Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah this is honestly way more interesting and game-changing than the Space UN or whatever. And it looks like it's got a lot of potential for modders to really expand on (and hopefully eventually for vanilla to expand on too, the dev's answering a lot of questions with "not right now we only had time to get the basics in but good idea for the future").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm gonna buy the DLC no matter what because I'm a broken person that owns every DLC for every modern Paradox game even the cosmetic and music ones. I need help.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zurai posted:

Seriously. Now I'm back to being actually interested in the DLC (although the AI pretty much has to be a free patch feature, doesn't it?).
Yeah the AI will be a base patch. Paying for fixed AI would be uh... yeah. This kind of technical debt remediation is extremely what I crave.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Yeah the AI will be a base patch. Paying for fixed AI would be uh... yeah. This kind of technical debt remediation is extremely what I crave.
Yeah its been part of what I think is extremely necessary for the game to have any value moving forward.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I'm back on board! gaem good

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm gonna buy the DLC no matter what because I'm a broken person that owns every DLC for every modern Paradox game even the cosmetic and music ones. I need help.

try switching to opiods and heroin. Its cheaper and has less ngayive health effects than paradox gaming binges.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

loving finally.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Sweet!

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Preview embargo has been lifted! So soon!

Quill18's Shattered ring start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDoyQfekTx4

Ogdred Weary fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2020

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

That was a pretty cool read.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Ogdred Weary posted:

Is that 100 starting food income? whoa

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The economic AI solution they went with is a great one and it's how I think they should deal with it. Have targets / checkpoints based on players performance and then code the AI to hit those targets.

I did some test games a while back and while the AI is competitive in early game, by midgame it goes into this weird... "do nothing" phase where the player keeps getting stronger and it's just sort of shuffling stuff and not really improving its empire. Hopefully this patch makes them actually competitive, which should make the rest of the mechanics more interesting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah all the diplomatic maneuverings in the world are pretty meaningless if you can just effortlessly own every single non-FE in the galaxy by like a century in. Still salty that there's some things I would consider absolutely key diplomatic features missing, but if the AI actually becomes halfway competent and challenging then this will be a worthwhile update for that alone.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Someone in here posted a couple days back that Aurora would be updating this month, but gently caress if I can navigate through the giant mess that is the Aurora forums to find the details there. Is there an actual date, or did Steve just say somewhere "oh yeah I'll probably put something out in March-ish when I feel like it"?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

scaterry posted:

Yeah, according to the code its a 1/17th chance. So every 85 years you could expected to obtain one.The rubricator spawning for everyone every game is just really immersion-breaking. It also leads to super feel-bads when your rubricator system spawns closer to your neighbor and wow! they get two relic worlds to your zero!

The Rubricator and the relic world are both good reasons to go to war with said neighbour, imo. I don't remember if the AI gets the digsite, necessarily, but it's not like a human player would have any easy way to get the relic before you can invade them, anyway.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Someone in here posted a couple days back that Aurora would be updating this month, but gently caress if I can navigate through the giant mess that is the Aurora forums to find the details there. Is there an actual date, or did Steve just say somewhere "oh yeah I'll probably put something out in March-ish when I feel like it"?
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10096.msg118991#msg118991

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm real mad that I'm suddenly mad hype for patch and it's not due out for over a week. I was comfortably eh about it :argh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

scaterry posted:

Yeah, according to the code its a 1/17th chance. So every 85 years you could expected to obtain one.The rubricator spawning for everyone every game is just really immersion-breaking. It also leads to super feel-bads when your rubricator system spawns closer to your neighbor and wow! they get two relic worlds to your zero!

This is what infuriates me to no end. If they're going to spawn one for every player anyway, just spawn it connected to my borders, drat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ogdred Weary posted:

Uh, is that ring world start available to people who don't buy the latest expansion? Because it would be a very ::Paradox:: thing to do to respond to complaints about megastructure balance by selling you a DLC that starts you off with one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lol nope, Origins are expansion only. Probably the only reason to buy this expansion

Ogdred Weary posted:

Oh god I've listened to 10 seconds and I'm already furious

e2: lol those game settings. Commodore, scaling difficulty, no advanced civs, 0.25 habitable worlds but I start on a ring word. You might as well play multiplayer against a monkey

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 6, 2020

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Quill used to be alright, but I find that he's somehow become more insufferable to watch than Arumba.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

lol nope, Origins are expansion only. Probably the only reason to buy this expansion
Not quite, the origin mechanic will be in standard. There's some specific origins locked to the Federations DLC, and originified versions of DLC locked civics are locked to the originating DLC.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Right now there's a crazy Paradox build-a-bundle over at Humble; huge discounts on the entire Paradox catalog plus in the bundle you get an additional 80-85% off on top of those. Good time to buy some Paradox-published games if you're interested in trying EU4, Battletech, any of the Shadowrun games, etc. The bundle includes Stellaris but none of the DLCs, but those are still heavily-discounted regardless

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-build-your-own-bundle/?hmb_source=store_home

:siren: Free games for bigger discounts alert: there are numerous games available for the bundle that are like $2-3, but can activate a larger bundle discount and therefore reduce the the total cost of your cart when you add them. So even if you only want 1-2 things, you can actually get an even bigger discount + some free games by just adding cheap things to your cart.

For example: I've added Battletech Mercenary Edition (e.g. base game + season pass), Tyranny, and Surviving Mars. MSRP $185, after bundling discounts: $35. Then I add Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the cart total becomes $33.50. Then I add Hearts of Iron 3, and the cart total becomes $31.12. I'm getting a $4 discount while getting a free copy of HOI3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Or say that I only wanted Battletech Mercenary Edition, on its own it's $30. Then I add some cheap games, like Majesty 2, HOI3, Age of Wonders, and Crusader Kings Complete. Now the cart costs $19.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
I have a conundrum in my current game. The Rubricator spawned behind a system with the enigmatic fortress in it.

Is there any way to throw some Corvettes in the way of the fortress and sneak a science ship and builder through or am I screwed?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

Right now there's a crazy Paradox build-a-bundle over at Humble; huge discounts on the entire Paradox catalog plus in the bundle you get an additional 80-85% off on top of those. Good time to buy some Paradox-published games if you're interested in trying EU4, Battletech, any of the Shadowrun games, etc. The bundle includes Stellaris but none of the DLCs, but those are still heavily-discounted regardless

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-build-your-own-bundle/?hmb_source=store_home

:siren: Free games for bigger discounts alert: there are numerous games available for the bundle that are like $2-3, but can activate a larger bundle discount and therefore reduce the the total cost of your cart when you add them. So even if you only want 1-2 things, you can actually get an even bigger discount + some free games by just adding cheap things to your cart.

For example: I've added Battletech Mercenary Edition (e.g. base game + season pass), Tyranny, and Surviving Mars. MSRP $185, after bundling discounts: $35. Then I add Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the cart total becomes $33.50. Then I add Hearts of Iron 3, and the cart total becomes $31.12. I'm getting a $4 discount while getting a free copy of HOI3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Or say that I only wanted Battletech Mercenary Edition, on its own it's $30. Then I add some cheap games, like Majesty 2, HOI3, Age of Wonders, and Crusader Kings Complete. Now the cart costs $19.

I just got $110 worth of games for $17 this is great

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dunite posted:

I have a conundrum in my current game. The Rubricator spawned behind a system with the enigmatic fortress in it.

Is there any way to throw some Corvettes in the way of the fortress and sneak a science ship and builder through or am I screwed?

The fortress doesn't move and doesn't cover the whole system, so you may be able to manually control your science and construction ships to go around it.

You can't distract it with corvettes though, once your ships are in combat the only way to escape is emergency ftl, even if they're not currently being shot at.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Just got the best start I've ever had except for only have two links out of my immediate area:

Those systems are:

1: 14, 100%
2: 18, 70%
3: 20, 100% + 15, 100%

e: And another 12 60% on the system to the right.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 6, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm assuming you have Extremely Habitable, or maybe the game is just showering you with Gaia worlds idk.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Serephina posted:

I'm assuming you have Extremely Habitable, or maybe the game is just showering you with Gaia worlds idk.

I'm playing as Lithoid (+50% hab) but I've never gotten that many planets in adjacent systems before, not even close. 5 adjacent systems with 6 planets with 3 of them 15+.

e: Default settings except difficulty.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 6, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Im guessing robots

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

thanks

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Looking forward to sabotaging the AI by giving them 10-year trades of a resource income that they'll replace all domestic production of

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ShadowHawk posted:

Looking forward to sabotaging the AI by giving them 10-year trades of a resource income that they'll replace all domestic production of

Almost certainly the AI gives no shits abound running a deficit and will just keep chugging forwards as normal.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Serephina posted:

Almost certainly the AI gives no shits abound running a deficit and will just keep chugging forwards as normal.
In the dev diary linked above the AI very much cares.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

PittTheElder posted:

Oh god I've listened to 10 seconds and I'm already furious

e2: lol those game settings. Commodore, scaling difficulty, no advanced civs, 0.25 habitable worlds but I start on a ring word. You might as well play multiplayer against a monkey

Have you perhaps considered not getting irrationally upset that people don't play the game the same way as you do?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ogdred Weary posted:

Whoops I got two seconds in and somehow my fist ended up directly through my monitor, weird.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

Have you perhaps considered not getting irrationally upset that people don't play the game the same way as you do?

Certainly not.

Really it's just that with those settings you'll have outpaced all the AIs in 20 years. Unless the AI upgrades really are going that far.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Quill's not playing Stellaris well optimally so it will balance out a bit. I remember how he won his pacifist achievement run by hiding and having the Unbidden basically wipe out everyone else in the galaxy for him.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabor posted:

You can't distract it with corvettes though, once your ships are in combat the only way to escape is emergency ftl, even if they're not currently being shot at.

That's not quite accurate. I've had construction ships path through a system where they aggro'd something, but before they took enough damage to die they were able to make it to the other side of the system and continue on their path.

Ogdred Weary posted:

That's a really cool starting position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Looks like we'll be drip fed one origin preview VOD a day until release. Let's hope the embargo lifts soon.