Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got home from seeing The Invisible Man. Thought it was great! Parts of it were downright terrifying. If you've ever escaped from an abusive relationship, maybe take caution before seeing it because it offers a fairly accurate portrayal of a controlling narcissist using his power over his ex to gently caress with her (albeit with a neat horror movie twist).

Leigh Whannell does it again (Upgrade was also great).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For the people who've seen The Invisible Man, can you let me know if there's any rape or animal killing?

Thinking about a date night movie but the gf has some hang ups about animals and I'm not a fan of rape.
There is not. There's a dog, but it doesn't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

TheKingslayer posted:

Just got to the end and yeah, I had low expectation but was pretty impressed. The gore especially throughout the movie was really detailed and done in a way I can't really recall seeing in too many others.

Yeah, it was something I missed when it first came out (except for the poster in video stores) but it was a nice surprise. Not an instant classic, but there's some great stuff in there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rageaholic posted:

Just got home from seeing The Invisible Man. Thought it was great! Parts of it were downright terrifying. If you've ever escaped from an abusive relationship, maybe take caution before seeing it because it offers a fairly accurate portrayal of a controlling narcissist using his power over his ex to gently caress with her (albeit with a neat horror movie twist).

I'm still on the fence about seeing it. To start, the remake/reboots of the Universal Classics have been very hit or miss with me, and even with my all movies free pass, I'd be annoyed using one on a movie that I end up not liking at all. Second, I was in an abusive relationship that was heavy on the gaslighting and while it's taken years of work getting me to the pretty drat good place my head's in now, I'm iffy about this movie. I've sat through films that hit a little too uncomfortably close like Fade To Black (movie obsession) and Carrie (relentless bullying), I've got the feeling this might be just over my tolerance limit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Can I please see the Candyman trailer that you all saw, because the one I watched was a pile of poo poo with not a single milligram of subtlety.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I didn't like how brightly lit, clean, and televisual everything in the trailer looked. I also didn't like how they seemingly gave away the entire plot. That said I'm still hype. Candyman is one of my favourite properties, and Peele is coming at it from an interesting perspective. I'm sure it's not going to be better than the original Candyman, but then again few things are.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 28, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Subtlety is overrated, and given Peele's last two films in particular, I think I prefer that he be as blunt as possible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Subtlety is overrated, and given Peele's last two films in particular, I think I prefer that he be as blunt as possible.

Get Out was a Good Film, Us less so.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For the people who've seen The Invisible Man, can you let me know if there's any rape or animal killing?

Thinking about a date night movie but the gf has some hang ups about animals and I'm not a fan of rape.

Doesthedogdie.com is very useful if like me you love horror but hate one particular thing (creepy-crawlies)

It has trigger warnings for everything, animal death, eye trauma, tooth trauma, and dragon deaths

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm still on the fence about seeing it. To start, the remake/reboots of the Universal Classics have been very hit or miss with me, and even with my all movies free pass, I'd be annoyed using one on a movie that I end up not liking at all. Second, I was in an abusive relationship that was heavy on the gaslighting and while it's taken years of work getting me to the pretty drat good place my head's in now, I'm iffy about this movie. I've sat through films that hit a little too uncomfortably close like Fade To Black (movie obsession) and Carrie (relentless bullying), I've got the feeling this might be just over my tolerance limit.

Thinking about it some more and I've softened on my opinion of Invisible Man and think there's more to like about it than I gave it credit for, but it will absolutely be a tough experience if you have the lived experience of abuse and gaslighting. If there's one thing the movie does well, it's tapping into the horror and distortion of reality that can come from that, and it feels authentic to that experience because Whannell apparently consulted with several abuse victims while writing it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Doesthedogdie.com is very useful if like me you love horror but hate one particular thing (creepy-crawlies)

It has trigger warnings for everything, animal death, eye trauma, tooth trauma, and dragon deaths

Also farting

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I didn't like how brightly lit, clean, and televisual everything in the trailer looked. I also didn't like how they seemingly gave away the entire plot. That said I'm still hype. Candyman is one of my favourite properties, and Peele is coming at it from an interesting perspective. I'm sure it's not going to be better than the original Candyman, but then again few things are.

It's just something we people who grew up with movies that were made before the 2000s are gonna have to accept. Movies are never gonna look like that again, they all have that high gloss sheen, at least compared to stuff in the 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's.

Jedit posted:

Can I please see the Candyman trailer that you all saw, because the one I watched was a pile of poo poo with not a single milligram of subtlety.

I'm more in the middle on it, not quite as hyped by it as some others here but I don't think it looks like a pile of poo poo :shrug:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jedit posted:

I'm with you. I have no interest in it based on that trailer.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

New series on Shudder starting in April. It looks pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4LZBEVlSXA

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

New series on Shudder starting in April. It looks pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4LZBEVlSXA

Not sure how I feel about it. Looks a bit too exploitative of the deaths of people like Heather O'Rourke and Brandon Lee. We'll see.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The Invisible Man is really, really great. It really seems itself on not being a remake for remakes sake but for having a strong storyline about abuse, control, and the crushing sense of abandonment when you're not believed and uses The Invisible concept to augment that story. I would literally only change one thing where he gets splashed with paint and washed it off completely in seconds. Should just have been water or dust but otherwise harrowing and very well cast.

Saw Fantasy Island right after and outside of a glimmer of a neat idea for an anthology movie or horror tv series, it just continues to get less good and cheaper looking the further you get. It almost feels like bad improv at the end. Almost as bad as the Bye Bye Man.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ape Agitator posted:

The Invisible Man is really, really great. It really seems itself on not being a remake for remakes sake but for having a strong storyline about abuse, control, and the crushing sense of abandonment when you're not believed and uses The Invisible concept to augment that story. I would literally only change one thing where he gets splashed with paint and washed it off completely in seconds. Should just have been water or dust but otherwise harrowing and very well cast.

Part of the reason I was a little sour on it at first was my movie companion kept bringing up these tactical realism criticisms like the one above, but really no one should care much about that stuff in an invisible stalker movie.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure how I feel about it. Looks a bit too exploitative of the deaths of people like Heather O'Rourke and Brandon Lee. We'll see.

I can see how it would give off that impression, but I think it's in safe hands. The creator/director of the series (Jay Cheel) is a massive horror movie nerd on a podcast he co-hosts. He definitely has a lot of love and respect for the genre and the people that are a part of it. Actually, since it's vaguely relevant, here's a short piece he made about blood squibs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think a big part of the reason why I'm interested in the Invisible Man is because it seems less like a remake and more like someone had an idea of how to tell a different kind of horror story with the Invisible Man and decided to do it. Its a retelling.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Regarding the paint in The Invisible Man, they actually included that in a trailer I saw today. I was ready to walk into the movie wondering if maybe she really was just paranoid but no, the trailer makes everything pretty plain. I'm sure how terrible trailers are for plot spoilers has been talked about a million times, but apparently I just need to avoid them from now on.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just rewatched Patchwork. I love this movie so much.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Apparently SyFy's going to do a series based on Day of the Dead. I should be excited or at least intrigued by this news, but considering it's SyFy I wonder if it's going to end up being a 'crib as much as we can from Walking Dead'.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/320262/day-of-the-dead-series-coming-to-syfy-in-2021/

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
In echo'ing the goon consensus that Color Out of Space rocks loving socks, I decided to cruise Richard Stanley's IMDB trivia page and found this little gem-

quote:

The great grandson of the explorer Henry M. Stanley, Richard was inspired to make a film from H. G. Wells's story, "The Island of Dr. Moreau", not only because it appealed to him on its own merits but because Wells had claimed that Joseph Conrad's character, Kurz, in his novel "Heart of Darkness" was based on Dr. Moreau, and Conrad, in his own defense, claimed that Kurz was based on Henry M. Stanley.

After reading that, it just made so much goddamn sense.

Of course Richard Stanley is a legit madman, his great-grandfather was the real life inspiration for Colonel Kurtz.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Apparently SyFy's going to do a series based on Day of the Dead. I should be excited or at least intrigued by this news, but considering it's SyFy I wonder if it's going to end up being a 'crib as much as we can from Walking Dead'.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/320262/day-of-the-dead-series-coming-to-syfy-in-2021/

Their walking dead was znation and that was way better than walking dead

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

We're also getting a sequel/follow up to Train to Busan.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3607192/well-go-usa-shares-poster-art-upcoming-train-busan-followup-peninsula/

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Shudder/AMC? already has a series Dead Lands based on the New Zealand movie by the same name.

It's legit awesome, similar to early TWD but with a stone-age culture. The haka dances, stone ping-pong paddles and just the action overall is very well done.

I thought about making a post in TVIV about it but ended up just smoking weed instead.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Shudder/AMC? already has a series Dead Lands based on the New Zealand movie by the same name.

It's legit awesome, similar to early TWD but with a stone-age culture. The haka dances, stone ping-pong paddles and just the action overall is very well done.

I thought about making a post in TVIV about it but ended up just smoking weed instead.

Dead Lands is excellent. I just wish they'd get more episodes soon.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

flashy_mcflash posted:

Part of the reason I was a little sour on it at first was my movie companion kept bringing up these tactical realism criticisms like the one above, but really no one should care much about that stuff in an invisible stalker movie.

Totally fair but one of the really good filmmaking parts of the movie was how well it played in paranoia and visually framing scenes to illustrate where someone is or could be. It really trapped into her world and let you empathize so well because she's dealing with a person but he could be anywhere or nowhere. So slight missteps like the paint stood out to me because it felt unfair to the concept to have her do something smart and striking and have it reset instantly. And the moments immediately before and after the paint are great tension and later harrowing action.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The new Invisible Man movie definitely starts better than it finishes, but I still enjoyed and recommend it.

The best part of the movie for me was right at the very beginning when she was trying to leave the house without making any sound. Super tense, and extremely well shot.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

VFW is about as good as Feast.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AKZ posted:

VFW is about as good as Feast.

it has 100% less rape than Feast, and 100% more Fred Williamson

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I am watching through the Friday the 13th movies for the first time. Plenty of ink has been spilled about these movies and how sex plays into them so it did not bother me that much. What I honestly find troubling is the ableism.

For as iconic as these movies are I think I have been missing much. This has made me appreciate what Heather Langenkamp brought to the Nightmare on Elm Street serries.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it has 100% less rape than Feast, and 100% more Fred Williamson

Yep. It is an ok, but not a great movie and no one should try to sell it as "Green Room, but with vets."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Literally one minute into VFW but I can already tell this is gonna be good

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

Literally one minute into VFW but I can already tell this is gonna be good

hell yeah lets get rowdy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That owned. The gore was...excessive :lol:

Whoever compared it to Hobo With a Shotgun was spot on.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I think my expectations for movies needs to be adjusted.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no such thing as excessive gore

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AKZ posted:

I think my expectations for movies needs to be adjusted.

The whole Hobo with a Shotgun style/aesthetic isn't for everyone, I'm not really into it myself. Although I haven't seen VFW yet.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I can appreciate what I think they were going for, but holy poo poo was some of the dialogue/acting hack, which I get with the aesthetic. I guess I felt like they leaned in so hard to it that the characters weren't even characters, they just turned into wooden archetypes. If that was the goal of the style it worked.

IDK, I think I've become spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Of course Richard Stanley is a legit madman, his great-grandfather was the real life inspiration for Colonel Kurtz.

And he got to direct Brando, too. Although the most interesting piece of Richard Stanley trivia is that he still uses a plushie Cthulhu as a teddy bear.

Still no release date for TCOS in the UK, goddammit.