Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

Coming out of the theater, my friend and I both agreed that Scary Stories would have been a great time if we were still 16/17 and had gone to see it with a group of friends.

It also does the autumnal, Halloween stuff in the first act pretty well. I would have loved that in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my mom didnt realize tales from the crypt was an adult show so i watched that when i was little my first horror "movie" was saw ii

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Going back to good stuff in bad movies, the 2010 NOES does have a couple really creepy lines and Freddy's final plan for Nancy is legitimately more frightening than anything he's ever done.

Sadly the movie focuses way too much on the rape implications of that than it needed to.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I didn't realize Coffin Joe died last month

Rip

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Arachnophobia needs more love. Such a great film.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Showing Arachnophobia to a young child is legit abuse.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I loving loved it as a little kid so ymmv I guess

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It would be less cruel to give your young son a pack of cigarettes, or even a loaded pistol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

By the way what happened to that poster who wanted to show school kids Cannibal Holocaust as a after school thing

I assume jail?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drunkboxer posted:

I loving loved it as a little kid so ymmv I guess

I only saw parts of it as a kid but even back then I recognized the comedy in it. I mean it has John Goodman decked out like Spider-Fighting Batman. The only parts that affected me were the spiders getting squished because I always thought bug and spider guts were gross, especially in movies.

Neither arachnids nor insects ever scared me :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

By the way what happened to that poster who wanted to show school kids Cannibal Holocaust as a after school thing

I assume jail?

They stopped posting after we gathered around with pitchforks and open flames.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Arachnophobia is a good movie. It's not quite Tremors good, but it's well made and entertaining, and that end sequence is legit. I saw it in the theater when I was 8 and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tremors and Arachnaphobia would.make a good double feature

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arachnophobia works because the whole movie is just little spiders crawling around preying on your fear of that kind of poo poo. And the end sequence of a zillion spiders is kinda crazy but also like within the realm of imagination of something we really do dread and imagine when you're in a dark basement and run into a huge rear end web. For just a second you think you're covered in a zillion spiders and the nightmare is real.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If they made it now, it would be a bunch of unconvincing cg spiders doing cartoony poo poo. Those live spiders and props on filament line really sell it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I remember seeing a making of for Arachnaphobia and it seemed pretty neat.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

My first horror movies as a child were The Lost Boys and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Lost Boys was scarier.

I'm in the exact same boat. I grew up in a beach town so my imagination went spinning that people around me could suddenly vamp out on the boardwalk and stuff like that. Leatherface is really obviously scary but the vampires could be next to you the whole time and you'd never know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lost Boys definitely had a "your brother's sketchy weirdo friends" and "your mom's too nice boyfriend" relatability vs TCM's "driving through desolate locations and going into creepy strange houses" thing which I just have never done at any stage of my life.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Poltergeist was my first horror movie (I think). Put me off eating chicken and using the heater in the bathroom for a while.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

BioTech posted:

I can recommend Frank & Lola if you want a scary, intense Michael Shannon.
That movie deserves more attention.

Couple of pages back, thanks for the recommendation

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Lost Boys definitely had a "your brother's sketchy weirdo friends" and "your mom's too nice boyfriend" relatability vs TCM's "driving through desolate locations and going into creepy strange houses" thing which I just have never done at any stage of my life.

Are those .. not normal child hood activities

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

Are those .. not normal child hood activities

I got lost in the woods exactly one time in my life, some weirdos in a van blocked the road, and people got out of the car to go investigate and I responded with "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING!? HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN A loving MOVIE?! God drat it, I can't sit here and watch you die... does someone have a bat?"

Us city kids have different instilled stuff.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I pretty much had nightmares until I was an adult about knowing someone close to my family was a monster but no one would listen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Spiders aren’t scary.

They don’t fly like bees. You can out run a spider. You can’t put run 🐝

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Spiders are pretty fast. Like sure in a straight on hundred yard dash you could win.

Not in a claustrophobic basement. You got no room to manuever.

Plus you got the spider rule of see one there's ten more.

Also the spider has a gun.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 4, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If I really liked Let the Right One In, how would I feel about the english remake? Worth seeing?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

If I really liked Let the Right One In, how would I feel about the english remake? Worth seeing?

I might be in the minority but I like Let Me In. I'm of the mind that that book is so dense that you have to watch both movies and read it to get the full sense of the story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked it. Its largely the same story but I think Chloe Grace Moretz does a strong job and plays a more sinister monster. I think I compared it to seeing a play with two different quality casts who just have different performances.

And yeah, its a story I think has a lot going on and benefits from rewatches so the remake kind of plays a bit like a rewatch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I liked it. Its largely the same story but I think Chloe Grace Moretz does a strong job and plays a more sinister monster. I think I compared it to seeing a play with two different quality casts who just have different performances.

And yeah, its a story I think has a lot going on and benefits from rewatches so the remake kind of plays a bit like a rewatch.

When you read the book it seems like every single character, even peripheral ones, are fleshed out and have something to do. There's things that Let Me In taps into, mostly overall tone and aesthetically, that LTROI doesn't quite get at. I also love the casting in Let Me In.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

One of the few cases where the remake is as good as the original.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Nice. LTROI is great and I've watched it a few times now so a different acting take on a similar story might be up my alley. A more sinister Eli might also be interesting since LTROI ends up as slightly off, sad, lonely romance.

Thanks!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think it's also one of the few examples of how you can coherently Americanize (or at least Westernize) a story that is so forthrightly Swedish/European. There's enough touches added in Let Me In to give it a strong sense of place.

It's one thing I'm kind of scared of with this Parasite adaptation - it's a powerful and universal story about class but a lot of the details seem specifically Korean and I don't know how/if they'll translate if not handled carefully.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flashy_mcflash posted:

When you read the book it seems like every single character, even peripheral ones, are fleshed out and have something to do. There's things that Let Me In taps into, mostly overall tone and aesthetically, that LTROI doesn't quite get at. I also love the casting in Let Me In.

Yeah, I haven't read the book but when I watched the original I had a lot of ideas about the relationship between vampire and protecter that the movie didn't really touch on or dig into, and the remake goes a little more into that. I think its an interesting watch in that way.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Read the book! It's a good book and I'm positive it'll enhance your enjoyment of both films.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Us city kids have different instilled stuff.

It was creepy abandoned buildings and old graveyards for me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I was a kid I'd mostly hang around in Industrial areas and do a ding dong dash at the local drug kingpin's house.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

It was creepy abandoned buildings and old graveyards for me.

Dark overpasses, alleyways, and narrow poorly lit hallways.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've lived in the city my whole life, but my family has always enjoyed the outdoors, camping and traveling to old cabins and stuff, so I learned to fear dark alleys and scary empty streets as much as the woods, abandoned farms, old cemeteries, swamps, etc. I've also always lived by large bodies of water for most of my life, so there's a special creepiness of getting in a two-person boat and going up a creek on an overcast day and really not seeing anyone and knowing that if something happens, you're easily isolated.

I've also done my share of exploring abandoned places. A group of friends and I walked through an abandoned clinic/hospital/medical facility, which was especially terrifying and not a good idea, but nothing actually happened.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

LMAO at posers in this thread not reading from the necronomicon as a preteen and summoning demons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I found Lovecraft and Current 93 back in like 9th grade and ever since I've been haunted by elder gods and depression demons