Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

drunk mutt posted:

What is the stance if a company requests time spent in their HQ, which is overseas, for a substantial amount of time to on board?

I've had to do this for most remote jobs; it was often just 1 week to get your equipment (you want to actually make sure all your hardware works as expected -- including from outside their network), signing some HR stuff in person, and getting face time with people you'll then interact with offline, but has been longer for some other jobs I've had. I think one was around 2 weeks but they had specific training to give before they'd send me to do consulting-like tasks at customer sites.

The more remote-friendly, the shorter the first in-office presence tends to be. 1 week is normal, 2 is long; anything longer is kinda weird in my experience, I'd expect they can give you an agenda of everything to show they really need you that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that sounds like how amazon does its bonuses. basically they give you a constant salary of x, but the first year x is 90% salary and 10% stock, switching to 50/50 over three or four years. they call the x where x equals a year's comp minus (that years stock plus the base salary) "bonus" even though it isn't tied to perf- it's just salary-equivalent of your stock grant

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it should be called "screwing peeps out of stock comp" cuz thats what it is lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Until them dumb motherfuckers see clearly
That I'm down with the capital R.S.U.
Boy you can't gently caress with me
So when I'm in your thread, you better duck
Coz YOSPOS is crazy as gently caress
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
But when I come back, boy, I'm comin straight outta Stock Comp

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

O_O

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Outside of cracking the code is there a decent resource on algorithms, data structures, and etc to use? I think it's my biggest weakness in programming interviews and i'd really like to earn more figgies at one of the bigger tech companies in the region.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

Until them dumb motherfuckers see clearly
That I'm down with the capital R.S.U.
Boy you can't gently caress with me
So when I'm in your thread, you better duck
Coz YOSPOS is crazy as gently caress
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
But when I come back, boy, I'm comin straight outta Stock Comp

whoa

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it should be called "screwing peeps out of stock comp" cuz thats what it is lol

yeah the place i am going isnt public but is still a pretty well known brand so I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the RSU section of the offer letter being basically worthless instead of a free new car.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 29, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

drunk mutt posted:

What is the stance if a company requests time spent in their HQ, which is overseas, for a substantial amount of time to on board?

Remember that this is a business trip, they should be paying for your travel, accommodation, and meals during that process. Make sure you get up-front the numbers on how much they're able to reimburse you, and keep your receipts.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Outside of cracking the code is there a decent resource on algorithms, data structures, and etc to use? I think it's my biggest weakness in programming interviews and i'd really like to earn more figgies at one of the bigger tech companies in the region.

Algorithms by CLRS is often recommended as a textbook on the topic for CS courses.

GallienKruger
Nov 25, 2005

I talked to the owner about being able to admin my local machine so I don’t have to raise my hand and have the teacher open my juicebox everytime I want to update notepad and the reply was a gasp and “but that’s against policy!!”

I reempowered myself by raining my resume across every local oppurtunity and have two job interviews next week. SO thinks I should undo the blue in my hair but I think if they hold that against me that it would be a big indicator that it’s full of squares and I don’t want to be there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MononcQc posted:

I'm comin straight outta Stock Comp

moooooods. thread title please

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GallienKruger posted:

I talked to the owner about being able to admin my local machine so I don’t have to raise my hand and have the teacher open my juicebox everytime I want to update notepad and the reply was a gasp and “but that’s against policy!!”

I would have told you no too. policy is just an excuse, we don’t actually trust anyone to have local admin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah local admin 99.999999% of the time means you’re gonna put some dumb bullshit on your machine and stop the windows update service.

it’s policy for a reason

GallienKruger
Nov 25, 2005

nah. if they trust me to make their software they can trust me to pick my own extensions

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GallienKruger posted:

nah. if they trust me to make their software they can trust me to pick my own extensions

This summons the ransomware.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GallienKruger posted:

:wrong:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GallienKruger posted:

haven't you heard about doctors who are super dumb and bad at everything except their doctoring?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

silvergoose posted:

haven't you heard about doctors who are super dumb and bad at everything except their doctoring?

and they don’t even know they’re dumb because they think that if they can manage to be good at doctoring they should be able to be good at everything else

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I will write the crappy software that makes the company 1000x more than they pay me. The sys admins can janitor all the laptops and servers that enable the labor theft. They are different skills.

GallienKruger
Nov 25, 2005

oh okay I’ve never run into this issue so I guess I better go educate myself with something that doesn’t tell me what I want to hear.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GallienKruger posted:

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

GallienKruger posted:

people like you keep people like me employed. thanks for doing your part, citizen!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I have local admin on my work laptop because the IT contractor on my ticket got fired in between installing some software and locking me out again

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I do my stuff in a vm and let my employer janitor their windows. I don't care much for the custom cert poo poo so they can mitm my posting though

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Post on your drat phones people

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Post on your drat phones people

And don't use the company wifi to do it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Working in the us must be a nightmare

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the one thing that unites everyone of all nations is that working is a nightmare

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Both my current and previous employers found ways to give developers local admin rights on their workstations. The previous one had loads of monitoring and everything ran on a vm in a walled off VPN (didn't even issue company laptops by default as you would just remote in to the vdi).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xarn posted:

Algorithms by CLRS is often recommended as a textbook on the topic for CS courses.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
we run macs with a bunch of endpoint protection tools and they were fine giving me local admin when i requested it :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

your place of employment has bad security policies

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

Both my current and previous employers found ways to give developers local admin rights on their workstations. The previous one had loads of monitoring and everything ran on a vm in a walled off VPN (didn't even issue company laptops by default as you would just remote in to the vdi).

yeah, there a a few different ways to handle this.

privileged vm’s like you describe where the vm is walled off

I’m actually a fan of time-based access controls
where you have an automated way to request elevation for a short period of time, you can install your snowflake text editor, then your privileges are reduced to normal

there are other methods, some better, some worse

GallienKruger
Nov 25, 2005

Yep.I was wrong. I never had local admin at my previous jobs, but their IT teams had things set up seamlessly so that I could do whatever I needed to do semi-safely.

current job is not that. There are no virtual machines. Developers can not make changes to anything. There is no ticket system for these changes. It's an unholy poo poo mess of emails and phone calls and nothing is tracked. Typically developers aren't updating or trying anything new because of the colossal hassle involved. If something absolutely must be changed, IT just hands us admin privileges for an undetermined amount of time with the expectation that we not say anything to anyone so we don't get in trouble for breaking policy.

Was asking for local admin dumb? yeah, i know what I need to ask for now. but all the right people where there to have the conversation of "how do we fix this problem?" and instead they told me to just email the issue to IT and we moved on. If any of the options that The Fool put forward were offered I would have enthusiastically responded YES PLEASE. but those aren't viable to an IT team that is struggling to keep from drowning and isn't getting the resources they need to be effective. It's baffling. We have pretty much a blank check on the development side, but those poor bastards are constantly struggling.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

most likely because the work you developers do is directly on a product that makes the company money

the company is just seeing IT as an expense / road block

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i've worked at a small tech company on windows, a big tech company on macOS, and big tech company on linux, and always had full rights on my workstation

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ahegao to the polls

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jesus WEP posted:

ahegao to the polls
             /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe