Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

And it really hit home just how loving stupid a significant part of the population truly loving is. That should be filled with poo poo tickets. Noooope just panic buy in one day by loving morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Srs : I know AI is probably the only forum that could just roll on without a moderator but anyone seen Adiabatic lately? Seems to be oddly quiet on fronts. He is okay?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Our (forums) god has forsaken us

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Srs : I know AI is probably the only forum that could just roll on without a moderator but anyone seen Adiabatic lately? Seems to be oddly quiet on fronts. He is okay?

Yeah the February Honeypot was a bit too quiet.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 4, 2020

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I picture an mr2 being driven in anger through the hills of (West Virginia?) by our favorite dinosaur, chewing a fat cigar. Lost track of time is all. He’ll be back.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Humphreys posted:

OK which Capri are we talking here?

Or

I know in my heart it's the second :(

It's definitely the second. Everyone wants a cheaply put together FWD Miata knockoff that leaked water into the cabin when it was new

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Is he on Facebook or anything else? It's starting to get worrisome

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

He is. I just sent him a PM, we'll see if he replies in this lifetime.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He's a busy guy and I wouldn't blame him one bit if he wanted to bow out of moderating tbh.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And it really hit home just how loving stupid a significant part of the population truly loving is. That should be filled with poo poo tickets. Noooope just panic buy in one day by loving morons

I live 40 miles from where 9 people just died of confirmed COVID-19.

My local grocery store has, uh, slightly less bottled water tand rice then usual, no empty shelves to speak of.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A couple from the extended March thread:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh FFS they Barra`ed a Gen 1 RX7. First Barra swap I am genetically bound to loving HATE

Kind of want to see that.
There's a second-gen one being done in the US, of all places: https://www.facebook.com/TheAutomotiveObsession/posts/fc-rx7-barra-swap-in-progress-in-america/2533161710105728/
Then there's this one with juuuuuust a little set-back: https://www.facebook.com/Mdsfab/posts/3172272316133060?hc_location=ufi&comment_id=Y29tbWVudDoyNTMzMTYxNzEwMTA1NzI4XzI1MzY5ODMxNzMwNTY5MTU%3D
Not finding the first gen with a casual search.

[quote="MomJeans420" post="post502987930"]
I got tickets to see them at the Hollywood Bowl this coming June, logged on the second I could and I still had 2000 people in front of me in Ticket Master's "waiting room." Eventually I got on, a lot of the good seats had already been taken then put up for resale, I found some reasonably priced ones and TM gave me a "hold on we're securing your seats message." After 10 mins of that, I gave up, tried other more expensive seats - same thing. Eventually changed from Chrome to Firefox, had a small wait again, then had to pay WAY too much to buy two terrace seats on resale.

After all that, they announced a second night due to high interest, I don't even want to log on to see if I could be saving hundreds on tickets.
[/quote]

All the scalpers and resale services that encourage this bullshit can eat my entire rear end.
Real fans either end up with poo poo seats or paying out the wazoo so some random jerkoff can profit. As if the ticket prices (and bullshit fees) weren't enough.

Ferremit posted:

I just got told off by our work safety guy.

One of our keepers came and asked us in maintenance if there was a solvent that would dissolve silicone sealant. I flippantly suggested ClF3...

Apparently he went to the work safety guy, who’s also our vet, to ask if it was safe to use on frog tanks to not hurt the frogs and he looked up the SDS for it.

I’m apparently no longer allowed to suggest chemicals that set asbestos on fire as solutions to coworker problems!

Ah, yes, that's the one that sets concrete, sand, water, and test engineers on fire, isn't it?

You Am I posted:

So 8 years ago?

Yes. Didn't you notice?
argh, 2021, but I'm leaving the typo.

STR posted:

I'm already well stocked on Dude Wipes, thank you very much.

So, that bit there about being flushable isn't a lie, exactly, but those things are apparently a major cause of fatbergs. Well, mainly the ones intended for babies and ladies, but same thing with different perfumes.
So don't flush them if you like plumbing that works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bloomberg is out. Now we just need Biden to have a stroke.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah flushable wipes are a great source of income for plumbers, We had to rid my mother in law's house of every wipe she had because she wouldn't stop flushing them plumbers aren't cheap.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I use wipes exclusively. I accidentally flushed a cap to a hair spray down the tube too.

Me irl.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Elviscat posted:

I live 40 miles from where 9 people just died of confirmed COVID-19.

My local grocery store has, uh, slightly less bottled water tand rice then usual, no empty shelves to speak of.

Just for shits and grins I went to Mountain House (popular supplier of freeze-dried, pre-prepared food for campers and backpackers); they are sold out on their website, sold out on Amazon, big-name online resellers are sold out, and even local stores (I live in NC), which online presences list status as being sold out. WTF?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Bloomberg is out. Now we just need Biden to have a stroke.

What makes you think he hasn’t had one already or that another will change anything. Confused angry grandpa is very on-brand

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tremek posted:

What makes you think he hasn’t had one already or that another will change anything. Confused angry grandpa is very on-brand

I mean the kind where blood pours out his eyes and ears.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sold my Saab for within 2.5% of my target price!

Nice guy cancelled due to a wife injury (and I think he is legit), so I texted guy who i didn't really think much of when I spoke to him on the phone - and he happened to be viewing another car nearby so came here too.

Nicer than he seemed on the phone, former engineer who owns lots of other weird cars and has a very heavy right foot and says he plans to drive the poo poo out of it (and I believe him!) so it'll go to a better life than it leads clogging up my garage and only being driven every couple of months.

feeling sad but happy at the same time as after he picks it up next week I will have lots of space!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Is it bad that I want to know as little as possible about the person buying my car and to never hear from them again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is not weird and is in fact 100% normal.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Is it bad that I want to know as little as possible about the person buying my car and to never hear from them again

Junkyards rarely call so yeah, makes sense.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tremek posted:

That's usually how I let it happen. Last I heard about the Beretta I sold in 2013, the guy who bought it stripped the threads on the cylinder head while changing the spark plugs. No idea what happened to it after that but I bet it involved a junkyard. :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

I use wipes exclusively. I accidentally flushed a cap to a hair spray down the tube too.

Me irl.

“Water go down hooooooole!”

Rhyno posted:

That is not weird and is in fact 100% normal.

This is why I refuse to sell to friends or family, usually. I don’t want to hear about it or work on it anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I once traded a Jeep in that no longer had an AC compressor and they called me and told me I needed to pay for that repair since I didn't mention it when I traded it in. As I had paid the balance in cash I told them I wouldn't be doing that and hung up.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tremek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcnSpd9qLOg

Since we live in the darkest timeline, it'll be Biden vs Trump and the debates will just be two semi-coherent walking corpses rambling angrily at nothing with large chunks of dialogue being subtitled as [unintelligible]. Maybe one of them will poo poo themselves on stage, or attempt to grope their podiums.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Tremek posted:

Seems reasonable to me. I sold my house through a corporate relocation and was 2,000 miles away by the time it was listed for sale. I know, from my realtor, that the buyer was a she and that's literally it. I signed a bunch of documents that allowed the relo company to handle most of the paperwork on my behalf. I don't think I even have a copy of the actual closing documents with the buyers name on it. It was great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

No, but sometimes I meet cool people and chat with them longer than I usually do.

Darchangel posted:

This is why I refuse to sell to friends or family, usually. I don’t want to hear about it or work on it anymore.

I sold our LS430 to a friend a few years ago but I knew it was a good car so I wasn't worried about it. She loves it and hasn't had any problems with it.

Questionable cars tho? No way.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

I once traded a Jeep in that no longer had an AC compressor and they called me and told me I needed to pay for that repair since I didn't mention it when I traded it in. As I had paid the balance in cash I told them I wouldn't be doing that and hung up.

When I traded in my Civic (still miss that car) I told the dude literally everything wrong with it and got $300 over the KBB trade in value because apparently the shop guy thought he could get an amazing deal out of it

Bear in mind, it had one headlight, and the bumper and grille were drift stitched together from at least 3 separate pieces, on top of mechanical issues I told him about

More likely they were just excited to get rid of the Capri and were giving me every deal and sweet talking me the whole time, but I choose to believe what the dealership's shop guy told me

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I don’t want anything to do with the buyer of my shitheap cars that have seen much neglect and questionable repairs over the years.

I’m soon going to be selling the house that I built with my own two hands 13 years ago. I can’t wait to have to deal with the buyers inspectors. I actually built this thing with the intention that my family would live in it forever, but my knowledge of building was rather limited.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Nope. My WJ was the first car I've sold on FB and I about had a heart attack when I saw a message pop up from the buyer like a week later...

...he was just asking me again what oil I had been running in it :v: I saw it around town months later so clearly the 4.7 hadn't imploded yet.

Rhyno posted:

Holy loving :lol:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

No that is what we all usually hope for, but the kid I sold that little Honda Today to follows me on IG and he is in love with that thing. Makes me happy to see.

And the young guy I recently sold a Skyline to messaged me raving about it and apologizing over and over for some stuff (he insisted on paying through paypal and it cost us both a bunch in fees and he used a shipper he found and both would have been easier if he had just trusted me and used my methods).

So it is nice to hear positive, but YES ideally you get the money and then they fall off the face of the earth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The guy who bought the Lightning texted me "there's a problem with the truck" but I never responded. Later found out he'd totaled it but I don't know if it was the same day.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

That's incredible. What did they expect, "oh okay! I'll be right down with my checkbook!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

That's incredible. What did they expect, "oh okay! I'll be right down with my checkbook!"

I have no idea. They're owned and run by a guy with known cocaine convictions so maybe he hands it out with the bonus checks. I mentioned ages ago that they took a Nissan 240sx in on trade and gave the woman who traded it in $500 in trade value after they convinced her it had no value and they then priced it at $8000 on the lot and later sold it at auction for much more. And the salesman bragged about it on FB.

Preferred Auto in Fort Wayne in case you need to know where to never buy a car.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No, but sometimes I meet cool people and chat with them longer than I usually do.

Modus Man posted:

I don’t want anything to do with the buyer of my shitheap cars that have seen much neglect and questionable repairs over the years.

everdave posted:

No that is what we all usually hope for, but the kid I sold that little Honda Today to follows me on IG and he is in love with that thing. Makes me happy to see.

And the young guy I recently sold a Skyline to messaged me raving about it and apologizing over and over for some stuff (he insisted on paying through paypal and it cost us both a bunch in fees and he used a shipper he found and both would have been easier if he had just trusted me and used my methods).

So it is nice to hear positive, but YES ideally you get the money and then they fall off the face of the earth

Shitheap cars, yeah - I want them out of my life but I loved this one and I'm overly sentimental about it the car as I have owned it for 16 years.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So, "buyer beware" only applies to you, not the dealer, eh? :fuckoff: You didn't *ask* if it had working AC, either.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I sold our LS430 to a friend a few years ago but I knew it was a good car so I wasn't worried about it. She loves it and hasn't had any problems with it.

I have friends and family that could break ball bearings in a sandbox.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

So, "buyer beware" only applies to you, not the dealer, eh? :fuckoff: You didn't *ask* if it had working AC, either.

I have friends and family that could break ball bearings in a sandbox.

They did an inspection, it's not my fault they were dummies.

MS6 is up for sale. Makes me a little sad to even post the ad.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The person that bought my 99 Forester that I never should have sold money shifted it and threw the timing belt and ruined the engine. Still mad about that, I put a TON of work into it making it perfect. It was rust free too >:(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The guy who bought the Lightning texted me "there's a problem with the truck" but I never responded. Later found out he'd totaled it but I don't know if it was the same day.

I sold my old E36 to some guy for $600 or some poo poo cheap like that, because it developed a ton of issues relatively quickly and I just didn't want to deal with it. Namely it wouldn't start on its own, but you COULD bump start it and it would go, and also it had some kind of power issue where you would be driving at a steady speed/accelerator input and then all of the sudden it would stutter and buck like crazy UNLESS you pressed the accelerator all the way down? So I would just full throttle/no throttle/repeat to maintain a safe speed when that would happen until it would "clear" itself out.

I was pretty up-front about it and in my ad suggested that the buyer have it towed home. This guy basically looked at it for two minutes, said "Yeah I'll take it, lemme just head into town for a few hours and I'll come back with the money." I asked where he was from and it ended up being a city like nearly 2 hours away by freeway, and I asked if he was going to get a truck and trailer or something and he said he was just gonna drive it back. I was like "Uhh, you should REALLY not try driving this two hours, on the freeway, after dark. I'd get a tow or trailer."

Of course he didn't, and when my phone started blowing up like 15 minutes after he left, I ignored every single one of his calls :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I assume you didn't meet at your house? I made that mistake ONE time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

It was my parent's house lol. That was years ago now though.