Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

What would the Star Citizen achievements be?

about $50 each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I mean, what else am I supposed to do? Be one of those sickos who plays games for fun?!?!

well, yeah.

I greatly prefer achievements that surprise me rather than being a checklist of poo poo that the dev decided they spent 500 hours designing so you are forced to 'experience' it.

I like the ones that are like the blue tricks (gaps) in Tony Hawk games, example:
https://www.trueachievements.com/a9734/used-car-salesman-achievement

something that pops up when you do a cool thing as a natural part of playing the game. the points for this is too low.

this is a lovely achievement: https://www.trueachievements.com/a9788/marathon-man-achievement

'we deliberately hid poo poo so you have to look up online where they all are to cross this off the list.' the points for this is high because otherwise no one would bother.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
could you really not find all the terminals yourself dude.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I did but it was easier to grab that to illustrate a point than go digging around in other games to find a better one.

Make cheevos fun again.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I mean, of course I love games that are just fun to play, but man do I love a good checklist. Trophies/achievements are great at being secondary checklists to go after, plus I enjoy the timestamp that I can look back on, kind of like a gaming scrapbook. Skyrim was a phenomenal example of a game that not only was amazing to play, but the trophies drat near came naturally as well.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I liked the untitled goose game secret achievements because a lot of them were things that came naturally to me during play.

when I realised what the secret achievements were like it was easy to work out most of the others just by loving around and having fun.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hambeet posted:

I liked the untitled goose game secret achievements because a lot of them were things that came naturally to me during play.

when I realised what the secret achievements were like it was easy to work out most of the others just by loving around and having fun.
Yeah it was tight. It always bothered me when people complained about that game and it being "too short". For me it was a great little sandbox game to play around in. Whenever I got to a new area I just played around seeing what I could make happen, and only referred to the checklist when I had run out of things to do on my own.

One thing that made me sad was there weren't more unique interactions to reward this. I thought for sure that by bringing the bra all the way back to the dorky kid something cool would happen, but he didn't even acknowledge it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its been 14 years since achievements became a thing, you'd think they would reliably unlock or have some "hey, double check to see if I qualify for this" feature.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lmao, seems like XBL has issues in my region and didn't let me resume a game I had paused. I have to get off the couch to switch HDMI inputs AGAIN :mad:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey I am still considering a One X considering that price drop and all. Only issue is my 34" monitor that I plan to use only has a DP port accessible (PS4 is on HDMI input already). If I were to buy an Amazon DP-HDMI cable, would that work?

Also, any difference on the pack to buy? Appears to be a choice between GOW, Star Wars and NBA. None of those games really appeal to me... any hardware rev differences between the packs?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

slidebite posted:

Hey I am still considering a One X considering that price drop and all. Only issue is my 34" monitor that I plan to use only has a DP port accessible (PS4 is on HDMI input already). If I were to buy an Amazon DP-HDMI cable, would that work?

You would have to get an active adaptor for this to work, the Xbox isn't outputting Displayport.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You could plug the PS4 into the Xbox and the xbox to your monitor. This introduces some lag and requires two consoles to be running, but, Im suggesting this entirely only because it is possible.

Theres no difference in hardware between the bundles, and since youll be getting gamepass theres no reason to get the GOW or NBA ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You could also just get an HDMI switch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't know the One X had a pass-through - the latency is not a good thing though.

Any recommendations for a cheapo HDMI switch?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

You could also just get an HDMI switch.

I have one, and when I start the PS4, it automatically switch to it. But when I start the Xbox first, it stay unchanged and I have to manually change the switch.
Is a good solution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got a 4 in 2 out HDMI switch so I can put my computer on the TV or put my switch or xbox on my monitor. It is sometimes slow and sometimes stops responding, but it works great for me. But it looks like the one I got is no longer for sale, but that's probably how it goes with cheap devices from china like this.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Do they really not have a Forza Horizon 4 or Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle for the One X? Missed opportunity.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

Do they really not have a Forza Horizon 4 or Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle for the One X? Missed opportunity.

Forza is one thing (though of course it comes with Game Pass, and a bundle does exist at least in Europe), but RDR2 might be because there is/was a marketing deal between Sony and Rockstar that might prevent an Xbox+RDR2 console bundle altogether.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Maybe they were unofficial, but I saw tons of Xbox + RDR2 bundles out around launch. No custom console or anything but they def existed. Again may have just been retailer bundling.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Plenty of Fallout 76 bundles. That's open world and RDR2 is open world, so it's basically the same.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Maybe they were unofficial, but I saw tons of Xbox + RDR2 bundles out around launch. No custom console or anything but they def existed. Again may have just been retailer bundling.

When RDR2 launched Microsoft was doing a "buy a One X & RDR2 and we'll take $150 off" kind of thing. That's what I did, the console also came with Forza 7 & FH4. It was a pretty good deal at the time, I guess.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ErrEff posted:

Plenty of Fallout 76 bundles. That's open world and RDR2 is open world, so it's basically the same.

:hmmyes:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

You say Po-tah-to. I say Po-tay-to. You say Tah-mah-to. I say Dia-rrhea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would actually buy a Forza bundle if I could find one.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Started Ninja Gaiden 2 and it’s pretty sick, though I’m not really able to get into a rhythm with the combat yet, like I can in dmc and bayonetta. I remember people liking the original Xbox reboot too. Is that worth it still? Should i play that one first?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Started Ninja Gaiden 2 and it’s pretty sick, though I’m not really able to get into a rhythm with the combat yet, like I can in dmc and bayonetta. I remember people liking the original Xbox reboot too. Is that worth it still? Should i play that one first?

They are surprisingly different games despite being a close in time direct sequel. For most peoples money the first one is an all around better game, but the sequel has some choice bits.

For the sequel the things to keep in mind is a) dashing is full invulnerability, even for things that are on a delay like explosive kunai you get stuck with and b) you arent always trying to deal damage to enemies per se, your goal is to delimb them then go for the invulnerable kill move (y button) and c) absorbing the orbs your enemies drop powers up a special attack that deals absurd invulnerable damage. Spamming this as much as you can through a fight is nigh on baseline expectation.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Laserface posted:

well, yeah.

I greatly prefer achievements that surprise me rather than being a checklist of poo poo that the dev decided they spent 500 hours designing so you are forced to 'experience' it.

I like the ones that are like the blue tricks (gaps) in Tony Hawk games, example:
https://www.trueachievements.com/a9734/used-car-salesman-achievement

something that pops up when you do a cool thing as a natural part of playing the game. the points for this is too low.

this is a lovely achievement: https://www.trueachievements.com/a9788/marathon-man-achievement

'we deliberately hid poo poo so you have to look up online where they all are to cross this off the list.' the points for this is high because otherwise no one would bother.

All the Halo 3 achievements were perfect and beautiful

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ninja Gaiden 1 always felt like my sweet spot for a game that's supposed to be difficult and is built solely to exist at that difficulty. Haven't found any since that hit that balance for me personally. I feel like if I had enough time to sit around and play Dark Souls 1 that would have come into focus eventually because a few of the starting battles and first boss had me like :hmmyes: I get the appeal. I've tried just about every other FromSoft game and other than DS1 they've all been non-starters.

Liiiiike, I love it when Platinum games get difficult. There were some sections of Transformers Devestation and MG:R that were :discourse:

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 11, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DariusLikewise posted:

All the Halo 3 achievements were perfect and beautiful

The patched-in Vidmaster cheevos were good fun

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Best achievements were in GRAW where they'd give you an strange amount of points (32, 8, 2, 28, who knows?) and had achievements like "Get to the Top of the Multiplayer Leaderboard" which end up becoming impossible the longer the game is out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fried Watermelon posted:

Best achievements were in GRAW where they'd give you an strange amount of points (32, 8, 2, 28, who knows?) and had achievements like "Get to the Top of the Multiplayer Leaderboard" which end up becoming impossible the longer the game is out.

I liked the idea of the zero point Punishment Cheevos too

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I got a really well crafted email saying my XBLive was canceled at my request and payment refunded. OF course I didn't click on anything, and went to MS and verified my XBL is still active.

Probably a scam although it has a bunch of information correct, and the SPF and DKIM checks according to google. I haven't seen any recent reports of this kind of phishing mail. Is this common? Did their system glitch out?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
easy enough to just hover over the link and see if it's legit

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

we had an office 365 spoof/phishing email hit our business the other day that went to an 0365 login with prepopulated email address asking for the marks password.

thankfully a competitor in our industry got Cryptolocker'd a month ago and only just managed to get their systems back online last week, so we have been pretty heavy on the cyber-security front and nobody fell for it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is there any way to get a trial period of Live? Even if you've got an account on your 'Bone that used to have it but doesn't anymore?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Anyone playing bleeding edge tonight?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Anyone playing bleeding edge tonight?

Yes, me, after finding out the last achievements I have any hope of unlocking in Ori are a misery grind

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Please add medi0crity if you want a decent kulev or makutu. These teams are nightmarish right now

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I dunno how helpful I'll be bc I'm still getting a feel for it and I can't get a mic to work on my xbone but I just added you (lowaction) and I'll be playing a bit here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is there any way to get a trial period of Live? Even if you've got an account on your 'Bone that used to have it but doesn't anymore?

I think I have a trial code somewhere