Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Superterranean posted:

I don't want every use of MP to come with 5 minutes of delicious chin pondering puzzling. I want to blow things up.

Ranged weapons and evocations are right there. Trunk has even added an evocable that is a grenade in all but name.

E: also earth magic is still largely just about blowing poo poo up. Iron shot and Lees Rapid Deconstruction are unchanged.

E2: Stabbers also don't fit what you said at all. It's basically the class for people who WANT to do a bit of chin pondering puzzling.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

FR: Replace Ashenzari's curse nonsense with the ability to god gift equipment the Fragile tag, god otherwise works more or less the same but with Fragile instead of cursed.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

That’s a cool idea.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that's really cool. Makes it more of a real choice to lock yourself into the item then.

I was thinking the other day that I wish that the artefact egos showed up on more stuff generally because they're more interesting - although maybe that's due to their relative scarcity?

You could still keep artefacts special by allowing them to have more properties to them while non-artefact weapons are limited to 1, so you might find a curare whip that isn't Snakebite, but only an artefact has the capacity to be {curare, rPois, venom}. Can non-artefact armour have multiple egos? I thought they could but thinking about it I'm not sure I've ever picked up like a scale mail of {rF+ rC+}.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Amethyst posted:

You can blind and hibernate from range, though. Plus they've buffed leda's liquification. It's not like they've just ripped stuff out thoughtlessly.

I don't agree with you at all that all spells are equally interesting to cast. A bolt spell requires zero thought. An AOE or touch spell requires consideration and leads to more interesting tactical situations.
How many other games do you know where "it is simple, good and it works" is actually considered a negative thing and a reason to remove an ability from the game? Because I kinda can't believe that this argument actually keeps coming back up.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Cardiovorax posted:

How many other games do you know where "it is simple, good and it works" is actually considered a negative thing and a reason to remove an ability from the game? Because I kinda can't believe that this argument actually keeps coming back up.

Amethyst has Tavern poisoning, and does not want to play the same game you and I do. That's OK, they're allowed to be wrong.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

The word you are looking for is overpowered, and it’s a very common thing to remove. Thanks for this elementary discussion on game design.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Superterranean posted:

Amethyst has Tavern poisoning, and does not want to play the same game you and I do. That's OK, they're allowed to be wrong.

I’d post on the tavern if registration weren’t broken

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, see

Actually, forget it. If that was enough to make you be a petty rear end about it already, I don't think I want to to talk with you any further. Do everyone a favour and shut up before you get worse.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

No, see

Actually, forget it. If that was enough to make you be a petty rear end about it already, I don't think I want to to talk with you any further. Do everyone a favour and shut up before you get worse.

I have no idea what you are talking about, gamer. Enjoy your fork, I also like gooncrawl and respect the devs different ideas.

E: to clarify why I was a bit facetious, it’s kind of annoying to have a detailed, specific discussion around additions to the game, in perfectly good faith, only for you to come along and talk as if you heard it all before. You have not. Confuse removal is brand new and is more complex than your assertion about it just being “simple and good, leave it.” It’s doubly annoying for some other goon to call me a member of the other tribe and that I have brain poisoning. Let me talk about loving spell lists in this nerd thread, assholes.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 28, 2020

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Einwand posted:

The exp I could spend to get ozocubu's armor usable in leather armor or robes could instead be spent on making my weapon of choice functional and just put on any random ring or scale armor I find at the cost of a little bit of EV/spell penalty.

You can cast Ozo's the second you memorize it and it's not hard to get back up when some bhole orc mage takes it down with a flame tongue. This has literally never been an issue for me and I've won a couple reavers. The need to train so many spell skills was basically behind the spell revamp but perhaps there's still too many schools and too much dependency on spellpower/cast rate. I'll noodle on it.

Amethyst posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about, gamer. Enjoy your fork, I also like gooncrawl and respect the devs different ideas.

I appreciate that, but I also feel like discussion and debate quickly become poisonous unless at least an attempt is made to conduct them from a level of mutual respect.

I'm going to take a break from development and this place at least until Heithinn Grasida is back and active again. I've been real sick, it's a trial just to do any work at all, almost a week with no response to my effort post about Jiyva where I need some help and feedback. But people have plenty of room in their schedule to engage in Tavern-level condescension and reduction. Maybe I'm just terribly thin-skinned but this is not a Chill Thread right now and it's injurious to my spirit.

Surprise T Rex posted:

I was thinking the other day that I wish that the artefact egos showed up on more stuff generally because they're more interesting - although maybe that's due to their relative scarcity?

On the other hand, I really like your ideas and attitude and the excellent work you did on your pull requests without any hand-holding. This game needs you. Sorry I'm not more active ATM. If you think I can help with anything, please reach out to me in PMs or on discord.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 28, 2020

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Araganzar posted:

I'm going to take a break from development and this place at least until Heithinn Grasida is back and active again. I've been real sick, it's a trial just to do any work at all, almost a week with no response to my effort post about Jiyva where I need some help and feedback. But people have plenty of room in their schedule to engage in Tavern-level condescension and reduction. Maybe I'm just terribly thin-skinned but this is not a Chill Thread right now and it's injurious to my spirit.

Sorry Araganzar. I'll do my penance by running some Jiyva stuff on goondev, let's see how this goes.

e: vvv http://crawl.eatthepurple.com:8080/#play-dcss-goondev is what you want

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 28, 2020

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I haven't played in months but I'll give slime changes a go this/next week. Is it on the webtiles one or do I need to download a version?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Araganzar posted:

At least for me, the lack of input on the Jivya stuff is just that I don't know wtf I'm doing in this game at the best of times and have never used Jivya so wasn't really sure what to add. However, thinking about it...

I agree with the general swing of the Jivya changes and more muts == more fun, but it does look like that dump was a bit insane. Maybe Jivya never takes mutations away instead? Go back to the old mutation rate, but only add. Once you reach some maximum they could just be swapped out so you never actually *lose* any mutations in terms of overall number, they just change a lot.

Slightly more off-the-wall suggestion:
Jivya should grant mutations with the focus being more on "ramp up a particular mutation to max level, chill for a while then ramp down as another mutation line amps up"? Like Jivya decides you're getting claws, so over time you ramp up to Claws 3, then slowly ramp back down as the mutations 'transfer' to another line (so Claws3 -> Claws2 & Horns1 -> Claws1 & Horns2 -> Horns3).

That feels more 'shifting form' to me, like claws slowly emerging from a chaotic slime mass, then slowly receding as horns protrude. I feel like having a maximum number of mutation 'branches' at once would be a good idea here though, maybe 3-4? I also don't know off the top of my head if there are enough multi-tiered mutations to make this cool?

Could possibly combine this with a small number of non-tiered mutations that come and go too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Amethyst posted:

I don’t see how the confuse thing fits with this. Spamming confuse is tedious.
You really don't see how having to cast a specific set of spells in a specific order to have a chance of doing what you want, every time you fight some popcorn, is more tedious than just casting the one spell and being done with it?

Crawl's too long of a game to make every single fight require the level of setup and tactics you'd use for a unique/endvault/etc(at least while still being fun, which I'd hope is a design goal we all share), and that's basically what you're suggesting.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Slightly more off-the-wall suggestion:
Jivya should grant mutations with the focus being more on "ramp up a particular mutation to max level, chill for a while then ramp down as another mutation line amps up"? Like Jivya decides you're getting claws, so over time you ramp up to Claws 3, then slowly ramp back down as the mutations 'transfer' to another line (so Claws3 -> Claws2 & Horns1 -> Claws1 & Horns2 -> Horns3).

That feels more 'shifting form' to me, like claws slowly emerging from a chaotic slime mass, then slowly receding as horns protrude. I feel like having a maximum number of mutation 'branches' at once would be a good idea here though, maybe 3-4? I also don't know off the top of my head if there are enough multi-tiered mutations to make this cool?

Could possibly combine this with a small number of non-tiered mutations that come and go too.
I'd be down with this. One of my big annoyances with the current system is that you're unlikely to ever get to even level 2 of a mutation, and extremely unlikely to get to level 3.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like old Jiyva would have been fine if any time you gained a mut, it would instantly become the max level of said mut. That way, while you constantly gained and lost said muts, at least they'd be interesting and powerful.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Haifisch posted:

You really don't see how having to cast a specific set of spells in a specific order to have a chance of doing what you want, every time you fight some popcorn, is more tedious than just casting the one spell and being done with it?

Crawl's too long of a game to make every single fight require the level of setup and tactics you'd use for a unique/endvault/etc(at least while still being fun, which I'd hope is a design goal we all share), and that's basically what you're suggesting.

I'd be down with this. One of my big annoyances with the current system is that you're unlikely to ever get to even level 2 of a mutation, and extremely unlikely to get to level 3.

Those tactics are for a hard fight. Not popcorn. Dazzling flash is silent and one cast of it should deal with popcorn.

Confuse didn’t just make easy fights convenient. It potentially interesting encounters samey.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like old Jiyva would have been fine if any time you gained a mut, it would instantly become the max level of said mut. That way, while you constantly gained and lost said muts, at least they'd be interesting and powerful.

this feels both easier to implement and way more fun than other suggestions and I am completely on board with it

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Superterranean posted:

this feels both easier to implement and way more fun than other suggestions and I am completely on board with it

I haven't taken a look at the old or new Jiyva code, but never assume something that sounds easy is actually easy in Crawlcode.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Ultra Carp

Cardiovorax posted:

it's what makes dcss unique

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Ultra Carp

Haifisch posted:

How about this: you can place a "hold" on mutations you don't want to lose. If a Jivya mutation action would make you lose a mutation with a hold, you get a prompt. You can pay a piety cost to keep it. If you don't pay, the mutation action happens as normal. The piety cost increases each time you pay it, so eventually you'll have to mutate.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't know if the ui is set up to allow you to select a specific mutation.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't know if the ui is set up to allow you to select a specific mutation.

it probably isn't, scrap the hold system and just do the "whenever jiyva tries to remove a mutation, tell the player which one it's removing and give them the option to pay piety to keep it"

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'm getting a reproducible crash in my current Gooncrawl dev webtiles game on Eat the purple: if I quiver atropa-dipped darts and try to throw them at Joseph, the game immediately crashes when I press "f". My current save has the situation set up, with Joseph just to the west.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
That... Sounds like my fault. I'll have a poke around later.

E: Are there crash logs anywhere?

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 3, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Ultra Carp

cock hero flux posted:

it probably isn't, scrap the hold system and just do the "whenever jiyva tries to remove a mutation, tell the player which one it's removing and give them the option to pay piety to keep it"

*obama voice* if you like your mutation, you can keep it

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'm getting a reproducible crash in my current Gooncrawl dev webtiles game on Eat the purple: if I quiver Atropa-dipped darts and try to throw them at Joseph, the game immediately crashes when I press "f". My current save has the situation set up, with Joseph just to the west.

Floodkiller has helpfully pointed me at the crash logs. The calculation for working out the likelihood of affecting a monster with FRENZY/BLINDING (Datura/Atropa) had a check to see if you're wielding a blowgun.

Going to remove the offending check and push to goondev later today.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

After several late-game failures, I finally got my first gooncrawl win! (third total) :toot:
DD with the Pledge of Peer Pressure. which helped a lot more than it hurt. Got teleportitis twice, but had enough mut pots to chug both times to get rid of it.
The run went so well that I decided to try for the Abyss rune instead of V:5. And holy RNG, that only took 350 turns. Then I read up on Pan and dove that for the first time, too. That went mostly okay with a few close calls from chained torments (and Mnoleg's posse of neqoxecs) so I ended the run after getting those five.
Third ever win and first time dipping my toe in extended. Mostly played via ssh which helped with prioritizing demons I'd never seen before. Going to try a spellcaster primary next.
pre:
6780477 Febz the Axe Maniac (level 27, 267/297 (298) HPs)
             Began as a Deep Dwarf Archaeologist on Feb 21, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Makhleb.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 8 runes on Mar 5, 2020!

The game lasted 09:05:11 (71987 turns).

You have taken the pledge of Peer Pressure.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Hello! Instead of working today I played a GrSA on goondev and nabbed my 2nd DCSS win ever and my first 15 runer.

Here's my morgue.

My note's on Jiyva: very fun and good. Maxing out on beneficial mutations means little bad mutations allowing for easier time in extended stuff where mutations can really mess you up (or so I've heard).

I like being able to immediately dive through Slime and try to grab goodies from the end vault before the slimes hoover them up.

A strange thing kept happening throughout my game where Jiyva kept putting my strength into dexterity and I couldn't figure out why. I was only ever training things like fighting and armor and shields and weapon skills, so if Jiyva tries to help out according to what you're training... It didn't really work like that for me.

Had a handful of close calls/lucky breaks. My character kind of ended up feeling like the Ultimate Life Force from Haifisch's LP so I got careless occasionally. Nearly died in Vaults:5 and again in Dis to a very painful Crystal Spear from the big Dispater himself. Antaeus nearly got me, too after I mistakenly prioritized him over his swarm of Ice Fiends and whatnot. Smooth sailing after that.

Most of the Jiyva stuff kind of goes under the radar. Stat shuffle is mostly forgettable unless something weird happens. The slime mutations were great and helped a lot. On the off chance I got a very bad mutation (like slow scrolls) I could just use Jiyva's cure bad mut ability without much fear.

Jiyva makes ascension a lot more fun because I get to say hi to all the slimes from earlier on the way up.

I don't really know enough about the game to weigh in on what should change, but I hope this stuff is useful for Araganzar, whose patience and guidance led me to my very first ever Crawl win a little while ago. Hope you're doing okay!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

apophenium posted:

A strange thing kept happening throughout my game where Jiyva kept putting my strength into dexterity and I couldn't figure out why. I was only ever training things like fighting and armor and shields and weapon skills, so if Jiyva tries to help out according to what you're training... It didn't really work like that for me.
Jiyva shuffles stats based on your armor, iirc. Surprised it was going str over dex in plate armor, though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I guess I was wearing steam dragon scales for a long time... But even after I found the plate I wasn't getting much strength love.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

For some reason I decided to try and win a 15 rune game in under 40k turns. I killed a lot of FDCjs playing very recklessly, but I finally made it! Battlesphere is incredibly good in the early game as a permanent buff along with Magic Dart and Force Lance, and they served me well all the way to the endgame.

pre:
43528198 greatzebu the Annihilator (level 27, 207/207 HPs)
             Began as a Faerie Dragon Conjurer on Mar 5, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Mar 6, 2020!

The game lasted 08:02:04 (33580 turns).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Jiyva just really, really, really, really, really loves Dex. I don't know why, but my vague recollection is that every Jiyva character I've had favored Dex over the other stats, sometimes to the point of crippling spellcasters and heavy armor users.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Is something wrong with EatThePurple? Clicking on any of the games doesn't do anything...

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Is something wrong with EatThePurple? Clicking on any of the games doesn't do anything...

I can ping about it on the Gooncrawl Discord, but Araganzar's house got hit by a tornado a few days ago so I'm not sure when it will jump up in priority to take a look at.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh Jesus. Is he okay?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh Jesus. Is he okay?

Yeah he's fine. The back of his house ate a tree though.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
drat, that sucks. Glad he's okay, and I hope his house is covered by insurance.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Any idea how to delete a save? I last had a save running in Gooncrawl a few moons ago, and Webtiles/SSH crashes when I try to load it up. I'm OK just starting over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Beamed posted:

Any idea how to delete a save? I last had a save running in Gooncrawl a few moons ago, and Webtiles/SSH crashes when I try to load it up. I'm OK just starting over

Contact the admin of the server to have them wipe it.