Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

I think you can probably just officially name Lewis GOAT and cancel the sport for good at this point

Agreed, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Haas is either posturing or they are out after this year.

quote:

Asked if the sporting return was worth the financial investment, Haas said: "It's definitely not financially worth it, I can tell you that.

"The business model does not favour the smaller teams.

"As everybody knows with the way the money has been distributed 70 percent of it goes to the top three teams and 30 percent of it goes to the other seven teams. It's not a good economic model.

"At least in our condition, you're only paid about a third of what it actually costs to run a team in Formula 1.

"So, from a business model it doesn't do that well.

Not surprising really. An American team is Formula 1 will never work.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148522/early-season-will-decide-haas-future-beyond-20

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gene Haas is the stupidest person on the entire planet

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
The 9-figure net worth American wants more equal distribution of wealth (in F1). Lol.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Big Huski Boi posted:

Gene Haas is the stupidest person on the entire planet

hello gene haha

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

hello gene haha

Hi

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
https://f1memes4mates.tumblr.com/

I have posted this on the discord but I seriously think this is the BEST introduction to 2020 F1 season.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is F1 in and of itself actually profitable for any team?

I've heard that for Mercedes the world-wide exposure is worth billions in marketing (however they measure this?) for the Merc. brand. Same for Ferrari.

But even if a team like Haas was winning Championships, what would they actually get out of it? Very few people are going to be buying Haas machining tools....

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DrNewton posted:

I have posted this on the discord but I seriously think this is the BEST introduction to 2020 F1 season.

thanks i hate it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MZ posted:

Is F1 in and of itself actually profitable for any team?

I've heard that for Mercedes the world-wide exposure is worth billions in marketing (however they measure this?) for the Merc. brand. Same for Ferrari.

But even if a team like Haas was winning Championships, what would they actually get out of it? Very few people are going to be buying Haas machining tools....

Absolutely not. Every single team is technically breaking even based on getting subsidies of various sizes from their parent companies/shareholders/what have you. Some of them might be able to write off that expense as marketing and claim they generate more in marketing value than they spend, but who knows if that's actually accurate (it's not).

Gene Haas is just crying because he's a fool and he thought he could run a team on the cheap and fluke the occasional win like at NASCAR plate races.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DrNewton posted:

This was enjoyable.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Big Huski Boi posted:

Absolutely not. Every single team is technically breaking even based on getting subsidies of various sizes from their parent companies/shareholders/what have you. Some of them might be able to write off that expense as marketing and claim they generate more in marketing value than they spend, but who knows if that's actually accurate (it's not).

Gene Haas is just crying because he's a fool and he thought he could run a team on the cheap and fluke the occasional win like at NASCAR plate races.

What happens when nascar successfully convinces the average American that nascar was/is/will be the only motorsport in America.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

DrNewton posted:

this is trash and you should be ashamed

#essereFerrari

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Zeta Acosta posted:

this is trash and you should be ashamed

#essereFerrari

Never!

Maybe you should be ashamed that you're a soulless human with no sense of humor.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

DrNewton posted:

Thank you for this! :)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DrNewton posted:

These are uncomfortably accurate

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

lol, yep

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

He’s not even French.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Minto Took posted:

He’s not even French.

Huh, I always thought he was.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wiltsghost posted:

Huh, I always thought he was.

He was born in Geneva. His mom is French and apparently that’s good enough a la Albon.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DrNewton posted:

good job posting about a subject not in the thread about the subject and in some dumb rear end tencent datamining app instead of just manning up and posting in the fuicking formula 1 thread you loving oval office

also im taking legal advice from lowtax on facebook against the fucktarded tumblr guy somehow ripping off my lovely ops and making them worse

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I got in to F1 late last year, watched a couple races, and decided Grosjean was a nincompoop. Then I watched the first season on Netflix, and at one point early in the season two team leads are betting on how many turns he makes it in one of the races (I think it was turn 1 and 3 max) and he crashed on turn 2 and I felt pretty vindicated in my opinion and glad that others shared it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

I got in to F1 late last year, watched a couple races, and decided Grosjean was a nincompoop. Then I watched the first season on Netflix, and at one point early in the season two team leads are betting on how many turns he makes it in one of the races (I think it was turn 1 and 3 max) and he crashed on turn 2 and I felt pretty vindicated in my opinion and glad that others shared it.

wow 10/10 observation there you noticed that grossjean is bad

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yes I really am very astute thank you

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Haas F1 won't be with us beyond this year, so enjoy it while you can.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Pleads posted:

What made you get into F1 over something more interesting like Antiques Roadshow or watching paint dry?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i watched the dts thing and just came here to say

blando bore us

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Lando CalrissianNorris is a good lad who means well.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Minto Took posted:

Lando CalrissianNorris is a good lad who means well.

he's a gamer and as such should be eradicated from the face of the earth, also he's british which is another good reason for death. also his name is dumb

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

track day bro! posted:

he's a gamer and as such should be eradicated from the face of the earth, also he's british which is another good reason for death. also his name is dumb

I’ve watched his streams and he doesn’t strike me as the typical GAMER NATION crowd. He also has good teeth, so he’s not that British.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

track day bro! posted:

good job posting about a subject not in the thread about the subject and in some dumb rear end tencent datamining app instead of just manning up and posting in the fuicking formula 1 thread you loving oval office

also im taking legal advice from lowtax on facebook against the fucktarded tumblr guy somehow ripping off my lovely ops and making them worse

Don’t take it hard. Your OP was v good

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Norris is awesome and proof that Britain will survive its dumb TEMPORARY european exodus or w/e

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

the kentucky quid posted:

What made you get into F1 over something more interesting like Antiques Roadshow or watching paint dry?

I generally like racing but NASCAR is boring garbage and a friend was in town who watches F1 and the race was at 11am instead of 2am.

Also like 3 cars crashed in the first turn and the race was over in 2 hours so we could get on with our day (drinking).

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Napcar is real.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Pleads posted:

I generally like racing but NASCAR is boring garbage and a friend was in town who watches F1 and the race was at 11am instead of 2am.

Also like 3 cars crashed in the first turn and the race was over in 2 hours so we could get on with our day (drinking).

I can offer something better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrWzZJlIua0

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

track day bro! posted:

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Max is also a gamer

https://au.motorsport.com/gaming/news/social-online-league-supercars-f1/4515539/

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

You Am I posted:

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Max is also a gamer

https://au.motorsport.com/gaming/news/social-online-league-supercars-f1/4515539/

Not only that, Max and Lando team up..... was it Max or Lando's wheel that came off mid race. That was hilarious.

Edit: It was Max's brake pedal that fell off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYrgCG6p34c

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 4, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

But Max refuses to stream.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Horner giving Albon a weird “don’t take this opportunity for granted” spiel about how Hubert would have given his arm for the Red Bull seat when he’d literally just given his life was supremely hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dinosaurs! posted:

Horner giving Albon a weird “don’t take this opportunity for granted” spiel about how Hubert would have given his arm for the Red Bull seat when he’d literally just given his life was supremely hosed up.
Horner is a literal piece of poo poo, he's not a humanoid mammal he's literally a large turd that happens to be the same color as a homo sapien sapien