Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I saw that the FF8 remaster was coming and got excited bc I really liked that one but then I remembered they just improved the resolution on all the foreground objects but left background objects looking like poo poo so somehow it looks worse than it did originally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I want to play the yakuza games, is it ok to start with the gamepass ones and not miss out?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

0 is the best starting point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I want to play the yakuza games, is it ok to start with the gamepass ones and not miss out?

0 is the best start. Do be aware of 2 things

1) You must manually save in Yakuza, which you do at the phone booths on the map marked S. There is no autosaving
2) Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are coming to gamepass. They are remakes of PS2 games so they will feel like a huge step down from Yakuza 0 even if they were remade more recently and updated to better reflect 0

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Can I skip those or they are still worth playing? Should I play them first?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure if it's something on my end but once things got a bit more open world, performance got really asstacular for Yakuza 0 on my XB1X, tons of hitching. I think it doesn't like being run from an external hard drive, seems to be better since moving it to my internal drive.

bushisms.txt posted:

Can I skip those or they are still worth playing? Should I play them first?

They are still worth playing, and 0 is still the best place to start.

0 is "chronologically" the first game (takes place in the 1980s), but it was a prequel made after Yakuza 1-5 were made.
1, a.k.a. Kiwami, takes place mainly in 2005 and each subsequent game offsets that a few years, usually the current year for whenever the original version of the game was released in Japan. It was originally a PS2 game and also the first go in the series so it's definitely lighter on content, although they fleshed some stuff out in the Kiwami remake to better tie it to Yakuza 0. Most people see it currently as a denouement to Yakuza 0 more than as its own game.
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is also a redone version of a game that was originally on PS2, and is also on a newer engine than the other games (except 6).

For storyline purposes you're best off playing the games in numerical order (0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). That said, due to some weirdness in terms of when games were released and remade (if they were remade at all) that can be a bit rough gameplay-wise, especially going from Kiwami 2 to Yakuza 3. In terms of how good the game's content and engine is from jankiest to most polished the order is something like 3, 4, 5, Kiwami, 0, 6, Kiwami 2.

If you're only going to play one game in the series ever it might as well be 0, as it's an excellent game on its own and has a lot of content, while the two newer games on the newer engine (Kiwami 2 and 6) are ironically a little lighter on content, plus you're not throwing yourself in the middle of a saga you're expected to have followed from the beginning.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im in chapter 2? Where you have full access to Kabukicho and Ive had no slowdown so I think its your external.

The only reason I mentioned Kiwami 1 and 2 is lots of people got hooked on 0 and then played Kiwami 1 and 2 to get more story only to wonder why "newer" games had less stuff and way stiffer combat.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

1) You must manually save in Yakuza, which you do at the phone booths on the map marked S. There is no autosaving
If they're using the PC versions for the Xbox ones like I think they are, Kiwami 1 may have auto save because we added that in.

Even if it doesn't, from Kiwami onwards the games have had save anywhere so you don't need to use the phone booths.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

2) Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are coming to gamepass. They are remakes of PS2 games so they will feel like a huge step down from Yakuza 0 even if they were remade more recently and updated to better reflect 0

This is wrong, they definitely don't feel like a huge step back at all.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I completely missed anything to do with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice when it was first released, but installed it last week after seeing the trailer for the sequel and seeing it on Game Pass.

If anyone hasn't played this game, you need to. It's an amazing experience, and the graphics are unbelievable. I think this every few years about a game but it almost feels like we've reached peak graphics.

The game is really disturbing in parts too. All this from a pretty small team of developers.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did not liked Hellblade. It does things I dont like in games, like spawning enemies from thin air. Or puzzles that lack usability.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i got forza 3 horizon when i bought my xbox one s 2 years or so ago and i finally played it the other day.

it's kinda fun?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

hambeet posted:

i got forza 3 horizon when i bought my xbox one s 2 years or so ago and i finally played it the other day.

it's kinda fun?

I went from 2 to 4, so I didn't get a chance to play 3, but I hear it has some awesome DLC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tei posted:

I did not liked Hellblade. It does things I dont like in games, like spawning enemies from thin air. Or puzzles that lack usability.

Yeah. I'd have been perfectly fine if it had been a nice TPW but instead it had some real bad combat and puzzles I was supposed to do and I quit real early on.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

BisterdDave posted:

I went from 2 to 4, so I didn't get a chance to play 3, but I hear it has some awesome DLC.

IMO the DLC for 4 blew 3 out of the water. And the base game was much better. It's been a nice progression, but if you go back to 3 you'll be unimpressed.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Fly Ricky posted:

IMO the DLC for 4 blew 3 out of the water. And the base game was much better. It's been a nice progression, but if you go back to 3 you'll be unimpressed.

Hmmm, does 4's DLC (or expansion pass) ever go on sale?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

BisterdDave posted:

The $50 ultimate DLC bundle that gives you all the expansions and cars was half off during the holiday sales last year. The individual DLC has been on sale before too, but not as recently.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yo, I kind of got pressganged into troubleshooting my sister’s xbone.

I don’t know how the gently caress she did it, but she doesn’t have a default profile set for the console any more. Whenever we try logging in (either with her info or mine), from either the dashboard or inside any games, the login freezes up after I submit the password.

Already tried hard resetting the console, and nada. Any suggestions?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Yo, I kind of got pressganged into troubleshooting my sister’s xbone.

I don’t know how the gently caress she did it, but she doesn’t have a default profile set for the console any more. Whenever we try logging in (either with her info or mine), from either the dashboard or inside any games, the login freezes up after I submit the password.

Already tried hard resetting the console, and nada. Any suggestions?

Format it? Saves and screenshots should be auto-uploaded so you just have to redownload the games.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

univbee posted:

Format it? Saves and screenshots should be auto-uploaded so you just have to redownload the games.

Yeah, this wound up doing the trick. Thanks!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

BisterdDave posted:

I got Fortune Island and LEGO (the important ones) for $10 each. They're on sale quite often and seemingly permanently if you have Game Pass.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Fly Ricky posted:

I got Fortune Island and LEGO (the important ones) for $10 each. They're on sale quite often and seemingly permanently if you have Game Pass.

Looks like Fortune Island is currently $18 with the GP discount. Guess I can wait and see if it drops any more soon.

Started playing Split/Second the other day for the first time, pretty fun game. Trying to place 1st on the dodging rockets level was challenging though, and it was only the first one!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is free with GWG. I hear that's the good one?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

BisterdDave posted:

Looks like Fortune Island is currently $18 with the GP discount. Guess I can wait and see if it drops any more soon.

It'll drop back down soon enough. I've seen them 50% off multiple times since I bought them on sale.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BisterdDave posted:

The first one is severely underappreciated imo because it starts real slow

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Hahahahaa no. No, no no no. This is the one where the guy who personally beat up satan has to do insta fail stealth minigame that ends with the person who was one hit killing you if you screwed up revealing they knew where you were the whole time you were stealthing. If you like Belmonts it also features the most embarassing one in Casltevania history and I'm including the useless villagers in Order of Ecclessia. They seem to have been included solely so the devs could poo poo on them from great heights

The First Lords of Shadow is a slow start and has a terrible attempt at Shadow of the Colossus for a few boss fights and the story is so badly ended that the DLC for the game is basically the devs realizing there was a much more sensible and satisfying ending they should have gone with and retconning towards that as hard as they can with some bad combat design decisions. The sequel is somehow tremendously worse.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 29, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LoS is the first linear game i ever got hopelessly lost in cause the camera hides the exits from a bunch of rooms

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Started playing Split/Second the other day for the first time, pretty fun game. Trying to place 1st on the dodging rockets level was challenging though, and it was only the first one!

This is the true burnout revenge sequel. You made me rush to see if it was on sale, it wasn't but I'm really tempted to buy it finally, since i only played the multiplayer demo for literally hundreds of hours. Download the demo instead, wonder if it'll work on xbone.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

bushisms.txt posted:

This is the true burnout revenge sequel. You made me rush to see if it was on sale, it wasn't but I'm really tempted to buy it finally, since i only played the multiplayer demo for literally hundreds of hours. Download the demo instead, wonder if it'll work on xbone.

I picked it up physically awhile ago when I was shopping around for 360 BC games, and I'm just now getting around to playing it. Definitely a great Burnout-style game, but as I mentioned earlier, seems a bit more challenging than other racing games. Maybe it's just my old rear end losing reaction speed though :corsair:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Not too many 360 BC games out there these days. rear end creed odyssey went for the sexier 430's

Maybe the gallic invasion of rome will get a game one day but dont hold your breath

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Lords of Shadow 2 is all right and I had a decent time with it back when it came out on PC. The stealth sections are pointless but straight forward for the most part except for one or two but and the rest of the game is an ok God of War/Batman Arkham hybrid. Like the first it's carried through by the art design, music and Castlevania's own brand of grimdark mixed with camp.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I picked it up physically awhile ago when I was shopping around for 360 BC games, and I'm just now getting around to playing it. Definitely a great Burnout-style game, but as I mentioned earlier, seems a bit more challenging than other racing games. Maybe it's just my old rear end losing reaction speed though :corsair:

The secret is that the game has a weird almost backwards version of catch-up speed. The longer you are in last place the more potential speed you can get past the regular limit. If you never mess up your speed, don't hit anything, you will keep that speed even while in first. This results in 'pro' players waiting until the first lap is 2/3rds over before starting.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

bushisms.txt posted:

The secret is that the game has a weird almost backwards version of catch-up speed. The longer you are in last place the more potential speed you can get past the regular limit. If you never mess up your speed, don't hit anything, you will keep that speed even while in first. This results in 'pro' players waiting until the first lap is 2/3rds over before starting.

This is why I have such a love/hate relationship with racing games. They're so drat fun, but they cheat like a motherfucker!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

That might be the dumbest racing mechanic Ive ever heard

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Barudak posted:

That might be the dumbest racing mechanic Ive ever heard

This Mario Kart levels of stupidity. But worse, because Mario Kart is still fun despite the banding.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The PC version of Split/Second supports the Geometry 3D mode and camera manipulation in VorpX, so if you mess around a bit making a full 180 immersive screen with the proper FoV, the resulting VR experience is loving crazy.

quote:

In early 2011, the company faced lay-offs and was forced to abandon sequels for Pure and Split/Second. Despite good reviews for both games, Disney turned down both sequels to focus on freemium content.
:sigh:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Devil May Cry 5 gets really good once you get to the Dante chapters which is like ten levels in for some dumbass reason. The other guys are fun but Dante is just loving batshit in terms of options in combat. Good rear end game. Shoutout to gamepass.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pure was really fun, it definitely filled the void during the absence of SSX and the sheer verticality to some of those drops was amazing fun at the time. Sucks that a sequel got canned :(

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Ahh Pure was good. Glad I've got that on my shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pure was fantastic.

San Francisco rush should get a re release.