Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Last Jedi is the one bad Rian Johnson movie, and even then it was better than TFA and ROS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That "MISS ME YET?" billboard but with George Lucas' face instead of George W. Bush's.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

Last Jedi is the one bad Rian Johnson movie, and even then it was better than TFA and ROS.

The Last Jedi is probably his strongest work just from the constraints he was under. Not only did he have to work within the framework of the Star Wars saga (rather than just telling his own story), he also inherited a bunch of stuff from TFA that he was saddled with dealing with (that he then took the blame for-everyone bitches that he made Luke a sad recluse, or set up some Emperor-like figure with no explanation, or made Rey too strong....when ALL of that was Abrams). Plus he had a responsibility to set up stuff for the third film.

Juggling all that while still delivering a powerful and poignant story? Yeah, just in terms of difficulty of the project, TLJ is probably his crowing achievement.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It was pretty ballsy and funny that he tried to make an anti-capitalist anti-war Star War but also predictable that the entire thing got mangled to poo poo in editing/reshoots so you get this weird collection of contradictory mixed messages (sometimes sacrificing yourself is good but sometimes it's bad, you don't need a book to teach you wisdom but it's good to have it on hand anyway, war is mostly bad and dumb but maybe this war is okay, etc)

It's still pretty and has some ambitious stuff and some fun set pieces which put it well above the rest of the sequel trilogy. I hope Knives Out being so well received and RoS being so poorly received means he still gets a crack at his own trilogy, and is able to follow through with his own vision (hopefully without a stupid amount of studio interference) through the entire thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

he still gets a crack at his own trilogy,

Johnson's already confirmed to be doing three more Star Wars films. Directing at least the first, writing/producing all three.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Johnson's already confirmed to be doing three more Star Wars films. Directing at least the first, writing/producing all three.

Excellent news, I thought that was all still in limbo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Excellent news, I thought that was all still in limbo

Nope, officially confirmed back in 2017 :D

https://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And still confirmed a month ago that he’s bashing it out with Disney.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

jivjov posted:

Juggling all that while still delivering a powerful and poignant story?

He didn't though. Last Jedi has some powerful and poignant moments that end up falling flat because of the rest of the movie.

Still the best of the three sequels movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Literally none of TLJ "falls flat". It's far and away the best single film of the entire franchise.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What I like most about The Last Jedi is that it isn't a pastiche of the source material, stylistically speaking. It's using a different, distinctive visual and symbolic language, most noticeable in the shots that have elements moving chaotically in the background.

In hindsight, one thing it has in common with Knives Out is an attention to very fine details and the locations and orientations of objects, which naturally you'd want a whodunit or howdunit to really nail.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TLJ owns and among the many, many shortcomings of RoS is that it decided to play take backsies with plot developments from TLJ.

Okay, that’s it from me on this Star Wars derail.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

jivjov posted:

Literally none of TLJ "falls flat". It's far and away the best single film of the entire franchise.

Lol, no. Both the OT and PT and Rogue One are much better.

Pretty much everything that isn't Rey/Kylo/Luke related falls completely flat. And the final duel between Luke and Kylo is also underwhelming at best. It also keeps going agaisnt it's own messages at multiple points leading to a contradictory ending that just doesn't work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Please take it to the rotating Star Wars forum

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pick posted:

Please take it to the rotating Star Wars forum

It's important you know my star wars opinion, which is that Knives Out rules.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I loved the circle of knives and how no-one gets framed dead centre until Marta right at the end.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The_Doctor posted:

I loved the circle of knives and how no-one gets framed dead centre until Marta right at the end.

Rikki Lindhome's character had a couple of ominous shots in the fan of knives during the reading of the will that made me think she'd have a bigger part in the mystery, but nope, she was just criminally underused.

Or do you mean during questioning?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mcbexx posted:

Rikki Lindhome's character had a couple of ominous shots in the fan of knives during the reading of the will that made me think she'd have a bigger part in the mystery, but nope, she was just criminally underused.

Or do you mean during questioning?

There was a dropped subplot dealing with her character (Donna) and Walt that gets brought up in the commentary and some of it survived in the deleted scenes; I'll drop it behind spoiler tags below, in case anyone wants to not know it:

Walt's foot/leg injury is revealed to have been inflicted by some mafia type figure shaking him down for owed money. Blanc gets a cop to dress up like a stereotypical gangster and loiter on Donna's front doorstep to convince her to talk about this to Blanc and the investigators. It's the same cop that's taking Ransom out in handcuffs at the end, which is why he gives her a nod and she reacts a bit

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Just saw this, it was ok. Not enough time spent with the horrible family characters, and the reveal of what happened in the study was way too early. But it looked good and had some fun moments.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Brothers Bloom is his weakest imo, and looper is pretty uneven. Agree that TLJ is the best of the worst star wars, and that blame is on the studio.

Gimmicky as it is, I think Brick is still his best

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Knives Out and Jo Jo Rabbit were two films last year that really annoyed me based solely on their marketing, so I went in with a chip on my shoulder. Despite that, Knives Out really was a lot of fun. I think I'd rank Johnson's films:

Looper
Knives Out

Brick
The Last Jedi

The Brothers Bloom

Even the worst of them is still watchable. I'm definitely into the idea of recurring mystery franchise, and it feels like something that won't totally destroy Daniel Craig's spirit.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
My favourite RJ movie will probably always be Brick, but I love TLJ and all the rest as well. You can't help but love the guy when you see him behind the scenes and giving his interviews, he's just so delighted to be in the business and achieving his dreams.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They did an amazing job with all of Harlan's technology. I watched this last night with my folks and my dad went nuts over the McIntosh CD player in the scene where Blanc tried to speak with Harlan's mom.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did an amazing job with all of Harlan's technology. I watched this last night with my folks and my dad went nuts over the McIntosh CD player in the scene where Blanc tried to speak with Harlan's mom.

His thinkpad running WinXP was great too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

With respect to her shoes how does blood get on it

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
When Harlen slits his throat his blood splatters across the room, and a drop reaches her shoe

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Blood Boils posted:

Just saw this, it was ok. Not enough time spent with the horrible family characters, and the reveal of what happened in the study was way too early. But it looked good and had some fun moments.

Learning what happened in the study early is the entire point, though, because it changes the movie (at least at first) from a whodunnit into watching Marta try to navigate what's going on.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sure, I just think it would have been better to watch the nurse trying to get away with it when we think she still might be the killer. She's kinda the least interesting/entertaining character compared to the rest, especially once her innocence is confirmed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You found no engagement with the idea of her deciding to fall on the sword after having made (what she thinks) is an innocent mistake? She really could hve just taken the inheritance and peaced out, but she's a better person than that

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That thing about apple not letting you show villains using an iphone is pretty interesting and i'm surprised he was able to disclose it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, but it's who Apple considers a villain. I'm certain that everyone else in the family had iPhones and they were all monsters.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

jivjov posted:

You found no engagement with the idea of her deciding to fall on the sword after having made (what she thinks) is an innocent mistake? She really could hve just taken the inheritance and peaced out, but she's a better person than that

Not really, I wanted more from the horrible family. Riki Lindhome was particularly underutilized

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think she had a couple of scenes that were cut for pacing unfortunately.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blood Boils posted:

Not really, I wanted more from the horrible family. Riki Lindhome was particularly underutilized

Yeah, her subplot sadly got axed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Innocent mistake like mixing up medicine and injecting the dude with what seems to be a lethal dose of morphine and then struggling to cover it up? I thought her motivation was understandable but the huge fuckup detracted somewhat from it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Innocent mistake like mixing up medicine and injecting the dude with what seems to be a lethal dose of morphine and then struggling to cover it up? I thought her motivation was understandable but the huge fuckup detracted somewhat from it.

She very much didn't want to cover it up and did it because Harlan told her to as a dying wish.

E: and while it doesn't absolve her of her mistake, it's worth pointing out that had she injected him with morphine, she was very prepared to give him naloxone as well. Except that it had been stolen.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 3, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She felt guilty about it the whole time and confessed within like 24 hours or whatever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

She was also intentionally sabotaged in multiple ways and STILL gave him the correct medicine and medical advice lol

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
She's sabotaged AND she's forced into the position by Harlan. If he had listened to her he would've been fine. Though I am a little sympathetic to him on second viewing. He clearly does care about her (it also helps that Plummer and Armas have good chemistry between them) and he does seem to sincerely believe he's doing the right thing to help her and her family.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

If people found out she killed Harlan even as an accident her entire family would be deported and/or imprisoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Jet posted:

If people found out she killed Harlan even as an accident her entire family would be deported and/or imprisoned.

Specifically her mom. Given that Jacob calls her an "anchor baby" I think the implication is that Marta and her sister have birthright citizenship.