Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Andrast posted:

what's the facism of game design?

Third person shooters based on movies.

With forced stealth sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Andrast posted:

linear levels in military-themed shooters

Weedle
May 31, 2006

do not think, just kill the other

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bowsette

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Khanstant posted:

that's turn based. rtwp is a niche extreme. turn based is people who cant be bothered to make tough choices so they need the whole system to stop and grind to a halt while they pick out a milquetoast option when they're told they are allowed to

This is the blaming the voters for the government's corruption of game design.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TBQH I could probably be persuaded to become history's greatest monster if people exploded in showers of loot when they died IRL.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

TBQH I could probably be persuaded to become history's greatest monster if people exploded in showers of loot when they died IRL.

Weird way to advocate raising the estate tax

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

riposte counters

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stux posted:

theyre probably just trying to vent about things sucking, which is a normal response, and constantly jumping down peoples throats for doing it sucks and you should stop

Talking about how humanity is going to go extinct is not a normal venting response. Its an alarmist one that triggers anxiety and just makes a lovely situation worse for people who don't know better and take it at word value.

I'm not telling ya'll to be happy and smiles about what happened, but its jumping to the extremes of despair that I'm sick of seeing. Cause if you really feel that way you need a better place to vent it than a video game chat thread.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rtwp would work really great if they allowed you to program your party members’ actions, like, say, ffxii’s gambit system or dragon age’s tactics system, but better

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

al-azad posted:

riposte counters

what the hell

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In this trying time, please remember to embrace your loved ones.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

I also like Odium, one of the weird eurojank rpgs of the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJL5Wx--d-Q

Is our resident poster named after this

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Rtwp would work really great if they allowed you to program your party members’ actions, like, say, ffxii’s gambit system or dragon age’s tactics system, but better

In theory yeah but nobody has made a good version of that

Ironically, I think it would be more easily accomplished using a turn-based system with a grid

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

There are AI scripts and you can set the game to auto-pause for basically any factor that could happen in a battle buuuuut just like FF12 and Dragon Age you're spinning 20 plates at once so it's an inelegant solution. When so much of the combat relies on an overwhelming action economy, not noticing your healer raged then got one shotted basically costs you the entire battle.

The secret of rtwp is winning before the enemy makes a single attack. I really enjoyed stealth in Pillars of Eternity, I love kiting monsters into my ambushes and poo poo but every scripted battle where the monsters get the jump on you is an absolute slog and same goes for Dragon Age.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm probably not the only one boycotting this months poll because of no Bowsette.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If any enemy in a rtwp game gives you the option to not fight you choose that dialog or you sneak your thief in, summon a bunch of monsters (monsters don't trigger cutscenes), skulltrap five times, force attack and watch the bloodbath.

Cowcaster posted:

what the hell

I'm willing to modify my stance and say simultaneous-attack-counter is worse. Riposte counters are a dictatorship, it could be benevolent or it could be satan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
make your own AI scripts???? how about the programmers make good AI instead of making me do all the work!!!!!! gently caress RT+P!!!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Talking about how humanity is going to go extinct is not a normal venting response. Its an alarmist one that triggers anxiety and just makes a lovely situation worse for people who don't know better and take it at word value.

I'm not telling ya'll to be happy and smiles about what happened, but its jumping to the extremes of despair that I'm sick of seeing. Cause if you really feel that way you need a better place to vent it than a video game chat thread.

doing a well actually because some rich people will be able to survive isnt helpful and sucks and all you do is come in here every now and again, quote someone who is obviously feeling bad, and tell them theyre bad. you should stop doing it or stop reading the thread and i dont really care which because your attitude sucks and youre toxic.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Love RTWP

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why would you need more than the rudimentary AI for RTWP? All RtwP games are easy and cheesey. I keep having to jump the difficulty in Kingmaker rn because every fight ends before I ever need to pause and plan something.

Lurdiak posted:

This is the blaming the voters for the government's corruption of game design.

the voters can guillotine the government at any time, we are all 2 blame... 4 game design...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stux posted:

doing a well actually because some rich people will be able to survive isnt helpful and sucks and all you do is come in here every now and again, quote someone who is obviously feeling bad, and tell them theyre bad. you should stop doing it or stop reading the thread and i dont really care which because your attitude sucks and youre toxic.

I'm literally trying to get people to be less toxic for themselves and you're just making poo poo worse with your entire attitude.

Your entire mentality and information is out of whack but you have no intention of changing it because you're set in your ways. Fine. If you wanna be that way then so be it, I can't force that to change. But stop dragging down other people with you. Its lovely and counterproductive to actually making things better. Its actively harmful and I'm speaking this as someone who was buying into that entire mentality a year ago and had to do a lot of work to mentally undo it.

Venting is fine but avoid alarmist talk. Its about being considerate of others.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
How about we stop concern-trolling

al-azad posted:

Abuse potions and scrolls. The game gives you them to use, don't be my first D&D group.

Real time with paused is meant to be abused. Use a tank to kite groups of enemies into a death tunnel of ranged attacks.

Summon magic is the best magic bar none. Then status affecting magic like slow, haste, and stinking cloud. Fireballs and poo poo are historically the least useful D&D spells despite their cool factor because D&D combat is all about action economy.

Sorry for the slow response, but I wanted to make sure I acknowledged and shared my appreciate for the advice.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Even in noted Good Game With RTWP, Europa Universalis 4, there comes a point where I just want to be able to tell my troops, “just win the war for me, I don’t feel like micromanaging you, I outnumber the enemy ten to one already for god’s sake, it’s a foregone conclusion, ahhh”

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Video Games can we get some modding in here your post didn't help

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

is this benny and cecil

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1235196034613207040

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
RTWP being associated with D&D games is weird because D&D is recently turn based

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm literally trying to get people to be less toxic for themselves and you're just making poo poo worse with your entire attitude.

Your entire mentality and information is out of whack but you have no intention of changing it because you're set in your ways. Fine. If you wanna be that way then so be it, I can't force that to change. But stop dragging down other people with you. Its lovely and counterproductive to actually making things better. Its actively harmful and I'm speaking this as someone who was buying into that entire mentality a year ago and had to do a lot of work to mentally undo it.

Venting is fine but avoid alarmist talk. Its about being considerate of others.

no one wants you to though so stop doing it. all you do is snipe at people that arent feeling great to tell them how bad they are and its really bad. saying stuff like "What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this post other than trying to drag every down to be just as depressed as you are" is genuinely disgusting stuff to be saying and is lashing out at people. stop doing it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does anyone else believe you guys when you say you play Eurolopea Vernisalis? maybe it's just me but Eurivalist Unipean IV just sounds like something somebody puts on their bookshelf to impress some qt europologist or whatever

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Khanstant posted:

does anyone else believe you guys when you say you play Eurolopea Vernisalis? maybe it's just me but Eurivalist Unipean IV just sounds like something somebody puts on their bookshelf to impress some qt europologist or whatever

eu4 is extremely inscrutable but also extremely rewarding and varied and fun once you get over the initial barrier

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

RTWP being associated with D&D games is weird because D&D is recently turn based

It's weird but it does make some sense. D&D is turn based out of necessity, but the action itself is real-time and you're able to concurrently do things or react to actions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stux posted:

no one wants you to though so stop doing it. all you do is snipe at people that arent feeling great to tell them how bad they are and its really bad. saying stuff like "What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this post other than trying to drag every down to be just as depressed as you are" is genuinely disgusting stuff to be saying and is lashing out at people. stop doing it.

I've literally done it twice. Once before, and once now. Acting like its a chronic thing is just you being disingenuous. I debated a long time on actually saying anything but I decided I liked this thread enough that I wanted to try and change the mentality. And you're right, I shouldn't of lashed out at that poster directly, but some of you are genuinely chronic negativity posters and seem to take joy in being as lovely as possible with stuff. Its mentally exhausting, and its ruining what is otherwise a pretty enjoyable thread for me. Its a rotten attitude that pervades this entire site.

You and snail in particular need to seriously reexamine your attitude towards stuff. Partly for your own sake, but since I doubt you'll do that how about doing it for people who are tired of reading that poo poo?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there an ironicat big enough for Stux telling someone else their posts are unwanted

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will never support RTWP (reading the whole post).

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

cheetah7071 posted:

As someone who was video game dark in the core CRPG years, and had a fun idea of making video games out of D&D modules, it's been enlightening to discover Baldur's Gate and others since that's basically what my idea was. It seems obvious, in retrospect, that the genre would exist.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Andrast posted:

Bullet hell garbage

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I've literally done it twice. Once before, and once now. Acting like its a chronic thing is just you being disingenuous. I debated a long time on actually saying anything but I decided I liked this thread enough that I wanted to try and change the mentality. And you're right, I shouldn't of lashed out at that poster directly, but some of you are genuinely chronic negativity posters and seem to take joy in being as lovely as possible with stuff. Its mentally exhausting, and its ruining what is otherwise a pretty enjoyable thread for me.

You and snail in particular need to seriously reexamine your attitude towards stuff. Partly for your own sake, but since I doubt you'll do that how about doing it for people who are tired of reading that poo poo?

next time you debate it, dont say anything. if you think someone is genuinely depressed saying what you said is insanely harmful and 10000x more toxic than someone having a freak out over the climate. its directly harmful and is intentionally piling self guilt on in a vindictive and nasty way. stop doing it. if people in here are chonically negative posters and you dont like it then dont read the thread. chiming in to slam someone with self guilt when you think theyre depressed is insanely gross behavior and if you cant control that urge then go away.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

all i asked for was RPGs where i could play as a druid and now even baldur's gate 3 doesn't have the druid class

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kerrzhe posted:

all i asked for was RPGs where i could play as a druid and now even baldur's gate 3 doesn't have the druid class

What's even the point then if you have to play 5e and can't be a druid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stux posted:

next time you debate it, dont say anything. if you think someone is genuinely depressed saying what you said is insanely harmful and 10000x more toxic than someone having a freak out over the climate. its directly harmful and is intentionally piling self guilt on in a vindictive and nasty way. stop doing it. if people in here are chonically negative posters and you dont like it then dont read the thread. chiming in to slam someone with self guilt when you think theyre depressed is insanely gross behavior and if you cant control that urge then go away.

An environment that just feeds into constant negativity and despair is way more harmful than that. Quit acting like your the one being considerate of others.

And its only a handful of people. Most people vent in normal ways. I admit I made a mistake but certain posters seriously need to reexamine how they view the world and how their rhetoric is impacting others. Someone in here in a past thread was just talking about their future and one of you felt the need to say "lol you be dead in 30 years so who cares". Its disgusting.

Feh. I'm going to class. Make your witty response and then leave it at that.