Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s bullroar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Eggs are not vegan, unfortunately.

It suggests a modification for making it vegan by replacing the eggs with 2/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yo so we get our rice in the bulk bins, and I usually go for Basmati. Pretty much in every batch I get one or two really small black pieces, half the size of a grain of basmati, that look like the could be rice but I'm suspicious they're something else. It's definitely not a grain weevil or bugs, but looks like it could be roach poop, or another dropping. They're completely hard and do not break apart. Any ideas? Just funky grains of rice? Google was not helpful and everything pointed to weevils or other grain based buuuugs. Thanks!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The homebrewing thread is really intimidating and my project is a little different from what they seem to focus on, so I hope this can go here instead. I just had to throw out my first attempt at making ginger beer and would appreciate some advice. My recipe was about a pound of ginger, shredded (appx. 1.5 cups), mixed with a syrup (4 cups water to 3/4 cups sugar, juice of one lime) and 1/4 tsp. baker's yeast (didn't have champagne yeast as called for, other recipes used this one so I went for it). My only previous fermentation experience is rapidly killing a kombucha scoby due to uncontrolled temperature, so this was purely following a recipe I found online; eventually I'd like to start a bug and use that. I placed the yeasted mixture in a clean one-gallon glass jar and added 4 more cups water then attached an airlock lid, and let it sit at room temp for three days, at which point I moved it to a clean plastic 2-liter bottle and let it go for another day and a half or so, burping once or twice, until I refrigerated it for about a day.

The final result was almost completely dry - it had very little ginger flavor left and no sweetness, and had an unpleasant overall taste. I didn't want to have a second sip. It also had minimal carbonation although some bubbles did still rise in the cup I poured into. I think next time I need to make a few changes. One - shorter ferment overall, maybe only two or three days total before chilling. I went longer thinking it would produce a stronger carbonation but that was obviously wrong. Two - better filtration between F1 and F2. I didn't have any coffee filters when I went to pour so I just did my best to pour slowly and leave the yeast behind. It did not go well. I think this will help but I'm not sure why? My final product was very cloudy and had sediment at the bottom, so even just reducing that would be good. Three - use all brown sugar. I had to use a mix of equal parts white, brown, and turbinado sugars because my pantry situation was dire when I started doing it. Four - omit the lime juice and add that as a final flavoring step. Potentially also add ginger juice here for more heat.

This all started from my quest to find an adequately spicy ginger beer. Fever Tree is probably the closest I've tried so far; most brands have way too much sweetening for me. What I want is very lightly sweet, but fiery enough with ginger flavor that most people won't like it. I've tried most of what BevMo carries so if you've got a weird outlier I can order online I'll try that too, but I really do want to start producing my own beverages for myself one day.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

The homebrewing thread is really intimidating and my project is a little different from what they seem to focus on, so I hope this can go here instead. I just had to throw out my first attempt at making ginger beer and would appreciate some advice. My recipe was about a pound of ginger, shredded (appx. 1.5 cups), mixed with a syrup (4 cups water to 3/4 cups sugar, juice of one lime) and 1/4 tsp. baker's yeast (didn't have champagne yeast as called for, other recipes used this one so I went for it). My only previous fermentation experience is rapidly killing a kombucha scoby due to uncontrolled temperature, so this was purely following a recipe I found online; eventually I'd like to start a bug and use that. I placed the yeasted mixture in a clean one-gallon glass jar and added 4 more cups water then attached an airlock lid, and let it sit at room temp for three days, at which point I moved it to a clean plastic 2-liter bottle and let it go for another day and a half or so, burping once or twice, until I refrigerated it for about a day.

The final result was almost completely dry - it had very little ginger flavor left and no sweetness, and had an unpleasant overall taste. I didn't want to have a second sip. It also had minimal carbonation although some bubbles did still rise in the cup I poured into. I think next time I need to make a few changes. One - shorter ferment overall, maybe only two or three days total before chilling. I went longer thinking it would produce a stronger carbonation but that was obviously wrong. Two - better filtration between F1 and F2. I didn't have any coffee filters when I went to pour so I just did my best to pour slowly and leave the yeast behind. It did not go well. I think this will help but I'm not sure why? My final product was very cloudy and had sediment at the bottom, so even just reducing that would be good. Three - use all brown sugar. I had to use a mix of equal parts white, brown, and turbinado sugars because my pantry situation was dire when I started doing it. Four - omit the lime juice and add that as a final flavoring step. Potentially also add ginger juice here for more heat.

This all started from my quest to find an adequately spicy ginger beer. Fever Tree is probably the closest I've tried so far; most brands have way too much sweetening for me. What I want is very lightly sweet, but fiery enough with ginger flavor that most people won't like it. I've tried most of what BevMo carries so if you've got a weird outlier I can order online I'll try that too, but I really do want to start producing my own beverages for myself one day.

It looks like you're really wanting ginger overall, so that's how I'm tailoring this advice. tl;dr I make and do r&d on liquor for a living, so this is something I'm well acquainted with. This might sound like a lot of info and be a little daunting, but I'm happy to give advice.

So first off, using bakers yeast in something like this is a mistake. All yeast is not created equal - bakers yeast works REALLY fast and typically converts everything out to alcohol, and it produces a ton of off flavors and has no respect for whatever flavor you're trying to preserve. It's good for bread, because typically bread isn't sugary and so it has to be hardy and voracious to make the bread rise. Give it an actual sugary base and it goes nuts, runs rampant, and shits on everything around it. What I'm saying is, don't sleep on your yeast, it's probably even more critical than the ginger.

Champagne yeast for this would be ok-ish, but I'd personally use an ale yeast or a lager yeast (more on this in a second). If you have a local homebrew shop, they'll hook you up. If it's warmish (Hi 60's and 70's) where you are use an ale yeast like Lallemand's Nottingham strain. It'll ferment well, and make some nice esters but won't run roughshod over your ginger. If you've got a spot in the house where it's chilly (mid-50s) then I'd opt for a lager yeast like Saflager S-23. It would be a good strain, it's going to give some nice floral elements to the finished gingerbeer. If you'd rather shop online, I'm 100% sure you can get these via amazon prime.

The other thing to note is that not all ginger is created equal. A lot of ginger at the supermarket is, quite frankly, weak. You're going to look like a tool, but you'll need to sniff ginger roots to find ones that are worth using. Grab one, snap off one of the little fingers on it, and sniff. It needs to be a strong, spicy aroma. If it's not, then don't use it. And unfortunately, if one root is weak, your odds of getting good stuff at the time drop pretty dramatically, since it's probably all from the same lot. Alternatively, you can just try and use more of it if it's not up to snuff, and like you guessed, juice it and add that juice directly.

Ginger is also a very fibrous root. It's spongy, and so you want to treat it like a sponge. By heating and cooling the concoction several times, you'll force the ginger in the mix to take in, then release liquid (and flavor) as the expansion and contraction of the plant structure differs through the heating process. You'll actually get a stronger ginger flavor doing multiple short-simmers followed by cooling than you will a single long simmer.

Don't skimp on the lime juice, the yeast actually needs that pH to work properly and make sure other awful stuff doesn't take up residence in your brew. The lime juice makes sure you're not finishing up with a botulism cordial.

As far as filtration goes, coffee filters are for chumps. They clog up fast, take forever to perculate through, and then you have to do a little dance to get the liquid that won't go through out of them. Use cheesecloth and a funnel. Take a 6x6 piece of fine-mesh cheese cloth, fold it over, so it's 4 ply thick, and then put it in a funnel and use a wooden spoon to poke it down into the funnel's stem as far as you can get it. It's going to drain through that SLOW, but it won't actually clog up, and you'll get much clearer liquid out the other end. You can even hand wash and re-use the cheese cloth.

Here's what I'd do:

300g ginger, ground fine
1.5 liters of water
100g white sugar
50g blackstrap molasses (use golden molasses if you want a lighter flavor, or just adjust the sugar up and the molasses down)
150ml lime juice
3g of brewing yeast (1/4 tsp)

Combine the ginger, sugar, and molasses into the water and whisk until simmering. Allow to remain at a very low simmer for 30 minutes (don't boil it hard, lest too many of the volatiles from the ginger escape)
Let it cool for 1 hour, then bring it back to a simmer for 10 minutes
Let it cool for 1 more hour, then bring it back to a simmer for another 10 minutes
Cool it to room temperature, then add the lime juice before filtering through the cheesecloth.
While this is filtering, proof your yeast by adding 5g of sugar to 50ml of room temperature water and stirring the yeast into that.
Once the filtration is finished, stir the yeast starter into the mix in a sanitary fermentation vessel (sounds like you got this already) and place wherever has the temperature range your yeast likes.
After primary fermentation is complete, filter it through the cheesecloth again and put into a bottle in the fridge to stop fermentation.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 27, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

E: disagree about baker's yeast being a problem in this case. And get a superbag if you like experiments like this!

Are you trying to make it alcoholic? If not, that's way too long to ferment so yeah all the sugar got turned into CO2 before you capped it.

I’ve done ginger beer that I've loved this way:

Boil water, add sugar and ginger, steep a day in the fridge

Filter as desired

Pitch yeast and carb at room temp for like 36 hours (in a 78°F kitchen, so ymmv)

Fridge and enjoy, but check to make sure it's slow enough not to blow up

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 27, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the detailed responses you both, this is all very helpful! I'm in a fairly large metro area so I'll look around for homebrew shops and go talk to the staff about my project and conditions. Eventually I'll need bottles and stuff so probably should have done this to start with. I picked up more ginger this afternoon before learning to smell-test it (good tip in general though), so it's probably also sub-par, but given these tips I'm still hoping to at least get a product that won't make me gag! I absolutely would not have thought of doing several shorter simmers but that's a great idea.

As for alcohol content, it's really not the objective. If I want to tie one on that's a separate deal, this for me is about celebrating ginger and watering eyes. Lots of carbonation would be a higher priority than ABV.

Any tips on starting a wild culture for this? From some preliminary research it seems a lot like starting sourdough, another future project for me, or should I focus on using purchased yeasts and refine the process first? Also, on review the ferment times at that link are wild given the results and feedback I got, they say go for 10-14 days after bottling the full mixture.

BrianBoitano, I get a lot of results for superbag but I'm assuming you meant one of these?

e what about peeling?

e: I've loved ginger beer forever but in case anyone was wondering I did the idea to actually, ya know, DO IT from It's Alive; I should have taken more lessons from Brad's mistakes

Chard fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 27, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah that's the one.

I'd shy away from capturing wild yeast for now. It's a roll of the dice each time, and you can make phenomenal ginger beer without it.

14 days is alcohol making timetable, and the recipe you linked said to seal and only check after 5 days. That's enough to make glass explode if your kitchen is warm.

You can save yourself much hassle by using plastic bottles. You can give them a squeeze to check progress.

What size batch do you eventually want to make?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Eggs are not vegan, unfortunately.

Yeah, but in baked goods, you can sneak the eggs right by them. Don't ask, don't tell, right?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I made ginger beer once and the ginger smell was so strong I got a nosebleed (for real).

I didn’t use yeast, I carbonated with an ISI. I got the ginger at an Asian grocery store it was labeled as “young ginger root” and was extremely potent.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve just found the recipe I used when I last made ginger beer, and it was pretty good...

About 200g of ginger root
170g sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
¼ tsp dry active yeast
2L boiling water

Very finely chop the ginger, and combine with the sugar, water and lemon juice in a large jar

Allow to cool for about two hours, then add your yeast

Put in a warmish place for 48h

Transfer to a bottle and refrigerate for 48h

I just used regular bakers yeast that I had in a drawer, and it worked fine

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If I am substituting Italian basil for Thai basil, is there anything else I could add to the dish to make the Italian basil taste more like Thai? I was thinking adding a little mint or something with a little anise flavor?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anise is the distinctive flavor of Thai basil, so I guess a splash of Anisette or Pernod or just some ground anise.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got these weird little things that I initially thought were cherry tomatoes in my veg box this week:

They’re actually mini citrus fruits of some kind, with massive pips in them taking up about half of the internal space.

What can I do with these?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kumquats?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I got these weird little things that I initially thought were cherry tomatoes in my veg box this week:

They’re actually mini citrus fruits of some kind, with massive pips in them taking up about half of the internal space.

Those are kumquats, they are a delicious citrus fruit where you eat the skin!

That's right. The skin is the good part.

Making marmalade is the pro choice imo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wash them

Throw one in your mouth

Chew and eat whole

Don’t be a wimp, fight through the sourness

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

spankmeister posted:

Making marmalade is the pro choice imo.

Do you have a good recipe? I love marmalade

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Scientastic posted:

kumquats! they're poison, please send them to me for safe disposal

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chard posted:

kumquats! they're poison, please send them to me for safe disposal

Don’t send them to just anyone, make sure they’re a properly licensed and certified KDE (kumquat disposal engineer).

I’d be happy to take care of the problem for you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Man, I want a kumquat tree so bad. Such cute trees too, you can grow them in containers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Question number one: will squid ink pasta go well with shrimp scampi?

Question number two: what is a good vegetable side to go with shrimp scampi pasta?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Steve Yun posted:

Question number two: what is a good vegetable side to go with shrimp scampi pasta?
My inclination for whatever reason is to keep vegetable sides pretty simple with pasta. I'd keep it light like the pasta.

Garlicky green beans/sauteed spinach/kale.
Grilled/roasted/sauteed zucchini with some lemon juice and olive oil.
Buttered baby sweet peas with some parsley and/or green onions and maybe a splash of cream.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

1) Yes. Yes. YES.

2) Seconding what Kaiser Schnitzel said, but also think of sauteed Broccoli Rabe or swiss chard, too.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
How to turn flavored water into thick sweet syrup?

I made some jamaica concentrate, which involves boiling hibiscus flours in water, about 2 cups of dried flowers to 4 cups of water. This yields strongly flavored hibiscus concentrate, which is diluted 1:1 with water to make jamaica. It's very tart and usually gets a lot of sugar, sometimes lime.

After I made the concentrate, I thought it would be a good topping for custard or ice cream. I just need to sweeten it a bit and thicken it into a syrup.

How would I do that? Could I just add a ton of sugar and boil it until it reduces? Maybe some pectin or gelatin packets? I'm going for the flavor of Mexican jamaica with the thickness of pancake syrup.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bagheera posted:

Could I just add a ton of sugar and boil it until it reduces?

Yes

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bagheera posted:

I made some jamaica concentrate, which involves boiling hibiscus flours in water, about 2 cups of dried flowers to 4 cups of water. This yields strongly flavored hibiscus concentrate, which is diluted 1:1 with water to make jamaica. It's very tart and usually gets a lot of sugar, sometimes lime.

After I made the concentrate, I thought it would be a good topping for custard or ice cream. I just need to sweeten it a bit and thicken it into a syrup.

How would I do that? Could I just add a ton of sugar and boil it until it reduces? Maybe some pectin or gelatin packets? I'm going for the flavor of Mexican jamaica with the thickness of pancake syrup.

More or less. I'm also going to suggest corn syrup for this - (not high fructose corn syrup, but rather Karo which you can buy with the other sweeteners.)

Here's why I would consider that instead of using sugar: It's going to take you a while to "boil down" this until you hit your desired consistency and concentration. Sugar is going to start caramelizing on you before you hit that target, I think.

My guess is that if you boil the concentrate too hard, it'll start to change the flavor, too. Everything lovely about those things (the flavor and aroma) are volatile, and if you can smell it while it's on the heat, that means that aroma is more or less escaping the mixture.

So yeah, I'd get Karo syrup, and start with like a 1:3 mix of jamaica to syrup, heat it gently to combine and see what the consistency is like. If you pull it from the heat, it may seem "thin" until you put it into the fridge and it will thicken back up as it cools.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bagheera posted:

Soy Lecithin or ultratex or something is an alternative to sweetening it even further.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Weltlich posted:

My guess is that if you boil the concentrate too hard, it'll start to change the flavor, too. Everything lovely about those things (the flavor and aroma) are volatile, and if you can smell it while it's on the heat, that means that aroma is more or less escaping the mixture.

Echoing this: I’ve made hibiscus syrup a few times, and you need to be patient. If you’re in a rush and you boil it, it will taste pretty one-note. You need to put it on a very low setting on the hob, and let it reduce slowly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Shrimp scampi was pretty good thanks everyone

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Do you have a good recipe? I love marmalade

Yes.

It's from the painfully smooth Bruno Albouze but if you can stand his California French suaveness he is actually a very good chef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpV4r4bie4g

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

In spite of the seductive nature of the recipe, accent and biceps, after going through them, I didn’t really have enough to make a decent quantity of marmalade, so I went with a cake...

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You make better syrup by merely stirring in sugar with a cold process rather than heating or boiling, particularly with jamaica. Just agitate until integrated.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I’ve been wanting to try to replicate the delicious lentil soup made at my local Lebanese restaurant, but had no idea where to start. Does anyone have a recipe?

Here’s a good photo that shows the texture of the soup in question. It’s so delicious topped with a bit of their house-made hot sauce, and with fresh pita bread.

The ingredients are all so finely chopped I can’t tell what’s in it. Other than deliciousness, lentils, and a lot of black pepper.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wegmans sells these huge family packs of fresh potato gnocchi. Think these would freeze well and I could just cook a bit longer from frozen?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

probably

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I made a crap ton of chicken stock, recommend some soups that freeze well and aren’t chicken noodle.

I also have a ton of pho stock I need to freeze like tomorrow but no pho ingredients so quick soups that use beef stock plz!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

EVG posted:

I’ve been wanting to try to replicate the delicious lentil soup made at my local Lebanese restaurant, but had no idea where to start. Does anyone have a recipe?
Looks like a pretty standard shorbet adas. See for instance this recipe. It'll be hard for us to figure out specifics without tasting it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nwin posted:

Wegmans sells these huge family packs of fresh potato gnocchi. Think these would freeze well and I could just cook a bit longer from frozen?

Yeah probably. I use the frozen gnocchi from stop and shop all the time abd it's really good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

al-azad posted:

I made a crap ton of chicken stock, recommend some soups that freeze well and aren’t chicken noodle.

I also have a ton of pho stock I need to freeze like tomorrow but no pho ingredients so quick soups that use beef stock plz!

You can just freeze the stock if you don't have any immediate ideas.

Anyway here's one for the chicken stock: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mercimek_Corbasi_-_Turkish_Lentil_Soup