Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sleekly posted:

It's fun. That's what's gained. Human players are usually so much deadlier, or at least more unpredictable than NPCs that killing them and wrecking their poo poo is it's own reward.
Stick to story if you don't want this, it's the reason online exists. To interact with others.

I thought it was to get blown up endlessly and called racial epithets by invincible players in KKK robes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
F...f...un?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sleekly posted:

It's fun. That's what's gained. Human players are usually so much deadlier, or at least more unpredictable than NPCs that killing them and wrecking their poo poo is it's own reward.
Stick to story if you don't want this, it's the reason online exists. To interact with others.

I've been playing online every single day for the past 2 months, and I have never been killed while doing a trading mission :shrug:

Actually I've been shot at only twice; got killed once, managed to escape the second time.

So I'm not bothered at all, since apparently 99% of players think and play like I do and you guys are the ones that are "abnormal", luckily :) If I ran into a guy that killed me every hour or so, I'd have already stopped playing a long time ago.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I refuse to do Trader for myself since it reminds me too much of things I did too much of in GTAO. I do help my friends with it, though, an they quit doing long-distance sales in populated sessions after being a attacked a couple times. Short sales we've never had a problem with normal players, only with modders interfering but you can't do much about that.

Now they just firewall themselves off in private sessions to make long sales lol mission accomplished R*

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I played online because I like to pretend I'm a bad rear end cowgirl. I also only ever went after long distance wagons if there was nothing else I felt like doing. You put a target on your back and I'm gonna take a shot, especially if it means I have to hunt less.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

what you look for in video games is subjective. Some people like building and making money and doing that sort of stuff. Some people like RDMing around. Games are what you make of them and with online games the styles can clash. dont poo poo on a person because they like spending time on a cart to try and make money and dont poo poo on a guy who plays solely because they like to click on heads and watch them die.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seems like with the rise of mobile gaming the definition of what a game even is has changed. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but its difficult to adjust if you've been used to a certain idea of what a game should be. Lately its been really difficult to read reviews because of this. Some people are ok as long as game has pretty pictures, others need the game to stomp their balls. For me personally I need games to be immersive in some way that I can't properly verbalize.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I mostly just gather collectibles and play with costumes. If a player attacks me, I leave. It's a simple life.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Transmogrifier posted:

I played online because I like to pretend I'm a bad rear end cowgirl. I also only ever went after long distance wagons if there was nothing else I felt like doing. You put a target on your back and I'm gonna take a shot, especially if it means I have to hunt less.

Yeah I wish the game explained it a little more explicitly but I don’t hate how the trader system is set up. If you enjoy the danger of being hunted, pick the long distance option and put a target on your back. If you’d rather chill and be left alone pick the easy one

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I googled a bit about this but all I found was a bunch of issues with a similar bug instead: when I go to any towns jail/sheriff, it says there's a bounty available, but when I go up to the board and hold e or whatever to view bounty, Arthur just reaches for a non-existent paper and pulls it down, it makes the folding paper sound and everything, and the animation ends with nothing happening. All the sheriffs say there is a bounty available but I'm effectively unable to do them. I have no outstanding bounty, its daytime, etc.

Is this a known bug?

From last page, having trouble finding any solution by googling still :(

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I guess I fed my horse the carrot of doom

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just hopped back in online because I got of tired of MW2.
I haven't played since launch, and it looks like there's a ton of new stuff. Like player roles?
Collector looked pretty cool so I went for that. Does anybody have some do's and don'ts?
Like what should I use the tokens on?

EDIT: welp, the tokens don't actually unlock the stuff. They just allow you to buy the now unlocked gear. Too bad, really wanted that $500 dollar saddle.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 1, 2020

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Get over it, it's a video game. Your wagon doesnt mean poo poo, stop getting mad when people blow it up.

Sorry you can't stroke your autism by spending hours at a time calmly coaxing a wagon between towns with zero danger so your numbers go up.

You sound stable. How about you tone down the ableism and hug your mother?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Sleekly posted:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yknow what's also fun. Chilling out with friends, fishin, Doing missions, talking to people and playing poker with randos. If you dont like that stick to story were you can just kill whoever you want. :smug:

Like I said different playstyles. No way is the correct way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I just popped in to say that it's very frustrating listening to my pc gamer friend's updates about his gradual progress through this game. I want to talk about the ending! He just asked my if my Arthur was mostly underweight or overweight. Oh god he has no idea.

But the last few posts make it sound like multiplayer has much improved since I last played it shortly after launch, can you play now without other players murdering you every ten minutes? If so I might go and play some soon.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think this game handles the pvp/non-pvp aspect pretty well, defensive mode seems perfectly fine to let you avoid that interaction. The only real problem is that the game doesn't do a good job of telling you when you're going to do something that is going to cause you to leave defensive mode. Obviously joining a pvp shootout event makes sense, but not putting you back into defensive after the event is over is pretty annoying as you load back to the game world.

I usually avoid PVP but recently have been running around with a bounty on my head to see if anyone comes to collect. So far nobody has, and I thought it was going to be an issue with today's "emote at other players" daily but nope. This is a game where 95% of the time people seem to just want to get along doing whatever they're doing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Other players won’t get a chance to see your bounty until it’s over 20 bucks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

and at ten bucks you get NPC bounty hunters chasing you, for a little extra fun

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seems like with the rise of mobile gaming the definition of what a game even is has changed. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but its difficult to adjust if you've been used to a certain idea of what a game should be. Lately its been really difficult to read reviews because of this. Some people are ok as long as game has pretty pictures, others need the game to stomp their balls. For me personally I need games to be immersive in some way that I can't properly verbalize.
I think there is a quality RDR2 has that I'm just really worried won't occur in games again. Even Rockstar games. It's not just the immersive detail or how real things feel. It's also being just such a quiet and earnest game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you've played Single Player, "Quiet" is right for Online. Online is so much more lifeless compared to it even for a multiplayer experience.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Hexenritter posted:

I thought it was to get blown up endlessly and called racial epithets by invincible players in KKK robes

Yep, this is where I tapped out.

Edit:

FuturePastNow posted:

PSA the firewall rules used to create a solo public session in GTAO also works for RDO, you just have to take a couple extra steps first, since the game will just disconnect you if you do this in a populated session.

1) load online 2) start a solo mission (like a Moonshiner story mission) 3) go to interaction menu and start to change your character's appearance (this is free as long as you don't confirm/save changes) 4) while in the character editor, enable firewall rules 5) cancel/exit appearance change

Gave this a spin on a whim and not only did it work, but it fixed my infinite loading bug problem when I wanted to bounce back to single player. Abundant animals, too.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 2, 2020

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

shut up blegum posted:

I just hopped back in online because I got of tired of MW2.
I haven't played since launch, and it looks like there's a ton of new stuff. Like player roles?
Collector looked pretty cool so I went for that. Does anybody have some do's and don'ts?
Like what should I use the tokens on?

EDIT: welp, the tokens don't actually unlock the stuff. They just allow you to buy the now unlocked gear. Too bad, really wanted that $500 dollar saddle.

Don't buy maps

Do use this map instead (make sure to set what tools you have so you don't go hunting things you can't actually get yet)

Also something I always forget to do but remember to actually read the skill pamphlets when you unlock them.

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 1, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and that map changes every day a little after 7pm eastern. Also, save yourself a lot of headache by just turning off Wild Flowers and Eggs.

Try not to grind collector if you enjoy your sanity. Leave it open and occasionally go pick up a few things when you're waiting on a buddy or a timer or something. You'll get a bunch of collectibles just from looting enemies. Eventually you'll notice most collections are just a couple items short and then you can use the map to find the last few things you need and turn in a bunch of collections at once for 2 to 4 thousand bucks.

In the options of the map, turn off shovel and metal detector until you have them, and buy them as soon as possible. Shovel and then Metal Detector since the metal detector items also require a shovel.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 1, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

If you've played Single Player, "Quiet" is right for Online. Online is so much more lifeless compared to it even for a multiplayer experience.
I've played both, but Online was too WELCOME TOO WESTWORLD for me.

When I say quiet I mean more that the game feels very deliberate and slow. But it's not just that. Rockstar games tend to be very edgy with everyone being a dick to each other. But after twenty years of GTA Humor, Arthur sheepishly just going, "I don't know" when asked to restate a previous alias he used with the same NPC is one of the funniest things in a game. It just has this chill, sugar-free vibe.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zesty posted:

Try not to grind collector if you enjoy your sanity.

I don't think they're going to do another money bonus on these :(

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Forgot to maintain my 80-day streak yesterday. I now feel relieved and relaxed. Going to let this game rest a while now.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I've played both, but Online was too WELCOME TOO WESTWORLD for me.

When I say quiet I mean more that the game feels very deliberate and slow. But it's not just that. Rockstar games tend to be very edgy with everyone being a dick to each other. But after twenty years of GTA Humor, Arthur sheepishly just going, "I don't know" when asked to restate a previous alias he used with the same NPC is one of the funniest things in a game. It just has this chill, sugar-free vibe.

Arthur's inability use a proper alias or to not introduce himself as Arthur Morgan: wanted outlaw to literally everyone still gets me even in chapter 6

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
American Venom never fails to get me hootin' and hollerin'

2 wishes:

1.) they remake red dead 1 adapted to rdr2's engine already
2.) Red dead 3 is a prequel prequel and we play as young Dutch and form the gang with Hosea. Post-game we play as Arthur after the ferry heist or whatever.

\/\/\/ or this

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 5, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They could keep the symmetry by having you play as Mac in the main story and then Arthur in the epilogue.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I'm getting back into the Online from PC coming from ps4. I'm usually only for a couple hours from Wednesday - the weekend evenings in PST. If anyone still plays online and wants a bounty buddy or w/e lmk. I need cash and collector runs get super boring.

Speaking of collectors, the github map that is so very helpful says that there are bugged coins, is that a current thing? I haven't done any coin collections because i don't want to spend the time if it can't cash it in, but they are definitely the most lucrative set.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Chuds McGreedy posted:

American Venom never fails to get me hootin' and hollerin'

2 wishes:

1.) they remake red dead 1 adapted to rdr2's engine already
2.) Red dead 3 is a prequel prequel and we play as young Dutch and form the gang with Hosea. Post-game we play as Arthur after the ferry heist or whatever.

\/\/\/ or this

You can't go too much further back in American history than RDR2 before things get a little too real for video games

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As much as I enjoy Dutch as a character, I feel like his story’s been told at this point. I guess you could see him in the early/good days where he rallies a band of misfits around high ideals, but given the arc of rdr2 it’d be hard to get too invested in that

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I always wanted to see them pick it back up with Jack in the 1920s

Not for any plot reason I just want a cowboy game where you can ride horses and drive model Ts

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I want to see something totally crazy like Undead Nightmare. Dutch and his gang get teleported through time or some poo poo.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Hosea for rdr3 or nothing :colbert:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oberst posted:

Arthur's inability use a proper alias or to not introduce himself as Arthur Morgan: wanted outlaw to literally everyone still gets me even in chapter 6

Considering that Arthur was a time-bending gunslinger with no family who could head shot 12 guys within 1-3 seconds while taking direct fire from a Gatling gun he really did not need any reason to hide his identity.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 5, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

As much as I enjoy Dutch as a character, I feel like his story’s been told at this point. I guess you could see him in the early/good days where he rallies a band of misfits around high ideals, but given the arc of rdr2 it’d be hard to get too invested in that

Isn't that how RDR2 plays when you already know the story in RDR1? You start RDR2 knowing all the gains you're making and things you're working for are all going to go to poo poo.

Hihohe posted:

Hosea for rdr3 or nothing :colbert:

I love Hosea a lot.

They could do it like they did in GTA 5 and have you play a few different characters, switching at will for goofing off and specific characters for specific missions. Definitely have Dutch and Hosea. Maybe write Annabelle as a gunslinger so she could be the third.

Story can end with Annabelle's death and then Arthur is the only playable character in the Epilogue. No loss of symmetry.

You can steal this, Rockstar, on the condition that you fix your terrible broken rear end online games. :rockstar:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2020

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wanna play as Sadie Adler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Red_Fred posted:

I wanna play as Sadie Adler.