Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sarchasm posted:

I decided to answer my own question and look up new horror releases hitting theaters in the next couple months. If this has value for other folks I might make this a regular thing? Maybe? Let me know if this is helpful at all and if I missed anything interesting be sure to post it!

I'd really appreciate being reminded of what horror movies are coming up, so I'd personally vote for you to keep doing this.

I'm super excited to see Saint Maude, it looks super unnerving and A24 has a great track record of hits. The self mutilation scene from the trailer where she puts nails in her shoe actually made my stomach drop a little the first time I saw it. Just something about the way it was shot really got to me, and I suspect the film is going to be full of stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

married but discreet posted:

That reminds me of the kid walking out of Mandy, with his parents, stating how Mandy had "stolen it's aesthetic from Far Cry: Blood Dragon"

that kid's obviously wrong but he's thinking in the right framework which will do him much more good in the long run

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It's pretty funny that Quiet Place 2's hook is that humans are also monsters. Christ.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quiet place might be the most overrated horror movie in as long as I can remember. I don’t hate it or anything but Christ it’s so middle of the road.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Antlers - April 17
https://letterboxd.com/film/antlers/
Official Synopsis: A young teacher discovers that her troubled student’s father and younger brother harbor a deadly supernatural secret. Taking the boy into her care, the teacher must fight for their survival against horrors beyond imagination.
Unwanted Editorial: I don't know much about this one, but the trailer is kinda cool. Might wait for opinions before I commit to a ticket.

The short story it's based on is available on YouTube as a fanmade audiobook if you want to get an idea for the events of the story

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I watched Housebound again and I love how it inverts just about every single thing in the haunted house genre and ends up such a crazy rollercoaster ride.

The haunting can't be real, skeptics everywhere, increasingly unlikely explanations about what is going on?
None of that, everyone is on board the second the mom mentions ghosts.

A terrified victim, scared out of her wits?
No, just stab, bash and punch every thing that tries to get her, ghost or no ghost.

Some vague excuse why you can't leave the house?
Ankle monitor be damned, she is out of there.

And finally, bam, those really unlikely explanations about how it couldn't be supernatural are right.
It is actually someone living in the walls of the house.

The biggest struggle Kylie faces is to get people to see past the murder in the old house, instead of accepting it.

Tarnop posted:

Now there's a man who should be in more horror movies. He was scarily intense in Take Shelter, and I'd love to see him in a good, modern, straight up horror

I can recommend Frank & Lola if you want a scary, intense Michael Shannon.
That movie deserves more attention.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

veni veni veni posted:

Quiet place might be the most overrated horror movie in as long as I can remember. I don’t hate it or anything but Christ it’s so middle of the road.

Right there with you. Maybe it requires viewing opening night in the theaters but when I finally watched it I couldn’t believe that was what everyone was going nuts for. Every set piece has an insanely contrived setup so the exact same things can happen.

I thought I heard two is a prequel? Should be dumb fun to see how they decide a bunch of blind demogorgons took over the world or whatever.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I just saw a trailer for The Hunt before Invisible Man and....did they radically shift the plot or something? The trailer now seems to be implying that the entire Hunt aspect is a hoax?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Extra Ordinary is a very sweet horror comedy. :3:

I think it's good but there is a bit of a tonal clash between the parts with Maeve Higgins and Barry Ward and the parts with Will Forte and Claudia O'Doherty. The first is a sweet romantic comedy that happens to have some ghosts in it, the other is a really silly and over the top horror/comedy. I liked both a lot but I thought they didn't quite gel with each other. It's quite funny though and definitely worth checking out.

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's a decent thriller that completely falls apart when you start to think about it at all. It was a really great theater experience though.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

The good poo poo

Thanks for this. It's really useful and helps me not sleep on stuff. This thread moves way too fast for my occasional check-ins

Regarding Antebellum, it looks like a loose adaptation of one of the great American novels, Octavia Butler's Kindred.

I really hope it keeps the complexity and ambiguity of that book's themes rather than going straight horror. With more existential stuff like Hereditary coming out recently, I'm hoping it works out. Cautiously optimistic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I just saw a trailer for The Hunt before Invisible Man and....did they radically shift the plot or something? The trailer now seems to be implying that the entire Hunt aspect is a hoax?

IIRC this was always the movie's plot.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

OpenSourceBurger posted:

The first trailer released way back was edited to look exactly as if it's wealthy liberals going after poor 'deplorables' which pretty much guaranteed plenty of free press and retweets, the recent trailer throws in the element of doubt and a new marketing angle of 'Here's the most talked about movie no one's seen'.

Nothing's been said that I've seen about any reshoots or re-edits so it's pretty much a marketing gimmick to get more people in to see what'd probably last a couple weeks at best in the theaters film.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

BioTech posted:

I watched Housebound again and I love how it inverts just about every single thing in the haunted house genre and ends up such a crazy rollercoaster ride.

God, Housebound was so much fun.

Saw The Invisible Man last night. It was definitely good, but I wasn't super blown away. That said, I did see it after entirely too much day drinking, so my brain was basically pudding. I'll probably go see it again one day this week to get a second opinion.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quiet Place in a theater on opening night was great. It made me scared of every sound I heard for the rest of the night. I'm definitely gonna go see the second one, though at best it'll probably just be more of the same, which I'm fine with.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 2, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think there's room to argue that A Quiet Place worked so well because it brought sound design to the audience's attention for the first time. Like editing, it's one of the quintessential characteristics that makes film unique that barely anyone notices until it's gone or is bad/incredibly well-done. I think the only other mainstream film I heard people compliment the sound design on regularly was Dunkirk, but I never saw that, so I can't be sure on how that adds to my argument.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sarchasm posted:

Antlers - April 17
https://letterboxd.com/film/antlers/
Official Synopsis: A young teacher discovers that her troubled student’s father and younger brother harbor a deadly supernatural secret. Taking the boy into her care, the teacher must fight for their survival against horrors beyond imagination.
Unwanted Editorial: I don't know much about this one, but the trailer is kinda cool. Might wait for opinions before I commit to a ticket.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Antlers looks interesting, I'm curious to see what take on the Wendigo they go with.

It's based on the short story "The Quiet Boy" which is super mega good in my opinion https://www.guernicamag.com/the-quiet-boy/

I haven't read it in a long time but I don't remember it being a wendigo story per se.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

It's based on the short story "The Quiet Boy" which is super mega good in my opinion https://www.guernicamag.com/the-quiet-boy/

I haven't read it in a long time but I don't remember it being a wendigo story per se.

I was going off the trailer since I've never read the story.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

I was going off the trailer since I've never read the story.

Not correcting you! Just sharing my own remembrance of the story. The movie may go in a different direction anyway :shrug:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Not correcting you! Just sharing my own remembrance of the story. The movie may go in a different direction anyway :shrug:

I just finished the story you linked. Movie's just gone up to 'I gotta see this'.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Deerskin - March 20
https://letterboxd.com/film/deerskin/
Official Synopsis: A man who becomes obsessed with owning the designer deerskin jacket of his dreams. This obsession will lead him to turn his back on his humdrum life in the suburbs, blow his life savings and even turn him to crime.
Unwanted Editorial: Directed by Quentin Dupieux (Rubber), so I suspect this one will have folks divided.

I seem to have the exact same sense of humor as Quentin Dupieux and I thought this was the funniest movie I saw last year. It's so insane but YMMV.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

I just finished the story you linked. Movie's just gone up to 'I gotta see this'.

Right??? It's one of my most anticipated of the year now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Sarchasm posted:

I decided to answer my own question and look up new horror releases hitting theaters in the next couple months. If this has value for other folks I might make this a regular thing? Maybe? Let me know if this is helpful at all and if I missed anything interesting be sure to post it!

this post is great, thank you! I will honestly probably end up going to see all of these (or at least all that end up playing near me), I've gotten into the habit of going to Saturday matinees while my girlfriend works in her art studio

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah, I read the short story a few months back when I first saw people talking about Antlers. I'd sorta forgotten about it up until a few weeks back when I saw the first trailer and now I'm hype all over again. Actually just sent the short story to a friend so she can get hype too, so thanks for the link COOL CORN

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

M_Sinistrari posted:

The first trailer released way back was edited to look exactly as if it's wealthy liberals going after poor 'deplorables' which pretty much guaranteed plenty of free press and retweets, the recent trailer throws in the element of doubt and a new marketing angle of 'Here's the most talked about movie no one's seen'.

Nothing's been said that I've seen about any reshoots or re-edits so it's pretty much a marketing gimmick to get more people in to see what'd probably last a couple weeks at best in the theaters film.

I still don't think either of these is a marketing gimmick. The first trailer just didn't feel like spoiling the movie's twist, and this new one is just going "Hey, this isn't the movie dipshit pundits said it was".

Considering the movie got de facto removed from theaters by the president freaking out about something Alex Jones said, it seems fair to clarify that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The weird thing is that the Trump uproar that got it buried was that somehow the wealthy liberals murdering blue collar deplorables was making the MAGA people the bad guys. Because the right doesn't understand basic context.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't think either of these is a marketing gimmick. The first trailer just didn't feel like spoiling the movie's twist, and this new one is just going "Hey, this isn't the movie dipshit pundits said it was".

Considering the movie got de facto removed from theaters by the president freaking out about something Alex Jones said, it seems fair to clarify that.

It's like a revamp of the old 'send shills to the various forums to drum up hype' marketing gimmick. This time it's throw together a trailer that you know's going to set people off in the current social climate, toss out a few tweets that'll get retweeted around and boom-publicity. Just look at how much the new poster's slathered with quoted comments compared to before. Without question, marketing gimmick.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

The weird thing is that the Trump uproar that got it buried was that somehow the wealthy liberals murdering blue collar deplorables was making the MAGA people the bad guys. Because the right doesn't understand basic context.

reminder that like 100% of all christian faith films include a non beliving character being punished in a very severe way

such as the athiest teacher being hit and killed by a car in God's Not Dead and the loose woman in that Tyler Perry movie being diagnosed with AIDS

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the tails reveal at the end of sonic would have been much cooler if they had shadow

sonic 2 the sequel to downrange a horrific tale of gunviolence starring shadow

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The only thing I didn't like about Invisible Man was I didn't care for the fake out with the brother having it end like that right there in the hallway would have been fine. I just thought the twist wasn't really interesting

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Invisible Man was I didn't care for the fake out with the brother having it end like that right there in the hallway would have been fine. I just thought the twist wasn't really interesting

I agree, I don't think it added anything and I thought Adrian's death was not as poetic as it could've been. Also for this supposed super genius to be taken in by that obvious ruse didn't track for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I agree, I don't think it added anything and I would've preferred if Adrian's death was not as poetic as it could've been. Also for this supposed super genius to be taken in by that obvious ruse didn't track for me.

his interaction with her at the mental institution does not really make any sense him jumping in the care and speeding off to the house make no sense. Like uh why again is the brother ready to murder without hesitation at the drop of a hat again?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I didn't love that either, but I don't feel like it ruined the movie or anything.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

his interaction with her at the mental institution does not really make any sense him jumping in the care and speeding off to the house make no sense. Like uh why again is the brother ready to murder without hesitation at the drop of a hat again?

Because his invisible brother will ruin his life if he doesn’t help ruin C’s. He says so multiple times that he was controlled by his brother just like she was.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Because his invisible brother will ruin his life if he doesn’t help ruin C’s. He says so multiple times that he was controlled by his brother just like she was.

No I mean specifically him taunting the guards and her at the ambulance. It doesn't just make sense to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hail him for he is coming

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In time...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hail me

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Y’all weren’t joking about Bride of Reanimator. It’s bonkers.

Yuzna knows how to do good follow-ups. One of those directors that figures out what works from the first and delivers a solid continuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Honestly, in regards to The Invisible Man: I didn't really like the twist either and would have been fine with the movie ending with Adrian just getting shot instead of his brother. That scene felt like the climax of the film. Still a good movie, still recommend seeing it, but if it had ended about 10 minutes earlier not much would have been lost.