Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

poverty goat posted:

tyrrany was a good game

i should go back and finish this, i really liked it

i had no idea how annoying i found the standard pigfarmer nobody RPG characters tend to be at the beginning of their games until i played tyranny and everyone starts off terrified of you and your (bureaucratic and literal) power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

poverty goat posted:

todd howard is actually really good at his job, it just happens that his job is not to make a good videogame but a self-promoting flashy trainwreck that everyone will be well sick of in time to buy the next one

This is true for the most part, the only exception being that he seems to want to release a new version of Skyrim every two years for the rest of time

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sheen Sheen posted:

This is true for the most part, the only exception being that he seems to want to release a new version of Skyrim every two years for the rest of time

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

The Sega Master System was the best console ever made and Alex Kidd should have been a bigger success than he was

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

large_gourd posted:

are there are posts in this thread where the unpopular opinion is that something is actually good

I enjoyed most of my playthrough of Bioshock Infinite, it's not amazing but I had some fun with it.

I really liked the vehicle physics in GTA 4, it actually feels like your vehicle has momentum.

Harvest Moon DS is objectively the best Harvest Moon game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ruffian Price posted:

The Outer Worlds is an action role-playing game developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Private Division. The game was released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows on October 25, 2019, with a Nintendo Switch version to be released at a later time. It is the second game in the Outer series.

When they decided to transition directly from "indie exploration game" to "first person shooty space RPG" I THOUGHT it seemed a bit too bold as far as the direction for the series. I tried to warn them but NOOOO

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion, but I though Star Control: Origins was pretty great, although the resource grinding got kind of repetitive.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion, but I though Star Control: Origins was pretty great, although the resource grinding got kind of repetitive.

I enjoyed it. Will probably get the extra content once it's complete too.

No idea if the game is unpopular, because most negativity about it is "the studio owner sucks". Maybe he does, or doesn't. Tbh, don't care. Game good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I call it a win for the players, since we got Origins which was good, and we're gonna get Ghosts of the Precursors, which should also be good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed New Vegas, but Ulysses was just Avellone jacking himself off nonstop.

Old World Blues was the only good DLC

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Icochet posted:

It's embarrassing but we sort of did gamergate again. We don't want to talk about it.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I won't spend any time reading years of posts.

Was WoW Classic covered? I bet a lot of people were mad about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

I enjoyed New Vegas, but Ulysses was just Avellone jacking himself off nonstop.

Old World Blues was the only good DLC

I liked 3/4ths of the New Vegas DLC (the Sierra Madre can gently caress off, got so lost there) but OWB is the best for having angry robo Dr Venture.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

Dark Souls 2 is not only good, but the BEST souls game.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

dads_work_files posted:

The Sega Master System was the best console ever made and Alex Kidd should have been a bigger success than he was

This is a good one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dads_work_files posted:

Dass skiing VHSs I don't think you think that :colbert:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Are video games good or are they bad

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Hurry up I have to get to get to the podium for my Ted talk

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor posted:

Video games are a land of contrasts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Floodixor posted:

Japanese computer video games are all bad. So are United Statesian and British ones. The majority? Some good, some bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor posted:

Hurry up I have to get to get to the podium for my Ted talk

Oh a Ted talk? What are you new at this?

Listen just make some poo poo up, but say it real authoritative like and act like you're the first person to ever think of it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Floodixor posted:

Concentrate and Ask Again, according to my magic 8 ball

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

serious norman posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I won't spend any time reading years of posts.

Was WoW Classic covered? I bet a lot of people were mad about it.

It's been p ok tbh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We, as a people, need more first person dungeon crawler RPGs and I will not rest until I convince a business with a beloved IP to make one using it.

Im thinking NBA2k

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked 3/4ths of the New Vegas DLC (the Sierra Madre can gently caress off, got so lost there) but OWB is the best for having angry robo Dr Venture.

I feel like it’s hard to come up with an “unpopular” opinion on New Vegas DLC because there’s no real consensus on them—half of the people who played them like Dead Money the best because of the story, while the other half hated it because it was an unfun slog. And I think even most people who liked Lonesome Road thought Ulysses was annoying as hell.

My “unpopular” opinions regarding NV DLC are that the humor in OWB didn’t really land all that well—it was often eyeroll-worthy at best and cringeworthy at worst (Muggy rules tho). The enemies were all frustrating bullet sponges too. Also, Honest Hearts is the best DLC of them all—it may not have the highest highs of some of the other ones, but it doesn’t really have any lows, it had an engaging story, and it has fun weapons and equipment. The survivalist journals were great too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

OWB had a great soundtrack & i can't believe bethesda keeps using butcher pete and rocket 69.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppecsdH1Fg

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Existence 2.0 was the best fallout soundtrack.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dads_work_files posted:

Agreed

Zillion was an insanely hard game but it also let you commit suicide

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
OWB felt really empty and tedious, the soundtrack was good but the insane robot brain npcs weren’t as funny or engaging to me as they apparently were to a lot of people

big_brother
Sep 27, 2015

Idk how niche this is but Tarkov needs a pure solo experience. I'm only saying this cuz I'm bad and just want to loot wastelands and murder dumb ai in fun and interesting ways.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I liked planetary annihilation on release and the only reason I didnt get super into it was because no one else did :(

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The worst part of owb was the dog gun and all the useless .357 ammo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the default .357 cyberdog gun with mods actually gets better DPS than the 44 mag upgrade. (of course, there's two cyberdog guns, so you can keep one of each around to compare)

Airflamer
Jan 21, 2012

wow that story was super amazingly awesome, im not even joking right now

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Dark Souls 2 is not only good, but the BEST souls game.

I almost couldn't play 3 because they took out powerstance

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Dark Souls 3 sucks :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Dark Souls 3 sucks :colbert:

Its fascinatingly unpolished/unfinished in ways you wouldnt expect for the 5th attempt at the formula and one that theoretically had plenty of budget and time allocated to it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its fascinatingly unpolished/unfinished in ways you wouldnt expect for the 5th attempt at the formula and one that theoretically had plenty of budget and time allocated to it.

could you expand on this? because i've gotten p far in it a couple times (i'll beat it this time, i swear!) but it's all seemed pretty cool so far. is it something about the online? i don't interact with that much at all

i guess the fact that durability exists and is a total nonissue could be chalked up to being unpolished/unfinished but i am not going to complain because durability in that game would loving suck

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is my memory of it at launch: poise didnt do anything, weapon balance was completely busted in a "the starting weapon is the best weapon" kind if way, tying into both of the previous stunlocking was 90% of the game, there are quite a few things like the butterflies that happen with no explanation probably tied into a scrapped time system, there is some extremely clumsy gatekeeping progression locks, visual glitches such as in nameless kings zone, a boss that holds an invisible baby(up for debate, I know, lore nerds), the Yhorm fight and gimmick, two of the covenants are functionally identical (but hey they work this time), and less bosses than previous titles.

Its not a bad game, its just for what was the end of Dark Souls it had some poor fundamentals the other titles didnt. In addition, it was a game designed around doing greatest hits of Demon Souls/Dark Souls 1 without much to really show on its own, so parts often have a repurposed assets or design concept feel. For the third title in the franchise from teams that had done this multiple times (and recently iterated on the formula very well) its a strange step back/horizontal move feeling everywhere.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 29, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

....butterflies?

i can see the stunlocking complaints even now* but i think the starting weapons only feel really good/powerful is because they're super easy to use, some of the other cooler weapons require you to be more cognizant of their left trigger abilities and combos and stuff, not sure how different it was at launch. plus there's the traditional Dark Souls issue where upgrade materials for whatever your current area is are going to be very scarce, so there's a sunk-cost thing in sticking with your first weapon for a lot of the game

haven't seen the baby boss yet or yhorn so can't comment on those

*ama about how i got fed up with actually trying to fight those cheaty magic irithyll knight bastards and just keep knocking them down with a giant club now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If youve not done Yhorme yet you havent seen the actual "butterflies" yet but youll have already seen what they come from. There will be no explanation of any of that and originally they were supposed to be totally different more lore appropriate creatures.

As for weapon balance at launch due to the high base stats and bad scaling math (Memory may be failing on this part) on weapons, not only was the starting weapons absurdly powerful throughout the game, since they took little stamina and had no windup the choice was between using an interesting but more dangerous to use, more stamina consuming, and weaker weapon or just running face first into foes tapping R1 four times and killing pretty much anything except bosses from 100% to dead with no risk.

The ithryll knights, and other enemies too, were awful due to no poise and enemies not having stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dark Souls 3 is the best one by a loving mile. Most people who dislike it had chip on their shoulder about it before it even came out and have a really selective memory about the previous games.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 29, 2020