Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Sure I saw it in here and can't find it again but can someone link me to the doctor on youtube who has been doing analysis on this since it started, gradually getting more and more downbeat about the situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOTz9duXwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xaintrailles posted:

You mean this guy?

Hell yeah

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah not true, I did LP right after college and used to physically arrest people. You just have to be 150% sure and accurate, else you're fired right away.

It comes down to certifications and poo poo.

This was like 10+ years ago but i worked at a brand new Lowe's in a small town. We had two Loss Prevention officers on staff who covered all open hours / doubled up during peak time. We were supposed to call them on our little department phones and they watched the cameras 24/7.

A few months later after the theft numbers were basically non-existent they reassigned one of them. Then the other one became part time, working between two stores. Then we never saw him again. At that point all we could do in the store was shrug and call the cops as people walked out with $2000 in air conditioners and generators.

Also stores in some neighborhoods with high crime just have regular cops.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

VikingSkull posted:

it's always a laugh when someone outside the US has the pang of realization that yes, Americans are actually not Europeans with accents

Europeans should really think of americans as Russia Lite more than anything.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Yaldabaoth posted:

Europeans should really think of americans as Russia Lite more than anything.

Really more like proto China.

Standing in line at Costco in Massachusetts. I'd say it's about 50/50 people buying their normal amount and stocking up. I talked to one of the employees, they usually have about 3,400 people on Sundays, she says it's probably gonna double that today.

People next to me are discussing it as well. They're under the impression it thrives in heat.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 1, 2020

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Russians and Chinese have way more respect for their governments than we do but those are pretty close

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Xaintrailles posted:

You mean this guy?

Hello new Twitter av

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes, the coronavirus response has been utter clownshoes
The first government proposal for the returning cruise ship patients was a complete catastrophe.

quote:

“I was shocked,” Anniston Mayor Jack Draper said. “I was shocked by the lack of planning. I was shocked by the manner in which it was presented to us.”

Two HHS officials — Darcie Johnston, director of intergovernmental affairs, and Kevin Yeskey, principal deputy assistant secretary for preparedness and response — said in a Feb. 23 meeting with local officials that the patients would be flown from California to the Fort McClellan Army Airfield in Anniston, according to multiple local officials.

The airfield was closed when the Army base was shuttered in 1999. Local officials said they told the HHS officials during the meeting the runway was in bad shape.
The center has several brick dormitory buildings — behind tall black fencing — where federal officials planned for the patients to live. Federal officials even picked out the building they wanted to use for the first arrivals: Dorm No. 28, local officials said. A team of federal health workers would care for the patients and U.S. marshals would keep them from leaving the quarantine, local officials said they were told.

The dorms normally house emergency responders from around the country.

But the center doesn’t have any special capabilities for handling infectious diseases, local officials said. The center is used for training. It has isolation hospital rooms — located in a former Army hospital building — but they are mostly just props, with fake equipment and light switches that exist only as paint on walls.

Meanwhile, federal officials never contacted the town’s hospital, Regional Medical Center, about handling covid-19 patients, said Louis Bass, the hospital’s chief executive.

Yet HHS officials said in a statement released to the public Feb. 22 that patients who become seriously ill would be sent to “pre-identified hospitals for medical care.”

“We were surprised,” Bass said.

The hospital does have eight negative-pressure isolation rooms, but patients with serious complications would need to be sent to a larger institution, such as Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, 90 miles away, Bass said.

Emory University Hospital did not respond to a question about whether it was told about the HHS plan.

A federal contract for a local ambulance service was secured at the last moment, after HHS had already issued a statement about its plan for Anniston. Details on how to handle other tasks — including patients’ laundry and food — seemed unfinished.

And of course the rumors on the ground about black helicopters and unmarked vans were a big help. Read the whole damned thing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks friend.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

WaffleZombie posted:

I know that Hahnemann closed, but I missed that two hospitals closed. What was the other one? Some googling only brought up another that will close in a couple of months.

Mercy Hospital over in West Philadelphia. They're not fully closed yet but are well on their way; they're closing over time instead of just putting a lock on the doors like Hahnemann did.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I've been saying this in other places but I'll repeat it here; the virus isn't the problem. It's basically a lovely flu (the 2.3% death rate is of known cases but it's certain there are many unknowns). The problem is that, as an American, I recognize that Americans are generally soft, fearful and ignorant people, which means it's easy to set off a panic. Which is what we're seeing.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

UnknownTarget posted:

I've been saying this in other places but I'll repeat it here; the virus isn't the problem. It's basically a lovely flu (the 2.3% death rate is of known cases but it's certain there are many unknowns). The problem is that, as an American, I recognize that Americans are generally soft, fearful and ignorant people, which means it's easy to set off a panic. Which is what we're seeing.

Americans are also subject to our garbage work culture (lack of sick time at work etc) and garbage for-profit healthcare system. Like I'm not worried about dying from this disease but I am worried about getting pneumonia and going bankrupt over it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

UnknownTarget posted:

The problem is that, as an American, I recognize that Americans are generally soft, fearful and ignorant people, which means it's easy to set off a panic.

I'll jump on American culture enthusiastically, but people are angry and upset all over the world. Officials in a small village in China just forced villagers to drink disinfectant. (Cite here; scroll down.) They closed the Louvre. The Tokyo marathon was run with a few hundred contestants. This is not just a lovely flu.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

UnknownTarget posted:

Yeah like I said a few pages back- a huge chunk of America's economy and culture is based on fear.
Live in a bad area? Get a gun.
Live in a bougie area but get Amazon delivered? Get a porch camera.

I could riff examples all day, and that's not even touching the entire-garbage-dump fire that is our healthcare system.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

imagine not raw dogging during the apocalypse

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Anyone else see this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/fayko1/my_covid19_story_brooklyn

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

its on reddit so no

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, the coronavirus response has been utter clownshoes
The first government proposal for the returning cruise ship patients was a complete catastrophe.

And of course the rumors on the ground about black helicopters and unmarked vans were a big help. Read the whole damned thing.

Lmao watch US gently caress this up even worse than China :allears:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Yeah it's pretty consistent with the whole thing about testing guidelines in the US being garbage so lots of potential cases went untested.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I mean I get the US hate on this website but it's worth pointing out that the US was one of the first places outside of China to get the virus and unlike places like Italy, Japan, etc it hasn't gone spectacularly out of control here yet

it might do that, but I'd rather be here than some other places

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

I mean I get the US hate on this website but it's worth pointing out that the US was one of the first places outside of China to get the virus and unlike places like Italy, Japan, etc it hasn't gone spectacularly out of control here yet

It's already out of control everywhere. We're just not seeing the numbers yet. Where you'd rather be is where you can get the best treatment. Which granted is also the US if you can pay. That's a big if for some people though.

e: Like seriously the second we had a case confirmed in a big european airport, all largescale quarantine efforts became totally useless. It's about treatment and vaccine research now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

VikingSkull posted:

It is already out of control. The reports have made that clear.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm just here for cessation of life as we know it, deaths of millions, complete apocalypse, no hatin'.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
well I have great insurance so :rip: y'all I guess

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Lol at all these people stock piling but also not having a gun because guns are bad mkay

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

bomb posted:

Lol at all these people stock piling but also not having a gun because guns are bad mkay

Are you gonna shoot the virus

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Trip Report: Hit the local grocery store early this morning for my usual weekly shopping in hopes to beat the rush of panic buyers. Looks like the store got hammered yesterday.

Pinto beans- none
Rice- only the fancy boutique poo poo and instant packs of uncle ben's left
Hydrogen peroxide- none
Sanitizing gel- none
Toilet paper- not much left
Produce took a beating but at least there weren't any empty shelves like we see when it snows

Grabbed a couple extra cans of chili to add to the 2 weeks stock I keep :smuggo:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Here is a thought:

9/11 basically ruined america. One terrorist attack changed our country forever out of fear. This will be a lot worse than 9/11 in terms of casualties, and we will live stream the whole thing at an unprecedented level.

I think looking at it from that point of view is kind of scary. The immediate and long term effects will either unify us to survive and get our poo poo together or push us farther apart as a nation than ever before. Both political parties are already letting it become a big wedge rather than saying "hey, this is bigger than both of us so let's work together".

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

peak debt posted:

Are you gonna shoot the virus

Nah but the people with guns will shoot me for my tp in whatever doomsday scenario people are prepping for

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IDK live streaming someone coughing a lot doesn't seem as click worthy as a terrorist attack

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

vandalism posted:

Here is a thought:

9/11 basically ruined america. One terrorist attack changed our country forever out of fear. This will be a lot worse than 9/11 in terms of casualties, and we will live stream the whole thing at an unprecedented level.

I think looking at it from that point of view is kind of scary. The immediate and long term effects will either unify us to survive and get our poo poo together or push us farther apart as a nation than ever before. Both political parties are already letting it become a big wedge rather than saying "hey, this is bigger than both of us so let's work together".

This is not going to be significant enough to destroy America or become politically devisive in the same way.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
The opioid crisis is literally a 9/11 every three weeks and nobody gives a gently caress either.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

FTR, No, this is not just a lovely flu.

People think they won't be involved in the opioid epidemic because it's bad people who get involved, not good people like them. See also the response to AIDS. By contrast, it's hard to see how being Us rather than Them is protective against an airborne virus. Furthermore, coronavirus is not a slow burn like heart disease or lung cancer where you can say "won't have to worry about that for a long time".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

vandalism posted:

Here is a thought:

What do you expect the death toll to be in the USA?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

What do you expect the death toll to be in the USA?

I'll take this. It's 1,636,000.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Nurge posted:

I'll take this. It's 1,636,000.

4,206,969 to 6,969,420

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's this

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

bomb posted:

As I recall, the usual reaction to crises is for people to take care of each other, not go feral and attacking the house next door for its treasured catfood. I suppose if this causes the Fall of Civilization and every country to become a failed state, you can enjoy having gunfights with your fellow preppers or possibly the house next door.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

vandalism posted:

Both political parties are already letting it become a big wedge rather than saying "hey, this is bigger than both of us so let's work together".

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crystal Ghost
Sep 5, 2019
how does one "work" with a psychotic?