Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean among goon diagnoses. People who absolutely did not have it saying whatever the last random illness they had was "probably" this

I had a beer too many on Saturday and felt really groggy and had a mild headache on Sunday so I've bought 400 reams of toilet paper, a bunch of canned chilli and started a new Witcher III save to ride this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Soooo the numbers of deaths as compared to confirmed cases in the US would seem to mean that there are a TON of undiagnosed cases out there...

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
4 more people died in Washington State according to CNN

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bardeh posted:

Soooo the numbers of deaths as compared to confirmed cases in the US would seem to mean that there are a TON of undiagnosed cases out there...
Absolutely. We are not doing nearly enough testing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bardeh posted:

That's what the gene sequencing of one of the Washington cases suggests. Based on mutation speed, it's been in Washington for at least six weeks. Tends to suggest that there are a lot of mild cases, not just the catastrophic ones.

In other news, there's been a case announced in my county i'm going to diiiiiieee

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtulL3oArQw

it's a pretty good song

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
All the US deaths still older people?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rinkles posted:

So far.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's what the gene sequencing of one of the Washington cases suggests. Based on mutation speed, it's been in Washington for at least six weeks. Tends to suggest that there are a lot of mild cases, not just the catastrophic ones.

That's what I read too, Washington state has had it for a long time. Six weeks put roughly around the complete lock down of Wuhan iirc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rinkles posted:

Specifics not announced but people in long term nursing, so probably.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In other news, there's been a case announced in my county i'm going to diiiiiieee

Six weeks with unchecked doubling (since no real measures were in place) could mean 2^12= 4096 cases in Washington, assuming starting with one case six weeks ago, no other incoming patients, and doubling time 3.5 days (2-5 days for doubling was suggested in earlier research). Of course that's a pretty lousy prediction, based on really really basic assumptions, but if it's remotely accurate WA is dealing with numbers that could be tracked and contained.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

We closed schools because someone's someone had a possible tested case, they're cleaning everything with a surface in the schools and bus pool so... I guess we're back tomorrow? Maybe? Forever closed.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Number is going up though, so that's good.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

ma i married a tuna posted:

Six weeks with unchecked doubling (since no real measures were in place) could mean 2^12= 4096 cases in Washington, assuming starting with one case six weeks ago, no other incoming patients, and doubling time 3.5 days (2-5 days for doubling was suggested in earlier research). Of course that's a pretty lousy prediction, based on really really basic assumptions, but if it's remotely accurate WA is dealing with numbers that could be tracked and contained.

This could be off by an order of magnitude in either direction. Those average doubling rates really only apply to larger populations. If the first person in WA was a super spreader they could have infected hundreds of people before they got sick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It has been incredibly useful for identifying sociopaths, though!

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Rinkles posted:

And one guy in his 50s with "underlying conditions"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah it's not like that death church in Korea was only doubling every 3-4 days, those numbers exploded very rapidly because doubling rates are only a rough approximation of how this poo poo works in sufficiently-large sample sizes.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
A reminder that one of the hot spots in WA is an assisted living home that would naturally have a higher mortality rate than average. I'm guessing most of the deaths in the next few days will be coming from there.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I saw in the news the Number went back up, Trump must be winning

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the market has spoken: coronavirus is good

bet it'll go down another 2000+ points later this week tho

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Mozi posted:

the market has spoken: coronavirus is good

bet it'll go down another 2000+ points later this week tho

Based on some of the stuff coming out of china it's likely not to tank like it did last week, probably not a bad time to pick up some cheap stocks on the bump.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I want that number to die so bad.

That being said, the number surged on promised stimulus.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Seph posted:

This could be off by an order of magnitude in either direction. Those average doubling rates really only apply to larger populations. If the first person in WA was a super spreader they could have infected hundreds of people before they got sick.

You're right. This is total amateur speculation, but since the professionals aren't speculating I figure I'd give it a shot. I didn't post this in order for people to start saying "there's definitely 4k infections in WA", but as a way of giving some *possible* idea of the scale of the actual problem.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bomb posted:

Based on some of the stuff coming out of china it's likely not to tank like it did last week, probably not a bad time to pick up some cheap stocks on the bump.

I hope my fund manager did, I held steady.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
can anyone please explain what the gently caress was going on in Italy to be a supercenter?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, so you haven't seen the crowds of Chinese tourists all over Italy's sights then...

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

TheBuilder posted:

can anyone please explain what the gently caress was going on in Italy to be a supercenter?

every time someone in Italy cooked a meal or tasted a well-cooked meal, they would bring their fingers to their lips and kiss them.
as we now know, this kind of behavior is precisely what the CDC recommends against

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheBuilder posted:

it's a massive tourism hub

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean among goon diagnoses. People who absolutely did not have it saying whatever the last random illness they had was "probably" this
i shat so hard out of my rear end that the force bore me aloft like astro-boy. it was probably coronavirus

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

It has been incredibly useful for identifying sociopaths, though!
i'm side-eyeing any goon that calls it "corona-chan"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheBuilder posted:

Tourism

Remember this poo poo happened during Chinese New Year when a gently caress ton of them went on vacation.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hallelujah posted:

i'm side-eyeing any goon that calls it "corona-chan"

Who has said this? This isn't a thing is it? You know what I don't want to know

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol my mum's first emergency shopping list was like handwash, bleach, toilet paper, tinned tomatoes... smoked salmon, cream cheese, box chardonnay

we also have three different types of rice stockpiled. delicious brown basmati will see me through the end times

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKr6YYr6y8

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

UnknownTarget posted:

I want that number to die so bad.

That being said, the number surged on promised stimulus.

but it doesn't make sense. the fed cutting rates is not going to help where there is both a supply and demand shock. it's just bullshit on bullshit on bullshit

and it's going up because some pharma group says they are making progress or some poo poo. still gonna be at least a year+ for a vaccine!

the only way this remotely makes sense is that smarter people are still grifting idiots somehow

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pixaal posted:

i've only seen it a few times here so far, but "ebola-chan" was a big meme on the uh, further-right corners of the internet, so it's never a good sign

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Grift

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bonaventure posted:

every time someone in Italy cooked a meal or tasted a well-cooked meal, they would bring their fingers to their lips and kiss them.
as we now know, this kind of behavior is precisely what the CDC recommends against
:negative:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mozi posted:

but it doesn't make sense. the fed cutting rates is not going to help where there is both a supply and demand shock. it's just bullshit on bullshit on bullshit

and it's going up because some pharma group says they are making progress or some poo poo. still gonna be at least a year+ for a vaccine!

the only way this remotely makes sense is that smarter people are still grifting idiots somehow

It's the stock market. It's not an estimate of market fundamentals. It's an accurate estimate of the average beliefs of the investor class, and investors are still people. People who can fall for some ridiculously dumb group-think just like any other large group of people. The past few decades should have taught you that rich does not equal smart does not equal unemotional and MBA does not equal smart does not equal unemotional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

golden bubble posted:

It's the stock market. It's not an estimate of market fundamentals. It's an accurate estimate of the average beliefs of the investor class, and investors are still people. People who can fall for some ridiculously dumb group-think just like any other large group of people.

Once there are hard numbers like from an earnings report people tend to shift to a more realistic number in the market. Most companies already reported Q1 and don't report until the end of April next. Until then it's just speculation on what their earnings will be. Not that the stock price is strictly tied to earnings, a bad or good report does tend to move the price of a stock.