Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

sigher posted:

So now that the Vive DAS' prices are back down, I ordered one, which adapter kit does everyone swear by? Or does it just not matter and just order anything off of Etsy?

I like this one a bunch: https://www.etsy.com/listing/704470746/frankenquest-das-adapter-made-for-oculus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks! Just ordered one in Orange, hell yeah.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My VR covers arrived for CV1 and Rift S, so my review is gonna be pretty crap, cos they just do what they are meant to do with no fuss, easy to pop on, feel great and also they both came with a little cloth to clean the lenses which is a nice touch.
I'll report back if there are any issues washing them or something but so far so good, would recommend.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I really need to get a decent pleather cover for my Quest, the stock fabric one is getting pretty gross.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Road to VR has an interesting breakdown on HTC and its business strategy with the Cosmos.

The short version; :wtc:.

Also how the hell are ALL the Cosmos faceplates $200USD on their own? Most of them are two cameras and plastic! Either there's some dodgy math there, or over half the price of the Cosmos is in its dodgy tracking cameras alone.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thank The Christ

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Road to VR has an interesting breakdown on HTC and its business strategy with the Cosmos.

The short version; :wtc:.

Also how the hell are ALL the Cosmos faceplates $200USD on their own? Most of them are two cameras and plastic! Either there's some dodgy math there, or over half the price of the Cosmos is in its dodgy tracking cameras alone.

Have you seen how much money people spend on skins that do nothing in games?! They're just cashing in on that sweet DLC money.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introdu...-entertainment/

That looks pretty cool.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Survival Horror Game

please stop, why can't games be nice

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
VR is a really powerful medium for making the player feel like they're transported to a new place, or even new realities. It's so powerful, it can even highjack your subconscious into believing you're truly somewhere else, even though you "know" you're just in your living room. The possibilities are endless. Let's make everyone feel like poo poo.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lemming posted:

VR is a really powerful medium for making the player feel like they're transported to a new place, or even new realities. It's so powerful, it can even highjack your subconscious into believing you're truly somewhere else, even though you "know" you're just in your living room. The possibilities are endless. Let's make everyone feel like poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemming posted:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Just don't buy the game, Five Nights VR was a bridge too far for me but I'm down to clown with spooky scary poo poo in VR. There are moooore than enough colourful, bright, and spritely VR games!

And if we don't have devs pushing and pulling at the normal flatscreen genre conventions to figure out what works best with the medium so they aren't just mindlessly translating flatscreen game mechanics we'll be better off

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sigher posted:

So now that the Vive DAS' prices are back down, I ordered one, which adapter kit does everyone swear by? Or does it just not matter and just order anything off of Etsy?

$2 worth of Velcro and 3 zip-ties. That linked kit does look pretty nice however.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Penpal posted:

Just don't buy the game, Five Nights VR was a bridge too far for me but I'm down to clown with spooky scary poo poo in VR. There are moooore than enough colourful, bright, and spritely VR games!

And if we don't have devs pushing and pulling at the normal flatscreen genre conventions to figure out what works best with the medium so they aren't just mindlessly translating flatscreen game mechanics we'll be better off

A great example is Saints and Sinners. It does some interesting VR stuff and it seems like a legitimately good game that I would like to play, except I never will because the atmosphere makes it not fun at all to actually play

I find that frustrating so I'm complaining about it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Spoopy vr is great cause it makes me scream and possibly knock something over irl, which in turn freaks out anyone else in the house.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I stopped playing Alien Isolation because VR making you feel like you're really 'there' is great until 'there' is crouched under a desk making GBS threads your pants

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

peter gabriel posted:

crouched under a desk making GBS threads your pants

Tuesday afternoon once a week is enough for me, thanks!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a hell of a thing when the alien guts you from behind in 2D, in VR that must be......quite something :gonk:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This looks dope as all gently caress.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a hell of a thing when the alien guts you from behind in 2D, in VR that must be......quite something :gonk:

I wonder if there's been much implementation of disorienting/"glitchy" stuff as a failure state in these games. I know the wonkiness with my display/tracking when my underpowered computer is struggling on load screens is more disorienting than anything I've seen in a games themselves so far.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
VR Megathread: Let's make everyone feel like poo poo

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It is.....an experience....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I have a Quest, a VR ready computer and the correct kind of USB cable to connect the two. What software do I need to download to actually get going?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

So I have a Quest, a VR ready computer and the correct kind of USB cable to connect the two. What software do I need to download to actually get going?

The Oculus desktop app. https://www.oculus.com/setup/

You'll also want to get SteamVR for other games. https://store.steampowered.com/app/250820/SteamVR/

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Lemming posted:

A great example is Saints and Sinners. It does some interesting VR stuff and it seems like a legitimately good game that I would like to play, except I never will because the atmosphere makes it not fun at all to actually play

I'm there with you tbh. We just need more drat GAMES.

There is one poster here who likes Stormlands a bunch. I've been waffling on it forever because I'm not sure how it would translate to the vive wands. Anyone have any experience? The only Oculus game I've played with ReVive was Vader Immortal EP. 1

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Penpal posted:

There is one poster here who likes Stormlands a bunch. I've been waffling on it forever because I'm not sure how it would translate to the vive wands. Anyone have any experience? The only Oculus game I've played with ReVive was Vader Immortal EP. 1

Here's a review by PC Gamer that I think says a lot about whether you'd like it or not.

https://www.pcgamer.com/stormland-review/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Penpal posted:

Stormland is the best action game on VR, hands down. It's a complete game game full of smart VR-specific designs and it's fun as hell.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I haven't played too much across the spectrum of VR, but when an alien got unexpectedly in my face during a long session of from other suns and I was fumbling with my inventory, I ripped my headset off. It was pretty cool actually.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

poo poo man this is me too though. I'm sure it's a fine game but survival horror, again!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We got a zombie game last month, a survival horror is coming, then we just need a crafting game and the trifecta of played out video game tropes will be complete

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I figured out why I can't make Elite click for me.

I can't sit and smoke weed(or anything else for that matter) during the long rear end hauls through empty space, and I refuse to believe anyone making those trips would do it without a snack or a drink with them. Sitting long enough to go exploring with a headset on is painfully boring when I'm not checking out an awesome quasar or some poo poo(95% of my time in elite)

I wanna have cool spaceship stuff with my hotas and headset tho, thats half of why I got into VR. Is house of the dying sun good with a hotas?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
IIRC House of the Dying Sun is more an xbox controller type of deal, I could be mistaken though if it got an update since I messed with it. (I should mess with it again, I never finished it.)

Everspace might be an option? I don't think I tried binding that to HOTAS in the brief amount of time I spent with it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you have the Oculus Rift S, you can turn on pass-through, then you just double tap the oculus button take your bong hit / drink / snack, and then turn pass through back off. If you have VR Toolkit you can even set up a little youtube / netflix / podcast or whatever on your screen.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Boba Pearl posted:

If you have the Oculus Rift S, you can turn on pass-through, then you just double tap the oculus button take your bong hit / drink / snack, and then turn pass through back off. If you have VR Toolkit you can even set up a little youtube / netflix / podcast or whatever on your screen.

I'm on a Quest, which doesn't have passthrough at will. I have to move out of the guardian area to kick my cameras on

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The Steam version of Poker Stars over link is so much better than the Quest version of the app. Even the card faces are clearer and having lip animation when people speak is pretty cool. Performance is way better as well, seems like the Quest version of the app has been getting slower and slower as they update it.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I'm not a fan of horror games either cause I'm a weenie, but if it brings in more attention from the general publlic there'll be more money/developers/games! The quest got a nice boost during Christmas, HL Alyx is coming, and I hope we're at a point where VR is reaching critical mass.

Gonna have to checkout Stormlands if it does actual good/cool things with the VR medium instead of trying to VRify flatscreen stuff.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

yergacheffe posted:

I'm not a fan of horror games either cause I'm a weenie, but if it brings in more attention from the general publlic there'll be more money/developers/games! The quest got a nice boost during Christmas, HL Alyx is coming, and I hope we're at a point where VR is reaching critical mass.

Gonna have to checkout Stormlands if it does actual good/cool things with the VR medium instead of trying to VRify flatscreen stuff.

It's genuinely good. There's a lot of focus on the movement mechanics, and they do a great job of grounding the interactions in the world - the biggest miss there I think is the HUD, but by and large you interact with menus and stuff in the world, when you go to consoles you press buttons, etc.

Combat is really dynamic, you do a lot of climbing, flying, hovering, etc, and that's all controlled by movements of your arms. The only artificial locomotion is running along the ground, using stick loco, but you do that less and less as you get better at the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

The Steam version of Poker Stars over link is so much better than the Quest version of the app. Even the card faces are clearer and having lip animation when people speak is pretty cool. Performance is way better as well, seems like the Quest version of the app has been getting slower and slower as they update it.

The lip syncing is weirdly accurate too. I figured it would just be generic lip flapping but they’re matching specific lip motions to sounds. Your avatar also smiles if it detects you laughing.

It’s awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Looking to grab a rift a tonight. Should be good with a 1060 6gb, 16gb ram and a i7 4770k eh?