Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MJeff posted:

Two questions about COLT CABANA

1) Did he start the wrestling podcast boom?
2) Did he start Pro Wrestling Tees?

By all accounts, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, Cabana got cut loose from WWE and started doing a weekly podcast not too long after in 2009/10. It was the same time as comedians started all forming podcasts (either things like Mark Maron’s interview show or group things like Comedy Bang Bang or the Sklar Brothers’ show) and that was likely his big inspiration. His weekly hour-ish interviews put a lot of people onto the radar for me, because I was just starting to get back into wrestling and learning about more than just WWE.

T-shirt wise, Cabana started putting people in touch with One Hour Tees, which is a printing company based out of Chicago. Wrestling and T-shirts, a long history.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MJeff posted:

Two questions about COLT CABANA

1) Did he start the wrestling podcast boom?
2) Did he start Pro Wrestling Tees?

In both cases I'd say yes to yes-ish. There ARE wrestling podcasts that predate (in some cases significantly predate) Art Of Wrestling but not ones with wrestlers as the main participants, and certainly not ones that are still going. Smart Wrestling Fan has been weekly since 2005 (and is pretty good), but is fan created rather than being industry created. Certainly the model of promotion at the heart of AOW was new with Colt. Or rather was stolen from Maron but new to wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Joe Gagne is the true godfather of the wrestling podcast, Joe Vs The World ruled.

But Cabana was certainly the guy who popularised the wrestler fronted podcast as opposed to the fan run podcast, and he reached a much broader audience. Something like JVTW was very much for people already subbed to the WON, reading the DVDVR board and otherwise just very much wrestling dorks.

Kind of the same with Pro Wrestling Tees, he showed there was a market for what they did among wrestlers. Definitely just an all round influential guy as far as the business of being an independent wrestler goes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Joe Gagne is the true godfather of the wrestling podcast, Joe Vs The World ruled.

But Cabana was certainly the guy who popularised the wrestler fronted podcast as opposed to the fan run podcast, and he reached a much broader audience. Something like JVTW was very much for people already subbed to the WON, reading the DVDVR board and otherwise just very much wrestling dorks.

Kind of the same with Pro Wrestling Tees, he showed there was a market for what they did among wrestlers. Definitely just an all round influential guy as far as the business of being an independent wrestler goes.

It's not surprising to me that he signed a deal that works for him with AEW, Matt and Nick have gushed many times over how influential the way Colt runs his career is on them.

I'm glad Colt's getting paid. Always liked him. I know theres a few folks here who have a bizarre level of disdain for him but gently caress 'em.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Wikipedia summary of PWT draws a pretty direct line:

quote:

It first started as a digital print shop in 2008, where owner Ryan Barkan sold custom t-shirts under the company One Hour Tees. In 2010, Ryan received an email by a well-known independent wrestler Colt Cabana to help create a shirt for his then friend CM Punk that would say, “I Broke Big Show’s Hand”. After that, Ryan received more orders from Colt Cabana and later Colt offered Ryan a deal for promoting his business, One Hour Tees, on his podcast named, “The Art of Wrestling.” After getting featured on Colt’s podcast, the brand bloomed and got the attention of the wrestlers such as The Young Bucks, Joey Ryan, Kevin Steen, Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian. In 2013, Ryan started the website ProWrestlingTees.com which is a marketplace of over 1,200 wrestlers who sell their own merchandise worldwide. In 2014, the company signed partnership deals with New Japan Pro-Wrestling. In 2017, they signed a deal with Hot topic to supply them the wrestling clothing and merchandise. In 2019, they become the official merchandise partner for All Elite Wrestling, launching ShopAEW.com.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
That's a pretty cool history of PWT. In related news, the Inner Circle GnR shirt is fire and I'm hoping that there's still plenty of Jericho hijinx between now and when he heads off to do the Fozzy tour. Hopefully they reassure us that he's still going to be a big part of the build-up to DoN.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Folks, I cancelled the WWE Network a couple months ago and am feeling like I should put that $9.99 toward another wrestling streaming service. Any suggestions? I already have NJPW World. I saw IndependentWrestling.tv actually has an Apple TV app, which is a huge plus for me, but I'm not super familiar with their content.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you're okay with goin through the back catalog njpw world is a good investment but they don't have any scheduled shows for the next few weeks due to covid concerns, iwtv has a lot of unique content and you get access to black label pro, beyond, chikara and more.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

DDT’s service gets you both DDT and Tokyo Joshi Pro. I’d say that has to be one of the best deals out there in the pro wrassles streaming world

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Big Huski Boi posted:

Folks, I cancelled the WWE Network a couple months ago and am feeling like I should put that $9.99 toward another wrestling streaming service. Any suggestions? I already have NJPW World. I saw IndependentWrestling.tv actually has an Apple TV app, which is a huge plus for me, but I'm not super familiar with their content.

Fite's AEW service is $5/month if you're non-US/using a VPN. Best $5 I pay a month.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

extradite THIS! posted:

DDT’s service gets you both DDT and Tokyo Joshi Pro. I’d say that has to be one of the best deals out there in the pro wrassles streaming world

DDT Universe will also get you Noah content, so it's an even better deal than it used to be.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Big Huski Boi posted:

I mean what do you like? AJPW TV is good because you can watch All Japan and that's good. Obviously IWTV has a lot of content. On a similar line there's Highspots Network which has a lot of shoot interviews (older guys, also new ones like the Kevin Steen Show, Best Friends, A Gentleman & A Scholar etc) if you're into that, combined with being the only place online to legally watch PWG (it's about 12 months behind live shows so maybe 6-9 months behind DVD releases) and there's a variety of other indy stuff.

DDT Universe gets you DDT & Tokyo Joshi Pro & I'm assuming NOAH (though there was also talk about it going to be on Abema instead? IDK) so if you like any of those promotions then obviously you get a good amount of content every month.

It's more like $15 a month & is also kind of a stupid service but I kind of have to mention Dragon Gate Network, which is the home of Dragongate. They have started having English commentary on their big shows last year & this year I think the intention is to have all of their Korakuen Hall shows also get English commentary which makes it more accessible. Unfortunately because of their TV deal in Japan shows are available to watch online live & then for I think a week then they vanish until the show airs on GAORA when they get reuploaded. It's loving annoying. And the archive is not exactly loaded either, there's some Toryumon uploaded every month and there's 2017, 2018 & 2019 runs of the Dragongate Infinity show (which is basically just their bigger events) and their annual biggest show, from Kobe World Memorial Hall, dating back to 2004. There's also PRIMEZONE which is a smaller studio show with shorter matches out monthly & they do have all 84 episodes of that. And there's also weird poo poo like YAMATO has a cooking program?

If I'm subbing to one service on top of NJPW World then it's Dragon Gate Universe because I really like Dragongate & will almost always watch their shows live so the getting removed isn't a dealbreaker. But if you want to watch death matches then obviously Dragongate isn't for you. If you want beefy boys slamming into each other it's really not for you either. If you like silly comedy & a lot of lucha influenced flying & grappling with a puro touch, DG is cool as hell.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Stardom World is a good shout if you want to check them out: affordable and they usually do around seven or eight shows a month with one big one. However I'd not sub yet since they are up in the air in the same way as New Japan however they are running an Empty Arena show in Korakuen Hall next Sunday that will be streamed on YouTube for free and that is 100% worth checking out to see if they could be your thing or not.

Other than that DDT Universe is a great deal if you are interested to checking out the DDT Group and NOAH; plenty of content (including at the moment with these no audience dojo shows) and if its your thing then its a fantastic deal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Memnaelar posted:

Fite's AEW service is $5/month if you're non-US/using a VPN. Best $5 I pay a month.

This 100%.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Big Huski Boi posted:

Beyond's Uncharted Territory is coming back at the end of April and is one of the best weekly wrestling shows you can watch and it's live on IWTV.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Big Huski Boi posted:

I saw IndependentWrestling.tv actually has an Apple TV app, which is a huge plus for me, but I'm not super familiar with their content.

They got a lot of stuff from top indies on the east coast and in Canada, a lot of old school czw, iwa-ms, I think the whole Chikara library, a lot of small lucha feds and some death match feds. If you enjoy indie wrestling and indie wrestling history you'll probably enjoy it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

microsoft game pass

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://www.patreon.com/1900HOTDOG/posts Seanbaby on weaponry.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

seanbaby... I havent heard that name in... why do i taste warheads?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Big Huski Boi posted:

As someone subscribing to IWTV what I'd say is that if you want the largest quantity of wrestling content, they have you covered. Thousands of shows, hundreds of live streams a year. However quantity is not always quality. You will see a lot of armories and high school gyms, and hear a lot of commentary by whoever was available at the time. And, I should stress, some very good wrestling. But also some average wrestling.

This isn't to say there isn't good content in there. There's some GREAT content, and a great range of promotions to choose from. My personal recommendations:

Beyond Wrestling. The flagship of IWTV. Lots of shows, very good talent, really decent commentary, and several seasons of Uncharted Territory, the weekly show they run and broadcast live. I can't stress enough the quality of performers they get. Basically any AEW performer still taking indie dates is likely to show up in Beyond. And have skewers hammered into their heads by Nick Gage.

Black Label Pro. Bimonthly shows, usually very high quality, some good local talent, and excellent commentary from Dave Prazak and Sarah Shockey. They usually have a few decent size names, and some fun special guests. Ren Narita has wrestled for them several times.

Freelance Wrestling: irreverent shows with high quality matches. Kylie Rae is currently their champion.

Flying V Fights: pro wrestling shows produced by a Maryland based theater company. Good combination of visiting stars and homegrown talent with a hot crowd.

Chikara: the granddaddy of comic book indie promotions. Some of their shows air on Chikaratopia, all of them end up there eventually

There's others I'm missing, and hundreds I haven't seen yet. As I said, lots of content, but you may have to mine for gold. I'd say find a performer you like and search for recent matches, or find a promotion that looks fun and watch their latest show. If you want to try it for free, a lot of promotions do free months as promo codes if you search on Twitter.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Big Huski Boi posted:

This comment is more to remind people that it exists but why not consider supporting the most unique Joshi wrestling company out there by subscribing to Gatoh Move Experience: https://gatohmovex.pivotshare.com/

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Anyone have that completely incoherent HHH promo where he goes "If you cut the tail off a dog...it dies" or something batshit like that

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

IMO sub to DDT Universe so you can watch the continuing adventures of Chris Brookes and Maki Itoh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i forgot the password to my @lycos.com email address

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Is this promo the start of the Hangman Page "Cowboy poo poo" chants or did it start earlier?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MAlYPYIXQ

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Cowboy poo poo chants started immediately after he delivered a promo before Full Gear where he told Pac that he would be showing up to do some cowboy poo poo and knock his head off his shoulders

e: apparently that promo was after that video so yeah I guess that's where it started

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

DDT Universe is your one-stop shop for all things ayayayayayayayayay

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Alaois posted:

the Cowboy poo poo chants started immediately after he delivered a promo before Full Gear where he told Pac that he would be showing up to do some cowboy poo poo and knock his head off his shoulders

e: apparently that promo was after that video so yeah I guess that's where it started

I did some more digging and it looks like it's the promo after his match against Pac at Wrestlegate Pro before Double or Nothing that starts the Cowboy poo poo chants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRjs7WKmes

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Alaois posted:

We were chanting Cowboy poo poo at All Out so it definitely happened before that.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Cowboy poo poo promo was originally for the Jericho Match.

Either on BTE or a Road to... show. I think BTE where he pops his stitches from the Judas Effect.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

karmicknight posted:

Either on BTE or a Road to... show. I think BTE where he pops his stitches from the Judas Effect.
I don’t think it was. I’m pretty sure it was on a Dynamite, because the following BTE had Chuckie complaining that he was allowed to say poo poo on TV

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

karmicknight posted:

jesus WEP posted:

I don’t think it was. I’m pretty sure it was on a Dynamite, because the following BTE had Chuckie complaining that he was allowed to say poo poo on TV

fez_machine posted:

I did some more digging and it looks like it's the promo after his match against PAC at Wrestlegate Pro before Double or Nothing that starts the Cowboy poo poo chants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRjs7WKmes

Timeline:
1. Hangman and PAC are booked for Double or Nothing in Las Vegas
2. PAC can't travel to the U.S. for Double or Nothing
3. PAC is booked at U.K. promotion Wrestlegate Pro but suddenly an unannounced Hangman appears to challenge
4. The have their Double or Nothing match at Wrestlegate Pro
5. Hangman cuts a promo saying how it's "Cowboy poo poo" to fly halfway around the world to wrestle for an indie promotion in the U.K just so that people can get the match that was advertised
6. Cowboy poo poo catches on as a chant in the building.
7. Hangman adds Cowboy poo poo to his twitter bio
8. People start responding to Hangman using #CowboyShit
9. After Double Fyter Fest/ The Young Bucks have their last indie match against Private Party at House of Glory
10. There's interference from the HoG heels but Hangman turns up unannounced to buckshot lariat them
11. Hangman cuts a promo saying it's "Cowboy poo poo" to fly halfway across the continent to wrestle for an indie promotion in N.Y. at a moment's notice
12. During his promo against Chris Jericho for All Out, Cowboy poo poo catches on in the building.
13. Hangman has an interview with Jim Ross leading up to All Out where he says "Cowboy poo poo" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5mBi2r2UQc (The famous stitches promo doesn't have Cowboy poo poo, but Blood and Guts instead)
14. At All Out, people no longer need to primed they're just chanting Cowboy poo poo straight from the entrance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWmMg7ig_eo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So I'm looking at some stats over on Cagematch, and uh...I've got a question.

What happened in the five years between 2006 and 2011 to cause Dave Meltzer not to hand out any five star matches in that period? Was wrestling worldwide in that big of a slump in that time?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vandar posted:

What happened in the five years between 2006 and 2011 to cause Dave Meltzer not to hand out any five star matches in that period? Was wrestling worldwide in that big of a slump in that time?

Blood Generation vs Do Fixer was just that good

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

WWE never became a five star contender until NXT got hot, New Japan was rebuilding, All Japan & NOAH were flailing some, lucha and the U.S. indies weren't regularly rated by Dave, and TNA was TNA.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

All the 4.75 matches between Do Fixer/Blood Generation and Cena/Punk:

12.08.2006 Ring Of Honor Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness
16.09.2006 Ring Of Honor Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA
29.10.2006 Pro Wrestling NOAH KENTA vs. Naomichi Marufuji
15.07.2007 Pro Wrestling NOAH KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Kota Ibushi & Naomichi Marufuji
25.08.2007 Ring Of Honor Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima
29.12.2007 Ring Of Honor Austin Aries vs. Nigel McGuinness
05.04.2009 World Wrestling Entertainment Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
06.09.2009 Dragon Gate USA Bryan Danielson vs. Naruki Doi
27.03.2010 Dragon Gate USA BxB Hulk, Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi vs. CIMA, Dragon Kid & Gamma
28.03.2010 World Wrestling Entertainment Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
19.06.2010 Ring Of Honor Davey Richards vs. Tyler Black
26.06.2011 Ring Of Honor Davey Richards vs. Eddie Edwards

So I guess the story of the five star drought is "Danielson wasn't quite good enough"

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
What is a really good Chikara Cibernetico?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

I Before E posted:

All the 4.75 matches between Do Fixer/Blood Generation and Cena/Punk:

15.07.2007 Pro Wrestling NOAH KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Kota Ibushi & Naomichi Marufuji

Okay this sounds dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay this sounds dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9TTtqldZs

It owns