles off, stop being ridiculous. Everything doesn't always work with everything else!

This message brought to you by a Flat-screener.

Some headsets have camera(s) opposite the eyes that allow you to see as if there you didn't have the headset on (but instead suffered from terrible cataracts). I believe some VR software lets you make areas of the VR-scape see-through, so most of the scape is the cockpit but you can glance down and your desk and hands on controls and notebooks will be visible instead. It should be a decent best of both worlds.

In another few years when the resolution of everything is up I'll go for it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Wait people actually willingly wear VR headsets for 6 hours at a time?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Google Butt posted:

I'll definitely spend that long in Elite Dangerous.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
When my DCS still worked, I spent six-eight ours in Odyssey Plus flying on Hoggit several times. At the end of it, you are pretty sweaty and worn from occasional merges, but it’s not some impossible feat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I refuse to believe that DCS ever worked.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Ferret King posted:

I know VR is cool, but I wish more simmers would admit that it's a poor solution for process-based civilian simming.

Pointing a webcam at a notepad so you can see your own handwriting? Guys just take the loving goggles off, stop being ridiculous. Everything doesn't always work with everything else!

i've never had to take my headset off when simming and i don't do any of that poo poo, keyboard works just fine for me. if you can't type blind in 2020, honestly that's on you lmao.

Sagebrush posted:

Personally I find that a head-tracker and a big 4k screen gets me about 80% of the immersion of VR with quadruple the resolution and none of the control problems. I would rather play a flight sim with a gamepad and a head-tracker than the fanciest hardware and a fixed view, but the stereoscopic effect of VR really doesn't blow my mind and the resolution is just abysmal. In 4k on a 50" screen I can read every gauge at a glance without having to zoom in and lose my view of the outside and a head-tracker is quite natural once you get the hang of it.

stereo-3d is just a tiny part of why vr is good. also, not saying head trackers are bad they're very good if you're playing on a monitor, but comparing head trackers with vr is just plain stupid. also what "control problems"?

Google Butt posted:

my vr is wireless now and the battery only lasts 5 hours so that's what i limit my sessions to now. :rip:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Truga posted:

i've never had to take my headset off when simming and i don't do any of that poo poo, keyboard works just fine for me. if you can't type blind in 2020, honestly that's on you lmao.

The blind can still lead very fulfilling lives thanks to the Americans With Disabilities Act.

I'm still not ready to jam hot pokers into my eyes. :colbert:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's beautiful, thank you so much

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

EvilMerlin posted:

Dell oft has them in stock

They don’t now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Yes and it ooooowwwwwwnnnnnnssssss

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The bigger shock to me is that people sit staring at the game in cruise for six hours.

If I’m doing anything over 2 total hours I’ll make sure everything is good and visit it every 15-30mins to make sure nothing exploded.

I do still have random failures on, so there will eventually be a tragedy doing this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In Star Citizen I had my warp drive malfunction while 0.7 light years from the nearest planet. That’s about 30 hours using super cruise instead of warp. I spent the whole 30 hours “on my ship” (ie in my basement) eating food from the matter replicator (ie food my mother brought me) and peeing/pooing in my space suit (ie my pants). But I got that shipment there. And then went to turn it in for the creds and the NPC glitched out and I didn’t get the reward. Still worth it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

bird with big dick posted:

In Star Citizen I had my warp drive malfunction while 0.7 light years from the nearest planet. That’s about 30 hours using super cruise instead of warp. I spent the whole 30 hours “on my ship” (ie in my basement) eating food from the matter replicator (ie food my mother brought me) and peeing/pooing in my space suit (ie my pants). But I got that shipment there. And then went to turn it in for the creds and the NPC glitched out and I didn’t get the reward. Still worth it.

:hmmyes:

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

The Ferret King posted:

I'm in the FS2020 alpha and hardly load it up because flying on a flatscreen sucks so much. I can't go back to non-VR.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Similar with racing simulations. VR or bust.

That said, I agree with the point made earlier. If you're doing IFR flying, VR isn't exactly useful.

Also, FS2020 needs to add a stunt plane already.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, FS2020 needs to add a stunt plane already.

You mean in the tech alpha? There've been stunt planes in trailers, haven't there?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

this is true immersion (in your own waste)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MikeJF posted:

You mean in the tech alpha? There've been stunt planes in trailers, haven't there?
Yeah in the alpha. None of the planes currently available are nimble enough to corkscrew downwards the Burj Al Arab.

Also, they need to take care of autogenerated items trying to take the place of manually placed models. There's autogen wind turbines intersecting with the Eiffel tower, preventing me to fly under the tower. The pyramids in Gizee intersect with autogen housing placed where they are.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Vahakyla posted:

When my DCS still worked, I spent six-eight ours in Odyssey Plus flying on Hoggit several times. At the end of it, you are pretty sweaty and worn from occasional merges, but it’s not some impossible feat.

Fix your hardware dammit!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Tippis posted:

Fix your hardware dammit!

In the interest of not empty quoting I'm confused by the argument that VR isn't for process sims because I feel the opposite. Feeling "there" is what makes spending the time doing cold starts in the F18, or having to fly 30 minutes just to get to the combat part, amazing and fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah and your stomach dropping in turns is worth the price of admission alone.

Can’t get that with an IR emitter on your hat.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I don't know. I made my own "track clip pro" and depending on how well the electrical tape is holding up, I can at least get a tingle.

But simming in VR is amazing and worth it despite the resolution drop. If I had a big enough curved monitor tho, I might be ok with skipping it once in a while.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Only problem with VR and combat sims is it makes spotting planes in games like Il-2 really really hard due to the fact you can't zoom in 100 times. However that just leads to getting jumped more which is fun.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Lol, a star citizen :crobear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a C64 and a legit copy of SubLogic FS2. I fired it up a few months ago.

Some things are definitely better left as a memory of your 10 year old self then as an adult. It was literally 1-2FPS and pretty much unplayable. I guess my imagination did a whole lot of work filling in the other 20 frames. And graphics which could be recognizable for anything.

Legit question: I have a 9900k w/1080ti. Am I fairly safe in assuming that it should be good for MSFS @ 3440x1440 or should I look at a 2080ti and sell my 1080ti while it's still worth a good $$?

Also, has it been announced if MSFS it's going to be a monthly service? I can totally see MS going to the subscription model for this like how they are pushing Office. That sweet, sweet reoccurring monthly revenue is like crack to companies.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Don’t buy a 2080Ti. The 3000 series is coming in June.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
MSFS will be on gamepass, and since it's first-party I don't see it going off of there any time soon.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Best way to do checklists in X-Plane 11?

2D or VR

Ultimately I’d like a solution where I can send a PDF or word doc over and use that.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Captain Apollo posted:

Best way to do checklists in X-Plane 11?

2D or VR

Ultimately I’d like a solution where I can send a PDF or word doc over and use that.

Here you go: AviTab

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/44825-avitab-vr-compatible-tablet-with-pdf-viewer-moving-maps-and-more/

It's a VR tablet that does exactly what you're looking for.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
In 2D? Print it out.

In VR? Memorize it. Avitab is too slow and clunky.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

X-checklist in x-plane works in Vr and is super light and makes a transparent window you can shove wherever.

It has files for most popular payware.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Oh avitab? Yeah sick I’m already loving that.

Slow?? Avitab is super responsive.....

So I guess I just click charts and browse to the PDF

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

slidebite posted:

Legit question: I have a 9900k w/1080ti. Am I fairly safe in assuming that it should be good for MSFS @ 3440x1440 or should I look at a 2080ti and sell my 1080ti while it's still worth a good $$?

I have a 1080 (non-Ti), 8GB VRAM, i7-9600k, 32 GB of RAM and an ultrawide at 3440x1440. I'm in the tech alpha. You'll be fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the insight. :)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Going from 1080 to 2080 is a massive cost for very little actual gain. It is around 15-20 percent performance difference between those two cards. Slightly bit more to 2080Super.

Even when selling, you are looking at spending 500-600 dollars easy. Unless money is no concern, don’t do it. Waiting for the 3000 line seems reasonable now, because going from 1080 to 3080 will be the same 500-600 price jump when selling your old one, but you are looking at 40-50 percent performance increase.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My wheel stand pro is not here because my UPS driver is a moron and I’m pretty sure delivered it to the wrong house. Or maybe just decided to keep it for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Galaxy brain: play flight sims with a race wheel