Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Well Amazon is bringing back Kids in the Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW22sAElpE

Kind of wonder how Buddy Cole will work in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fun fact: I'm wearing my "30 Helens Agree" shirt right now!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Foley and McKinney have stayed in the business and active so like, my hope would be that they've evolved from the more problematic stuff of the 90s and that they'd have a young cast/writing staff involved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW22sAElpE

Kind of wonder how Buddy Cole will work in this day and age.

I wonder how all the cross dressing will, very short hop from that to some stuff that could piss a bunch of people off.

But hell, all the old comedians from the 80s and 90s have been navigating the new cultural landscape so well, I'm sure it'll be fine!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah the reviews weren't good.

A quick glance at metacritic tells me that the names I tend to trust are the ones who gave the more positive reviews.

Anyway I love Alex Garland’s work so it would have taken a team of wild horses to drag me away from this one. Twenty minutes into the first episode and I am very intrigued!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

A quick glance at metacritic tells me that the names I tend to trust are the ones who gave the more positive reviews.

Anyway I love Alex Garland’s work so it would have taken a team of wild horses to drag me away from this one. Twenty minutes into the first episode and I am very intrigued!!!

Well I hope you enjoy it :)

https://twitter.com/RonanFarrow/status/1234999252381618178

Anyone think it's kind of weird that Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's son is the journalist whose (frankly, incredible) work blew the lid off the whole Weinstein thing and kicked off the metoo movement. I mean it's somewhat poetic but way to leverage your nepotistic advantages to do real good work. He's also apparently extremely estranged from his dad.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 5, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, yeah, Frank Sinatra is dead.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Well his dad had been dead since 1998 so I imagine it's hard to have a close relationship.

e: drat it beaten to the punch line

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh is that the rumor

I redpilled my bros on the Prince Harry pedigree issue the other day, the pics blew their minds

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Yes Sepinwall and Fienberg both gave it good reviews. Actual I even read the bad reviews, and even those make me want to give it a try. I have been following Garland since I read his novel The Beach back in like 99, and if I don't like this, it will be the first thing I haven't liked that he has been associated with.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

Oh is that the rumor

I redpilled my bros on the Prince Harry pedigree issue the other day, the pics blew their minds

I didn't know what he looked like until he showed up on Kimmy Schmidt and I was like come the gently caress on.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Croatoan posted:

Post them please. I do not have the gaming time I once had
If you only play one game a year, The Last of Us would be worth it

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

It's decent so far, and could be interesting. Alex Garland has more than earned my patience with his two feature films.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I liked both eps. Slow but cool.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

Oh is that the rumor

Mia has said it's quite possible that he is Frank's kid. Also he looks like Frank and nothing at all like Woody.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Post them please. I do not have the gaming time I once had
I'm not 100% sure but I think these were the ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_WGnRATY14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW2R_r6-ufQ

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Avenue 5 is great if you approach it as a Douglas Adams pitch about a beuarucratic fuckup in space

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Avenue 5 is great if you approach it as a Douglas Adams pitch about a beuarucratic fuckup in space

I reckon there's a lot of Roald Dahl too. Dahl did a lot of with stupid, greedy, short sighted adults who live in absurd semi-magical worlds full of sudden, but often deserved, violence and death. The show's design really reminds of Wonka's factory from the Gene Wilder verison of the film, particularly the glass tube elevators and the costuming.

(Also apparently most of the set is a single standing structure, which is insane.)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I've only watched the first 3 episodes of Avenue 5 and I really wanna like it. It just hasn't happened yet. I heard ep 5 was crazy so I'm gonna prolly decide after I watch that one if I wanna continue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Croatoan posted:

I've only watched the first 3 episodes of Avenue 5 and I really wanna like it. It just hasn't happened yet. I heard ep 5 was crazy so I'm gonna prolly decide after I watch that one if I wanna continue.

Five and Eight are crazy, Six is the most funny in a sitcom sense. Do with that what thou wilt.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also the episodes are only a half hour, so it's not the same time investment as some of the longer shows.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I've been kinda disappointed by Avenue 5 so far but episode 8 was loving fantastic. If this is the point where poo poo just goes off the rails completely I'm on board.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Avenue 5 has definitely building and building the intensity each week. You couldn't really start with where it is in episode 8 so I appreciate it starting slow in order to make the last few episodes as fun to watch as they are. I can understand not having much interest from the first few eps though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would say that it's a disaster show, but it tricks you by making you think the disaster is what's wrong with the ship, not what's wrong with the people on the ship.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I was really down on Avenue 5 early on, but I kept watching it and it really does get better. Partly it is adjusting to what the show is if you come in with expectations, and partly the storylines and characters get a lot more fun to watch as poo poo keeps happening.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Devs score is so loving good.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also today's Hot Ones with Pete Davidson is the first time I've thought "I really hope they have an epi pen in the studio..." :lol:

This was glorious. Props to him for not taking lovely nibbles on each wing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oops wrong thread

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 6, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also today's Hot Ones with Pete Davidson is the first time I've thought "I really hope they have an epi pen in the studio..." :lol:
"This is my 9/11."

He looks like he's in a lotttttt of pain haha

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Devs score is so loving good.

It really is. The rest of it is pretty good too. Devs and Dispatches from Elsewhere are scratching the itch for some intriguing weirdness. Both look great too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought the first two eps of Devs were just okay. It sure is taking its sweet time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Better Things is back so I’m going to do that thing where I shout at you all for not watching it because it’s one of the best shows on the air. You jerks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I posted a while back about not liking Avenue 5 after the first 4-5 episodes, but for some reason I stuck with it and actually quite enjoyed the last several. It's grown on me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Kevin James is using his youtube channel to create feature quality comedy sketches for fun I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTftkhQEP9o

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone have a good gif for screaming endlessly into the void?

Love is not blind, it’s broken: The Netflix show’s extreme form of heterosexuality is toxic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Apparently Kevin James is using his youtube channel to create feature quality comedy sketches for fun I guess

He still sucks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought they were just clips from a new sketch show but I guess he's just doing Youtube now? It's funnier than his bland CBS stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/1235981766382563333

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

It sucks to live in the transition from Golden Age to Dark Age. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

The first generation of kids to grow up with YouTube are adults now, it's ridiculously easy to find aspiring/unemployed video people now that all the people who thought they could hack it as professional YouTubers have flamed out.