Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
in honor of fallen comrades committing ritual suicide over super tuesday results, I bring you one of the Worst loving Things I Have Ever Seen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Going to need some mass reprints to counteract the effects of increasing scarcity, the symptom of rising legacy staple prices could be fatal to the format!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

It's because it isn't nearly as good as Uro, especially when you consider Graveyard Shell Uro + Emrakul.

Also it lacks the blue counterspells to stop the combo decks games 2 and 3.

There is a guy at our store who plays it, and his mana-base seems fines.

I know a guy who played a variant of the meme Rhinos + Clone Spells decks. It's... surprisingly effective if it ever gets to untap with a Rhino, because suddenly having a hand full of Rhinos is still a very easy way to win a game of Magic if your opponent ever has to interact with a board state involving exponentially more Rhinos as your life total just rebounds. It's main problem is though that most of the good decks in the format run 4 Thoughtsieze, and more then a few also run some number of Thought Erasure on top of that, and the deck is naturally terribly weak to hand disruption, especially in a format where they can't just tap out turn 4 and drop Rhinos because of stuff like Inverter and Heliod.

They've moved on to playing a meme Seven Dwarves + Clones deck instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

reddit is Bad

r/Freemagic is possibly one of the 5 lamest places you can possibly be online. I’ve never been, but Dylan screenshots some of the shot they talk about, and it’s like “wow you really got laughed off of Stormfront for being too nerdy”

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Bust Rodd posted:

r/Freemagic is possibly one of the 5 lamest places you can possibly be online. I’ve never been, but Dylan screenshots some of the shot they talk about, and it’s like “wow you really got laughed off of Stormfront for being too nerdy”

I didn't even need to go to freemagic to see a reddit take on "well maybe he was harassing women but it's not as bad as if he was selling party drugs".

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

wizzardstaff posted:

I didn't even need to go to freemagic to see a reddit take on "well maybe he was harassing women but it's not as bad as if he was selling party drugs".

Kibbler Goonquiz: On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the most moral action, where does selling party drugs fall? Would you be okay with auto banning drug dealers in magic?

To be clear: assault of any kind is unacceptable and worse than selling someone drugs, I just wanted to hear what not me ppl think about this

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don’t know where just the act of selling them would be, but I think killing off a witness is around a 9-10.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PleasantDirge posted:

Kibbler Goonquiz: On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the most moral action, where does selling party drugs fall? Would you be okay with auto banning drug dealers in magic?

To be clear: assault of any kind is unacceptable and worse than selling someone drugs, I just wanted to hear what not me ppl think about this

LMAO Pat Chapin was literally moneying pro-tours after serving time for selling coke Tim Allen style and a ton, an absolute TON of Upstate NY grinders paid for all their plane tickets etc by selling weed. Selling drugs isn’t a crime literally anyone should be punished for, it’s just one of the easiest ways to make money.

I would put it at a 1-2 on the morality scale.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I don’t know where just the act of selling them would be, but I think killing off a witness is around a 9-10.
You fool, just by posting this you are now the next person on Chapin's kill list.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Narset leak

quote:

Narset on Ikoria 1RUW
Legendary Planeswalker – Narset
+1: Add R, U, or W. Spend this mana only to cast noncreature spells.
-2: Draw a card, then discard a card. Narset deals damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the converted mana cost of the discarded card.
-6: You get an emblem that says “Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this emblem deals 2 damage to any target.”
Loyalty: 4

So which one of you is dankestmage99

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That was a leak from Tainen in this thread like a week or two ago, they were much more accurate this time than with Purphoros.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I remember. The question is, who's the rat

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

a shameful goon running to loving mtgfinance of all places

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Clowner posted:

Burglar Rat is the only Standard-legal rat at the moment.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

The Clowner posted:

I did post it in a discord, but I didn't put it on facebook, and I sure as hell wouldn't tell mtgfinance of all places. Rent-seeking bastards.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Have they spoiled all the Mystery Booster reprints yet?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Balon posted:

Have they spoiled all the Mystery Booster reprints yet?

Not the foils yet. There will be a twitch draft at 2pm pacific time that will show off some of the foils

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PleasantDirge posted:

Selling an elicit recreational drug you have no reason to think is adulterated in a way to be explicitly dangerous to another adult defaults to a 1 and goes up to maybe a 3-4 if the supply chain has actual real crimes upstream from your acquisition of the weight you're moving. (only a 3 because those crimes would be mitigated by decriminalization and thus the weight of the moral burden falls on the state.)

For reference angle shooting in Magic like refusing to move your yarded cards to exile because your opponent didn't specifically announce the RIP trigger is like a 4.5.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

PleasantDirge posted:

1-3 depending on the drug.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
You guys are generous, I was going to give drug-pushing a neutral 5 and reserve the lower range for morally positive actions like donating to charity and hugging your grandma.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

You guys are generous, I was going to give drug-pushing a neutral 5 and reserve the lower range for morally positive actions like donating to charity and hugging your grandma.

Donating to charity can be actively bad in some cases tho, it's not inherently morally positive

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

wizzardstaff posted:

Hugging your grandma can spread infectious disease to an Old who are prone to them.

Selling drugs is just selling a few moments of pure bliss and escape from the alienating cruelty of Hellworld. :unsmith:

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
He was selling mdma which is a significantly less destructive drug than alcohol

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Do I need to make an account to watch the twitch. Because I’m not willing to do that

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The American Dream posted:

Do I need to make an account to watch the twitch. Because I’m not willing to do that

No.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Selling an elicit recreational drug you have no reason to think is adulterated in a way to be explicitly dangerous to another adult defaults to a 1 and goes up to maybe a 3-4 if the supply chain has actual real crimes upstream from your acquisition of the weight you're moving. (only a 3 because those crimes would be mitigated by decriminalization and thus the weight of the moral burden falls on the state.)

For reference angle shooting in Magic like refusing to move your yarded cards to exile because your opponent didn't specifically announce the RIP trigger is like a 4.5.

This made me go back to look at the go to combat thing with thien nguyen and cesar segovia, holy poo poo that's a bad ruling. Happy to see that got changed because it seems like a stupid shortcut

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Owlbear Camus posted:

Supply chains of recreational drugs are almost always going to have crimes upstream; ethical consumption is hard enough under regular capitalism, let alone illegal, wildly unregulated capitalism. There's no such thing as fair trade MDMA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wizards just announced a Pioneer Masters product for Arena coming later this year, but didn't mention any potential paper release of said set, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around announcing it in this way-
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-march-2020-03-05

Like you have to be bringing your Pioneer reprint set to the platforms where people can currently play Pioneer...right?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Think "Vintage Masters", not "Modern Masters"

It's what they did on MTGO.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Like you have to be bringing your Pioneer reprint set to the platforms where people can currently play Pioneer...right?

Who even knows anymore. I think they have an algorithm that assembles a product name once a month, automatically generates a press release, and then the team is forced to create that product.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you're looking at it backwards - they can't do pioneer on arena until they start introducing the cards for it and they have to start somewhere

there isn't an accompanying paper announcement because there isn't a paper product, it's purely for arena

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

you're looking at it backwards - they can't do pioneer on arena until they start introducing the cards for it and they have to start somewhere

Why would your customers buy a product they can't use yet?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
.....they can play the cards when they buy the cards? what would make you think otherwise

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

flatluigi posted:

.....they can play the cards when they buy the cards? what would make you think otherwise

Where? Historic?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
probably unless they're a lot farther along on their road map for implementing pioneer in general for arena

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

wizzardstaff posted:

Sliding scale IMO, if you are selling drugs to keep your grans old folks home from closing 1, to finance child soldiers to fight your drug war 10

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

flatluigi posted:

probably unless they're a lot farther along on their road map for implementing pioneer in general for arena

This is the only thing that would make sense to me, unless these are going to be playable in Historic from the get-go.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

Buying pioneer cards and ending up only being able to use them in historic is loving stupid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean... you kind of have to assume that a proto pioneer format would be announced along side it, or more likely they are literally just going to drop blobs of Pioneer into Historic until it is literally Pioneer and then discontinue Historic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
to clarify since some of y'all seem to mainly follow arena only for what it means for paper, the devs have concluded that releasing old sets all at once would kind of suck in a few ways -- most importantly, there's no real good way to add in collecting newly introduced sets that wouldn't be rear end for people who can't spend the money to just buy several dozen packs or dump a bunch of wildcards on stuff that isn't standard-legal. there's also just not a great way to shove in rereleasing entire sets that wouldn't overshadow new releases (do you think the playerbase would rather get kaladesh boosters over ikoria?)

with that in mind, what they've moved towards is releasing curated, smaller sets of a chunk of 'important' cards & the tease of 'pioneer masters' is almost definitely one of those given its offhand mention in the same paragraph as the historic anthologies and their remaster of amonkhet. there's no chance of it being an accidental announcement of a new paper reprint set in that context, and since neither of the historic anthologies got a paper version it's unlikely that will.

edit: I spent a while typing this so I missed a few posts, but they've already announced that pioneer is coming to arena eventually. it'll probably live alongside historic, too, since their historic anthologies already include cards not legal in pioneer iirc