Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

angerbeet posted:

:thunk: I don't know what you were expecting?

Fair, I guess I was just disappointed how few vegetable centric dishes were in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

captkirk posted:

Got a copy of The Gaijin Cookbook today. Scanning through it it focuses mostly on protein based dishes, sometimes it's protein featuring vegetables but for all the protestations about Western style diet I saw in the book it looks like it's Japanese food to appeal to Western diets. Over all it seems fine if basic kind of bummed but hopeful for the arrival of the Adam Liaw cookbooks I've ordered.
Kansha and Japanese Cooking: Contemporary & Traditional are good cookbooks if you want more vegetable-centric recipes.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
New cookbooks arrived today (I may have a problem with collecting cookbooks), I got:

* The Zen Kitchen by Adam Liaw
* Washoku by Elizabeth Andoh
* Just Enough by Claire Greenwood

So far I've gotten first impressions of
* Washoku -the first half is reference book on common Japanese ingredients and cooking, recipes that take up the later half seem good though, a little lacking in pictures but I appreciate how there some attention paid to balancing a meal, there are some plating recommendations added to the end of recipes which gives the recipes a feeling of being fussy but the ones I've seen so far don't seem that fussy.
* Just Enough - more narrative than recipe. The introduction put me off because it's a little rambly and transitions from starting to describe what it's like in a Zen monastery to a weird section that contrasts Buddhism against the consumer cycle in a pretty reductionist way and then touches briefly on "the best thing Americans can do for the environment is to stop making Americans" and then onto Trump's Sec of Homeland Security being a white supremecist and how she, the author, struggled with her privilege and cultural appropriation while writing this book. There are no photos of food but the recipes seem decent, I'm not sure if I'm giving it a fair shake because everytime I pause to skim some of the narrative I end up rolling my eyes hard.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I made okonomiyaki for dinner tonight and I *might* have messed up the ratio of cabbage and batter. It does come together very quickly and contains like 3 or 4 serving of vegetables so that's nice at least.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 27, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks great to me. I'd devour that with some kimchi.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A nice Negi dish is to braise them in soy, mirin, sake, and a couple drops of sesame oil. Arrange on plate, top with white sesame seeds. Decent enough side dish for a bento or set to meal. Great with rice to dilute and enlarge the flavor i.e. triangle chewing. You can eat the roots. Just go for it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Welp, after a bunch of experimenting with the recipe, I think I finally made my ideal Mabo Don:

Heat 1 TBSP garlic and 1 TBSP ginger (and red pepper flakes to taste) in 1 TBSP sesame oil
Add 1/2 lb ground pork and brown
Add sauce (below) and boil
Add 1 block cubed tofu, let cook a bit, then add a generous handful of chopped green onion
Serve over rice

SAUCE:
2 TBSP Miso
3 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP Sake
1 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP mirin
1/2 TBSP MSG
1/2 cup water
Mix until non-liquids dissolved

So, so good. Just the taste I was going for. Doubling the cornstarch from 1 TBSP is what finally did the trick, when the sauce is thicker instead of being watery it really enhances the flavor.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 30, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I suppose it IS the Japanese cooking thread.

No doubanjiang and no fermented black beans :O

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

totalnewbie posted:

I suppose it IS the Japanese cooking thread.

No doubanjiang and no fermented black beans :O

Or huajiao. But miso is SOME kinda fermented bean!

IIRC the Japanese version mapo is pretty different from how it is in China.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't know if my version is authentic to any cuisine, I pretty much just used one I found online and tweaked the amounts until it tastes great.

On a side note, I actually tried some packaged mabo sauce, and was really disappointed. Completely devoid of flavor. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I bought a box of mapo sauce at a Japanese grocery and it was kind of gross. Tastes really artificial. Weird because the boxed curry is delicious.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It's really white pepper-y, kind of bland. At least the two times I had it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Recs for vegetable side dishes? I’ve been watching videos of people making their weekly 作り置き and a lot of it boils down to batches of simmered or stir-fried vegetables accompanying a smaller batch meat entree. All I’ve managed to absorb so far is carrot kinpira, though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How about just simmering broccoli florets and dressing them with soy, mirin and maybe some toasted sesame seed if you can be arsed? Very nice with basically everything when they've been allowed to come to room temp.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
You can steam (or just roast) some kabocha (or some butternut squash or acorn squash).

There's also ohitashi, blanched greens steeped in dashi.

If nothing else, slice up some lettuce thin, add a couple of halved cherry tomatoes and top with a little ginger dressing.

extra bird parts
Apr 30, 2012

creepy blue bird with an upset expression crashing into a fire truck and causing an explosion in the style of vaporwave aesthetics
I've enjoyed cooking Japanese food for myself (and lurked this thread) for some time, but I would like to solicit help with an interesting challenge. I have a vegetarian friend who has never had Japanese food due to a rice allergy. I would like to make her dinner. I am thinking of using coconut aminos, sherry, and apple cider vinegar as substitutes for soy sauce, mirin and rice vinegar. Fortunately, I do have some homemade barley miso as I cannot think of a good substitute for miso at all. Currently, I am thinking about making a vegetable soup with soba, but there is probably something more interesting than that and I would like to include some side dishes. Any ideas of better substitutions or dishes that would work with these constraints?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Whisks-R-Us posted:

I've enjoyed cooking Japanese food for myself (and lurked this thread) for some time, but I would like to solicit help with an interesting challenge. I have a vegetarian friend who has never had Japanese food due to a rice allergy. I would like to make her dinner. I am thinking of using coconut aminos, sherry, and apple cider vinegar as substitutes for soy sauce, mirin and rice vinegar. Fortunately, I do have some homemade barley miso as I cannot think of a good substitute for miso at all. Currently, I am thinking about making a vegetable soup with soba, but there is probably something more interesting than that and I would like to include some side dishes. Any ideas of better substitutions or dishes that would work with these constraints?

Is there rice flour in soy sauce or something? Vodka is a much better substitute than sherry, too.

E: if you want, like, SUPER clean recipes, perhaps veggies and meat braised simply in dashi and livened up with yuzukosho would be good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Soy sauce usually has wheat in it. Tamari is basically soy sauce without wheat and typically has "gluten free" label on it. Though rice doesn't have gluten either.

extra bird parts
Apr 30, 2012

creepy blue bird with an upset expression crashing into a fire truck and causing an explosion in the style of vaporwave aesthetics

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Is there rice flour in soy sauce or something? Vodka is a much better substitute than sherry, too.

E: if you want, like, SUPER clean recipes, perhaps veggies and meat braised simply in dashi and livened up with yuzukosho would be good?

Yuzukosho sounds like a great idea! Thank you.

Mu Zeta posted:

Soy sauce usually has wheat in it. Tamari is basically soy sauce without wheat and typically has "gluten free" label on it. Though rice doesn't have gluten either.

I admit I am not that familiar with soy sauce production, but I was worried that I couldn't tell the difference between soy sauce that was made with rice koji and one that was not.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Iirc soy sauce doesn't have enough gluten to be a problem for most people, but tamari tastes better IMHO.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whisks-R-Us posted:

I admit I am not that familiar with soy sauce production, but I was worried that I couldn't tell the difference between soy sauce that was made with rice koji and one that was not.

There is no rice used in the production of soy sauce. The koji ferments the soybeans and wheat. Is it a really serious allergy? I wouldn't want to declare for sure the soy sauce has no rice anywhere in its production and her to get hurt, but there should not be any rice involved.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Assuming it's a true IgE-Mediated Type 1 allergy, she might cross react with other grains, this is common in grain allergic patients. Before you go to the effort, ask her if barley has been OK in the past. Yes, it spoils the surprise a little but rice is out there enough as an allergen that it isn't one of those things people latch on to as an identity, like gluten.

extra bird parts
Apr 30, 2012

angerbeet posted:

Assuming it's a true IgE-Mediated Type 1 allergy, she might cross react with other grains, this is common in grain allergic patients. Before you go to the effort, ask her if barley has been OK in the past. Yes, it spoils the surprise a little but rice is out there enough as an allergen that it isn't one of those things people latch on to as an identity, like gluten.

Fortunately, she is not reactive to other grains (and definitely I’m clearing all the food with her beforehand), but I did not know about the cross reactivity. Reading about it, I also learned of the existence of hypoallergenic rice which is pretty cool.

Thanks for your help, y’all.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
So I am making miso ramen and I got fresh shitake mushrooms. How should I prepare the mushrooms? Should I saute them or just slice and throw in soup raw?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Skyarb posted:

So I am making miso ramen and I got fresh shitake mushrooms. How should I prepare the mushrooms? Should I saute them or just slice and throw in soup raw?

I would probably saute them first but I suspect the Japanese cuisine answer would be to just toss them in to soup base before adding miso and cook them a bit that way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried to make some japanese food, got inspired by a one punch man episode of all things. I googled some recipe that sounded good to me and went at it. Had to make some subsitutions like shiitake mushrooms got replaced with champignons and I had no sake or sherry so hell I just used red wine vinegar (?!). I also quickly seared the beef while the recipe said to throw it in raw in thin slices, even deglazed the pan and threw that in the soup. Gotta have that maillard reaction... The original recipe really had a tiny amount of water in it though for a soup. I added 3-4 times more, and also more of the other spices and ingredients, went by taste instead then. The recipe feels like it was meant for one person and I sized it for a family of 4.

The pot was almost filled to the brim when we started. Emptied quickly and even my kids liked it who are picky eaters liked it. SO had two servings and was considering a third but said she was too full. So it sounds like it was a success. I packed some of the leftovers to bring as lunch this morning and my kids said don't take everything, leave some for us.

BTW, are most udon noodles precooked, they don't come in dry form? Haven't found any locally. Are they just really thick spaghetti or is there somehing special about them?

This was the original recipe:
https://www.food.com/recipe/udon-beef-noodle-bowl-167099

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

BTW, are most udon noodles precooked, they don't come in dry form? Haven't found any locally. Are they just really thick spaghetti or is there somehing special about them?

They do indeed come in dried form. Looks like there are various options on Amazon. Personally I prefer the dried because the precooked ones get kind of gummy if they aren't fresh. Remember to wash your dried udon well after cooking to prevent stickiness/gumminess. They aren't really like fat spaghetti because pasta has eggs in it, whereas udon has flour, water, and salt. Lots of salt. They are pretty decent eaten like pasta with tomato sauce and the like, though. (go light on the salt)

Edit: If anybody wants to get really into udon, I recommend this brand: Ishimaru Udon

This is a legit good udon maker and these noodles are half-dried so they don't take as long to cook as fully dried. We used to sell these at my old company, and I think they are probably one of the best udon noodles you can get outside of Japan.

Lol at the shipping price, though.

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 18, 2020

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I get free shipping on those noodles! They cost $91 though.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They must be shipping them box by box from Japan, which is hilarious. My old company just uses Fulfilled by Amazon.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Can anyone recommend a good, affordable small rice cooker? Just for cooking 1-2 cups of rice at a time. Right now I use an Instant Pot and it does okay, but it's bulky and not non-stick, so clean up is a pain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been using this for going on two years now: https://www.target.com/p/oster-duraceramic-6-cup-rice-cooker-black-ckstrc61k-teco/-/A-50972594

Works perfectly if all you're looking for is standard rice. I'm usually doing Japanese rice but long grain Indian rice cooks fine in it too.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, affordable small rice cooker? Just for cooking 1-2 cups of rice at a time. Right now I use an Instant Pot and it does okay, but it's bulky and not non-stick, so clean up is a pain.

I actually use my Instant Pot and something like this but with a solid bottom to make rice a cup at a time. You can also do pot in pot with a decent glass bowl. It's much much easier clean up.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Look Sir Droids posted:

i dunno about affordable, they are at least 100 bucks i think, but a zojirushi rice cooker is amazing and you wont know how you lived without one, and as far as i know they last forever

the upside of spending the money to get one is that you'll eat more rice since its perfect every time and super easy to make, and rice is cheap

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-uncooked-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

hakimashou posted:

i dunno about affordable, they are at least 100 bucks i think, but a zojirushi rice cooker is amazing and you wont know how you lived without one, and as far as i know they last forever

the upside of spending the money to get one is that you'll eat more rice since its perfect every time and super easy to make, and rice is cheap

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-uncooked-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been using this for going on two years now: https://www.target.com/p/oster-duraceramic-6-cup-rice-cooker-black-ckstrc61k-teco/-/A-50972594

Works perfectly if all you're looking for is standard rice. I'm usually doing Japanese rice but long grain Indian rice cooks fine in it too.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I actually use my Instant Pot and something like this but with a solid bottom to make rice a cup at a time. You can also do pot in pot with a decent glass bowl. It's much much easier clean up.

Thanks!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You can use a Japanese cheesecake baking dish to cook rice and other things pot in pot in your instant pot, plus Japanese cheesecake!

Sie thing like this, but fitting for you IP size: cheesecake pan

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 27, 2020

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Is oshinko pickled radish, or something else? I kinda fell in love with the bits of it I get at this one restaurant, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for if I go to my local Japanese market.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Is oshinko pickled radish, or something else? I kinda fell in love with the bits of it I get at this one restaurant, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for if I go to my local Japanese market.

Is it the yellow one? You can find it refrigerated but it might be called Takuan, you can usually get them whole or sliced

I think its a fermented daikon that shrivels up and gets denser

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Is it the yellow one? You can find it refrigerated but it might be called Takuan, you can usually get them whole or sliced

I think its a fermented daikon that shrivels up and gets denser

That looks like it! I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some the next time we go. I wasn't sure what I was looking for the last time. Thank you!

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My roommate gave me free rein to use her miso. She has a habit of keeping poo poo "until they show obvious signs of rot," so I checked the dates on her miso and the sell by/expiration were like, Feb 2015. I know that miso is some kind of fermented bean, but at the same time, five years ago. Is it safe to use?

I already bought some of my own miso (an expensive brand that was on clearance for the shelf space)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have never seen miso go bad. My oldest tub right now has been open for two years and was three years aged in a barrel exposed to the elements before that.