Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Boneworks was also pretty uniquely rough for the way they handled climbing - your arms were still physics objects that could only apply force, and they were pretty weak, so your real life hand position would pretty quickly get de-synched from your in game hand position and you would start wobbling and bobbling around as you climbed. Compare that to the ladder at ~1:05 in that third video where it's smooth and locked 1:1 (from what it looks like) with your real life hands, so it should be much more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bardeh posted:

The first VR game I ever played was Boneworks and hoo boy that was a trial by fire. I drat near fell over the first time I started walking ingame, it's an extremely weird sensation before you get used to it. Luckily I'm not prone to motion sickness so once I got used to it I could play just fine.

I must be in the lucky minority to basically not feel anything weird like that, figuring out I could enable walking was an instant relief. The only real disorienting feeling I've had was getting used to how the walls look when you walk straight up to them closer than you would in real life, which was more of a weird side issue.
I guessed it was related to being effectively immune to motion sickness IRL and my job having lots of chances to push the limits of that, but who knows.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

stev posted:

Ugh it looks really loving good. I hope I can spring for a new PC and headset at least within the next year.

I'm sure it's less weird in-game but the jump-forward to move mechanic was really disorienting. It just sort of pings you from frame to frame without any transition at all. At least in video it looks like I'd spent a couple of seconds working out where I am every time I do it.

I think we need to add to the OP and the thread title that :siren::siren:YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE TELEPORT IF YOU DONT WANT TO:siren::siren:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Half Life: Alyx: I cant belive they're forcing me to play with portals!!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine VR Deathmatch though

Teleport vs Locomotion

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rec Room mixes both and it works fine

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

One of the gameplay videos showed teleporting, and at a few times the player moved around a few feet without teleporting, such as moving up to a window to look out it at enemies

Taking advantage of being able to determine your playspace which I suppose tells the game how much the view can move around without teleporting?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You can move around your play space when using stick locomotion too.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

SCheeseman posted:

You can move around your play space when using stick locomotion too.

You can, but my body very quickly becomes used to stick locomotion and stops moving in reality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Vinylshadow posted:

Teleport vs Locomotion
Game could show a transparent silouette moving to your teleportation target, which would represent what the other players would see in-game, before actually teleporting you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vinylshadow posted:

Teleport vs Locomotion

Payday 2 lets you do teleport or locomotion and they both work fine.

Its co-op but it proves the concept is workable.

If you teleport it animates your character walking between the points quickly, and if you teleport multiple times in succession your teleport distances goes down to compensate for your "move speed".

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Thinking of asking for a VR set for my birthday for my brother and I to use. Any affordable and good quality options? Looking for something less than 500 USD.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bremen posted:

You can, but my body very quickly becomes used to stick locomotion and stops moving in reality.

In Blade & Sorcery I tend to use both, since pulling off certain moves requires a fair amount of space and getting myself oriented means avoiding hitting walls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skaianDestiny posted:

Thinking of asking for a VR set for my birthday for my brother and I to use. Any affordable and good quality options? Looking for something less than 500 USD.

There's only really 3 headsets worth considering right now,

The Rift S, the Quest, and the Index.

The Index is the super expensive option so that's right out.

The Rift S and Quest are both $400 I think? And so between those you just need to pick if you'd prefer to have the option to go mobile or if you're always going to be playing on a PC.

There's a VR megathread with and OP that has lots of details on HMD headsets and the differences therein, and people who can give you good advise on which is best for you.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This is the VR Megathread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021

But the tldr; is that you will be choosing between the Rift S and the Quest and there isn't really a clear winner. You will have to evaluate the pros and cons of each and make a decision (and maybe even return the product and try another if, for example, you get the Rift S and find out the fixed IPD doesn't play well with your biology).

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man once the source SDK comes out for this game VR modders are going to have a field day with it the more I look at gameplay videos of this

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

boredsatellite posted:

Man once the source SDK comes out for this game VR modders are going to have a field day with it the more I look at gameplay videos of this

That's what I'm hoping for myself - Alyx looks great, but it's only one game, and VR needs some quality content.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

#BringbackHalfLifeShitPostModsButNowTheyAreInVR

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Teleport vs Locomotion

Great, now I want to telefrag in VR. Bring back gibs!

More HL:A with developer commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9FvzTEH3Z8

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

They should have made it In Space since free-floating movement with propulsion and grabbing/pushing off walls is far and away the easiest and most natural feeling locomotion.

Stupid gravity

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AndrewP posted:

They should have made it In Space since free-floating movement with propulsion and grabbing/pushing off walls is far and away the easiest and most natural feeling locomotion.

Stupid gravity

Ehhhh, sorta. Echo Arena has plenty of complications.

The Half-Life setting is also pretty important to the sell here.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's funny how revolutionary the game seems to be, when 90% of it comes from "what if we gave all props physics"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a big deal though and not at all common.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

In a very ironic move, Valve just released the preorder bonus SteamVR Home environments, which includes remakes of the iconic HL2 playground assets ...except they didn't add any physics to them.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

ymgve posted:

It's funny how revolutionary the game seems to be, when 90% of it comes from "what if we gave all props physics"

Yeah, which was also one of Half-Life 2's main selling points. HLA's physics are obviously a bit more refined and realistic, but ultimately it's not that big of a leap - it's just that the wider industry largely failed to copy the physprops model and stuck to largely bolted-down environments with the occasional destruction physics thrown in.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Based on the gameplay videos the game looks extremely pretty, extremely polished and extremely derivative, without a single innovative idea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Based on the gameplay videos the game looks extremely pretty, extremely polished and extremely derivative, without a single innovative idea.

Wrap it up Valve the game sucks, Jack Trades has weighed in

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wrap it up Valve the game sucks, Jack Trades has weighed in

Feel free to point out the innovative ideas that were shown in the gameplay videos because I've played enough VR games to not be wowed by the "point at a thing and pull the trigger until the thing dies" and "move aside a bunch of trash with your gun to get the thing" mechanics anymore. :shrug:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack Trades posted:

Feel free to point out the innovative ideas that were shown in the gameplay videos because I've played enough VR games to not be wowed by the "point at a thing and pull the trigger until the thing dies" and "move aside a bunch of trash with your gun to get the thing" mechanics anymore. :shrug:

Whether it's innovative or not remains to be seen, but what's wrong with a solid Half-Life game with updated graphics and VR? If anything, it seems like the most common-sense thing in the world.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chaosapiant posted:

a solid Half-Life game with updated graphics

literally all anyone ever wanted from HL3 lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Whether it's innovative or not remains to be seen, but what's wrong with a solid Half-Life game with updated graphics and VR? If anything, it seems like the most common-sense thing in the world.

I didn't say there was anything wrong about what I've seen or that the game looked bad. In fact I said that it looked very visually impressive and polished, just not innovative in any way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Well it looks not janky which is a huge innovation after 300 hours of getting my arms stuck on stuff in Boneworks

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's no way to tell from those carefully rehearsed demos. We'll only know a few weeks from now how it actually holds up and if it becomes janky during regular play.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Much like there is no way to tell from these carefully rehearsed demos if there is no innovation in the game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You're being mighty defensive about this video game that hasn't even come out yet, especially considering literally nobody has said anything negative about it.
You got a friend working at Valve or something?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't played a lot of VR shooters, but the yanking open the car door to use as cover isn't something I've seen done before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

You're being mighty defensive about this video game that hasn't even come out yet, especially considering literally nobody has said anything negative about it.
You got a friend working at Valve or something?

I dont and im reasonably sure I'll enjoy the game, but saying there is no innovation in this video game that hasnt even come out yet that literally nobody has said anything negative about is a big stretch

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ymgve posted:

So, Half-Life 2.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

We're not at the stage with VR where we need more innovation. We're at the stage where we need more AAA titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

We're not at the stage with VR where we need more innovation. We're at the stage where we need more AAA titles

A full length story driven single player AAA game in VR is pretty innovative now that you mention it.