Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

The secret of Doctor Who is that it's always been terrible, but occasionally it's fun terrible instead of poo poo terrible

It's always had strengths and weaknesses, I'd agree on that. But it's consistently been more imaginative than most sci-fi out there, while also pretty successfully delivery genuinely emotional stories and moments. So it's a unique mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I've recently been getting into the Ultra franchise, and if you like classic sci-fi TV like original Star Trek or Doctor Who but good, you really should give the original Ultraman a try

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I like the old Doctor Who because it's really cheap looking and campy as gently caress. Just look at this loving thing:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

CPL593H posted:

I like the old Doctor Who because it's really cheap looking and campy as gently caress. Just look at this loving thing:

Check out Jirass

Literally a Godzilla costume they had laying around that they stuck a frill on

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite bad BBC costume is zaphod from the hitchhikers show but it's my favorite show 3ver so it has a excuse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If Doctor Who had the camera work and fight choreography of even mid level tokusatsu it would be 100% better.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I read this as Tonkatsu every time and I refuse to change that :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

If Doctor Who had the camera work and fight choreography of even mid level tokusatsu it would be 100% better.

Or even if the Doctor just introduced themself like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NGW3iVpih0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ogmius815 posted:

The Matrix really suffers on rewatch. It does not hold up that well two decades out I’m afraid.

The Matrix is exactly as good as it was when I saw it in theaters, which is "fine".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CPL593H posted:

The Doctor doesn't kill, except for all those times he did and when several of those were genocides.

The most British show, yes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Empress Brosephine posted:

My favorite bad BBC costume is zaphod from the hitchhikers show but it's my favorite show 3ver so it has a excuse

That's bad, but it's no bubble wrap monster.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

It's hard to top the guy in an early third doctor story who gets killed by a chair:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

duz posted:

That's bad, but it's no bubble wrap monster.

I skimmed the old ones on Netflix one and the monster of the week was apparently just film damage

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's hard to top the guy in an early third doctor story who gets killed by a chair:

drat look at the brutality

can’t believe the beeb allowed this!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like to imagine that Third Doctor stories took place in Scarfolk.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Flying Zamboni posted:

I can’t believe I even have to say this,

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

The Matrix is exactly as good as it was when I saw it in theaters, which is "fine".

You know how it's said that young people don't watch movies from before they were born? I've shown The Matrix to my students, age 17-18, and they loving loved it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Flying Zamboni posted:

Splice this with Frank emerging from the couch

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grendels Dad posted:

You know how it's said that young people don't watch movies from before they were born? I've shown The Matrix to my students, age 17-18, and they loving loved it.

Yeah I'm well aware I'm an outlier on this. I thought the movie was fun enough, then didn't really think about it at all after seeing it, and then 6 months later it had apparently spawned a cultural revolution.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

I wanted to like the new Lost in Space series, but I just can't. There's the boy-and-his-dog aspect, and the family sitcom aspect, and the interesting stuff happens around the margins of that.

I actually found it really surprising that the robot is just a character, and doesn’t overwhelm the show. Making him a mute extension of whoever ‘syncs’ him was a great move. He doesn’t really know much.

The Terminator 2 / ET references are upended by a rare emphasis on just how dangerous this thing is - like maybe it’s not good to give some kid partial control over some plasma canons?

The sitcom-y stuff is also contextualized by the crushing meaningless of the universe around them. So you might get some kind of petty argument to provide characterization, but then these things almost invariably go nowhere - not because the narrative is dropped, but because it’s ultimately revealed to be unimportant.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Lost in Space is also structurally kind of a nostalgic throwback to LOST, or at least the one-season LOST ripoffs that aired right after it got big. I thought it was odd that I found that quaint, but then I realized it's been 16 years since LOST premiered.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Catching up on my backlog, what should I watch tonight

The Fountain followed by Dark City. Two of my favorite movies

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
is the thing from The Outsider supposed to be related to Pennywise in some way?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

is the thing from The Outsider supposed to be related to Pennywise in some way?

I've never read the book but in the show it just seems like it's "a pennywise"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Young people sound like boring losers.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Who says that? The youth love Shrek.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Ytotd, Roger Corman's movie that made him stick to Poe and schlock because he got his rear end physically kicked by the KKK when he screened it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgMuDQzm2I

Shatner's first movie, too

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pospysyl posted:

Who says that? The youth love Shrek.

I've seen more than one high school kid wearing a Space Jam t-shirt.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

I've never read the book but in the show it just seems like it's "a pennywise"

ya ive never read the dark tower but I’m aware thru osmosis that pennywise has siblings/offspring

i figure a monster that feeds on grief has gotta be closely related to one that feeds on fear

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The one that pops up in the Dark Tower is an evil standup comedian that eats laughter. The last three Dark Tower books are certainly something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I've seen more than one high school kid wearing a Space Jam t-shirt.

You never told us you've been to a house party at R Kelly's place.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I didn't know there was a King's canonical family of feelings monsters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm watching Parasite

It's good

Ok I'm going to keep watching it now

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I found the copy of It I read when I was like twelve

It has my dad's cigarette burns and everything

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gripweed posted:

Or even if the Doctor just introduced themself like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NGW3iVpih0

Why do that when you can enter like this

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/1086933679690207232?s=20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I get why people don't like the modern show, but how can you hate this goofy rear end poo poo?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Peccadillo posted:

John Carpenter is your dad?!

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

I found the copy of It I read when I was like twelve

ah dude this is my favorite version of the cover!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PenguinKnight posted:

drat look at the brutality

can’t believe the beeb allowed this!

They actually did get in trouble for this story because it was all regular things coming to life and attacking people and this scared the poo poo out of the kids, more than some monster on an alien planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Skwirl posted:

Wow, my decision to never watch Doctor Who is looking pretty good.

I mean, in the Sunmakers the plot is literally a worker's revolution overthrowing an exploitative capitalist, colonialist upper class. Good stuff for kids to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9emqnRpYoU