Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kansas City, MO, passed free transit at the end of last year and more cities should follow suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a ban on non-essential government travel in the next two weeks (which will be completely pointless since COVID will have already spread nationwide by that point).

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Regarding Afghanistan, I don’t think we should occupy forever, but isn’t any peace deal meaningless? Wouldn’t the Taliban say or sign whatever, wait for the US to leave, then start things up again and trust that trump won’t care enough to reinvade? I don’t have a better idea, but with the Afghan army making ARVN look like space marines it wouldn’t take long.

Oh absolutely, and I doubt even the Trump admin is dumb enough to think otherwise.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NYC hired 500 more cops to just bust people for fare evasion and according to the MTAs own data it will cost more than the worst-case fare evasion.

The cruelty is the point.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Kansas City, MO, passed free transit at the end of last year and more cities should follow suit

Even disregarding the enforcement factor, adding fares to mass transit introduces a point of friction that makes it less effective. The fares never pay for the system anyway, just abstract the cost to taxes and get rid of the turnstile.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cugel the Clever posted:

There's a drat strong argument to be made for eliminating fares, or at least fare enforcement, entirely to remove the exorbitant costs of both enforcement and fare-handling in general. Folks who evade fares aren't trying to commit murder, they're often just trying to get somewhere they need to be and lack the economic security to be comfortable with what to us seems a paltry fare.

It would be interesting to see a cost/revenue breakdown. NYC claims fare-jumpers cost the city about half a billion dollars a year...they're probably spending much less than that on enforcement. Eliminating fares altogether shifts the entire system somewhere else in the budget. If it's not being paid for by fares, it'll be an increase in sales tax or something else. I agree with you that the way its enforced is obscene but just pretending it's free isn't solving anything. They'll pay for it some other way.

Edit: Fares pay over 1/3 of MTA's budget, so about 6.x of the $16B budget annually. That 6 billion dollars is going to come from somewhere.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

It would be interesting to see a cost/revenue breakdown. NYC claims fare-jumpers cost the city about half a billion dollars a year...they're probably spending much less than that on enforcement. Eliminating fares altogether shifts the entire system somewhere else in the budget. If it's not being paid for by fares, it'll be an increase in sales tax or something else. I agree with you that the way its enforced is obscene but just pretending it's free isn't solving anything. They'll pay for it some other way.

Edit: Fares pay over 1/3 of MTA's budget, so about 6.x of the $16B budget annually. That 6 billion dollars is going to come from somewhere.

Take it from the cops and call it good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m curious how the ROI works out hiring hundreds of full time employees to guarantee fares. What’s the fully burdened cost to the city for a cop?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
MTA Will Spend $249M On New Cops to Save $200M on Fare Evasion

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/11/14/mta-will-spend-249m-on-new-cops-to-save-200m-on-fare-evasion/

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

I’m curious how the ROI works out hiring hundreds of full time employees to guarantee fares. What’s the fully burdened cost to the city for a cop?

It's unclear because it looks like the MTA budget proposal asks for funds to hire 500 cops for "fare evasion and homelessness mitigation outreach" but the MTA head is saying they're for general policing. I can also find mealy mouth statements about fair evasion being a part of general policing as well as that fare evasion correlates with the stations where the most violent crime and harassment is happening.

Also the MTA worker's union has been pushing this hard because assaults on their members was up something like 50% last year.

Whole thing looks like a mess.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fallom posted:

don't forget the costs of maintaining the turnstiles, ticket machines, and change machines.

it's all a moot point since cities should absolutely be paying people to ride trains.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

edit: misread the first paragraph

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 29, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Jarmak posted:

This doesn't even pass the smell test, new patrolmen don't make 500k salaries.

Doing some digging it appears that it's $37M/yr on new cops and the rest is a one time expenditure to do things like upgrade turnstiles to make them harder to bypass.

its over 4 years and the numbers are from the MTA themselves

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 29, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jarmak posted:

This doesn't even pass the smell test, new patrolmen don't make 500k salaries.

Doing some digging it appears that it's $37M/yr on new cops and the rest is a one time expenditure to do things like upgrade turnstiles to make them harder to bypass.

Fully burdened cost is salary + benefits + overhead, which tends to be way more than the base salary. It makes sense to see a huge number over a few years.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 29, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

Fully burdened cost is salary + benefits + overhead, which tends to be way more than the base salary.

drat you fucks are quick. Yeah I misread the first paragraph, it's also over four years. Got confused because I saw other articles throwing around the $200m in fare evasion as a annual number.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even disregarding the enforcement factor, adding fares to mass transit introduces a point of friction that makes it less effective. The fares never pay for the system anyway, just abstract the cost to taxes and get rid of the turnstile.

But then I might pay taxes for something I won't personally, directly benefit from! :ohdear:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fister Roboto posted:

But then I might pay taxes on something I won't personally, directly benefit from! :ohdear:

Which is annoying to hear because everyone personally directly benefits from more transportation options and fewer cars on the road.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is annoying to hear because everyone personally directly benefits from more transportation options and fewer cars on the road.

This, I'd gladly pay more taxes to reduce traffic in Boston, commuting via public transit is not a realistic option for me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not to mention not making the poor even more poor has untold flow on effects

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not to mention not making the poor even more poor has untold flow on effects
This. We spend poo poo tons of money on things because people can't afford transportation

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Presumably some of those police are there to patrol to try and keep the MTA from becoming an 80s hellscape again, so you can't completely make the jump from "no fare" to "no police" fiscally. Still it'd be nice to see numbers on what the payment infrastructure itself costs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Enough that we can't afford that and the tax cuts

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a ban on non-essential government travel in the next two weeks (which will be completely pointless since COVID will have already spread nationwide by that point).

There already is at my place of work, email came out a couple days ago saying all non-essential travel is immediately cancelled.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

piL posted:

Presumably some of those police are there to patrol to try and keep the MTA from becoming an 80s hellscape again, so you can't completely make the jump from "no fare" to "no police" fiscally. Still it'd be nice to see numbers on what the payment infrastructure itself costs.

if the railcops didn't have to prioritize busting drunks, poors, and rowdy teenagers for fare evasion, they would be free to patrol and keep citizens safe from actual crime

no fares doesn't necessarily mean no police it don't gotta be an either-or type of situation

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Godholio posted:

Eliminating fares altogether shifts the entire system somewhere else in the budget. If it's not being paid for by fares, it'll be an increase in sales tax or something else. I agree with you that the way its enforced is obscene but just pretending it's free isn't solving anything. They'll pay for it some other way.
Which gets back to the point about rebalancing metropolitan budgets away from subsidizing car ownership toward transit. Our governments, from local to federal, dedicate an incredible amount of resources toward facilitating personal car ownership with only minimal attempts to recoup the costs through tabs and tolls. But we often take this for granted as not only entirely normal, but morally-right.

After all, some would argue, the transit riders are surely just temporarily inconvenienced or morally-deficient and need to fight harder toward the universal ideal of owning a 2.5 car garage with an attached house out in the burbs. High fares and limited service are necessary to discourage them from growing too comfortable on government handouts, unlike us who simply use the naturally-occurring road infrastructure that doesn't require a dime of government expenditure.

To be clear: not arguing to ban all cars and impose rail-only transport in rural villages, just that policy in our urban centers is all-to-often improperly weighted toward personal car ownership over more efficient, equitable, and environmentally-friendly alternatives that actually make life easier for those who still need to drive.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Turns out the antiGreta loves white supremacists, who could have guessed!

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e5974c5c5b6450a30be4a4d/amp?4p=&__twitter_impression=true

First coronavirus death in Washington state

First coronavirus death in the US happened in Kirkland, 20 miles from me. Nice knowing you all just kidding, smdftb

E: hosed up the link, but just gonna edit them both in

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 29, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That article links to the Anti-Greta sock puppet being a fan of Stefan Molyneux, FYI, although I guess it’s related because I hope they both get COVID.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That article links to the Anti-Greta sock puppet being a fan of Stefan Molyneux, FYI, although I guess it’s related because I hope they both get COVID.

You're kinder than I

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Conservatives finding a German teen who supports a neo-nazi and denies science is another one of those things that is so on the nose that it would beggar belief if in fiction.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slim Pickens posted:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e5974c5c5b6450a30be4a4d/amp?4p=&__twitter_impression=true

First coronavirus death in the US happened in Kirkland, 20 miles from me. Nice knowing you all just kidding, smdftb

It's just a hoax.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Conservatives finding a German teen who supports a neo-nazi and denies science is another one of those things that is so on the nose that it would beggar belief if in fiction.
They're loving terrible about with this sort of thing. They find themselves a mouth-piece, and in short order it goes and says the quiet part loud. Remember Cliven "Let me tell you one more thing I know about the Negro!" Bundy?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The best was the Cliven interview holding a calf

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Oregon Public Radio (I think) produced a podcast series called Bundyville I listened to that was a deep-dive on those nuts and it was loving terrifying

lol if you think this country is ever getting better

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nazi Greta's mom is a lawyer for AfD so it makes sense she's a fan of Stefan

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

They're loving terrible about with this sort of thing. They find themselves a mouth-piece, and in short order it goes and says the quiet part loud. Remember Cliven "Let me tell you one more thing I know about the Negro!" Bundy?

There's never any real conviction in their con-artist anti-other side token speaker of the moment. It's always a purely reactionary "see we have one too, betcha can't criticize us now!" token speaker that's there for the paycheck. Thunberg is not exactly there for the public speaker fees, so it shows in her passion and follow-through.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

kirkland brand has everything, but it costcos it all

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Was the Cliven situation the one where he'd been feeding his cattle on public land for years and you had gun nuts setting up checkpoints and sniper nests and ended up in an armed standoff with police?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

quote:

In 2019, Molyneaux said: “I’ve always been skeptical of the ideas of white nationalism, of identitarianism, and white identity. However, I am an empiricist, and I could not help but notice that I could have peaceful, free, easy, civilized and safe discussions in what is, essentially, an all-white country.”

Seibt defended that comment, saying it was out of context.

“He is not devaluing other races, not at all, he’s just describing his experience in western countries, and I agree with that … it’s not that we are better in any way in western countries, and that’s not the point that Molyneaux is trying to make – it’s just that we still have freedom of speech in these countries, and we’re very happy that’s the case.”

Ah, the classic "not a racist, a race realist!" line.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The best was the Cliven interview holding a calf
Dead calf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Naomi Seibt is a holocaust denier that complains about "the jew" being at the very top of the "victim chain", closely followed by Muslims etc. while "poor Germans" are at the very bottom.
She also got bought by the Heartland Institute's "Center on Climate and Environmental Policy" (:lol:) to make sure "climate change alarmists" do, uh..."their research first".

The comments you will find associated with her current US "media" reporting are usually that "she's a hotter Greta" by creeplords discussing how she "is of legal age, but looks younger" (:yikes:). I posted a speech of hers on "climate issues" a couple of days ago, and I thought I had reached rock-bottom of disgust, but I find myself futilely digging away at the bedrock of disgust.

And, sure enough, she gets airtime for her very considerate message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrHs3dv7LQ