Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hi chat thread! I am playing the original version of Final Fantasy 7 for the first time in 21 years, as I don't have a PS4. I have named everyone after Naked Gun characters and for some reason this amuses me immensely. I think may be slightly mentally challenged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
In my recent playthrough of og ff7 what really stood out most was the charm of them obviously figuring out how to do this 3d thing and what they managed to pull off

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't Vagrant Story made by people who had never done 3d before

should've got those guys on FF7 instead

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

In my recent playthrough of og ff7 what really stood out most was the charm of them obviously figuring out how to do this 3d thing and what they managed to pull off

I can't stress how impressed I was seeing those blocky little models moving in real time on the CG backgrounds. That's what really set FF7 apart from other CG pre-rendered games like Resident Evil. Then Square started pulling this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lXYOszDHA&t=533s

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

parasite eve 2 would be so much better if it was just die hard the whole time instead of just the opening

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Homeless Snail, I owe you an apology. I could say this over PM but I think it is important for me to say it in public.

While I disagree with you on things and there are still views I have concerning our disagreement from last night that we wouldn't agree on, I think it's for the best if I own up to messing up.

I wasn't thinking clearly and as a result I lashed out at you and then when you fought back, I lashed out further.

My initial problem was that you used a phrase that came into popularity due to the events at Jonestown and that you had used that line as a response to someone talking about people with mental health issues and being burdened and being brought down and I thought that it was tasteless to respond with what you said since what you said was a line referencing a group of people willingly or being forced to commit mass suicide.

I'm sorry that I didn't make it clearer and I'm sorry that I reacted the way that I did and that I didn't make myself clearer because I feel like if I was in a better state of mind then I could have left it at "I think that that is a poor choice of words" instead of jumping to "did you tell her to kill herself" because, to be honest, I don't like you and I will admit to being biased against you when I see your posts so when I read that, I took it to be you trying to say that IK should kill herself.

I hosed up, I am sorry. You don't have to accept my apology and there's nothing I can do now to take back what I said or redo what I said then. Just because I don't like you doesn't mean I should have jumped to that conclusion because it doesn't give you a fair shake.

I won't ask you to forgive me and I won't dog you about this. I just want you to know, if you see this, that I did some thinking about what happened and while there are still certain parts of our argument that I agree with or disagree with, the way I went about it was all wrong and was handled very poorly and I want to at least say that I am sorry that I hurt you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hatty posted:

Is the new FF7 fan translation recommendable or is it overly literal garbage? The original script seemed fine to me as a dumb twelve year old but it’s pretty sloppy on a revisit

It's not a perfect translation, there's typos and weird grammar and some information is badly conveyed, but the original did manage to give everyone a distinct voice and make them sound, if not natural, more natural than the average localized video game of the era.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is "blackpilling"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is "blackpilling"

Gazing too long into the Reddit abyss

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is "blackpilling"

internet for nihilism

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is "blackpilling"

I would link a video that perfectly explains it but I guarantee someone stupid would start a derail about the person explaining it being secretly problematic because they liked a tweet once.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is "blackpilling"

incel nihilism

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It's not a perfect translation, there's typos and weird grammar and some information is badly conveyed, but the original did manage to give everyone a distinct voice and make them sound, if not natural, more natural than the average localized video game of the era.

the important question is how people translate climhazzard

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We had to take the car in to get checked because it keeps overheating. It's a water tank issue or something, it's busted and needs to be replaced, they said we're looking at ~$800 and also that they won't put in parts that we get ourselves even though they've done that in the past. Hoping that if KCB gets in touch with her sister's mechanic friend then maybe they can do the labor for us. The mechanic straight up told us he won't even do water tank replacement stuff and that we'd have to go to a dealership for that like.. haha no, I've heard that you wanna try to stay away from dealerships whenever you can.

Trigger warning: spoilering the rest but we saw a dead cat on the way back home.

Someone had hit a poor small black cat. They were very mangled. Their eyes had popped out of they head and I could see blood and poop and strands of what KCB said was probably brain matter.

I asked KCB to turn around because I wanted to get the cat. I've done this before, I'll see a dead cat on the road and just... the poor thing. They looked so pathetic and pitiful and, well, dead. Their eyes kept wobbling, still connected but dangling, and I have an OCD thing where I cannot under any circumstances touch certain things my body reads as "dirty" with my hands so I end up having to sorta improvise. I got an empty box and a drink carrier and used the drink carrier to scoop the poor cat into the box.

The box had some packaging paper in it, like the stuff to keep packages from getting messed up. There was an empty lot nearby. I carried the box there. I covered the body with some mulch and set the box down. I don't have a shovel in the car but maybe I should consider getting one and having it preset with a disposable cloth or something so that I can more easily handle these scenarios.

I set the box down towards the back of the empty lot, near an overlook of another road, by a bunch of trees. I picked up some branches, 5 roughly because 5 is a good number and I wanted to show some respect and 5 is one of the 3 numbers my OCD likes. I couldn't bury them, I had nothing else to cover them with. I don't know how long they'll stay there in that box. I just want them to have some dignity in their death, some privacy. Somewhere that they won't continue to be smashed over and over by passing cars. Someplace where they can rest and decompose in relative peace, at least temporarily.

I'm agnostic. I don't know what is out there for us when we die. I think, statistically speaking, that reincarnation must happen eventually in the sense that every atom that makes up my being at this exact moment in time will some day be in this exact makeup and form again later and has likely already been this way in the past. I don't know what kind of afterlife, if any, awaits us when we die. I have seen so many cats in my life die in so many horrible ways. Gunshot. Drowned/snakebite. Brain damage. FIV/FIP. Sudden heart failure. Malnourishment/neglect. I feel for them in a way that I think is hard to describe. I feel sad that I can't prevent these, or that there are cases where I could have prevented their death but I didn't. The cat who died of brain damage was one of our kittens when I was 3 or 4 years-old. I was waiting for the bus with my older cousin and I was watching the kitten playing in the road. I asked her if I should get the kitty out of the road so that they don't get hit and she said that the kitty would be fine. Then not even 5 minutes later a car came by and the kitty ran head first into the side of the tire. I watched the kitty's final moments as it convulsed and seized on the road before becoming still and dead. I don't even remember that kitten's name. I let that kitten die and I carry that with me like I carry the weight of every other thing I've ever done, ever could have done, and ever could have stopped, but didn't. I feel like a piece of poo poo and I take up way more resources than a cat, so why is it that some kind of god, gods, science, or fate deigned it necessary to let me witness what happens to others rather than putting me through it? What good does it do the world to take the life of a poor cat whose sole crime was crossing a road when it could have taken me long ago and left everyone I've ever wronged in a better way? What makes me so special that I'm granted life and that I get to continue to be the fuckup that I always am while the universe regularly takes away even the most helpless of living beings in such horrifying ways while I'm still on the computer with my most successful traits being the following 3 things:

1. listening to people when they have a problem
2. being a punching bag for people because I hate myself and most likely bring the problems onto myself anyway
3. needing to keep things in lists of 3, 5, or 10 because without those numbers, my OCD doesn't cooperate and I feel like I will explode

Why does a small cat have to die in a world where I exist as white noise given form? I do nothing that nobody else here is capable of doing.

I cried for the cat. I cover them up. I said my peace and I hope that if there is an afterlife of some kind, that they are able to find peace there, and that I was sorry that they had to suffer and not someone far more deserving.

Rest In Peace that cat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not looking for validation, I'm not looking for people saying "aw you did a good thing" or "oh my god stop beating yourself up" or "quit humble bragging" or "stop with the pity party sadbrains bullshit" or anything. I don't really know what I'm looking for. But I think it's important for me to put it out there, to let it just sit there, let others see it if they want and skip it if they don't.

White Noise.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
ffvii remake demo whips rear end

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

al-azad posted:

Really I'm more impressed by the Riddler who has built city-sized infrastructure unknown to literally everyone but I guess that has always been his shtick since the awesome minotaur maze episode of Batman animated.

:actually: he didn't build that. It was an existing attraction that he hijacked for his own purposes.

Though while we're on the subject, reminder that BTAS Riddler was a game developer who got the rights to his game swindled away from him and then ousted from the company, never getting a cent from the smash hit he created. :eyepop:

Help Im Alive posted:

and batman is allowed infinite tries

The justification for the Riddler races is that they're giving him valuable data on the batmobile, so infinite tries isn't that weird.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 4, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm not looking for validation, I'm not looking for people saying "aw you did a good thing" or "oh my god stop beating yourself up" or "quit humble bragging" or "stop with the pity party sadbrains bullshit" or anything. I don't really know what I'm looking for. But I think it's important for me to put it out there, to let it just sit there, let others see it if they want and skip it if they don't.

White Noise.

I mean, while I understand this in general, this maybe isn’t the best thread for a graphic description of roadkill, even under spoiler tags.

Maybe that’s just me though. :shrug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dude just chill

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bowsette is postmodern trans-inclusive feminism, kyriarch

Healbot posted:

I'm probably not the only one boycotting this months poll because of no Bowsette.

:hai:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

May 8, 2006

sorry about the lack of bowsette y'all, our honeymoon ran long and we didn't get back in time for this months poll

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

sorry about the lack of bowsette y'all, our honeymoon ran long and we didn't get back in time for this months poll
is bowsette like the animorphs, if she wears the crown for too long is she stuck like that forever

May 8, 2006

no it's cool to leave it on as long as you want

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

White Noise.

:hf:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

what the heck I'm right here!!

May 8, 2006

Looper posted:

what the heck I'm right here!!

sorry i didn't want the thread to know you've been bowsette this whole time

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Parasite Eve 2 is super cool but then falls victim to "the last 1/3 of the game has to be W A C K Y" squaresoft syndrome and goes totally off the rails

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It scares me more than anything else to think that there might be a time when people no longer care about Bowsette.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I said come in! posted:

It scares me more than anything else to think that there might be a time when people no longer care about Bowsette.

:same:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

that time came and went, about a year and a half ago

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Let Bowsette die in pisspeace

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bowsette burns eternal

E: On anxiety chat and whatnot I kind of get where IK is coming from if I'm being honest. I've mentioned it before but I get overwhelmed pretty easily by doomtalk and it's shockingly easy to make me just kinda depressed and gloomy. These forums have been a healthy (imo) escape from that because of how goofy it can be, so having someone barge into a thread and 'we're all going to die' just spikes that anxiety in me that I'm trying to avoid- I have enough of it in my life as is. People going into the animal crossing thread going "haha I'm going to die of corona before I get to play this :)" or "I'm naming mine virus island" is like... not really needed? It just makes me want to avoid those threads because it's just depressing and I don't want to hear about it when lifes a struggle enough as is for me :smith:

I think venting is fine but coming in as bleak as possible just makes me super anxious personally. Everyone deserves a reassuring pat on the back so to say, just don't want to feel like poo poo when I try.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 5, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bowsette burns eternal

In hell.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lurdiak posted:

In hell.

I mean haven't you played Mario 3? Bowsers got castles down there. Not really surprising.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hey, EVO 2020 is going ahead as scheduled. I suppose they assume fighting game fans have strong immune systems because they live in filth.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gripweed posted:

I suppose they assume fighting game fans have strong immune systems because they live in filth.
Smash players are gonna kill the FGC through viral attack.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Gripweed posted:

Oh hey, EVO 2020 is going ahead as scheduled. I suppose they assume fighting game fans have strong immune systems because they live in filth.

Yeh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I stayed in Tokyo forever ago the girl I was staying with/dating worked at a little beef bowl stand whose claim to fame was their special sauce

The sauce was literally just 50/50 sriracha/ketchup lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bowsette burns eternal

E: On anxiety chat and whatnot I kind of get where IK is coming from if I'm being honest. I've mentioned it before but I get overwhelmed pretty easily by doomtalk and it's shockingly easy to make me just kinda depressed and gloomy. These forums have been a healthy (imo) escape from that because of how goofy it can be, so having someone barge into a thread and 'we're all going to die' just spikes that anxiety in me that I'm trying to avoid- I have enough of it in my life as is. People going into the animal crossing thread going "haha I'm going to die of corona before I get to play this :)" or "I'm naming mine virus island" is like... not really needed? It just makes me want to avoid those threads because it's just depressing and I don't want to hear about it when lifes a struggle enough as is for me :smith:

I think venting is fine but coming in as bleak as possible just makes me super anxious personally. Everyone deserves a reassuring pat on the back so to say, just don't want to feel like poo poo when I try.

the thing i was mad about wasnt the discussion itself just the way ik responded sucked. saying to someone you think is down or depressed "are you just trying to make everyone else as depressed as you" or "if you even think this you need some loving help" is really really bad and uncool.

as for the thing itself it sucks bcos theres no happy medium it feels like. some people feel bad when someone else says something negative, but those people feel bad when they feel like theyre alone in feeling how they do cos everyone else seems fine. i dont know what the answer is or anything i just dont think the way they responded in particular is acceptable.