Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

How many people are actually in this camp?

I see a few comments that thought it would be RTWP, but it seems most people including myself are just disappointed that it doesn't feel like a baldurs gate game.

Again, if you showed someone this gameplay trailer and didn't tell them it was baldurs gate 3, zero people out of the entire planet would go "oh man that's baldurs gate!!"

The most baldurs gatey part of bg3 is the logo which they put effort into deriving from the franchise. Guess whoever was behind that got fired and it's the 5e expansion to DOS2

If you put the new xcom and old xcom back to back would you consider them in the same franchise? Make it more tricky and put Xenonauts and Phoenix Point next to them and ask which one are the real Xcom games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

jng2058 posted:

Purportedly, it's to make it easier for the player (and possibly the monsters, though I dunno how smart the AI will be in that respect) to set up combos. Like:

Init 20
Wizard casts Grease, Orcs falls prone
Rogue gets Backstab on a prone Orc
Fighter gets advantage on sword attack on different prone Orc
Sorcerer uses Fire Bolt to set the Grease on fire, finishing off both wounded Orcs.
Init 15
Combat's over, all Orcs are dead

as opposed to

Init 20 - Sorcerer goes first in initiative, Fire Bolts an Orc
Init 15 - Orc #1 moves and attacks the Rogue
Init 14 - Rogue goes but can't Backstab because no one else in his party is adjacent to an Orc and no one's prone, Disengages and falls back instead because he's a 1st level Rogue and that hit took him down to 3hp.
Init 12 - Fighter attacks an Orc, misses without Advantage
Init 10 - Orc #2 attacks the Fighter
Init 8 - Wizard would have cast Grease, but now every one's all mixed up and it'd do more harm than good, and casts Magic Missile instead.

With Team Initiative, you can choose who goes when and make teamwork a lot easier, where-as with Individual Initiative, you're at the mercy of the dice and it's a lot harder to coordinate that kind of stuff.

Now it's certainly true that Individual Initiative is not only how DOS works, but also how D&D5E works as well, so this is definitely a change from what's come before. As for which is better? That's probably something we can't know until we're hours deep into the game and have some system mastery.

It'll be really annoying if the AI can do that on the non-hardest difficulties though, but I'm confident they can make that work. It's a good point.

cuntman.net posted:

because of co op probably

Also this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I would also like to point out that the initiative they went with is actually an optional rule in the DMG:

Side Initiative p270 posted:

Recording initiative for each PC and monster, arranging everyone in the correct order, and remembering where you are in the list can bog the game down. If you want quicker combats, at the risk of those combats becoming unbalanced, try using the side initiative rule.

Under this variant, the players roll a d20 for their initiative as a group, or side. You also roll a d20. Neither roll receives any modifiers. Whoever rolls highest wins initiative. In case of a tie, keep rerolling until the tie is broken.

When it's a side's turn, the members of that side can act in any order they choose. Once everyone on the side has taken a turn, the other side goes. A round ends when both sides have completed their turns.

If more than two sides take part in a battle, each side rolls for initiative. Sides act from the highest roll to lowest. Combat continues in the initiative order until the battle is complete.

This variant encourages teamwork and makes your life as a DM easier, since you can more easily coordinate monsters. On the downside, the side that wins initiative can gang up on enemies and take them out before they have a chance to act.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Volte posted:

You still haven't described this je ne sais quoi that makes something Baldur's Gate or not, if not the mechanics, the graphics, the setting, the lore, or the fact that it will largely take place in the city of Baldur's Gate. The only thing left that I can think of is a distinct lack of MCU-esque fan service, which I'm positively grateful for.

What about the gameplay trailer evokes baldurs gate in any way?

Sound? Music? Art style? UI? font?

To answer your questions it's a bunch of things that Larian put zero effort into capturing for 'bg3' and his tweet confirms that it wasn't even part of their mindset - so it's literally just taking the name for recognition and making a 5e game in the dos engine.

quote:

The last thing I want BG3 to be is a tribute to BG2.

Maybe our idea of what a tribute would be is different but that's exactly what I'd want it to be - if a tribute would be like what xcom 2012 was, or the new doom games.

I am replaying dos2 and it seems like it would be pretty amazing if they had just done a baldurs gate game in the DOS engine but we're not gonna get that

Bholder posted:

If you put the new xcom and old xcom back to back would you consider them in the same franchise? Make it more tricky and put Xenonauts and Phoenix Point next to them and ask which one are the real Xcom games.

Heck yeah. The new xcom was amazing.

Xenonauts would be more like siege of dragonspear - I'd hestitate to say it's even Pillars of Eternity quality, but it's in that vein of recapturing the original.

Phoenix Point is just hot garbage and I won't talk about it

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 1, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Baldur's Gate feel to me is essentially the 2nd of BG2 where your bumming around Athkatla emptying XP, gold and magic items into a loot sack. I loved peeling that place apart and sticking my dick into any random old hole in the wall and getting murdered by a surprise lich but hey here's Daystar for your trouble. That poo poo was the bomb.

It's also a feeling that is edition agnostic. The most important question to me is if Larian can provide a large adventure dense environment with interesting loot and the occasional completely in over your head asskicking.

And with some hazy feelings about the interesting loot part, they probably can.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sound? Music? Art style? UI? font?

Maybe our idea of what a tribute would be is different but that's exactly what I'd want it to be - if a tribute would be like what xcom 2012 was, or the new doom games.

Literally none of the aspects you mentioned are in any way similar between OG X-Com and new XCOM, though

Seriously, have you ever considered the possibility that this "BG feel" you keep harping on and on and on about might be completely subjective?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nordick posted:

Literally none of the aspects you mentioned are in any way similar between OG X-Com and new XCOM, though

Seriously, have you ever considered the possibility that this "BG feel" you keep harping on and on and on about might be completely subjective?

how does it being subjective change the point

everything is subjective lol he's just giving his opinion on why it isn't baldurs gate

OBJECTIVELY it is baldurs gate 3, that's what the title says

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nordick posted:

If the start menu doesn't open with a Chorus shouting "BUUM BUM bum bum" at me then I'm sorry but it's not actually Baldur's Gate in any fashion and Swen Vincke must be led to the guillotine.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Heck yeah. The new xcom was amazing.

Xenonauts would be more like siege of dragonspear - I'd hestitate to say it's even Pillars of Eternity quality, but it's in that vein of recapturing the original.

Phoenix Point is just hot garbage and I won't talk about it

You didn't answer which one of these gave a "true xcom feeling"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how does it being subjective change the point

everything is subjective lol he's just giving his opinion on why it isn't baldurs gate

Yeah except he keeps framing it as "Larian isn't doing anything to make it feel like a BG game", which he is not in anyway the arbiter of.

EDIT: I mean, "I'm not personally getting a Baldur's Gate vibe from this" would be perfectly fine, stating poo poo like "Larian doesn't care about Baldur's Gate and are not trying to make a real BG game" like it was objective fact is dumb.

EDIT 2:

Caidin posted:

If the start menu doesn't open with a Chorus shouting "BUUM BUM bum bum" at me then I'm sorry but it's not actually Baldur's Gate in any fashion and Swen Vincke must be led to the guillotine.

Also the level up notification sound must be the EXACT SAME *boing* noise or the entirety of Larian studios must be put to the torch

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 1, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

so it's literally just taking the name for recognition and making a 5e game in the dos engine.

I am replaying dos2 and it seems like it would be pretty amazing if they had just done a baldurs gate game in the DOS engine but we're not gonna get that
I mean..should I just let you two argue amongst yourselves? They're doing with the BG franchise what WotC wants and has approved them to do. This game will effectively be part of the Forgotten Realms canon. There's also a 5e module that serves as a prequel to to Baldur's Gate 3, Descent Into Avernus. It's been out for months already so you can probably already gauge how the two BG eras are going to be bridged. They said BG3 picks up exactly where Descent Into Avernus leaves off, so the entire story from the end of BG2 to the start of BG3 is already out there. The idea that Larian is throwing the bones of Baldur's Gate in the trash and starting over with their own vision is verifiably false.

For that matter, the comparisons to Doom and XCOM are not relevant, because neither of those were sequels to the earlier games, they were reboots and re-imaginings of their respective series, and even a specific game in the series. If this was "Baldur's Gate: The Reboot" featuring all your fave characters and places just how you remember them, but they completely changed it from RTWP to turn-based, added cinematic dialogue, took away specific dialogue lines, and added a bunch of Larian-esque environmental stuff, then yeah that would probably be a huge swing and a miss. This isn't a reboot though, it's just another game in the series, taking place within a canon that hasn't been asleep for the past 20 years. Even if WotC had been licensing out Baldur's Gate for games every 3-5 years for the past two decades, there's no reason to assume that we wouldn't have ended up at this exact spot, with lots of other takes on the mechanics and lore in between to absorb and diffuse the "not a real Baldur's Gate" backlash.

If you want to complain about WotC's handling of the Realms canon, or Baldur's Gate specifically, then knock yourself out. I personally am not very invested in that, but I can understand how some are. But the rage at Larian is nonsensical.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 1, 2020

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Volte posted:

For that matter, the comparisons to Doom and XCOM are not relevant,

They're absolutely relevant for showing how to continue an old franchise in a new direction while maintaining the flavor of the original

Larian hasn't done any of that and isn't even trying - Svens tweet was just confirmation of that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't see how Doom 2016 has much of anything to do with the original Doom. It doesn't maintain any of the original flavour as far as I'm concerned other than on a very broad scale (and also more in terms of what it doesn't do than what it does). Most of what it retains is just recognizable weapons and monsters. If anything it's more of an action-oriented reinterpretation of Doom 3, which many people derided at the time for not being Doom. I love both eras of the games, but in no way are they comparable in terms of when, why, or how I play them. Eternal is going even further away from the original gameplay loop of Doom, into a more Sekiro-like battle chess game (Hugo has talked about this at length). The more I think about it the more I realize that Doom is actually a great counter-example to your point. It proves that future iterations of a game can be fundamentally different in almost every way, and still feel at home alongside the older ones.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Volte posted:

Eternal is going even further away from the original gameplay loop of Doom, into a more Sekiro-like battle chess game (Hugo has talked about this at length).

I have no idea what this means, and yet I'm somehow excited.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Caidin posted:

This, but unironically.

I'm sure they could have done a RTWP game that looks a lot like Baldur's Gate and the POE games, and just used 5e for the underlying maths. That would have been great. This is different, and I don't like things that are different. :ohdear:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have no idea what this means, and yet I'm somehow excited.

He's talked about it in a few places but he talks about the role of mastery and frustration in Doom Eternal, and specifically the influence of Sekiro, in the Noclip video below (timestamped). Can't remember if it's this same video or another one, but somewhere he was using a lot of chess metaphors and really playing up the strategy aspect as well. Basically, it's making me super excited for Doom Eternal specifically because it's pushing the franchise further and further in new directions, and taking influence from other games that I love instead of just reiterating itself over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHIalb01ew&t=1390s

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I could argue that the new Doom resembles Quake more than classic Doom, but Quake also took inspiration from Doom and has a very similar feel to it yet at the same time it's closer to a more modern game.

So even if we claim that BG3 resembles Dragon Age more than classic Baldur's Gate, that doesn't mean it will have nothing to do with Baldur's Gate

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bholder posted:

So even if we claim that BG3 resembles Dragon Age more than classic Baldur's Gate, that doesn't mean it will have nothing to do with Baldur's Gate

Actually it does

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

They're absolutely relevant for showing how to continue an old franchise in a new direction while maintaining the flavor of the original

Larian hasn't done any of that and isn't even trying - Svens tweet was just confirmation of that.

I’ll let you in on a secret: the quintessence, the essence, the spirit, the very heart of Baldur’s Gate is whatever Larian does with this game, Baldur’s Gate 3.

It is not BG1 or BG2, which are dead games that live in the past. You will be one of many people who buy it and complain that it doesn’t have old and busted mechanics like a game you played 20 years ago. However, you will be one of the millions who buy it and play it, which is the point. Larian will then make BG4 and the cycle will repeat itself.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I'm so happy this is going to be turn based, gently caress real time with pause.

Not happy about team initiative versus individual initiative though. I love xcom2, but a big problem I had with it was the strategy generally boiled down to 'alpha everything down on screen because if they get to act at all it'll suck for you'. I was hoping for more granular initiative.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can someone write, or point me to, a tl;dr summary list of the game's features? The OP isn't very... helpful.

Also, very fun to jump into this thread and people are still complaining about that old timey Baldur's Gate feel. Reminds me the good old Pillars of Eternity beta days. You guys are the best.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Unless there's some major immutable gameplay reason that the initiative is team-based, I could see that being something that they workshop in Early Access. Make sure to hit them up with constructive feedback once it's available.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
<boots up Final Fantasy VII for the first time>

WTF this is nothing like Final Fantasy I what is this horrible garbage?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Megazver posted:

I would also like to point out that the initiative they went with is actually an optional rule in the DMG:

I think it's the mentioned "risk of combats becoming unbalanced" people are sweating, not accuracy to the rules.

If we're talking XCOM (and Larian is, at least): engagements tend to be feast-or-famine for the player, based on what phase pods are activated and how many are activated at once. Under ideal circumstances, you're hitting one group at a time and getting them contained or eliminated completely before they have a chance to retaliate; in less-than-ideal circumstances, you're getting worked over by one or multiple groups spamming explosives, flanking shots, stuns, mind control, etc. When a team gets to take actions at the same time, there's a massive advantage to getting initiative!

The preview footage they showed indicated they're probably going to try and find ways to let the player secure first round advantage in combats, but how many are going to be guaranteed and not based on, say, a skill check that you can fail because the dice didn't roll in your favor, or the usual D:OS jank reared its head and you ended up in combat before you're ready? A big complaint about XCOM is that enemies in fog of war can sometimes feel pretty random and lead to pods being activated in unexpected ways, but you can eventually learn by playing how to recognize unsafe situations and plan accordingly. You can't really factor player skill into a dice roll, and I don't feel I'm getting better at understanding the game through failing to roll higher than a 3 on a d20.

5e not having as many deterministic offensive options as XCOM may help blunt the first round advantage, but I worry that handling initiative in the way they are is just going to lead to frustration and savescumming (or breezing through fights with minimal pushback). It also has some potentially dumb implications for team-building, like having a character whose whole job is Being Fast so everyone else can dump dex or whatever.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Imagine when Michelangelo made the statue of david, many years later the rights-holder having passed on to his family, and then some capitalist pays for the rights to make another one but out of iron and wood and it doesn't look that good but it had gear mechanisms that let it change poses and kick a soccer ball.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Furism posted:

Can someone write, or point me to, a tl;dr summary list of the game's features? The OP isn't very... helpful.

Also, very fun to jump into this thread and people are still complaining about that old timey Baldur's Gate feel. Reminds me the good old Pillars of Eternity beta days. You guys are the best.

That's cuz we don't know many of the game's features beyond like nitty gritty 5th ed rules (which I don't know)

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

So the new Doom games are full of reverence for the originals - in all the demon designs, the music homages, getting rid of reloading as a mechanic

Even if it were done by another studio nobody would play it and think "this isn't doom"

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Volte posted:

Unless there's some major immutable gameplay reason that the initiative is team-based, I could see that being something that they workshop in Early Access. Make sure to hit them up with constructive feedback once it's available.

iirc they ended up with D:OS2's incredibly dumb forced alternating turns from early access feedback. Be careful what you wish for!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

So the new Doom games are full of reverence for the originals - in all the demon designs, the music homages, getting rid of reloading as a mechanic

Even if it were done by another studio nobody would play it and think "this isn't doom"
Can you link me to the build of BG3 you're playing that is causing you to conclude that BG3 does not and will not have of any of these things?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Volte posted:

Can you link me to the build of BG3 you're playing that is causing you to conclude that BG3 is not full of any of these things?

I'm just commenting on the gameplay we've all seen which is what people are discussing??

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

I'm just commenting on the gameplay we've all seen which is what people are discussing??
Most people: Not much to go on, but it looks like it could be promising. It remains to be seen how much this will tie into the previous BG games.

You: This video is proof that they don't care about Baldur's Gate or D&D and just want to trick players into playing D:OS3. There's zero effort involved here, and the game will be nothing more than a Divinity mod.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Imagine when Michelangelo made the statue of david, many years later the rights-holder having passed on to his family, and then some capitalist pays for the rights to make another one but out of iron and wood and it doesn't look that good but it had gear mechanisms that let it change poses and kick a soccer ball.

Is that supposed to not sound awesome?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Like, say what you will about the finished product, but questioning Larian's work ethic or reverence for the source material is a good way to make it obvious you're talking out of your rear end.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The game can only render 5 monsters on screen at once and the level design is way too linear.

Also the game is rendered in full 3D and you can freely look up and down.

Clearly Doom 2016 is not a real Doom game but a chash grab

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

Is that supposed to not sound awesome?

It does sound awesome but it's intention was to facilitate capitalism.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Well, you can in fact copy the statue of david right now and do that if you want to.

It's not like the original one is going anywhere either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Freakazoid_ posted:

It does sound awesome but it's intention was to facilitate capitalism.

I mean, same with the original David.

Michelangelo was an artist and likely viewed the project from an artistic standpoint first and foremost but the city of Florence wasn't paying him for a sick-rear end David statue for no reason.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Maybe I missed it, but is there any reason to believe the player can't start combat with a ranged attack or spell, before the "combat" actually starts? In the playthough, it looked like turn-based combat started when the enemy first saw a party member. So if the player can see most if not all enemies before that happens, the initial initiative roll becomes somewhat less important, no?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Does anyone actually like how Larian does dialogue. It’s mind boggling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Starks posted:

Does anyone actually like how Larian does dialogue. It’s mind boggling to me.

I liked it in OS2 just fine. The BG3 style seemed a bit weird but I'll probably get used to it.