Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, on some level I think he liked Tom and Barb's normalcy, and possibly even envied it but not to the extent he wanted to 'sell patio furniture on the roadside' or whatever his go-to complaint was that then he wouldn't be Tony Soprano anymore. He was genuinely upset when Tom's father died and seemed to respect him beyond doing what he was 'supposed to do.'

He probably feels protective over her because Janice never stood up for him when Livia was being awful to him and Tony wasn't going to want the same thing to happen to Barbara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t really care for the symbolism in the Phil scene, it’s way to blunt and doesn’t really go anywhere

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I don't think Phil is gay or repressing anything, nor is there any symbolism- beyond mere irony- of him literally coming out of the closet. Except-

Him lying awake at night, I always interpreted this as him contemplating unfinished business, or perhaps a restless sense of dissatisfaction- Vito is gone, but the DiMeo family still needs to be dealt with. As far as he knew, Tony had no move in motion to whack Vito and was actively harboring him in defiance. This sense of resentment only worsens and intensifies over time- the Phil Leotardo who spoke moderately on John' Sacrimoni's behest just a few episodes ago is gone. If anything, his coming out of the hotel closet signifies that gay or not, the REAL Phil has arrived, and he is abandoning all pretense of being rational or reasonable in order to finally bring some closure to his personal slights.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I didn't read too much into the "coming out of the closet" moment beyond the obvious symbolism and even at the time found it a tad heavy handed for a show that typically avoids that sort of thing. I didn't connect it to Phil's sexuality at all and always read him as straight beyond whatever he experienced in prison - and "you get a pass for that". There may have been some repressed anger for what he did sexually while he was locked up.

Also, since he WAS gone away for so long, I read his Vito outrage and his approach in general more along the lines of Feech and RItchie, two other old school guys who "went away" and wanted to do old school poo poo to get through traditional means what was owed to them when they got out. One thing that sets Tony apart, aside from his therapy sessions, is that he never had to "go away" so he was able to come up and mature in the more "modern" mob and he could sort of keep up with the times, even while pining for Gary Cooper.

This can be a strength or a weakness, as the show demonstrates and it's fun to contemplate if therapy made him a "better" or "worse" godfather. He also suffered guilt for remaining free while his cousin took the rap and got locked up.

Hope that all made sense. I was kind of meandering there and it reads funny but there's a point in there somewhere I think.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My favorite Phil moment is when he’s talking poo poo from the safety of his upstairs window. That scene really highlights the color of his character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XIyEm0ExEA

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 27, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Superb writeup as always. Random thoughts:

-I lol when Phil complains about his hosed up slacks.

-The neon pig at Pied de Cochon in Paris- I love the juxtaposition of Carmela taking the picture, probably just because it's charming but perhaps it's for Tony, because it reminds her of Satriale's- and then cutting to Murmur at the pork store telling a dirty joke about a man and the "pig" he's loving. The sacred AND the propane!

-"Some woman just like us wore this" Probably not. More likely some kind of a noblewoman than a gaudily bejeweled Jersey mob wife.

-"Lovers' quarrel, maybe"- low key one of the funniest lines in the series. You can see it on Michael Imperioli's face how he's reading the situation totally differently from the other guys. It's brilliant.

Jerusalem posted:

Phil listens to all this trying to maintain his composure, only losing it during a rather bizarre moment when one of the other mourners puts a bodybuilding program on the television (what the hell?).
God drat this is funny.

-The session with Melfi in this episode is probably my favourite of all.

-You should NEVER vacuum mouse or rat turds because of the hantavirus- they need to be swept. You pretty much need to throw the vacuum/dustbuster out after that (or crack it over someone's head)

-Dom's first appearance was actually in Moe n' Joe- he's the guy at the Averna Club who says John should have stood trial like a man.

-I want to go to whatever restaurant that is at Rockefeller Center. I've gone to the Plaza (Eloise) and the River Cafe (where Johnny Sack meets Paulie after he gets out of prison) because of this show.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I like how "jack off in a tissue" becomes "didnt make it an issue" in the tv edit.

Oh wow, this is a thing? Some of the edits must be hilariously bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ruddiger posted:

My favorite Phil moment is when he’s talking poo poo from the safety of his upstairs window. That scene really highlights the color of his character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XIyEm0ExEA

I love how you can barely see him, too. Like he's not even sticking his head out the window.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Oh yeah. A&E paid something in the neighborhood of $2.5 mil an episode circa 2005 for the basic cable rights. Apparently, though, the producers had planned for it and did alternate, cleaned-up versions of some scenes during the original filming (Notably stuff at the Bing, where the dancers now wore swimsuits.) It gave A&E a brief ratings spike, but I don't recall them airing it that long.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I didn't read too much into the "coming out of the closet" moment beyond the obvious symbolism and even at the time found it a tad heavy handed for a show that typically avoids that sort of thing. I didn't connect it to Phil's sexuality at all and always read him as straight beyond whatever he experienced in prison - and "you get a pass for that". There may have been some repressed anger for what he did sexually while he was locked up.

Also, since he WAS gone away for so long, I read his Vito outrage and his approach in general more along the lines of Feech and RItchie, two other old school guys who "went away" and wanted to do old school poo poo to get through traditional means what was owed to them when they got out. One thing that sets Tony apart, aside from his therapy sessions, is that he never had to "go away" so he was able to come up and mature in the more "modern" mob and he could sort of keep up with the times, even while pining for Gary Cooper.

This can be a strength or a weakness, as the show demonstrates and it's fun to contemplate if therapy made him a "better" or "worse" godfather. He also suffered guilt for remaining free while his cousin took the rap and got locked up.

Hope that all made sense. I was kind of meandering there and it reads funny but there's a point in there somewhere I think.

He was gay, Gary Cooper?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

Oh yeah. A&E paid something in the neighborhood of $2.5 mil an episode circa 2005 for the basic cable rights. Apparently, though, the producers had planned for it and did alternate, cleaned-up versions of some scenes during the original filming (Notably stuff at the Bing, where the dancers now wore swimsuits.) It gave A&E a brief ratings spike, but I don't recall them airing it that long.

They aired it for a while, but eventually just stuck it at weird places to fill time like at 8 AM.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

one of the weirder ones i remember is "Cock sucker" got turned into cockroach but it was pronounced really odd like cock-uh-roach like Tony Montana would say. Like instead of redubbing the entire word they left in the original cock part and frankensteined the rest of the word from other parts.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I love how you can barely see him, too. Like he's not even sticking his head out the window.

Thats cause Phil is a little bitch

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

codo27 posted:

Thats cause Phil is a little bitch

Hey! You show the Boss of a Family the proper respect!

He's a Big Bitch, tyvm

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I saw that skit many years ago before I ever watched the show and looking back now its so crude and non representative of the show. But now I'm realizing its making fun of the edits, not the show

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Will Sasso does do an amazing Tony. Have to do a double take every time I first see him in Melfi's office.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The DVD and Blu-Ray boxed sets include a bunch of the parodies from different shows and that sketch from Mad TV is the only funny one. SNL waited years before finally doing one, and it was entirely based around the actors in season five forgetting the storylines because it had been so long since season four.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vichan posted:

Will Sasso does do an amazing Tony. Have to do a double take every time I first see him in Melfi's office.

Same for Joey Diaz as Big Pussy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is it Sasso that also plays Seagal?

https://youtu.be/w_l-4rAUAzQ

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah. Remember Frank Caliendo? Wonder those guys never went on to much of any significance.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vichan posted:

Yeah, that's the best after that one youtube impersonator.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Where can I get some gabagoul

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thrift find today

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

codo27 posted:

Thrift find today

How did Carlo get such a good spot on the lineup?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bip Roberts posted:

I think you just failed the sopranos trivia game

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
you can't post the tin and not post any of the questions

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Post questions you coward!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Wtf, why is Spider back alive? What kind of crossover is this?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Wow, Diane from Oz cleans up well.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I think you just failed the sopranos trivia game

I thought he was joking Gandolfini was so slim then that he was unrecognizable. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure that one out.

edit: vv that's even funnier vv

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 2, 2020

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

escape artist posted:

Wow, Diane from Oz cleans up well.

I thought he was joking Gandolfini was so slim then that he was unrecognizable. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure that one out.

he means nancy marchand ya goof

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

"How many years did Phil Leotardo do in prison?"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
“20 [fuckin’]”

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

"Why did Livia get kicked out of Green Grove?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7bN1wtmBL4

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:golfclap:

“Who claimed to have kept Ginny Sack in Butter Brickle?”

“Who claimed to have kept Ginny Sack in Devil Dogs?”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty heavy on the Ginny Sack questions.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty heavy on the Ginny Sack questions.

Eyyyy, make sure John don't hear you using that kind of language

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ginny Sacs so fat her trivia questions need their own book.

One I time I answered a Ginny Sac trivia quesion...and I gained 20 lbs.

Ginny fat

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Just had to remind myself what an awesome song this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyfwAgNtcYM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know we only talked about it a few pages back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KgB-sI2H-c

We finished our watch a few weeks ago now or more and I'm honestly suddenly sad listening to this