Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grape posted:

That's all well and good, but it turned out the girl in the story was Syrian-Colombian lol.

Don’t forget the part where she grew up in the US and just spent summers in Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Grape posted:

That's all well and good, but it turned out the girl in the story was Syrian-Colombian lol.

I know, but I laughed at the posts that were appalled at the idea of eating rice with your hands and had to share haha. The real challenge is eating pasta with a loving plastic tea spoon because a lot of places understand cutlery but not fork.

zakharov posted:

Let me tell you, doing a semester abroad in South India as a left handed person was a real challenge.

I had to eat with one arm behind my back.

Oh God, yeah. My family never really enforced the "use just your right hand" rule at home because whatever, and it was always funny when a crusty old uncle would get visibly distressed if I accidentally used my left hand tear a roti or something.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lucrece posted:

My brother and his fiancé plan on getting married at a plantation and I refuse to help pay for it

Geez louis. If they want a beautiful wedding at a country farm style setting there are literally hundreds of gorgeous venues for that.

The fact that they're holding their ground is weird as heck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's to antagonise a black person. :ssh:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

This post makes me :smithicide:.

Like how do you even respond to that? That person should feel guilty—very guilty—because at least that means he isn’t a sociopath.

He should and his wife should be seeking mental health treatment, maybe they are; at the end of the day though, I suppose he does himself or his wife no favors by staying.

I think he will find though, that leaving his wife for another woman, will not make things better for him, and won’t make it “okay.”

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

spacetoaster posted:

Geez louis. If they want a beautiful wedding at a country farm style setting there are literally hundreds of gorgeous venues for that.

The fact that they're holding their ground is weird as heck.
Right? Like when I see people trying to defend it (never anyone I'm friendly with, thank goodness) it's always about how beautiful the setting is. Yeah, it's beautifully built on the labor and corpses of abused, enslaved human beings. Keep a couple as historical museums that very clearly lay out the atrocities committed there and raze the rest to the ground to be used for something useful, imo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

It's to antagonise a black person. :ssh:

The secret ingredient, is racism.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How about a compromise? We keep a few plantations as living history museums, and anyone who wants a wedding on one has to live and work as a slave there for a year.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I lived for most of my teen to 20s years on an old plantation in the South and there were still 2-4 slave cabins way off in the woods away from the main house that I used to explore with my dogs. In my lifetime it was re-purposed as a lovely backyard-breeder horse farm and most of the land was pastures or woods but the old structures were still there.

The slave cabins were built sturdy af, out of logs and tin roofs and didn't leak or anything even after so long of being empty. But they were like a square room with a fireplace, then a few slats to walk on to the other square room with a fireplace. It's not hard to stand in one and imagine an entire family trying to live in this space and walking to the main house or the fields every day to do their work. The well was behind the main house. They'd have to carry their water. The beams in the cabins were exposed, did they hang their laundry there? Where were the outhouses? I never found those. I never found any other artifacts...cooking utensils, tools, etc. Just a random railroad spike or some glass bottles with ancient cow meds in them. Or cow bones.

Plantation weddings are seriously hosed up. Do they show the slave cabins? Probably not. You shouldn't be allowed to have a plantation wedding unless you're having it in the loving slave cabins.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm going to have my wedding at a mockup of a Morrowind plantation.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Chomp8645 posted:

Fuckin n'wahs appropriating our plantations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
And yes it will involve a tour of the Khajiit pens.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

empty sea posted:

I lived for most of my teen to 20s years on an old plantation in the South and there were still 2-4 slave cabins way off in the woods away from the main house that I used to explore with my dogs. In my lifetime it was re-purposed as a lovely backyard-breeder horse farm and most of the land was pastures or woods but the old structures were still there.

The slave cabins were built sturdy af, out of logs and tin roofs and didn't leak or anything even after so long of being empty. But they were like a square room with a fireplace, then a few slats to walk on to the other square room with a fireplace. It's not hard to stand in one and imagine an entire family trying to live in this space and walking to the main house or the fields every day to do their work. The well was behind the main house. They'd have to carry their water. The beams in the cabins were exposed, did they hang their laundry there? Where were the outhouses? I never found those. I never found any other artifacts...cooking utensils, tools, etc. Just a random railroad spike or some glass bottles with ancient cow meds in them. Or cow bones.

Plantation weddings are seriously hosed up. Do they show the slave cabins? Probably not. You shouldn't be allowed to have a plantation wedding unless you're having it in the loving slave cabins.

I've visited Mt. Vernon and they still have the slave quarters with all the stuff they would ordinarily have.

This was actually a pretty good setup for slave quarters in this day.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

most plantations are privately owned and don't really function as museums with professional staff (a la mt vernon or monticello). when I was in graduate school one of my classmates did a thesis about plantations in VA that present themselves as historical sites and how they treat (or acknowledge) slavery. unsurprisingly, the vast majority did nothing. visiting jamestown is also a trip because you can see how acknowledgment of slavery has changed over the decades through the age of the exhibits: the earliest exhibits from the 70s talk about 'americans from africa', while later exhibits created in the 90s and 2000s directly confront slavery.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

most plantations are privately owned and don't really function as museums with professional staff (a la mt vernon or monticello). when I was in graduate school one of my classmates did a thesis about plantations in VA that present themselves as historical sites and how they treat (or acknowledge) slavery. unsurprisingly, the vast majority did nothing. visiting jamestown is also a trip because you can see how acknowledgment of slavery has changed over the decades through the age of the exhibits: the earliest exhibits from the 70s talk about 'americans from africa', while later exhibits created in the 90s and 2000s directly confront slavery.

Monticello still engages in tons of apologetics - I went two years ago and it was loving gross how they misrepresented Jefferson’s relationship to the children borne by his enslaved people of his repeated rapes, and they tried really hard to make it seem like enslaved people had the autonomy to spend their time on weekends “earning spending money” by doing hard skilled labor in the smiths

I’m a Virginian and my degrees are in history, no PHD so I’m not a historian or anything but I was astonished at how bad the curation was

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

please knock Mom! posted:

NTA and anyone who needed additional information to come to this conclusion is either a massive pushover or very smooth in the brain. Actions have consequences. Writing your kid out of your will means you're burning a bridge, don't get mad when people you've disowned disown you in turn.

Couldn't disagree more. He's an rear end in a top hat for fixating on this idea of "fairness" being the most important thing when he already admitted he has enough money for several lifetimes. WHY should he get the same as his brothers who actually need the money?

No, gently caress that. He caused this situation by being a huge whiny loving baby about the inheritance. If he had simply understood it in the sense that it was presented to him (it's a compliment, essentially, because they believed correctly that he could take care of himself) everything would've been fine. Instead he threw a tantrum, which I can't support anyone doing especially some rich little gently caress who already has everything he could want yet still demands more.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's a loving kickass origin of your surname and any person who hears that story and still makes fun of your name isn't worth bothering with.

Absolutely. He also missed opportunities to embrace it and make it a cool thing. I have an embarrassing last name that eventually turned into a badge of pride and something people knew my by.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I hate a motherfucker that all about "cutting off toxic people" but always reaches back out to them anyway to stir up trouble.

half (if not more) of the people who say that all the time are actually the toxic ones in the relationship

Rabble posted:

I don’t know what kind of response she was expecting. Telling your husband that you might be bisexual doesn’t really mean anything (aside from supporting your wife and how she feels) unless it’s followed by “and I want to start seeing other people” or something to that effect. Maybe I’m the rear end in a top hat too.

There's also the whole thing where I don't think I've met a woman claiming to be fully heterosexual in like ten years. I'm probably jaded because of that, living in a liberal area people aren't shy about calling themselves bisexual, many who have never even had a sexual encounter with the same gender.

There's a certain element of "okay then, it's not that weird at all to be attracted to some extent to both genders". It's not something that's gonna shake my world and in fact I'd be more surprised if a girlfriend claimed they would never kiss or gently caress a girl because that would be something I haven't seen for a while. Who isn't bi in this day and age, especially among women? I don't think I could name a single one among my peers who would choose to call themselves fully hetero

Not that the statement shouldn't be respected, and the husband was a dick in the way he straight up disregarded it. I just don't really care who you want to gently caress and when someone says they're bi and expect a large reaction it kinda makes me roll my eyes

dick wizard posted:

No it's not. I get told I have pretty eyes all the time and it's all women I work with, wife's friends, friend's wives, etc... Almost certainly none of them are making a pass.

It's different from a man to a woman and especially from a man in a position of power to his woman subordinate. Not to mention, you actually know these people on some level.

dick wizard posted:

Yeah that happens frequently? A lot of times it's like the second third thing people say to me.

I feel like it's a very normal thing to say like, "nice shirt," or "you have a lovely home."
Everyone has pretty eyes.
It's just filler talk.

It's telling that you compared it to other things that have nothing to do with the body as a way of making your point. Is it okay to compliment a woman's lips? How about her titties or rear end? Why don't you tell me where exactly that line is drawn?

Just don't do it, ESPECIALLY with someone you don't know. Complimenting someone's eyes is a well-known come-on, especially when it's man to woman and even more especially when it's someone you don't really know.

hawowanlawow posted:

I mean he could have just looked through the kids pockets

Seriously he makes a big deal about how he won't go through his nephew's pockets like, dude, he's 9 and your nephew. It's okay to "put hands on him" and go through his pockets, he's a child and a family member. That's probably about the first thing I'd do if I thought the kid took my wallet.

Honestly it mostly sounds like the kid was playing a joke and trying to get attention rather than actually trying to steal something. I don't think that guy handled the situation well at all, although he did make sure he won't get sprung babysitting duties so that's something I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Play posted:

There's also the whole thing where I don't think I've met a woman claiming to be fully heterosexual in like ten years. I'm probably jaded because of that, living in a liberal area people aren't shy about calling themselves bisexual, many who have never even had a sexual encounter with the same gender.

There's a certain element of "okay then, it's not that weird at all to be attracted to some extent to both genders". It's not something that's gonna shake my world and in fact I'd be more surprised if a girlfriend claimed they would never kiss or gently caress a girl because that would be something I haven't seen for a while. Who isn't bi in this day and age, especially among women? I don't think I could name a single one among my peers who would choose to call themselves fully hetero

lol what in tarnation!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

lol what in tarnation!

everyone is bi and eating rear end these days, didn't you get the memo?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Play posted:

Couldn't disagree more. He's an rear end in a top hat for fixating on this idea of "fairness" being the most important thing when he already admitted he has enough money for several lifetimes. WHY should he get the same as his brothers who actually need the money?

No, gently caress that. He caused this situation by being a huge whiny loving baby about the inheritance. If he had simply understood it in the sense that it was presented to him (it's a compliment, essentially, because they believed correctly that he could take care of himself) everything would've been fine. Instead he threw a tantrum, which I can't support anyone doing especially some rich little gently caress who already has everything he could want yet still demands more.
If you read further he doesn't even want the money, he wants to be able to have a similar claim to his brothers when it comes to sentimental items. Which is completely fair! Also it sounds like the parents were abusive to him anyway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

He said repeatedly that his issue wasn't that the inheritance was unequal, it was that he was getting literally nothing (not even sentimental items of no real value.) He claims he would have been fine with a token inheritance and the lion's share given to his siblings, although he does sound like a douche so I don't blame you if you take that with a grain of salt.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Play posted:

everyone is bi and eating rear end these days, didn't you get the memo?

I'm just a simple country poster, all the city slickin' bisexual rear end eaters are beyond me!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Really, that bi lady should have known what kind of insensitive tool her husband was so really she only has herself to blame for expecting anything more.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Just shitposting on this dead bi comedy forum, don’t mind me.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

in europe this is very normal

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Around here you see men calling themselves straight even though they’ve never even had a sexual encounter with a woman

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

elise the great posted:

Around here you see men calling themselves straight even though they’ve never even had a sexual encounter with a woman
lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no-one on this forum says they are straight

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no-one on this forum says they are straight

I'm as straight as apple pie

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

elise the great posted:

someone gimme that Facebook image with "I'm in this post and I don't like it"

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Play posted:

elise the great posted:

I just wanted to have these next to each other so I could fully appreciate it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

PetraCore posted:

If you read further he doesn't even want the money, he wants to be able to have a similar claim to his brothers when it comes to sentimental items. Which is completely fair! Also it sounds like the parents were abusive to him anyway.

quote:

It was patently unfair that they were planning to favor my brothers over me. It wasn’t about the money; it was about the treatment and the lack of equal dignity I was being afforded.

seems like it was more about him FEELING slighted then anything else, the sentimental thing wasn't mentioned at all at first and honestly I'm a bit suspicious that's the reason. Parents do sound inconsiderate but denying them money they need because he was denied money he doesn't need isn't equal. Throwing a shitfit about "equal dignity" when the question is financial is silly.

I get where you're coming from though and I'm kind of on the fence. Both sides were childish, selfish and made mistakes. Definitely seemed like OP might have been the family punching bag, despite his success

elise the great posted:

I suppose that's fair, sexual relations or even any relations at all aren't strictly necessary in terms of declaring your sexuality. All I'm saying is that coming out as bisexual has lost some of the weight it used to have when such things were more uncommon. I only say this because probably 75% of my friends say they are bisexual including the vast majority of the women

Play fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chomp8645 posted:

:rip: your wedding party

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Inceltown posted:

:rip: your wedding party

Chomp's wedding guests:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Monticello still engages in tons of apologetics - I went two years ago and it was loving gross how they misrepresented Jefferson’s relationship to the children borne by his enslaved people of his repeated rapes, and they tried really hard to make it seem like enslaved people had the autonomy to spend their time on weekends “earning spending money” by doing hard skilled labor in the smiths

I’m a Virginian and my degrees are in history, no PHD so I’m not a historian or anything but I was astonished at how bad the curation was

It's because of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

They basically waged a massive disinformation campaign and tried to infiltrate groups that were advocating the Sally Field-Jefferson issue. This became almost national news in the late 90s as more people became aware of it and these "heritage proud" white ladies were screaming from the rooftopa trying to deny any black people admission to their organization.

Also they were and likely are still massive, massive financial donors and control the organizations that manage the estates.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

pentyne posted:

They basically waged a massive disinformation campaign and tried to infiltrate groups that were advocating the Sally Field-Jefferson issue. This became almost national news in the late 90s as more people became aware of it and these "heritage proud" white ladies were screaming from the rooftopa trying to deny any black people admission to their organization.

Also they were and likely are still massive, massive financial donors and control the organizations that manage the estates.

Whoa. My aunt is heavily involved with DAR and I'm not at all surprised to hear they are involved in political advocacy or problematic race relations in the slightest.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Foo Diddley posted:

Chomp's wedding guests:

Old and busted: Father walking you down the isle.

New hotness: Cliff racers chasing you down the isle

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pentyne posted:

Yeah, there's an association of Jefferson descendants who have gotten pretty ugly about it over the years, including many of them refusing to acknowledge Hemings children even after the DNA results came in. Hemings descendants aren't allowed to be buried in the official Jefferson descendants cemetery, for inst.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I like to think that this was a pretty accurate take on the DAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-IiI73xoc

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I grew up hardcore deep south in low country SC, a lot of friends in Sons of CV or DAR and it is just as hilariously and hopelessly toxic as you imagine. My AP history teacher was a civil war reenactor, earnestly explaining about how the civil war was fought over states rights and the confederacy had legions of freed blacks fighting for those rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, there's an association of Jefferson descendants who have gotten pretty ugly about it over the years, including many of them refusing to acknowledge Hemings children even after the DNA results came in. Hemings descendants aren't allowed to be buried in the official Jefferson descendants cemetery, for inst.

Not for nothing but I would love to read an AMA from the Hemings group about how that all shook out. There were some extreme responses including when they invited a Hemmings descendant to speak aa panel discussion the Jefferson group just walked out and refused to acknowledged it.

What I'm saying is anyone who preaches and takes pride in their long and storied American Heritage is probably a racist, garbage human.