Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

In Training posted:

Dung pods are poop you can shoot at monsters that forces them to rezone and leave you alone

Seriously? The tutorial made it seem like they're supposed to be used when you're pinned.

e: anyway I just killed both of them :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

On PC right now now many areas of the guiding lands is it possible to keep at level 7?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
3, if you leave the others at 1

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Seriously? The tutorial made it seem like they're supposed to be used when you're pinned.

e: anyway I just killed both of them :shrug:

they work for that too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

First time I used dung pods I thought you were supposed to use them on the monster you wanted to stay around, under the logic that the other monster wouldn't want to hang around a stinky boy.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Rathalos/Rathian and Legiana/Shrieking Legiana (and maybe some others I'm forgetting) have special roars that will call each other to the area you are fighting. If you dung pod their partner away, they will return eventually when the monster your fighting does the roar again. Still, its worth it to dung pod them anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Rathalos/Rathian and Legiana/Shrieking Legiana (and maybe some others I'm forgetting) have special roars that will call each other to the area you are fighting. If you dung pod their partner away, they will return eventually when the monster your fighting does the roar again. Still, its worth it to dung pod them anyway.

Every roar used to attract Bazel, but now that he's deaf and in a nursing home he never shows up to help me hunt monsters anymore. :saddowns:

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

God I'm so sad that the Panzer Dragoon franchise died out so resoundingly because I would loving LOVE a Panzer Dragoon Orta quest line in the style of the FF and Witcher ones.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lemme upgrade your big bang there

https://i.imgur.com/NiYqn77.mp4

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

lemme upgrade your big bang there

https://i.imgur.com/NiYqn77.mp4

all I'm getting from this is that clearly capcom needs to give hammers phials in the next game

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Oh my god why did I wait so long to try out the insect glaive

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

all I'm getting from this is that clearly capcom needs to give hammers phials in the next game

Only if they also give us gungreatsword.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Sounds like a dauntless rip-off to me

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Your Computer posted:

Isn't "hammer with phials" more or less just a hunting horn?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

In Training posted:

Sounds like a dauntless rip-off to me

Only if the phial's hit detection is server side.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pyromancer posted:

Isn't "hammer with phials" more or less just a hunting horn?

no it sounds like the boomhammer from bloodborne

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ran across a tempered MR paolumu for the first time last night. That furious puffball does not gently caress around. It's usually such a pushover that you can practically keep stunlocked with a few good whacks to the head. I did not expect it to constantly do quad bounces chasing me around. And its whole body becomes a hitbox when it's bouncing, as far as I could tell, so trying to claw onto it is about as useful as standing under it and getting squished. Not bad compared to some of the ridiculous tempered monsters though (f u black diablos), just a more challenging, more active fight.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Honestly I feel black diablos would be OK if screamer pods had a 10 stack limit.

Or 5

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
help I think Rajang knocked something loose in my brain.

As I've mentioned I've been playing through MH4U again and almost all of these fights that I remember being as bad as pulling teeth have all* been... fine. I didn't even mind fighting Yian Garuga. I just fought Rajang in his old version and he was kinda... easy? I'm having a bit of a monhun existential crisis over how wrong I've been about a lot of this stuff :ohdear:

*except Cephadrome, who is objectively bad

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Honestly I feel black diablos would be OK if screamer pods had a 10 stack limit.

Or 5

Or if it ever actually reacted to them

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
At least MR chilled way the gently caress out about needing so many Diablos bits. It felt like every loving weapon that ever existed in HR needed Diablos horns, even if the weapon had nothing to do with the Diablos line. Farming majestics :argh:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Or if it ever actually reacted to them

Yeah, I wish burrowing/emerging frames also counted for screamer pods.

It's not a fun monster, except for lance I guess

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Your Computer posted:

I just fought Rajang in his old version and he was kinda... easy?

From what I've seen (never actually played it, just going off of video evidence) older Rajang was easier once you got his moves down. There were more openings and he couldn't just chain a jump into a spin punch into a flailing charge into a knockdown into a grab like new version does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dragon enthusiast posted:

notably, every monster has a GL specific drop which you can only get off of shinies and carves. if you're trying to get tail carves or normal parts from a monster it's pretty difficult to get them from their GL version.

I missed this yesterday. When you say you can only get the GL drops off shinies and carves, capture rewards count too, right?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk I never paid attention to that lol

I think the general wisdom was to cap basic versions of monsters and slay tempered versions?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Once you get 4Us triple blanka ball move down then yeah his g-rank version is about on par with IBs imo. Well, aside from his level 140 guild quest version lol

IB Rajang has less recovery frames after moves, so less time to punish. But also moves slightly slower, I think. But his leg trip move that he combos off of is such bs I cant stand it. Plus he has garabge hit zones. Old rajang you could just wail on his back legs which were a weakpoint and be safe from most of his moves. Once you got his moveset down he was very easy to punish, especially with a weapon like crit draw GS.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

I missed this yesterday. When you say you can only get the GL drops off shinies and carves, capture rewards count too, right?

yeah they count, although you could still get less GL drops overall this way since you might miss out on a park break or another wall slam that you would have gotten if you'd kept fighting the mon. I'd say if you're just going for speed then cap away, but if you're using a rare lure or whatever then slay.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk I never paid attention to that lol

I think the general wisdom was to cap basic versions of monsters and slay tempered versions?

I believe you get guiding land parts either way. Either from carving or in the reward screen (after the regular monster bits). Capturing also gives you a few extra points for leveling up an area, and ends the fight quicker. But you'll also lose out on any shinies that would have dropped from a flinch or break if you had continued killing it. Also, if you havent cut the tail and are close then go for that.

What I do is tranq the monster as it is sleeping in its nest, wall bang it for an extra shiny or two, then capture it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Your Computer posted:

help I think Rajang knocked something loose in my brain.

As I've mentioned I've been playing MH4U again and almost all of these fights that I remember being as bad as pulling teeth have all* been... fine. I didn't even mind fighting Yian Garuga. I just fought Rajang in his old version and he was kinda... easy? I'm having a bit of a monhun existential crisis over how wrong I've been about a lot of this stuff :ohdear:

*except Cephadrome, who is objectively bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOyEgNPgRck

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Not having played the old games, I like Rajang and I find it one of the more fun monsters to fight in the game. One point of tremor resist and you'll have all the openings you need.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm aware of that video, but the thing is I've already fought old Rajang in both 4U previously and Generations/U and my experience with him was that he was a total trash monster and completely awful to fight, to the point where he was one of my least favorite mons of the entire series roster. Then MHW Rajang happens and I actually despite my complaining enjoy it, and now I can't even remember why I thought the old fight was so bad. :saddowns: it's not the only monster I've had that experience with either - Tigrex is so much better than I remember him being, as is Deviljho (who's a complete pushover compared to MHW!) Another fun revelation I had was fighting Akantor, a monster I used to hate a lot and realizing that he's just a bigger, slower Tigrex. It was a real :aaa: moment seeing the animations and being like, wait a moment... I know these animations!

The one monster that caught me really off-guard was Teostra, and it was the first quest I actually failed. I saw him go into the air to do the nova so I sheathed my weapon in order to get ready to superman dive and- already dead. I had completely forgotten how fast that nova used to be! Aside from my own messing up I still think old Teo's kind of a bad fight though, it's just instant charge into instant charge into instant charge and even when you know the pattern it's not a very engaging fight. He can also cancel his animations into a roar (which he can combo from) upon taking damage and to top it off some of his hitboxes are pretty wack

https://i.imgur.com/DObpDAe.mp4

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Rajang feels less nearly impossible now that I've done the double monkey arena fight several times over for my speedo set. But still a lot of the fight almost feels like RNG on whether he'll give you an opening or just chain into something else immediately.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
teostra used to gently caress me with his charge that curves in mhfu all the time

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not to beat a dead horse but I just cannot loving stand the Guiding Lands or how much they clash with how the entire rest of the gameplay loop has been up until they appear.

LR, HR, and MR before the Guiding Lands: "Okay, I want to make [thing]. To do that I have to fight [monster]. I will go fight that monster a couple times, get the things I need, and make the thing I want."

Guiding Lands: "Okay, I need tempered acid glav bits... oh but my rotten vale GL is at level one though, and the monster I want to fight doesn't show up to level 6 minimum. Also I have three lands currently maxed out. So first I'll piss away a huge amount of work and drop one of my level sevens down to level one so I can level the vale, then I'll invest multiple hours of my life just to get the monster I need to appear. Except whoops after about an hour I've already burned all my lures for rotten vale exclusive monsters, and I'm still only mid-way through level 3. So now... I have to continuously jump in and out of unrelated quests to rotate what monsters are in the guiding lands and just hope monsters that will level the vale appear. Which wastes even more time. It's now been three hours and I'm still only at level four and still jumping in and out of quests to rotate the monster roulette and wow wasn't this game fun at one point? That was nice, I miss those days."

And don't even get me started on the fact that because I had the audacity to level to an MR breakpoint higher than any of my friends that they're completely barred from entering my guiding lands until they've done another 10-15 hours of pointless grinding, so we can't even split up who levels what in the GL and then just share. :argh:

It frustrates me to no end just how piss poor the endgame is for MR, particularly when almost everything before it was so, so much better.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Your Computer posted:

The one monster that caught me really off-guard was Teostra, and it was the first quest I actually failed. I saw him go into the air to do the nova so I sheathed my weapon in order to get ready to superman dive and- already dead. I had completely forgotten how fast that nova used to be! Aside from my own messing up I still think old Teo's kind of a bad fight though, it's just instant charge into instant charge into instant charge and even when you know the pattern it's not a very engaging fight. He can also cancel his animations into a roar (which he can combo from) upon taking damage and to top it off some of his hitboxes are pretty wack

https://i.imgur.com/DObpDAe.mp4

Yeah, Teo's nova comes out fast, but it happens every 120 seconds (I think) so you can egg timer it if you're a cool professional. I know one of the official monhun egg timer things has a setting for 2 minutes or however long it is that changes the sound from "So Tasty!" to the Teo roar.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Not to beat a dead horse but I just cannot loving stand the Guiding Lands or how much they clash with how the entire rest of the gameplay loop has been up until they appear.

LR, HR, and MR before the Guiding Lands: "Okay, I want to make [thing]. To do that I have to fight [monster]. I will go fight that monster a couple times, get the things I need, and make the thing I want."

Guiding Lands: "Okay, I need tempered acid glav bits... oh but my rotten vale GL is at level one though, and the monster I want to fight doesn't show up to level 6 minimum. Also I have three lands currently maxed out. So first I'll piss away a huge amount of work and drop one of my level sevens down to level one so I can level the vale, then I'll invest multiple hours of my life just to get the monster I need to appear. Except whoops after about an hour I've already burned all my lures for rotten vale exclusive monsters, and I'm still only mid-way through level 3. So now... I have to continuously jump in and out of unrelated quests to rotate what monsters are in the guiding lands and just hope monsters that will level the vale appear. Which wastes even more time. It's now been three hours and I'm still only at level four and still jumping in and out of quests to rotate the monster roulette and wow wasn't this game fun at one point? That was nice, I miss those days."

And don't even get me started on the fact that because I had the audacity to level to an MR breakpoint higher than any of my friends that they're completely barred from entering my guiding lands until they've done another 10-15 hours of pointless grinding, so we can't even split up who levels what in the GL and then just share. :argh:

It frustrates me to no end just how piss poor the endgame is for MR, particularly when almost everything before it was so, so much better.

At least there is an endgame compared to the base game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

to each their own but I find this a bit bonkers. The old endgame, in so far as the game had any, was literally just grinding the same couple of tempered elder dragons ad nauseam hoping that RNG would grace you with a deco or streamstone that you could use. I was tired of that grind before I even got to augment my main weapon because I just kept getting bow augments :arghfist::(

that said I guess the thing I like about the Guiding Lands is the same thing you dislike about it. I like fighting a variety of monsters, and because you need materials from lots of different mons to augment I find that a lot more enjoyable than the old endgame. I still wish they would let you grind out all of your guiding lands zones though and before someone says it's technically possible I mean like, in less than 3000 hours It just feels a bit arbitrary in a "HAH! now you HAVE to play online!" way how they're limited.

EthanSteele posted:

I know one of the official monhun egg timer things has a setting for 2 minutes or however long it is that changes the sound from "So Tasty!" to the Teo roar.
:allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The guiding lands are great as long as you understand how they work and plan for it from the get go:

1. Figure out what 3 areas you plan to have max out
2. max out the remaining 2 areas instead making sure to fight everything from them at least once.
3. Once you're done with the 2 unwanted areas, max out the 3 you want.

Grats, you now have access to all GL parts via melder and the lands themselves.

Alternative: start a 2nd character with a different set of leveled guiding lands :getin:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maybe I’ll develop those complaints once I have more than just the one zone to 7, but so far the GL feels like a really solid idea & something I want to see expanded on in monster hunter 6. it’s much more engaging than just doing TED talks and hoping the triple layer of RNG gave you the kind of streamstones you wanted. It adds a compelling reason to go through all the monsters in the game again (twice!) which is cool and the GL-specific monster rewards are reliable and come in bulk, so other than great spiritvein gems you always get what you care about if you put in the work.

my current issue with GL is the QOL that they still don’t let you change decorations within the tent, which matters because I often quickly swap out low impact decos for a resist based on what I’m fighting & there isn’t a reason to prevent deco swapping because it already lets you indirectly do this through loadout switches. It would be a lot easier to stay in the groove of killing everything that appears if you could quickly gem for it without having to go through 2 loading screens, or else have to deal with an annoying part of the monster you normally disable. this only slightly mattered before the GL existed but it’s a noticeable omission now that it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The GL leveling system really rewards playing with friends. I picked areas to level at random and have never needed to re-level other areas because there have always been goons around who had those areas leveled. Get in the discord!