Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sadly the just released trade of it isn't in the sale, but Cry For Blood is probably the best Huntress story ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Sadly the just released trade of it isn't in the sale, but Cry For Blood is probably the best Huntress story ever.

It is awesome. I have the singles signed by Greg Rucka, and it's just a drat good miniseries. It's titled Batman/Huntress: Cry For Blood, but it would be much more appropriate to call it Batman/Huntress/Question: Cry For Blood.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm thinking about getting an iPad. I have an Android tablet that is perfectly okay when reading comics, but slow as poo poo navigating around comiXology or around the OS in general. I'd just like something nicer to use.

I don't have any other Apple devices and all I'll be doing with the tablet is comiXology, occasional PDF comic downloads, and (maybe) YouTube/Netflix. I want something that will let me network into my Windows PC for file transfer, which I'm assuming iOS can do, but please tell me if I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I'm looking at the new adjectiveless iPad and the iPad Mini. Any preference for comic reading? Looks like the iPad is larger and cheaper while the Mini has a better processor and "Fully laminated display, Antireflective coating, Wide color display (P3), True Tone display". Seems like a lot of display advantages, not sure if they are worth the extra $80 and loss of 2". (I'm perfectly fine reading on my 8" Android tablet).

Tl:dr; iPad or iPad Mini for comics reading?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 10" model displays a single page at almost the size of a real comic which is nice. I don't think the older processor will remotely hold you back. I'd save the money myself.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The 10" model displays a single page at almost the size of a real comic which is nice. I don't think the older processor will remotely hold you back. I'd save the money myself.

Welp, it's $50 off at Best Buy. Gonna grab one this evening and hold my nose at having a toy made by Apple not made for real work. /s It's how I would have thought 10 years ago. :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FWIW, I could see a tiny color difference between the two in my highly scientific test of "open the same image from comiXology previews on both", but it was slight and I didn't know which was "better" or more "true". It'll be weird having a big tablet after all these years of 7-8" ones, but it will be nice not having something that is junk two weeks after opening.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So, on Comixology, today there's a code "IMAGEFLASH" for 50% off all Image Comics released before 2/17, and there's also a 50% off "Image Sci-Fi" sale still going on until tomorrow, meaning that you can get books that are in the sale for 75% off. Includes Injection, Trees, Spread, Descender, Black Science/Low/Tokyo Ghost, Glory, Paper Girls, Revival, Prophet, other stuff.

edit: VVV not yet read Revival! Of the stuff in the sale, I've only actually read Glory (which I remember loving). Picked up Injection and Spread in the sale, and had already picked up (but not yet read) Revival, Descender, and Paper Girls in earlier sales. (I... seem to have a problem with backlog.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 4, 2020

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

onefish posted:

So, on Comixology, today there's a code "IMAGEFLASH" for 50% off all Image Comics released before 2/17, and there's also a 50% off "Image Sci-Fi" sale still going on until tomorrow, meaning that you can get books that are in the sale for 75% off. Includes Injection, Trees, Spread, Descender, Black Science/Low/Tokyo Ghost, Glory, Paper Girls, Revival, Prophet, other stuff.

Oh hey, I never finished reading Revival. Is that one worth seeing all the way through?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Decided to pick up Ascender / Descender. Excited!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The discounts don't stack right if you pick up a bundle.

Loaded individual volumes and, with my Comixology Unlimited discount on top, got the entire Paper Girls run for $16.

EDIT: Black Science for $25! This could get dangerous.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 5, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aw nuts, it expired. Oh well, still getting Manhattan Projects for $30. $20 would have been better but I’ll take it

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Comixology have a 2 day sale on Hulk comics if you use the code Hulk. However, some of the items they present for sale does not get the discount. Maybe they will fix it by tomorrow? :shrug:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 11, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a way to filter issue by release date in Marvel Unlimited? I have to let my sub lapse for a little while and would like to pick up where I left off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there a way to filter issue by release date in Marvel Unlimited? I have to let my sub lapse for a little while and would like to pick up where I left off.

You can filter by date if you're in a series list or filter by dates in the overall Browse feature. Like if you're doing one of those pan-Marvel chronological readthroughs you can go back to whatever month you were on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Are these any good?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...lade25_announce

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I really liked the Darkness first arcs, a bit too much Ennis but it was a good concept. The Compendium includes the first 40 which is about 15 after I quit reading.

I liked Witchblade too, though much of that was boobs and young dude, but I don't see that collection including the first issues

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Just saw that comixology unlimited are doing a 60 day free trial. Any recommendations?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
They have complete or nearly complete runs of Giant Days, Usagi Yojombo, Lone Wolf and Cub, Love and Rockets, The Boys, Locke & Key, Irredeemable.

For weirder stuff, they have a lot by Jason and Frank Woodring.

There’s some great Euro comics put out by Cinebook, Humanoids, and (of course) Europe Comics. I download stuff from those publishers randomly.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Unless they've changed a bit since I tried them last year, they pretty much just have the first four trades of most series for free. I can't remember a single series that wasn't owned by them that I could read start to stop.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

They have shitloads of Valiant. And Transformers, if that’s your bag.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Cheers everyone! It's a bit poo poo that they don't have the complete series for most things but sure I'll give it a go.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/boomstudios/status/1242182314047582209

goldie vance is good

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is there any way to browse Comixology's collection by age rating? I'm looking for more stuff to read to my 5 year old.

Similarly is there any way to browse which of Marvel Unlimited's collection is rated different age ranges?

I've had to mainly do self discovery here, and definitely don't agree with all the choices on ratings (she loves Squirrel Girl. Even if some of the jokes go over her head it definitely isn't 12+ to me.) It would still be a useful tool to find new stuff.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Chin Strap posted:

Is there any way to browse Comixology's collection by age rating? I'm looking for more stuff to read to my 5 year old.

You can browse by genre, https://comixology.com/Childrens/comics-genre/33

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

What do y'all think Marvel will do with Unlimited if there is a block of weeks-months with no comics. Will they close the physical release date to Unlimited release date gap up a bit to close that gap, or will they just try and charge with no new comics on the service for that gap? Same with DCU too. They have these buffers built in, but I'd be surprised if they did anything but just expect people to enjoy the fine library of books available in that lull.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think they will stop. Most or all of their work is done remotely, anyway, and digital distribution won't be affected.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I saw Bleeding Cool asking about what happens to digital if it's supposed to be same day as print and print is basically on hold. Was that ever answered?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Yeah but that's not the same thing. We are reading lots that aren't in there. It is just frustrating because they have their own age ratings as a metadata field, they should just let you filter on that.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Endless Mike posted:

digital distribution won't be affected.

I have not heard any statement specifically mentioning that digital distribution would continue. Have you?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shitshow posted:

I have not heard any statement specifically mentioning that digital distribution would continue. Have you?

No but until I hear that it’s stopping, the default assumption is it’s continuing, but you’re right that I shouldn’t state it as fact.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Well, this is weird.

I was reading ASM Masterworks volume 15 and it said there was an update.

I went back into the issue a while later and now it’s... Avengers Masterworks volume 15.

:D

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I saw Bleeding Cool asking about what happens to digital if it's supposed to be same day as print and print is basically on hold. Was that ever answered?

DC, at least, is continuing their digital distros.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fantagraphics has a sale going until April 23rd.

Comixology link

Tweet:
https://twitter.com/fantagraphics/status/1241488534575480833

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Quite a few can be borrowed on Unlimited but giving Fantagraphics money is always good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hadji murad posted:

Quite a few can be borrowed on Unlimited but giving Fantagraphics money is always good.

Or for people like me it's good because Comixology Unlimited isn't available in my country.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I guess because my Comixology account is linked to my American account I can get it.

I’m a Canadian in Japan but I’ve been a member for years.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

hadji murad posted:

I guess because my Comixology account is linked to my American account I can get it.

I’m a Canadian in Japan but I’ve been a member for years.

Yeah I only ever use a VPN to see the comics that are region-locked out of here. Which includes Transformers. :argh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DC is removing all new releases from comiXology, shifting them until the end of the month.
https://www.newsarama.com/49651-dc-s-april-1-titles-scheduled-for-april-28-on-comixology.html

Marvel has followed suit.
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-comics-digital-comics-print/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Uthor posted:

DC is removing all new releases from comiXology, shifting them until the end of the month.
https://www.newsarama.com/49651-dc-s-april-1-titles-scheduled-for-april-28-on-comixology.html

Marvel has followed suit.
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-comics-digital-comics-print/

It looks like Diamond is going to be unable to pay publishers for a while, so the strategy of withholding digital releases to protect the DM (which is almost certainly doomed anyway, at least in its current form) isn't going to be tenable for very long. I suspect things will look pretty different by the end of April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Public library users in the U.S. should have access to a lot of Fantagraphics books through Hoopla as well. Most of the major publishers are represented, although what is included from each often seems random. And each library will give users a different amount of checkouts per month, so keep that in mind too.