Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

CubanMissile posted:

What's the best kind of bit to drill a clean hole through a desk? I would use a hole saw but it chews up the veneer around the hole really bad.

They make bits for that, but the easiest way is to clamp a sacrifice piece of wood on the veneer side. This greatly reduces blowout. Then just lightly sand the edge if needed.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Koskun posted:

Them make bits for that, but the easiest way is to clamp a sacrafice piece of wood on the veneer side. This greatly reduces blowout. Then just lightly sand the edge if needed.
That + drill from both sides and make them meet halfway (if you want the underside to not get that drillhole "pop" breakaway chip.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Putting down tape also helps a lot.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Note to self: read the thread.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Zedd posted:

That + drill from both sides and make them meet halfway (if you want the underside to not get that drillhole "pop" breakaway chip.)

First though drill all the way through with a much smaller bit, so you can center align. Otherwise you could end up with a figure 8 and not a nice clean hole.

And you can also just clamp another sacrifice piece on the underside. Tape can sometimes work as well, but that is for smaller holes. Something like a hole saw, which you can get with fine teeth, are just very aggressive and tape wouldn't hold back much at all.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Get one of these and use whatever makes a halfway decent 2" hole:

https://www.amazon.com/Grommet-Plastic-Organizers-Computer-Insert/dp/B07MJQP38Q

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

What's the best kind of bit to drill a clean hole through a desk? I would use a hole saw but it chews up the veneer around the hole really bad.

CubanMissile posted:

What's the best kind of bit to drill a clean hole through a desk? I would use a hole saw but it chews up the veneer around t

[quote="CubanMissile" post="502824259"]

How big of a hole?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Dielectric posted:

Get one of these and use whatever makes a halfway decent 2" hole:

https://www.amazon.com/Grommet-Plastic-Organizers-Computer-Insert/dp/B07MJQP38Q

Depends on the material the desk is made out of, how good the veneer is, what type of bit, and any prevention to blowout used. I've seen chunks 2" long be taken out of a piece of wood. The lip on those grommet's isn't going to cover that.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll go with the sacrifice wood probably.

ColHannibal posted:

How big of a hole?

One big enough for a grommet like Dielectric posted.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit. gently caress. B.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone ever use a monitor stand like this? I'm debating between something like that and something more basic like this for lifting my monitors up a bit more. (Got them stacked on some textbooks for the moment)

I have some monitor arms at work - but it's a separate arm for each monitor. The ones I have at work feel very easy to bump out of position and hard to get "quite right" as silly as that might sound. Having a cat who loves to rub his face on the corner of my monitor also makes me consider something more fixed.

The arm solution I linked certainly looks more elegant and would free up space under the monitor, though I'm curious how well the design works - it feels like it could easily get front-heavy.

e: Oh, apparently its on amazon for much cheaper, and there's a ton of designs like it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i like the kind that are very similar to that but clamp to your desk instead of having a base because they save even more space and "feel" sturdier. Mine always looks like it's leaning a bit forward but that may be the ever-shifting foundation in my house or possibly a spell of vertigo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I was consider clamp or non-clamp, but my desk is pretty deep so it could cause problems for positioning the arms, and the surface is pretty thin (2cm) so I'm a little iffy on how well that will take to a clamp, particularly one holding two monitors.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone ever use a monitor stand like this? I'm debating between something like that and something more basic like this for lifting my monitors up a bit more. (Got them stacked on some textbooks for the moment)

I have some monitor arms at work - but it's a separate arm for each monitor. The ones I have at work feel very easy to bump out of position and hard to get "quite right" as silly as that might sound. Having a cat who loves to rub his face on the corner of my monitor also makes me consider something more fixed.

The arm solution I linked certainly looks more elegant and would free up space under the monitor, though I'm curious how well the design works - it feels like it could easily get front-heavy.

e: Oh, apparently its on amazon for much cheaper, and there's a ton of designs like it.

Yes, I have one of that style dual monitor stands at home, and use a riser for a dual monitor setup at work.

I like that style dual monitor stand if you're not going to want to move your monitors around much. Also, depending on your size of monitor, you may need more clearance behind the stand for the arms, so keep that in mind.

If you want something a bit sturdier, and just want two monitors, side by side, I'd go for one of this style, where the arms don't bend in the middle: staples.ca/products/2906071-en-startech-armbarduo-dual-monitor-desktop-stand

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I have both, a stand at work and a clamp at home. I prefer the clamp style, mainly due the clean look of it and freeing up tons of space, but it's clamped to a 1" thick butcher block table so it's fairly sturdy. At work, the stand does take up a bit of space, but much less than the space of 3 (or in your case 2) stands worth of monitors. Articulation becomes impossible, so if you're someone who wants/needs to move monitors, you're going to have to spend on getting a setup that can be yanked around. Overall, if you have more than 1 monitor, getting a stand/arm solution is great.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Personally I'd go with 2 single arm adjustable clamp stands.

If you ever change monitors, you can easily swap out one monitor and shuffle around to make/adjust to the new space. Using a double mount/single post stand, you can be pretty limited to the size of monitors you use. For example, if you get a 32" ultrawide, it will eat up a double stand in a heartbeat (and mine barely fit 2 27" monitors as it was).

As to clamping to a thin desktop, well just beef it up a bit. A scrap piece of 2x4, say a foot long or so, would be more than enough to clamp to, and would greatly reduce the strain on your desktop. 2cm, is it glass by chance? If so you would want to pad the top so as to not risk ruining the glass. An old mouse pad, I'd double it should fit that bill easily.

I'd wager the reason the arms at your work wobble is because they are cheap and/or old arms. I went through 3 different arms before I found one that was drat near rock solid. As to the cat, well, that's a cat thing, I've learned to live with it.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I use one of the cheap-o dual monitor arm for 2 monitors I don't move a lot, and it's a massive improvement for me compared to just using riser stands, because of the amount of desk space it frees up. Seriously, you get like half of your desk back, so nice. They also have adjustable bolts for different weight. (You tighten the bolt it increases the tension/resistance whatever) I have a heavy rear end monitor that did periodically tilt, until I really got in there and tightened it up. Since then, no issues. They also often have a maximum load in the specs as well, if you're still concerned. As long as you stay under that it should be fine. Haven't had a cat since I started using this setup though, so can't say if they'd screw it up (Probably), but I don't think it'd be an issue to nudge it back into position.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I made this when I moved to a new flat and couldn't bring my old desk with me in the car. It's an IKEA shelf and some random legs I found in IKEA, I think they're intended for kitchen units. I tied my soundbar underneath and there's enough space to put the keyboard there so I can have most of the desk free to do stuff on.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I want one of those smaller soundbars for work, but they're rarer than hen's teeth here :smith:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wibla posted:

I want one of those smaller soundbars for work, but they're rarer than hen's teeth here :smith:

Just get some good computer speakers or a a single stereo unit? I'd recommend the Audioengine B2.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just get some good computer speakers or a a single stereo unit? I'd recommend the Audioengine B2.

200 bucks for a speaker? That seems a little much.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Asymmetric setup, and I don't want to spend too much at this point :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Koskun posted:

:psyduck:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Wibla posted:

This is the soundbar I have. It's not really that small, but the sound quality is way better than every lovely USB soundbar I tried and sent back. It's plenty loud for the flat I live in now. I miss being in a house where I could use my 5.1 system at a decent volume.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just finished a full basement renovation and moved my office down there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Photex posted:

I'm the "gently caress I shoulda got more drawers" a few weeks from now.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm the "gently caress I shoulda got more drawers" a few weeks from now.

I've never had a need for drawers so this is actually +3 drawers for me

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Photex posted:

Photex, are you aware that you are a cat?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

IUG posted:

Photex, are you aware that you are a cat?

Meow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Photex posted:

I've never had a need for drawers so this is actually +3 drawers for me

Where do you keep your milks and other snacks :confused:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where do you keep your milks and other snacks :confused:

in the balls, duh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Koskun posted:

:psyduck:

My PC speaker setup at home is easily north of $1000, but for work I just need something marginally better than built-in monitor speakers since I can't crank it much anyways.

Budgie posted:

This is the soundbar I have. It's not really that small, but the sound quality is way better than every lovely USB soundbar I tried and sent back. It's plenty loud for the flat I live in now. I miss being in a house where I could use my 5.1 system at a decent volume.

This really fits the bill, but of course I can't get it in :norway: ... might have to bribe my cousin into bringing one with her the next time she flies home, heh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wibla posted:

My PC speaker setup at home is easily north of $1000, but for work I just need something marginally better than built-in monitor speakers since I can't crank it much anyways.

This really fits the bill, but of course I can't get it in :norway: ... might have to bribe my cousin into bringing one with her the next time she flies home, heh.

I would get something like an Anker soundcore bluetooth speaker then. I have one that I really like. It'll fill a quiet lab with music at a decent level. Doesn't sound like you need battery power but there aren't really better alternatives these days that come in a single bar form factor like that that aren't bigger soundbars for use with TVs or cost more than you want to spend. At $30-40, if you keep it plugged in will you notice it has a battery?

If you wanted to go with 2.0 or 2.1 speakers you'd have a lot more options but you say you want a soundbar...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I would get something like an Anker soundcore bluetooth speaker then. I have one that I really like. It'll fill a quiet lab with music at a decent level. Doesn't sound like you need battery power but there aren't really better alternatives these days that come in a single bar form factor like that that aren't bigger soundbars for use with TVs or cost more than you want to spend. At $30-40, if you keep it plugged in will you notice it has a battery?

If you wanted to go with 2.0 or 2.1 speakers you'd have a lot more options but you say you want a soundbar...

Hey, that might fit the bill perfectly :toot:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Photex posted:

What desk is that

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sweet what clock is that

Parachute
May 18, 2003
thats a nice adult setup cat poster

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Desk is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731ZNG7Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 one, it was fairly easy to setup except for the drawers..those were kind of a pain in the butt.

The LED Ticker is from http://ledtickers.com/. It has a custom API so i'm working on getting CSGO scores from HLTV onto it but that'll be another day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Photex posted:

The Desk is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731ZNG7Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 one, it was fairly easy to setup except for the drawers..those were kind of a pain in the butt.

The LED Ticker is from http://ledtickers.com/. It has a custom API so i'm working on getting CSGO scores from HLTV onto it but that'll be another day.

too bad there's nothing better to do about the power supply. It's the one thing that bugs me about it, otherwise I'd be all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

too bad there's nothing better to do about the power supply. It's the one thing that bugs me about it, otherwise I'd be all over it.

I've been asking around and I have a couple of options, when I bought it i thought the power supply would come out the rear hence the recessed outlet.

I have power inside the drop ceiling for a projector not too far away so I might toss it up there, the other option is to mount a board right above the outlet and fur it out 2-3 inches and just velcro the powersupply behind it