Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JustaDamnFool posted:

Do we know what happens if you fall off the edge of Throne?

I like to imagine reality just becomes more uncertain the further you get from Throne until at some point you stop being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MikeJF posted:

I like to imagine reality just becomes more uncertain the further you get from Throne until at some point you stop being.
The other possibility is you just fall on Throne, since reality is a wheel, sort of.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Joe Slowboat posted:

She's spent centuries in bitterness, stewing. "God will never forgive me for the hate I feel for that man."

But Incubus is still alive.

Hence, Incubus beat her - she retreated, she flinched, she hesitated.

I will say that you're probably partially right here, though. Maya definitely didn't kill Incubus, even when she probably could have as God of the seven-fold world, king of kings, and all that jazz. She definitely retreated, flinched, and hesitated. But I think what she ran from was the responsibility and what killing him would have represented, not from Incubus himself.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's also worth noting she and Incubus were apparently quite close before he killed Meti and the relationship shattered and soured. Given the amount of goblets around Maya's old throne and Incubus calling her a washed up drunkard, plus the personality traits she shows now and when younger, I'm guessing it went something like, she gathers power, raises an army, tells herself she's doing it to protect people, but the war is so horrible and everything she could try to protect crumbles. She's from one of Throne's moons, iirc - one that was used by a demiurge as a weapon and shattered. Her home is gone, her family dead, and unlike Sol Dave she buckles under the pressure and doesn't know how to build anything from the ashes. She's miserable, she's an alcoholic, she survives the war with the great deal of power but doesn't actually want any of it, and she dips and Incubus slips into her place, but then does things with the power that she immediately regrets.

I'm sure I'm wrong on some of this, but for the most part, the remaining demiurges all have something that power means to them and a reason to gain and hold onto that power, but we don't get a really clear idea of what Maya's goal was. We know as a young woman she wanted to prove she was strong, but there was also an element of wanting to protect people. Her leaving makes the most sense if she feels like she failed in whatever her goal was, I think. If she trusted Incubus, she might have felt he could handle things where she couldn't, only for him to do things that horrified her and for her to realize she no longer had the power to keep him in line.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1235067706262425601

very good alt text on this page

looks like allison is going to win by default after these angelic chumps blow each other up

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 4, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That is one destroyed egg.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Huge cans.

Carpenter Brut.

Let's go.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

President Ark posted:

looks like allison is going to win by default after these angelic chumps blow each other up

Except...that technically, she's already out by submission. If one were to rigidly uphold the rules, as we all know SolDave will, the tournament's already over for Allison.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

I'd been wondering about that Aesma thing

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

My point wasn't that Incubus isn't totally getting dunked on by the other demiurges constantly - my point is that I'm pretty sure they do that because they know he hates it.

The only one of them who has any interest in proper form and protocol is Solomon, who is snide to Incubus but recognizes him as a member of the Pact. There is no coherent logic to who's a 'legitimate' demiurge in their eyes because they're a bunch of extremely hosed up jerks who rule the cosmos. The only thing required to be a demiurge is claim a key and be able to defend it, but much like using the old meeting hall of the demiurges (and ostentatiously ki rata-ing the table apart) the Seven New Gods like to dress it up and act like there's a proper order. Like they're on top because of some reasonable question of succession, when they all know it's because they were better at killing and not being killed than every other philosopher-king-godhead.

Maya went from demiurge to, yes, washed-up drunk. She more or less says as much, because she's spent centuries having no way to get at Incubus and not being willing to try, until she saw Allison and got some ideas. That's not winning. Incubus, meanwhile, definitely 'won' their specific rivalry by claiming the key and being untouchable to her, but like... play stupid games, get stupid prizes. He's obsessed with winning in a way that means he will never actually be done. So while he may have really hurt Maya and made himself untouchable by her until our resident spanner in the works Kill Six Billion Demons arrived, he was also winding himself up and preparing for a new universal war. Ironically, they're both quite similar - they see Allison more clearly than the Demiurges and seek to find a way to use her. We don't know how Maya intends to, but Incubus has been surprisingly capable of reining himself in for eventual victory. We even see him trying very hard not to go into 'win at all costs' violence mode with Allison.

Anyways, every single Demiurge got hosed up by the Universal War and acquired various kinds of trauma and bad ideas. It's one of the things I really like about them, they're extremely human even as they're extremely awful cosmic tyrants; their power has exacerbated, not soothed, their preexisting issues. At least, of the ones we've met in depth.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Old angel siegmeyer asking for forgiveness? He better be powering up some rad move. He already had four arms. Maybe he's gonna pull an Asura's Wrath.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
maya absolutely dropped the key once her mentor was killed, as her final lesson. she knows exactly how right her mentor was in that she should have a happy life and never pick up the sword.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Meanwhile Cio has quietly left the arena to sort out her paperwork, has no idea what's going on.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if Solomon David can keep those attacks contained in the arena.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Grognan posted:

maya absolutely dropped the key once her mentor was killed, as her final lesson. she knows exactly how right her mentor was in that she should have a happy life and never pick up the sword.

Gives a bit more context and weight to the last panel of this page.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So is white chain about to go super sayan and suicide bomb Juggernaught Star and pull him into the void? I’m gonna go with a yes.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I was a bit worried about the combat performance of ya large boy, but then I read the alt-text and now I'm feeling pretty good.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Demiurge4 posted:

So is white chain about to go super sayan and suicide bomb Juggernaught Star and pull him into the void? I’m gonna go with a yes.

That's not going Super Saiyan. That's going Chiaotzu.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

shirts and skins posted:

Huge cans.

Carpenter Brut.

Let's go.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

iospace posted:

That is one destroyed egg.

He's weathered worse than some spicy jazz hands

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

reminder in this incubus debate that he was merely following meti's instructions to feed her dead body to rabid dogs, much like he was merely following her instructions to kill that mouse

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Cowcaster posted:

reminder in this incubus debate that he was merely following meti's instructions to feed her dead body to rabid dogs, much like he was merely following her instructions to kill that mouse

I don’t think ‘rabid’ enters into it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Hey now, those dogs were never specified to be rabid, and I think that's an unfair assumption to make about some good boys who needed their dinner.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Who What Now posted:

He's weathered worse than some spicy jazz hands

I believe that was referring to White Chain. I think 'egg' might be being used in the trans sense which means someone who does not realize they are transgendered. Seems like White Chain might have just been pushed to accepting something about herself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

reminder that destroying that slashy boy currently on the stage will not stop juggernaut star, because he is in fact a bicycle tire rolling around somewhere in the stands

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Oxxidation posted:

reminder that destroying that slashy boy currently on the stage will not stop juggernaut star, because he is in fact a bicycle tire rolling around somewhere in the stands

The fact that we haven't seen the Big Wheel anywhere is definitely worrying.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also it looks like 10 vigilant gaze is priming some sort of super punch with one of his hands and is still hanging on to it in the last panel he's in so that's something to look forward to

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1235296645706928134

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can you imagine playing D&D with Abbadon? That'd be so rad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna bet that Operant's character is the orc cook.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That look like a fun band of misfits. I want to hear about their adventures.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've done my duty to K6BD-up my own D&D group.

The main party has my wizard who is Royal As gently caress. Learned magic because he didn't want to actually do chores around the house; his first spell was Unseen Servant. He told the laws of nature to STFU and do the dishes. Acts as the face of the party, and yet his Charisma is 8. Has managed to get paid by both parties in multiple side missions through a combination of rules lawyering the agreements and utterly disregarding them. It's a joke that there's no plot hook too large for him to ignore.

Character portrait is here: https://www.deviantart.com/mattrhodesart/art/We-are-NOT-taking-the-wizard-626887777 (The picture came first. I decided I just had to roleplay this guy. My DM has posted in the comments about it.)

And to tie it back to that tweet, we have an Ogre chef in our backup party! Which also has a monk heavily based on Maya.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Who's the dork who chose to be a human? Give him a royal wedgie.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

Who's the dork who chose to be a human? Give him a royal wedgie.

It looks like they're a monk so tbqh they need all the charop help they can get just to exist, and variant human's a good start to that.

Edit: just to be clear what I'm saying is Mearles hates monks and the class underperforms hard, so the guy has already made incredible sacrifices to run a cool as gently caress but tragically weak class, so I can forgive them taking the twinked race.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 5, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

did 5e put more of an emphasis on people being weird races like driders? is that why every single NPC in the current season of The Adventure Zone is some weird, obscure, different thing?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

No that's just Travis

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No that's just Travis

thanks travis...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Patware posted:

did 5e put more of an emphasis on people being weird races like driders? is that why every single NPC in the current season of The Adventure Zone is some weird, obscure, different thing?
It's less 5e putting an emphasis on poo poo and more that the Actual Plays and various media properties drawing new blood into the tabletop hobby have a variety of different types of heritages being expressed and the fans playing 5e just want to be weird and diverse too, which is fine and good honestly because there's a lot of queer folks using that as self-expression after starting 5e and just kludging together house rules to play new things within the d20 framework.

Soon they will try things that aren't 5e and the real fun and weird self expressions will begin.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I can't speak to the podcast scene since I just play, but 5e has a balance that prefers to give buffs but not debuffs on races. Some races it still debuffs (Kobolds at -2 str) but it's still less than the same races in 3.5 (-4 str for Kobolds)!

So it's possible to be unique races and still actually be optimized for a class.

But it also added Variant Humans that gain a feat and still get a +1 stat, because the gods of D&D demand humans be the objectively best race even today.

(it's actually kobolds tho, and kenku)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hostile V posted:

It's less 5e putting an emphasis on poo poo and more that the Actual Plays and various media properties drawing new blood into the tabletop hobby have a variety of different types of heritages being expressed and the fans playing 5e just want to be weird and diverse too, which is fine and good honestly because there's a lot of queer folks using that as self-expression after starting 5e and just kludging together house rules to play new things within the d20 framework.

Soon they will try things that aren't 5e and the real fun and weird self expressions will begin.

well i mean people have always wanted to play weird stuff, i've done lizardfolk paladins and stuff, it's just that previous editions made it real hard to go outside the proscribed list