Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
It will be so worth it to see Tifa shooting lasers though so I will hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Not a big fan of the FFXV style gameplay and hope it doesn't change the game so much that it lacks the depth and charm that it once had. The materia was the neatest bit of the original.

Game is definitely pretty as hell though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wouldnt be surprised if they just dropped the enemy skill materia and just made one of the characters a blue mage. Red XIII or Vincent could work well enough

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think "magic feels clunky" issue I have comes from the combination of:
- Magic takes both ATB and MP
- Restoring MP in combat takes ATB, too
- Characters gain very little ATB when you aren't actively controlling them

It adds up to make it feel extra hard to actually use the magic you need to use. Obviously we're supposed to be switching characters very frequently--that's what the low ATB gain for AI characters seems designed to incentivize--and I think it might also feel different when you can decide who has what materia equipped in the full game.

I don't know what I'd actually want to change, though. I think making items not require ATB might be swinging too far in the other direction, for example.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
XV was pretty bad in that respect because items let you sandbag your way through anything.

There is only one way to game over in XV and that is to get downed and then refuse to use a phoenix down.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's the first 45-60 minutes of an rpg with talent trees and equipment and weapon skills, I'd wager there's a fair amount of +Speed poo poo you can get to bump up your characters. What we've played is just the baseline.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Framboise posted:

Not a big fan of the FFXV style gameplay and hope it doesn't change the game so much that it lacks the depth and charm that it once had. The materia was the neatest bit of the original.

Game is definitely pretty as hell though.

Something you don't see in Chapter 1 (the demo) but do see a little later is that having Fire materia connected to Elemental materia shows the fire on Cloud's sword. If anything, the materia system is going to be more in-depth. If you're wondering where I saw this, it's at like 02:55:45 in https://www.twitch.tv/videos/561141278. Weapons even have skill trees and unique abilities, and allow you to use them throughout the game, if you want. This video also goes pretty in-depth into things that happen in Chapter 2, including a lot of new stuff added. So avoid it if you don't want spoilers.

Sector 5's reactor is Chapter 7, by the way, if that helps with seeing how the game progresses. The guy in the aforementioned video says Chapter 2's escape from Sector 8 is like 45 minutes. Seemed he was talking specifically about the chase sequence.

And here is an image of the materia screen, I think:

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 3, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

exploring the reactor in the demo was awesome as hell and gave me a rush

the combat however was really disappointing. too much movement and chaos to allow me to really strategize like in a traditional rpg, but with controls too clunky for me to really get my action rpg/dark souls groove going. it's an uncomfortable midpoint between 2 genres that for me drags down the experience

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For FFVII pros, was it ever explained why Cloud is good at fighting despite not being a SOLDIER?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

For FFVII pros, was it ever explained why Cloud is good at fighting despite not being a SOLDIER?

He was still in the Shinra army, and he was injected with Jenova cells and experimented on by Hojo prior to FF7, which is part of why his memories are all hosed up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

No you see Cloud is in SOLDIER, it's clearly explained in the demo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

He was given superpower juice

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Might as well change the title here to spoiler thread...

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Might as well change the title here to spoiler thread...

The game came out in 1997...

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm really looking forward to the characterization from the remake. The demo sold the aspect of AVALANCHE being a bunch of amateurs and Cloud being a renegade sword for hire in a way the original didn't, maybe because of the abstract character design, maybe because of the lack of dialogue.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

actually it’s not out yet. they just put out a demo

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadget posted:

Hell this happened 15 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rFplIzLskw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm really looking forward to the characterization from the remake. The demo sold the aspect of AVALANCHE being a bunch of amateurs and Cloud being a renegade sword for hire in a way the original didn't, maybe because of the abstract character design, maybe because of the lack of dialogue.

I hope there's more "Stamp" moments. Something odd that's not really important to the narrative, but you when start piecing it together it gives the character a lot of personality.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I hope there's more "Stamp" moments. Something odd that's not really important to the narrative, but you when start piecing it together it gives the character a lot of personality.

I hope Barret sees Red XIII for the first time and laments busting out the Stamp jokes too soon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LadyPictureShow posted:

I hope Barret sees Red XIII for the first time and laments busting out the Stamp jokes too soon.

Barrett is going to suggest naming him Stamp.

Red XIII will have none of that poo poo and reveal he can talk.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

WaltherFeng posted:

He starts at level 7. He's not good at fighting, everyone else is just a rube.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When they said that the first chapter of FF7R will be about the same length as FF13 do you think they meant it like you can blow through the entire story in 30 hours or mess around in Gran Midgar and take 60 hours to beat it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

There's missing the boat, and then there's missing the several other boats that came to pick up the people that missed the first one. Story is 23 years old at this point, and available way too many ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There's missing the boat, and then there's missing the several other boats that came to pick up the people that missed the first one. Story is 22 years old at this point, and available way too many ways.

Game is going to change things. Don't be a dick.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I get that much. But spoilers are going to happen in a thread like this. It's a remake of a popular game old enough to drink.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Aeris LIVES twist is just SO well-known and so iconic to the original game that it almost makes me think they’ll try to flip it a little, or at the very least try to catch you off guard with when it happens.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

yeah but the specific change in question happens 30 minutes in and is in the demo that 70% of the people who play this game will have already played

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

best part is you know cloud had no loving clue what he was talking about until he actually saw one of those posters for himself

just imagining him standing there for several seconds until the gears finish turning

he makes a mental note to double his fee

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is unreasonable to ask for the original game to be unspoiled and be kept in tags. That said, there's also no need to be a dick and just list everything that ever happens in the original when someone who hasn't played before strolls in. And obviously everything new after the demo once the game releases/from previews ought to be tagged.

If you've never played the original game and want to go in fresh, then you probably should stay away from here because comparisons and analyses will be made.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The "spoilers" in question are from the old game, so if the Remake changes things, it isn't a spoiler for the Remake, is it?

And by the way, it seems like a lot of stuff will be changed. So prepare yourselves for that, because I have already seen a lot of people super upset about the first mission's "change."

Even the first meeting with Aerith is changed to include the fate ghosts or whatever, and visions of Sephiroth

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 3, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

exquisite tea posted:

The Aeris LIVES twist is just SO well-known and so iconic to the original game that it almost makes me think they’ll try to flip it a little, or at the very least try to catch you off guard with when it happens.

METATRON LIVES!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

exquisite tea posted:

That or lean super hard the other way and have an anime style decapitation

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MonsieurChoc posted:

BASCH LIVES!

ftfy

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I meant just put spoilers in the title so people stop loving around with spoiler tags and new people will know it coming in.

Of course its unreasonable to not spoil things when its 25 years old, but its a nice courtesy to people before they read the thread.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Hi! I'm Aeris #2!

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

MisterZimbu posted:

Hi! I'm Aeris #2!

https://youtu.be/0w9DUTcAI0o

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I think "magic feels clunky" issue I have comes from the combination of:
- Magic takes both ATB and MP
- Restoring MP in combat takes ATB, too
- Characters gain very little ATB when you aren't actively controlling them

It adds up to make it feel extra hard to actually use the magic you need to use. Obviously we're supposed to be switching characters very frequently--that's what the low ATB gain for AI characters seems designed to incentivize--and I think it might also feel different when you can decide who has what materia equipped in the full game.

I don't know what I'd actually want to change, though. I think making items not require ATB might be swinging too far in the other direction, for example.

The thing to change is AI need to generate more ATB on their own

problem solved

Also IMO i'd prefer it if your inputs couldn't be interrupted. Or if they can be interrupted, make them go off instantly when I select it. There's delay and if you get hit during the delay it gets cancelled, just feels bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Different reference, but it works.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I've decided to ban spoilers from every final fantasy game in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That or lean super hard the other way and have an anime style decapitation

Only if Sephiroth descends from the ceiling in his best Jack Black voice.