Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

tensorflow my tears, the policeman said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if google cared, they’d apply extra scrutiny to app submissions that request permissions like that.

and maybe provide a way for security sensitive apps to require a conscious “yes I want to allow cindy crash saga to read the screen on google authenticator”, which people would obviously still just accept without thinking but at least it would be another red flag for them to ignore

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They're starting to tighten up some of the permission nonsense in newer versions, but for backwards compatability you only get the behavior of whatever android version the app's targetSDK is set to. Also android's whole system assumes every app goes through the play store, because that's the only place a minimum targetSDK is enforced for apps. Apps from anywhere else can just keep targetting whatever old version to abuse poo poo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

The feature enabling theft of device’s screen lock credentials (PIN and lock pattern) is powered by a simple overlay that will require the victim to unlock the device. From the implementation of the RAT we can conclude that this screen-lock credential theft was built in order for the actors to be able to remotely unlock the device in order to perform fraud when the victim is not using the device. This once more shows the creativity of criminals to build the right tools to be successful.

Abusing the Accessibility privileges, the Trojan can now also steal 2FA codes from Google Authenticator application. When the app is running, the Trojan can get the content of the interface and can send it to the C2 server. Once again, we can deduce that this functionality will be used to bypass authentication services that rely on OTP codes.

:frog:

This is some amateur hour stuff. It relies on the user specifically giving it access.

I mean, it's been a month or so, so I guess we're due for someone to breathlessly post a "if you give a trojan access to your device it might steal your money! LOL ANROID" but I'm still disappointed by it every time.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Volmarias posted:

I mean, it's been a month or so, so I guess we're due for someone to breathlessly post a "if you give a trojan access to your device it might steal your money! LOL ANROID" but I'm still disappointed by it every time.

lol okay

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
choice quotes from a rookie product manager today:

quote:

we'd like to tell our sales teams that "security == enterprise-only"

some people should probably should not be in charge of product direction for gateway applications that run at the network edge :negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what does that even mean?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
effectively, that our sales reps have trouble closing deals because the FLOSS version of the product is good enough for most users

... and that the solution to this conundrum is to intentionally withhold security improvements from the open source codebase

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Lutha Mahtin posted:

also, over the years a lot of legitimate apps have abused the accessibility APIs on android because it was the only way to create certain features, or it was the only way to allow users not on the latest android OS to still get the new feature you've been hyping up in your app's new update. this has trained many android users to not care that apps want to do screen-scraping because "oh that's the same feature that makes it so my (legitimate) password manager can function"

making a big assumption here that people (1) look at and (2) remember what permissions they granted to previous apps

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

effectively, that our sales reps have trouble closing deals because the FLOSS version of the product is good enough for most users

... and that the solution to this conundrum is to intentionally withhold security improvements from the open source codebase

Ah, the elasticsearch model

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ghostcat-bug-impacts-all-apache-tomcat-versions-released-in-the-last-13-years/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol tomcat

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

That’s overselling it a bit, isn’t it? AJP works as advertised. Exposing it on all interfaces is a bit 10 years ago, but if your firewall exposes port 8009 you deserve a little exploit.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/1233796482509217794

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wish there was more info in their write-up than "oh yeah turned out there were 5 more APTs there too"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

girlfriend was swearing in the basement trying to set up an Xbox 360 for her kid’s birthday party when I left, but she sorted it all out

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

didn't they have a 16 character issue that they ignored for legacy products

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That 360 password length problem has existed since before the Xbox One at the very least, and the 360 doesn't support any 2fa so you have to use an app password now.

The PS4 also only supports sms 2fa, so console gaming is fun all around I guess.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

just another day for mobiles

https://twitter.com/awesomonster/status/1085004469878718464
https://twitter.com/LilDogMeat/status/1085436597510623232

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

klafbang posted:

That’s overselling it a bit, isn’t it? AJP works as advertised. Exposing it on all interfaces is a bit 10 years ago, but if your firewall exposes port 8009 you deserve a little exploit.

i just told my wife about it cuz they use tomcat at her job and i was like "well as long as you don't have port 8009 open to the internet it should be fine" and she's like "oh yeah we do lol" :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

klafbang posted:

I guess, but the reverse-engineered documentation says

quote:

What about authentication? There doesn't seem to be any authentication of the connection between the web server and the container. This strikes me as potentially dangerous.

which seems like a meaningful flaw in a protocol that's being deployed in 2020, and indeed the tomcat updates add a shared secret to authenticate with. If AJP were just doing what it was supposed to, then the same attack would be possible over the HTTP connector, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So with this Cerberus thing stealing 2FA codes via accessibility screen capture (ZDNet Zero Day, e.g.), is there any mitigation that one can recommend other than "understand the significance of all Android permission requests"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

So with this Cerberus thing stealing 2FA codes via accessibility screen capture (ZDNet Zero Day, e.g.), is there any mitigation that one can recommend other than "understand the significance of all Android permission requests"?

That and "stop using Android you idiot"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

"Don't install something called 'Free Flash Player' from outside the play store that asks you to enable it as an accessibility aid, in fact never turn off the switch that lets you install untrusted apps"

Maybe don't let that free flashlight app have access to your location or your contacts either????????

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

"Don't install something called 'Free Flash Player' from outside the play store that asks you to enable it as an accessibility aid, in fact never turn off the switch that lets you install untrusted apps"

Maybe don't let that free flashlight app have access to your location or your contacts either????????

Ah, OK, I didn't know that the Play Store would prevent things that abused accessibility in this way from being deployed. That's easy to explain to people.

Why does the Play Store let the free flashlight app ask for location access if it's not reasonable for the user to permit it?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

because there is no one checking on that
it would cost money to hire people to review app permissions

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, OK, I didn't know that the Play Store would prevent things that abused accessibility in this way from being deployed. That's easy to explain to people.

Why does the Play Store let the free flashlight app ask for location access if it's not reasonable for the user to permit it?

It doesn't prevent you altogether from putting an app up that abuses APIs since it's not curated, but it does scan for malware along with some more common likely to be garbage stuff.

You still have flashlight apps requesting location info for ads, basically, and while they're tightening up on this they could stand to go a lot further a lot faster imo. Not having a gate keeper was a massive differentiating feature a decade ago but at this point I think having manual review for certain kinds of apps would be helpful.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 2, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

It doesn't prevent you altogether from putting an app up that abuses APIs since it's not curated, but it does scan for malware along with some more common likely to be garbage stuff.

OK, so what should I tell people to do then? It seems like "don't grant accessibility permissions" is the closest thing that would actually prevent this class of attack (which then uses those permissions to disable the Play Protect stuff, natch), but that's not very easy to explain to people. Certainly not as easy as "only install from the Play Store", so you got my hopes up!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

OK, so what should I tell people to do then? It seems like "don't grant accessibility permissions" is the closest thing that would actually prevent this class of attack (which then uses those permissions to disable the Play Protect stuff, natch), but that's not very easy to explain to people. Certainly not as easy as "only install from the Play Store", so you got my hopes up!

If it's not on the play store, and it's not something you're developing or building yourself, it's probably malware. Definitely tell people to only get it from Play or Amazon, and tell them to think about why an app needs certain permissions, especially ones that take you out of the app.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Basically, if they suddenly land on a page telling them to install something they weren't expecting, don't, no matter how interesting it seems. Same advice you'd give for iframe based ad site redirects that tell you you've won a free iPad.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
does android not have a built in flashlight feature?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

other than app whitelisting/blacklisting I don’t think even android’s emm/mdm lets you restrict that permission

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chris Knight posted:

it does, but i wouldnt be surprised if a carrier removed it so they could install their own ad laden one

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Volmarias posted:

If it's not on the play store, and it's not something you're developing or building yourself, it's probably malware. Definitely tell people to only get it from Play or Amazon, and tell them to think about why an app needs certain permissions, especially ones that take you out of the app.

that reminds me: is Epic still having people side-load Fortnight to get around Play store fees?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"think about why an app needs permissions"

oh yea

cracked that nut, gj

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Chris Knight posted:

it didn't get one until version 5 (ctrl-f flashlight on this page) so ~10% of android devices in the wild don't have it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Mr.Radar posted:

it didn't get one until version 5 (ctrl-f flashlight on this page) so ~10% of android devices in the wild don't have it.

android is such a fuckin disaster lmao

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Granting accessibility requires a lot of clicks through UI that's clearly marked accessibility.

"Dont grant accessibility regardless of the pitch" is a good thing to say.

Only install from the play store is in practice the simplest, the numbers of bad there are still less than any other machine they own.

e: this thread still doesn't know much about mobile anything :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

stealing credentials is illegal (and bad for the google #brand) while tracking location is merely sleazy, and both cost money to enforce.
the accessibility options are also much more of a pain to obtain device-side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.