Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

Did he have a family

Yeah he dropped the old 50s casual misogyny and replaced it with some kind of Family Circus reform misogyny.

Waifu and kids join in the criminal enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Stainless Steel Rat is kind of a comedy series.

hey man, have some respect, he just dropped out of the race today.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DC Murderverse posted:

hey man, have some respect, he just dropped out of the race today.

Ladies and gentlemen: Smashmouth

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

My headcanon is that the US military in the film's world was desegregated because the Union needed extra soldiers after the Confederates, like the Nazis in the movie, found an elder god corpse they mined for its blood.

Which is to say the movie is also the closest thing we have to a Bloodborne adaptation.

Is that where they were getting the blood from? I didnt think they alluded why it just happened to be under the church.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Is that where they were getting the blood from? I didnt think they alluded why it just happened to be under the church.

They never said what substance the Nazis were mining, but it does sound a lot like the backstory for Bloodborne.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

They never said what substance the Nazis were mining, but it does sound a lot like the backstory for Bloodborne.

They did, it was tar they found under the church. But it wasn't usable until they marinated a human in the tar for a few days and then drained the blood out of the person.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They did, it was tar they found under the church. But it wasn't usable until they marinated a human in the tar for a few days and then drained the blood out of the person.

Imagine the trial/error process for finding out how that works.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Imagine the trial/error process for finding out how that works.

It's exactly the sort of stupid poo poo the nazis would have figured out though. The V2 program killed ten times more people who were working on it than they managed to kill on purpose.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
No Time to Die has been delayed until November lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

aware of dog posted:

I assume because they don’t want to lose the Chinese box office?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's also weirdly predicts the basic plot of Star Trek: Picard

What the gently caress is even going on with Picard, man, it's like they used Patrick Stewart as an in to make a weird B-tier farscape/cowboy bebop/lexx pastiche while rapidly running away from anything star trek related and I'm not sure how to take it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

I assume because they don’t want to lose the Chinese box office?

Not just China. At this point you really have to think about going to a crowded movie theater no matter where you are. At least with other events like sports or concerts there's more open air and space to move around in, a movie theater is just a small room with like 100 strangers germs constantly floating around your face.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Not just China. At this point you really have to think about going to a crowded movie theater no matter where you are. At least with other events like sports or concerts there's more open air and space to move around in, a movie theater is just a small room with like 100 strangers germs constantly floating around your face.

Somewhere, some theater should re-run Contagion for yucks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is Contagion streaming anywhere? I kind of want to watch it again.

Netflix has Outbreak and Carriers, which I remember as being a decent-enough pre-Star Trek Chris Pine vehicle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How about Doomsday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVoqCbUKhnA

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Is Contagion streaming anywhere? I kind of want to watch it again.

Netflix has Outbreak and Carriers, which I remember as being a decent-enough pre-Star Trek Chris Pine vehicle.

JustWatch says it's on Cinemax's service MaxGo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
No time for no time to die...people died :(

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

aware of dog posted:

They should get it over with and delay until January.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we will die in november though?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

aware of dog posted:

god drat any chance of Godzilla vs. Kong clawing back lost ground at the box office just got flushed down the fuckin toilet

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I feel like No Time to Die is probably gonna kinda flounder. People kinda hated Spectre, and No Time to Die just kinda looks like more Spectre, with even the theme just being the instrumental to Spectre's but with William Eyelash singing instead.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

No time for no time to die...people died :(

No no
no no no no
no no no no
no no
there's no time to die

For reference for everyone not growing up in 90s Europe, but disclaimer: it is horrible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly I feel like No Time to Die is probably gonna kinda flounder. People kinda hated Spectre, and No Time to Die just kinda looks like more Spectre, with even the theme just being the instrumental to Spectre's but with William Eyelash singing instead.

not a bad song all things considered

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Bond movies have always been a reaction to the last film, so it'll be fine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it actually owns?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

not a bad song all things considered

It's not the worst song, and Billie does better than Sam Smith did, but "remind people of the Bond movie that sucked rear end" isn't a fantastic call.

CelticPredator posted:

Bond movies have always been a reaction to the last film, so it'll be fine.

You're not strictly wrong, but this particular movie seriously just looks like Spectre 2.

e: also there better not be any making GBS threads on 2 Unlimited going on in here

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

it actually owns?

Try being subjected to it as "your" music for a stretch of your youth. But listening/looking at it with some distance now, I can kinda agree.

edit: til that 2 Unlimited had more than one song.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 4, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Unlike spectre it don't look like it was filmed through a jar of piss.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's not the worst song, and Billie does better than Sam Smith did, but "remind people of the Bond movie that sucked rear end" isn't a fantastic call.

Mm yes the one Bond film that sucked rear end

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Mm yes the one Bond film that sucked rear end

The very recent Bond movie that sucked rear end, with the same actor, to narrow it down.

(That said, Spectre's probably legit the worst Bond movie. Even A View to a Kill has one of the best themes, plus Walken and Grace Jones. Spectre's got nothing.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The very recent Bond movie that sucked rear end, with the same actor, to narrow it down.

(That said, Spectre's probably legit the worst Bond movie. Even A View to a Kill has one of the best themes, plus Walken and Grace Jones. Spectre's got nothing.)

Nah, Batista does a lot with very little, and the train fight and car chase are both good, as is the whole sequence in Mexico (even as it's utter nonsense if you're mexican, which my wife never fails to point out) It's a spectacular,, elaborate execution of a very bad script. There's a lot of really cool bits that are wasted on a really lovely, meandering plot that winds up saying less than nothing.

Doomsday loving rules. It's five movies mashed into one and i will always love it for that. I miss Neil Marshall.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I would say the entire opening sequence is one of the best in the series. Then you can turn the movie off right when the song starts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alan Smithee posted:

it actually owns?

it sucks, but it's the good kind of suck

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, Batista does a lot with very little, and the train fight and car chase are both good, as is the whole sequence in Mexico (even as it's utter nonsense if you're mexican, which my wife never fails to point out) It's a spectacular,, elaborate execution of a very bad script. There's a lot of really cool bits that are wasted on a really lovely, meandering plot that winds up saying less than nothing.

Nowadays Mexico City actually does do that parade because it brings so many tourists there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cacator posted:

I would say the entire opening sequence is one of the best in the series. Then you can turn the movie off right when the song starts.

I legit think it has a really good joke in the opening - when Bond and the woman go into the hotel room and they're both in full Day of the Dead regalia, then the camera turns away for a second, and then it turns back to show that Bond has immediately changed into a suit. That always makes me laugh, and for once I feel like I'm laughing with the movie.

Actually thinking of it now, I wonder if that whole one-shot opening sequence was what made Mendes want to do it for a full movie.

I will give Spectre one thing, it answered the question of "what if Daniel Craig was in a Connery-era Bond movie?" The answer: it would suck.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pospysyl posted:

Nowadays Mexico City actually does do that parade because it brings so many tourists there.

Fun fact according to a friend: all the extras in the scene are italian. Despite shooting in the middle of Mexico city, in one of its most famous buildings (the hotel) the production shipped in dozens of italian extras to play mexicans in a parade they made up. You read that sentence and you start to understand why film costs are ballooning.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sam Mendes makes nice diorama movies

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I recently rewatched it with my dad, a huge bond fan, and that escape sequence after the torture scene (which even has a cat being pet!) ending with the whole facility mysteriously firebombed made us laugh. Just love how absurd that bit is. And they get a helicopter to fly off!

E: come to think of it bond chasing batista and Swann in his plane which keeps getting more and more ruined but somehow still winning was also a really funny action sequence

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I recently rewatched it with my dad, a huge bond fan, and that escape sequence after the torture scene (which even has a cat being pet!) ending with the whole facility mysteriously firebombed made us laugh. Just love how absurd that bit is. And they get a helicopter to fly off!

E: come to think of it bond chasing batista and Swann in his plane which keeps getting more and more ruined but somehow still winning was also a really funny action sequence

I completely forgot about the plane sequence (gently caress it's a long movie) and yeah, it's got some good stuff. "no, stay." to one of the anonymous goons is a good line. But even then, it feels patched together. A baddie pulling out a syringe, the girl using it on him, and everyone immediately forgetting that they were going to sedate/kill this girl is either sloppy or a good gag, i can't quite decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What the gently caress is even going on with Picard, man, it's like they used Patrick Stewart as an in to make a weird B-tier farscape/cowboy bebop/lexx pastiche while rapidly running away from anything star trek related and I'm not sure how to take it.

If someone told me that there was a farscape/cowboy bebop/lexx pastiche starring Sir Patrick Stewart I would cancel all my plans and simply wait at the television until it appeared, no matter how long it took.

You, sir or madam, just described potentially the greatest TV show I've ever heard of.